What's new

MBT Modernization Program – A Step In The Right Direction

Unfortunately theoretical discussion is more as compared to little bit technical. Though reported ranges or penetration are not accurately mentioned still provide some idea about capabilities but pros avoid to discuss understandably meanwhile the people have research regarding such matters also use these threads just for sake of arguments and counter arguments.

If AK get a hard kill APS like GL-5 any version of AK shall be able to counter most of ATGMs and other threats.
That’s true, AK would be really good with a Hard kill APS.
As for the ATGMs, I’ve never looked into them much because I’ve never really seen them being used by the PA with their tanks. I’m sure they have them, but they’re rarely ever brought out because there’s been no tank conflicts and infantry/vehicle mounted ATGMS are usually used in trainings.

I take my words back, after running into so many self claimed experts online I’m both immensely impressed by the response and sorry for my first post.

I’ve been in AKs and AZs in numerous times and I’ve Driven an AZ at the tilla firing ranges. I suppose I did not know enough about them at the time to notice these things.
wah as a civilian i was not even allowed a selfie :( with tank on road and here you are talking about driving tanks nice you are lucky one. :cheers:

From my observations, if you look at AK pics from over the years you’ll realize older AKs had full ERA and in the era between 2010 to recently they only had Turret Mounted ERA at the front with not even mounting points on the Hull, the biggest examples being the ones shown on the 23rd march parades. That above one is just one picture. And the roof mounted ERA I haven’t seen in ages. I’ve been to a few regiments with AKs myself and seen no ERA at all except the frontal ones on the turret. Even if some have it, it’s not all, which is still a problem, that means some AKs are much less protected than others. The few pictures we see are much different from the on ground realities at times, I hope during wartime that isn’t the case, but it is for now.

I see, so some AKs will have it, some won’t. Some will have a different one than others? Sounds like kind of a complication but at least it’s there. The FCS I can’t disagree with, it’s always held in high regard.
I’m sorry to be bothering you with so many questions, including the ones asked in my second post. I’ve just finally found someone to ask.
Also what about the Firepower of the AK, the highest penetration it can achieve (that we always hear about at least)
Is the Naiza DU which different sources say can penetrate anywhere from 520-600mm of armor. Which is not bad, but still not that good, but that round is old, what newer rounds can it fire and can they Achieve higher penetration numbers?

Aks have a mix of 2nd and 3rd gen ti sights. Matis std 3rd gen ti is installed in AK1. Commander station can be fitted with ti sights but is usually fitted with IIT. TI imagery is shared by both thanks to the provision in fcs. The tank fcs offers dedicated modes for ti matrix.

Ammo is better than the ones employed by the enemy. Arde just finished testing enhanced versions of 100, 105 and 125mm AP rounds. Naiza could reach 620mm without a problem as DU rounds get additional 25% penetration by AK and UD main gun thanks to higher velocities they achieve. Usually between 1730-1750m per second.

That’s true, AK would be really good with a Hard kill APS.
As for the ATGMs, I’ve never looked into them much because I’ve never really seen them being used by the PA with their tanks. I’m sure they have them, but they’re rarely ever brought out because there’s been no tank conflicts and infantry/vehicle mounted ATGMS are usually used in trainings.
We acquired some from Belarus and Ukraine years ago. Heard we had Chinese 125mm atgms for type 85 as well.

wah as a civilian i was not even allowed a selfie :( with tank on road and here you are talking about driving tanks nice you are lucky one. :cheers:
I admit, I do have some close relations to the military, I’m not in the services myself yet, but a lot of family ties have kept me close to the military. It is pretty cool though.

Aks have a mix of 2nd and 3rd gen ti sights. Matis std 3rd gen ti is installed in AK1. Commander station can be fitted with ti sights but is usually fitted with IIT. TI imagery is shared by both thanks to the provision in fcs. The tank fcs offers dedicated modes for ti matrix.

Ammo is better than the ones employed by the enemy. Arde just finished testing enhanced versions of 100, 105 and 125mm AP rounds. Naiza could reach 620mm without a problem as DU rounds get additional 25% penetration by AK and UD main gun thanks to higher velocities they achieve. Usually between 1730-1750m per second.

We acquired some from Belarus and Ukraine years ago. Heard we had Chinese 125mm atgms for type 85 as well.
I see. Thanks a lot Mate. Lots of questions you answered. I’m once again sorry for my original post with the jump to conclusions.

I admit, I do have some close relations to the military, I’m not in the services myself yet, but a lot of family ties have kept me close to the military. It is pretty cool though.

I see. Thanks a lot Mate. Lots of questions you answered. I’m once again sorry for my original post with the jump to conclusions.

upload_2020-4-26_12-25-42.png

Syria lost 2000 tanks in 8 years. Pak lost 2 in 19. Is that enough or more proofs required?

Both of these AK 1 and AZ are reasonable tanks. AZ is very useful in western theater as well.

With 100s of nukes in play there is absolutely no need to spend billions on a state of art western system that will never b used

Current strategies of upgrading old tanks and domestic development of new ones is more than enough.

Having said that M1A2 Abraham's performed exceptionally poor in syria and Iraq and Iraqis have even discarded them and bought t 90ms

T90 also performed alot better in syria

There are pics of leopard mk2 destroyed easily available on net but wont find a pic of knocked out t 90

T90 is same weight class as alkhalid
WE cannot draw a comparison between losses of MBTs in Syria and Pakistan just like that. Syrian Civil War was conventional in large part (heavy use of armored forces in cities and open fields) whereas Pakistani War On Terror was COIN in large part (heavy use of infantry, special forces and helicopter gunships across Durand Line, and in mountains, to clear terrorist hideouts).

Iraq did not receive M1A2 variants but the M1A1M variant. The M1A1M lived up to its hype in numerous battles of Iraqi military forces (versus ISIS), but some of these MBTs fell into the hands of Iraqi PMUs and/or Shiite militias at the time. Below is one example.

THAT did not sit well with Americans, and they created hurdles in the way of supply of spare parts for M1A1M to Iraqi military (see references below).

Iraqi military then felt compelled to reach out to Russia and sourced T-90S and T-90SK variants from them to make up for potential gaps in availability of heavy armor for their needs (always better to have an ALTERNATIVE in hands than nothing). Iraqi political climate is volatile, and Americans and Iraqi PMUs do not get along.

References

1) https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...p-its-american-abrams-tanks-for-russian-ones/

2) https://www.stripes.com/news/iran-b...ade-abrams-tanks-in-iraq-report-says-1.510843

3) https://www.defenseworld.net/news/2...in_Arms_Sales_over_Soured_Relations_with_Iraq

---

Do keep in mind the fact that Iraqi military had sourced M1A1M in sufficient numbers, and these are not going anywhere; this fleet will not be discarded. A (US-friendly) Iraqi government has come to power in the present.

AK-1 driver station - digital panel

upload_2020-5-29_12-15-50.png

console55-1.jpg

Al-khalid mbt features Armox-500T RHA HHS plates, known to be the toughest HHS in the world.

The Armox 500T is a high-hardness armour with extrordinary toughness properties.

The 500T is the world’s toughest protection plate, having nominal 500HBW hardness, for use in vehicles, buildings and many more applications.

Benefits of Armox 500T include:

• Market-leading steel protection
  • Superior workshop properties
  • Optimised solutions
  • Perfect hardness / toughness balance, for combined penetration and blast protection
  • Expertise in ballistic protection from SSAB
It offers vehicle designers new ways to increase protection using lighter weight designs. Armox 500T is not intended for further heat treatment.

https://www.army-technology.com/products/armox-500t/

Turns out AK-1 has better hull protection than i thought. Much better than t-90's hull protection.

1. Three HHS plates separating diver's compartment

2. Composite armor cavities

3. Front HHS plates

hull armor.jpg

Back
Top Bottom