What's new

MiG To Sign MiG-35 Fighter Contract With Russian Defense Ministry

really? i thought i had you as a mki kinda guy
My all time favorite A/C has been the Fulcrum.... Particularly this thrust vectoring OVT variant, I have never seen an aircraft do what this gal can do. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the OVT fly in Bangalore.

Apart from J-31s from China, MIG-35 from Russia is PAF's best bet.

Since MIG-35 is a evolution from MIG-29s, MIG-35s would see the light before J-31 becomes mature.

I would give MIG-35 70% chance against J-31 (30%)

JF-17 & J-10 are single engined and are not comparable to MIG-35s.

If PAF has no problem inducting JF-17s with a Russian engine why would it be a problem for the MIG-35s.

Note that Russia is selling weapons to both China and India. Neither of them have any issues of being sanctioned by Russia.

Yes. As I have mentioned apart from J-31, MIG-35 is the best bet.

Forget about Turkey. It is not going to happen.

MIG-35s could actually be cheaper (cost) than J-31s hence more affordable for Pakistan.

To prove your point regarding MIG-35 fits bill, please put detailed analyses why it fits and better choice??

To prove your point regarding MIG-35 fits bill, please put detailed analyses why it fits and better choice??

upload_2016-2-7_17-26-8.png

India always looks for 3:1 ratio with Pakistan. So India needs to spend 9 times more than Pakistan to get to the desired numbers

upload_2016-2-7_14-46-0.png

RAFALE can fly 326 nautical miles farther than the MIG-35. Not a big deal as India needs RAFALE's range for China not Pakistan while MIG-35 range should be good enough to cover India from Pakistan's perspective.

upload_2016-2-7_14-53-14.png

MIG-35 can fly 7,400 feet higher than RAFALE.

upload_2016-2-7_14-55-46.png

Not only can MIG-35 fly higher but also can climb faster at 5,000 more feet per minute than RAFALE.

upload_2016-2-7_14-58-20.png

MIG-35 cruises 264 knots faster than RAFALE.

upload_2016-2-7_15-0-53.png

MIG-35 produces 2,840 more pound-forces of thrust per engine than RAFALE.

To be continued in the next post...

Last edited:
upload_2016-2-7_15-5-44.png

RAFALE weighs 11,500 pounds less than MIG-35.

upload_2016-2-7_15-8-36.png

upload_2016-2-7_15-12-54.png

Overall MIG-35 gives bang for the buck and serves PAF's needs under a reasonable budget.

View attachment 292386

RAFALE weighs 11,500 pounds less than MIG-35.

View attachment 292388

View attachment 292390

Overall MIG-35 gives bang for the buck and serves PAF's needs under a reasonable budget.
There Various Upgrades And Improvements in Mig-35 Since its Debut in Aero india 2007

The NewMiG-35S/MiG-35D exhibits advancements on MiG-29K/KUB and MiG-29M/M2 fighters in combat efficiency enhancement, universality and operational characteristics improvement

The main features of the new design are the fifth-generation information-sighting systems, compatibility with Russian and foreign origin weapons application and an integrated variety of defensive systems to increase combat survivability. The new overall design overtakes the design concepts of the baseline model and enables the new aircraft to conduct full-scale multi-role missions as their western counterparts

New fighter has vastly improved avionics and weapon systems, notably the new AESA radar and the uniquely designed Optical Locator System (OLS), relieves the aircraft from relying on ground-controlled interception (GCI) systems and enables it to conduct independent multi-role missions.

MiG-35 is compatible with Russian and foreign-origin weapons applications and an integrated variety of defensive systems to increase combat survivability. The MiG-35 is fitted with the newly rolled-out Phazotron Zhuk-AE active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar. The Phazotron Zhuk-AE AESA radar offers a wider range of operating frequencies, providing more resistance to electronic countermeasures (ECM), more detection range, more air and ground targets detected, tracked and able to be engaged simultaneously. The radar is thought to have detection range of 160 km (86 nmi) for air targets and 300 km (160 nmi) for ships.

