What's new

Mental Health Corner

Past few days I have been feeling down. I do not feel like I have energy to do my hobbies. I can barely do a jog for 2 minutes. I have a situation where I have isolated myself. I don’t have a friend to talk to that can personally understand my issues.

I am tired and I have no motivation to do any activities to relief my self. There is a persistent discomfort that I am feeling every day. The cause of this issue isn’t relationship or similar. I think it is just having no purpose that keeps me motivated. I am missing a thrill in my life which keeps me happy. There is no emotional stimulator or soulful thing in my life. Everything seem so dull.

It probably correlate to my time on the Internet. Which is not too much but I can reduce it. I can back away then what should I do? I don’t want to indulge in impure things.

I am quite upset almost all the time. There is nothing to keep me happy. I don’t want any internet friends because it is regressive & make me less happy. I think I am going to take a step back from this web site and evaluate my situation deeply. I might check in once a day to see a response. Please don’t write any thing long, I don’t want you guys to spend too much time for me.

How about finding Arab girl to make your live more motivated ...... :partay:

In serious note, I think you are a high achiever person so you dont feel as motivated as other when you do normal live. Depression comes when you see yourselves hopeless to reach your main life ambition.

Depression also comes due to your less appreciation of what you have gotten in term of opportunity and others. I actually get a depression in my second year in university because I dont appreciate what Allah has given to me by giving me university education level, I keep feeling hopeless since all of my other brothers and sisters have successfully entered best state university in Indonesia.

The depression that I got is quite severe that make me lost motivation to study and mess up 1 year in my university where half year was spend at home, I postpone my study about 1 semester after many of my subject get D or F due to my severe depression.

And then come incident that make my health get troubled. After that my focus is just on my health and it make the depression get deeper. After I pray to Allah, I got a dream and suddently in the morning my health issue is disappear. Then I realize that having a good health itself is a kind of Huge Blessing that should make me motivated all the time.

I dont do one pray and asked Allah one time and then the sickness is disappeared in the second day, it needs about 6-9 months constant doa (praying) right after doing 5 times prayers before that miracle happened that was coming after a big man with white robe come in my dream saying he is ordered by Allah and then he grab my body and I felt some kind of electrocuted.

How about doing Jihad mission in economic term ??? Get educated well in US and find job experience and money and then use that experience and money to set up your own business ???

If that do well then you can set up the company in Pakistan or other Muslim countries so that at least you do some meaningful economic contribution to the Muslim world.

Last edited:
Good article from our fellow Egyptian Muslim brother (Lives in Egypt)

What causes depression?

Depression is caused by an imbalance that happens in brain chemicals. This means that if you have genetic tendencies that allows your brain chemicals to go out of order then you are very likely to get depressed. Nothing can be done to fix depression other than medications because it’s the only thing that can restore the chemical balance to the brain.

Well, the previous paragraph was part of the nonsense you might come across while searching for the causes of depression. Lots of people want you to believe in these theories that are not yet proven just to let you buy their medicines, however, the real cause of depression is completely different.

What really causes depression?

Yes chemical imbalance is the cause of depression but chemical imbalance itself is caused by something else, which is the loss of hope in solving an important life problem.

Suppose that you were a very skilled employee then you lost your job, will you get depressed? Most likely you wont because your skills make you think that you won’t stay without a job for a long period of time.

Now what if you applied in 2 different companies and got rejected, will you get depressed? Maybe you will but most likely you won’t because you will still have some remaining hope. Now what if you applied in all the companies that you know then got rejected by them all? Will you get depressed?

Most likely you will become depressed because at this point you lost hope in dealing with the important problem you are facing. Depression is nothing more than feelings of indifference towards helping yourself in dealing with an important life problem.

This indifference results from loss of hope and thus chemical imbalance is a symptom of depression and not the cause (see The anatomy of depression and I am feeling depressed).

How to get over depression?

In my book, The ultimate guide to getting over depression i explained how depression can just be the way your mind tells you that it lost hope. When you feel that its impossible to achieve something that is very important to you your mind might respond with the feelings of depression.

So how to get over depression?

Restore hope by taking actions. I know that while being depressed its hard to take any actions but unless you respond to the loss of hope by finding another way out then medication will never help you.

Medication, traveling, keeping yourself busy and changing your lifestyle will only help you tolerate the symptoms of depression but the only way to get over it completely is to restore the lost hope. Only then you will become happy again.

2knowmysef is not a complicated medical website nor it's a boring online encyclopedia but it's a place where you will find simple, to the point and effective information that is backed by psychology and that is presented in a simple and obvious way. If you think that this is some kind of marketing hype then see what other visitors say about 2knowmyself.The book The ultimate guide to getting over depression was released by 2knowmself, the book provides a 100% guarantee for feeling better else you will be refunded.

Want to know more?

How to get over depression?

Help me i am depressed

How to tell if i am depressed?

How to get over anyone in few days (book)

How to make anyone fall in love with me fast (book)

How to end Depression instantly (book)

How to control people's minds (Course)

How to develop rock solid self confidence fast (course)

Hundreds of Psychology Videos

Past few days I have been feeling down. I do not feel like I have energy to do my hobbies. I can barely do a jog for 2 minutes. I have a situation where I have isolated myself. I don’t have a friend to talk to that can personally understand my issues.

I am tired and I have no motivation to do any activities to relief my self. There is a persistent discomfort that I am feeling every day. The cause of this issue isn’t relationship or similar. I think it is just having no purpose that keeps me motivated. I am missing a thrill in my life which keeps me happy. There is no emotional stimulator or soulful thing in my life. Everything seem so dull.

It probably correlate to my time on the Internet. Which is not too much but I can reduce it. I can back away then what should I do? I don’t want to indulge in impure things.

I am quite upset almost all the time. There is nothing to keep me happy. I don’t want any internet friends because it is regressive & make me less happy. I think I am going to take a step back from this web site and evaluate my situation deeply. I might check in once a day to see a response. Please don’t write any thing long, I don’t want you guys to spend too much time for me.

@jaibi What’s up with binaural beats ? Are they legit ?

Depending on your age, it maybe related to an age related milestone. The practice is to first rule out any biological factors, such as hormone levels, blood work etc,. I think it's advisable to look into that; every 'feeling' we experience is a neurological chemical exchange therefore when it's disturbed you can experience what you're going through.
What you're describing points towards heading into depression. This is called anhedonia i.e. loss of pleasure. I think it's a good practice to take a break from the internet as well. If you're in the States, you can check someone out, such as better help (dot) com.
Or talk in detail when you're feeling up to it.
As to what you should do right now if you back away then writing your experiences and talking to yourself is very helpful, it's advisable to do it with a therapist so you don't go into a negative state but remain neutral because depressive moods often give you clarity. This can translate to a very good learning experience.

I agree, brother and thank you for your kind words. The taboo is obviously something that we need to counter and I think that can be done by first explaining to people what we actually do. Most people think that there is some magic pill or technique that can impact or change them but that's not how it works. The actual thing is much more fascinating, interesting and requires effort. With that done, I think, it'll be much easier for us to progress as a society.
Dear @jaibi an excellent effort to try and help who require to vent their feelings have a need to exercise catharsis, the effort is appreciative in the sense that (I am sure you have realized) in our society with the exception of those having exposure of western society going to a psychologist is still a taboo. May be just may be people will feel comfortable in sharing their mind while having a degree of anonymity.

In North America its a taboo if you don't have a therapist we we are having a negative correlation in this matter.

I am not a psychologist, I did study psychology in the college as elective credit (during my computer engineering) and as part of my behavioral finance subject (during a very advanced degree in finance). Human mind is a very intriguing mystery which we are still exploring and may be will continue to do so.

If we analyze ourselves we all have some sort of emotional challenge one way or the other most of the times it manifests in our action which do impact others.

For both of you I too have/had my demons there are multiple reasons for that but two things I found very effective in overcoming those demons were:

1. Meditation (think of me who has explored this to extremes) couple of my class fellows are practicing and good therapists upon my recommendations they encouraged their clients to explore this avenue (with a complete guideline given by me) and they found results to be more than effective.
  2. listening to relaxing music
and an absolutely no no is listening to sad songs/ghazals/music during episodes of emotional downturns including matters of the heart. :-)

How is everything now? Available to help, if needed, bahi.
This is humble request to any one who reads this. For past few days I am suffering from severe attack of depression, I am trying my best to fight it back but it's getting really difficult now. Please do dua for me.

Placebo, at best.

Solved my issues through meditation, but not the commercially available stuff I found my own path, trained our elder son then the younger one same way and they too have almost resolved their issues. Normally it is the buddhist or hindu one but there is another one, a very tricky one. People can find some hints in "Kashaf al Maajoob"

I agree, brother and thank you for your kind words. The taboo is obviously something that we need to counter and I think that can be done by first explaining to people what we actually do. Most people think that there is some magic pill or technique that can impact or change them but that's not how it works. The actual thing is much more fascinating, interesting and requires effort. With that done, I think, it'll be much easier for us to progress as a society.

Its such a taboo that when we started taking our younger one to a therapist here in Pakistan my family got a wind of it and one day my mom would say "yeh to bilkul normal hai, issay paglon wali treatment kyun karwa rahay ho" these are the words of a lady who is better half to a very senior retired air force officer who travels extensively internationally and highly educated herself. What to talk about the society in general.

and an absolutely no no is listening to sad songs/ghazals/music during episodes of emotional downturns including matters of the heart.
But I like tragedy genre. Of movies and of songs...:frown:...but point noted Sir.

I'm glad that meditation helped you, I was referring to the bineural beats as storm breaker asked.

I know, this taboo is lethal and sadly I've seen it do its work
Solved my issues through meditation, but not the commercially available stuff I found my own path, trained our elder son then the younger one same way and they too have almost resolved their issues. Normally it is the buddhist or hindu one but there is another one, a very tricky one. People can find some hints in "Kashaf al Maajoob"

Its such a taboo that when we started taking our younger one to a therapist here in Pakistan my family got a wind of it and one day my mom would say "yeh to bilkul normal hai, issay paglon wali treatment kyun karwa rahay ho" these are the words of a lady who is better half to a very senior retired air force officer who travels extensively internationally and highly educated herself. What to talk about the society in general.

Since yesterday I am again not feeling great. Please duas required, in fact yesterday was one of the worst day I have ever had. Never faced this severe attack of depression and anxiety. Today is slightly better. So please keep me in your duas.

Since yesterday I am again not feeling great. Please duas required, in fact yesterday was one of the worst day I have ever had. Never faced this severe attack of depression and anxiety. Today is slightly better. So please keep me in your duas.
اَلَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوۡا وَتَطۡمَئِنُّ قُلُوۡبُہُمۡ بِذِکۡرِ اللّٰہِ ۗ اَلَا بِذِکۡرِ اللّٰہِ تَطۡمَئِنُّ الۡقُلُوۡبُ [13:29]

ِAstaghfar is a very good treatment for depression, bring out a tasbeeh and start "astaghfir ullah" don't stop just keep doing it, let me know after a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom