What's new

MiG-31 "The AWACS Scarecrow" - The Fighter India refused to buy

There are some good video on MiG25 and 31 on youtube. These machines fly very high,almost near to space. They provide trip as well, if one can spend some money he can get a chance to visit near space experience...

One MiG25 recorded Mach 3+ speed in Sinai desert Egypt. No fighter plane has achived this speed. F15 and MiG31 are Mach 2.5, Su 27 series and F22 is Mach 2.2 max.

I'll go for such trip someday. A moment at the edge of space, and flying at a speed above mach 2. :victory:

Rusadventures - MiG-25 "Foxbat": Flight to Stars

One MiG25 recorded Mach 3+ speed in Sinai desert Egypt. No fighter plane has achived this speed. F15 and MiG31 are Mach 2.5, Su 27 series and F22 is Mach 2.2 max.
MiG-31s max speed is not M2.5. It's Mach 2.83.
http://www.migavia.ru/eng/military_e/MiG_31_E_e.htm

Someone asked for BARS radar before, so - NIIP

Both are Manufacturer's site ^

if i'm not wrong,i think that fighter got engine burnout..right???Mig-25 had higher speed of 3.2 mach,but they couldn't go above 2.8 mach or it would do significant damage to the engine,even it could make them beyond repair.
MiG-25 can reach Mach 3.2 but only for a minute or two. If you push it to M3.2 for too long your engine is toast. Mach 2.8 is the safe limit. They took out this Mach 3.2 option in the MiG-31. MiG-31 can fly at Mach 2.8 for long without damaging the engines, just like the MiG-25.

Added later:
Watch it in full volume is you dare :enjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some good video on MiG25 and 31 on youtube. These machines fly very high,almost near to space. They provide trip as well, if one can spend some money he can get a chance to visit near space experience...

if i'm not wrong,i think that fighter got engine burnout..right???Mig-25 had higher speed of 3.2 mach,but they couldn't go above 2.8 mach or it would do significant damage to the engine,even it could make them beyond repair.

We could have got atleast one squadron of it,just one one squadron!
1000s of crores are spend daily in our country by our babus on projects and schemes that never really work. Why no spend some bucks on these beasts,whether its needed or not,whether its time is over or not!

@mig 21
superb article mate
Although i agree that IAF took the wrong decision by rejecting the offer but the fishy thing is that no other country purchased it
I atleast china could have easily bought a couple of these aircrafts to spy over taiwan n scs region:undecided:

Read about the MiG-25 in this book: Amazon.com: Mig Pilot: The Final Escape of Lt. Belenko (9780380538683): John Barron: Books

Not a fighter, but a high-altitude interceptor and reconnaissance aircraft; its range and maneuverability are too limited for it to dogfight. The MiG-31 is the improved version with engines that don't accelerate out of control, a different radar (the one in the MiG-25 was so powerful its beam could kill people a hundred meters away), and a stronger airframe permitting supersonic flight at lower altitudes.

MiG-31 is/was absolutely unnecessary for Indian needs , IAF did a good job by rejecting this in 2005 .... High Altitude UAV like U2 or Global Hawk is what IAF needs

MiG-31 is/was absolutely unnecessary for Indian needs , IAF did a good job by rejecting this in 2005 .... High Altitude UAV like U2 or Global Hawk is what IAF needs

Yes but they are also close to impossible to get unless we sign or make deals with the US. We would have to wait and build our own capabilities, so till then MIG-31 can fill the gap.

IAFs rationale was it now has Spy Satellites to do the job of a MiG-31. It is worth noting that the U.S has literally filled outer space with 100s of spy satellites while India will be lucky if it has even half a dozen of them. But still the U.S used U2's extensively during the 2003 Iraq campaign. That's because the primary disadvantage of spy satellites is, it is anything but a spy. A "Spy" Satellite's path is extremely predictable since all satellites have to follow a specified orbit, hence the time of when it will be over an enemy country is well known to the enemy... which ofcourse defeats the very definition of a "Spy". What kind of a spy comes by announcing that he will come and spy on you only between these times. Also it can only stay in a location in the range of minutes and has to zoom away.

An excellent article!

However, I have a small doubt. Shouldn't a Geo-synchronous satellite should defeat the argument quoted above?

thanks to it's retirement from IAF, now Pakistani glasses are safe from breaking...............:rofl:
Only cowards will fly and spy with Mig-25 and Mig-31. If you Indians are man enough, come and spy into pakistan using your LCA. We'll show you what the PAF is all about then.

Indians are not Americans. We have no problem shooting drones. Only the cowards in corrupt govt wont give the order. But even those corrupts will give the order if it was the Indian air force.

Only cowards will fly and spy with Mig-25 and Mig-31. If you Indians are man enough, come and spy into pakistan using your LCA. We'll show you what the PAF is all about then.

This is why we should have them...I dont think Pak has anything to counter it, even today.

Back
Top Bottom