An aircraft variant is powered with the RD-33OVT engine, which comes with thrust vectoring nozzles, and can direct thrust in two directions or planes. The newly designed Optical Locator System, OLS-35, allows the MiG-35 to detect targets and aim weapon systems. But, unlike radar, OLS has no emissions, meaning it cannot be detected. The OLS on the MiG-35 is considered to help pilots to spot even the USAF's stealth planes. OLS includes a complex of powerful optics with IR vision that makes it impossible for any plane to hide.

@Basel This Fighter is Beast in Making Have Reduced RCS and With better Weapons Package & Avionics At Price of F-16 Block 52 or J-10B/C

Last edited:
J-10 and F-16 1 big engine. Rafale and MiG-29 / 35 two small engines. Same size class.

Esp wrt J10, this is like saying F-16 and Mig-29 aren't comparable, because the former is single engined and the latter twin engined.

True but when you go for a single engine, you want to go for a reliable and matured engine. Hence JF-17 uses RD-93 while Tejas uses F404. Chinese engines would take time to mature. F-16 not only uses a reliable engine in F110 which produces up to 32,500 pounds of thrust but also has state of art electronics like AN/APG-80 AESA radar. So no I was not referring to F-16s.

True but when you go for a single engine, you want to go for a reliable and matured engine. Hence JF-17 uses RD-93 while Tejas uses F404. Chinese engines would take time to mature. F-16 not only uses a reliable engine in F110 which produces up to 32,500 pounds of thrust but also has state of art electronics like AN/APG-80 AESA radar. So no I was not referring to F-16s.
Never said you were referring to f-16s. But someone made a remark about single versus twin engine aircraft and their comparability.

The FC-20s, a Pakistan-specific J-10B variant that PAF would be interested in would also have AESA radar, since the regular J-10B has one. This is powered by the AL-31FN M1 although a unit was flown with a WS-10A in July 2011 but that engine was not selected for the initial production batch. I don't see why Pakistan could not use a Russian engine, given that jf-17 also does. JF-17 Block 3 is also to get AESA radar.

Never said you were referring to f-16s. But someone made a remark about single versus twin engine aircraft and their comparability.

The FC-20s, a Pakistan-specific J-10B variant that PAF would be interested in would also have AESA radar, since the regular J-10B has one. This is powered by the AL-31FN M1 although a unit was flown with a WS-10A in July 2011 but that engine was not selected for the initial production batch. I don't see why Pakistan could not use a Russian engine, given that jf-17 also does. JF-17 Block 3 is also to get AESA radar.

The key question is what is the incremental difference and gain for Pakistan by jumping from JF-17 Block 3 to J-10C ?

On the other hand MIG-35 could bring additional opportunities as MIG-35 is a matured platform while J-10C would need time to mature.

The key question is what is the incremental difference and gain for Pakistan by jumping from JF-17 Block 3 to J-10C ?

On the other hand MIG-35 could bring additional opportunities as MIG-35 is a matured platform while J-10C would need time to mature.
Going back to the original posts, what suggest PAF is even considering Mig-35?
Its interest in further JF-17 and PAF specific J-10B version on the other hand is well documented.

As for the Mig-35 being mature, how many operational again? How many ordered?
  • First flight 2007
  • In April 2015, Egypt signed a contract, worth up to $2 billion, for 50 MiG-35 fighters.
  • In August 2015, Colonel General Viktor Bondarev, commander of Russia’s Air and Space Forces stated that MiG-35 development is to be completed in 2017; entry into service is to follow in 2018.

As for J-10 maturity:
  • Total J-10s produced and in service to date (all variants): over 264
  • J-10B/C first flight occurred no later than December 2008.
  • J-10B has being flying with an upgraded WS-10 engine since early 2015.
  • F-10 Vanguard, export variant of the J-10B for the Pakistan Air Force, first flight in 2009.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom