What's new

Meet Iran's suicide UAV with 2000km range

Philosopher

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Since the 80's Iran has been one of pioneers in UAV technology. During the recent days in a large scale drill, we have seen many new UAVs ranging from helicopter launched UAVs to micro swarm UAVs. One of the most important of these UAVs which has been successfully tested is the "Arash" suicide UAV with a range of over 2000km, with some variants even going up to 4000km. Arash is able to be programmed and work without the use of satellite navigation i.e GPS and is protected against e-warfare. Some variants are equipped with seekers to be used as an anti-radiation system i.e against enemy radars. Other important aspects to this UAV is the application of Radar absorbing coating to reduce RCS.

1610150668743.png

1610150586908.png

What makes such systems extremely deadly is the capability they deliver for their relatively low price as compared with something like a cruise missile. Moreover, these systems can be produced relatively easily in the 1000's. Presumably Iran would be willing to export these to friendly nations, if so, they would be a nightmare for an opposing side.

Last edited:
Some of these uavs are blurring the lines with cruise missiles, ssm, & sams. Consider if the Arash uav is pre programmed, or a HARM variant then once launched, it would be somewhere in altitude between a cruise missile and ballistic missile.
In a coordinated attack, IRGCASF and Artesh can launch a barrage of cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, and various drones in EW, HARM, possible wild weasel, and overall demolition of a target. Of course I always do wonder how resilient they are in EW in the event of war. Seems the pre programmed roles are the most reliable in terms of resisting EW.
I am pleasantly surprised that artesh has come up with very some very good equipment that can coordinate with IRGC and carry out attacks encompassing almost all altitudes.

Let’s mention the first UCAV in the world made by Iran in 1980s in action against Saddam. This innovation changed the world wars.

This is the only major military innovation of Muslims in the past few centuries.

Hail to Mohajer 1 firing RPG7 in 1980s.

Mohajer_Jang_15.jpg

220px-Mohajer-1.jpg

Last edited:
Since the 80's Iran has been one of pioneers in UAV technology. During the recent days in a large scale drill, we have seen many new UAVs ranging from helicopter launched UAVs to micro swarm UAVs. One of the most important of these UAVs which has been successfully tested is the "Arash" suicide UAV with a range of over 2000km, with some variants even going up to 4000km. Arash is able to be programmed and work without the use of satellite navigation i.e GPS and is protected against e-warfare. Some variants are equipped with seekers to be used as an anti-radiation system i.e against enemy radars. Other important aspects to this UAV is the application of Radar absorbing coating to reduce RCS.

View attachment 704999

View attachment 704998

What makes such systems extremely deadly is the capability they deliver for their relatively low price as compared with something like a cruise missile. Moreover, these systems can be produced relatively easily in the 1000's. Presumably Iran would be willing to export these to friendly nations, if so, they would be a nightmare for an opposing side.
Is this UAV is using which propulsion, jet engine or equip with turboprop???

View attachment 704999

View attachment 704998

This a modified target drone nothing revolutionary. In numbers these are a nuisance and can act as decoys to mess with air defences but not very effective as a precision weapon as they dont have accuracy when without a seeker. Anti radiation seekers would work against active radars only.

Will probably be using inertial navigation. GPS is a US controlled guidance method so I don't think likely, GLONASS commercial variant is a possibility but with reduced accuracy.

Iran has a Soumar cruise missile range of missiles which are much more of a threat.

Wrong. Many UAVs nowadays can fly for many hours and some even for days meaning above ranges are now common place.

That's endurance over a small area. Given small size I doubt this small UAV has the room to carry fuel for 4000 Kms. Forgat about controls, what meaningful payload it can carry??

It’s a suicide UAV, meaning one way trip. Traditional UAVs need to return to a base of operations this cutting their range.

A Ballistic/Cruise missile also has oneway trip. A ground launched cruise missile has 2500Km range.

foreigners dont know anything about this, yet already talk with jealous skepticism. Is your country making this or testing this or in possession of it? No. How can u tell about its effectiveness other than just being speculative? Too bad ur country is so far behind in terms of indigenous military production. KEEP UP THE WAR MACHINE, MIGTY PERSIA.

This a modified target drone nothing revolutionary. In numbers these are a nuisance and can act as decoys to mess with air defences but not very effective as a precision weapon as they dont have accuracy when without a seeker. Anti radiation seekers would work against active radars only.

Will probably be using inertial navigation. GPS is a US controlled guidance method so I don't think likely, GLONASS commercial variant is a possibility but with reduced accuracy.

Iran has a Soumar cruise missile range of missiles which are much more of a threat.

Speaking of accuracy without US GPS:

1610205135532.jpeg

Kindly see the Iranian UAV thread for the first ever Drones with AA missile, long range bomber UAVs, etc.

Kindly remember, who initially invented UCAVs.

You are teaching Pierre Currie what Radium is.

That's endurance over a small area. Given small size I doubt this small UAV has the room to carry fuel for 4000 Kms. Forgat about controls, what meaningful payload it can carry??

If a UAV can fly for lets say 12 hours and it travels at 400km/h, how far could it travel? Your statement of "That's endurance over a small area" is a baseless claim devoid of any proof. Just because certain re-usable UAVs may be used in a certain area size as per their mission plan it does not logically follow that they can not actualise their potential range if needed. Like I have said, this is suicide UAV i.e a one way travel. 2000-4000 km is easily do able.

This a modified target drone nothing revolutionary.

This UAV was designed from the ground up to be a suicide UAV, where are getting this notion that it is a modified target drone?

In numbers these are a nuisance and can act as decoys to mess with air defences but not very effective as a precision weapon as they dont have accuracy when without a seeker.

Kindly do some research prior to making such statements. UAVs less advance than this one were used to accurately destroy the Saudi oil facility:

1610210900259.png

Anti radiation seekers would work against active radars only.

Who said otherwise?

I have stated quite clearly that the UAV can be programmed and function without the need of any satellite navigation.

The only thing Soumar has over such system are the fact they are faster, nothing more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom