What's new

MBT Modernization Program – A Step In The Right Direction

Its better to upgrade tanks from Aselsan or any other renowned company having vast experience.

Post edited. Thanks.

Army still has 3 regts of T-69 and recently I saw an (I) Armd Sqn operating these as well.

The last MoDP Yearbook reported 79× engine orders for AZ, probably 44 for regular armd regt, 35 for recce regt.

good to know AZ conversion and upgrading continues. in my opinion this is a good track to continue. if HIT is tasked to upgrade all T59 to AZ why note get ToT to make engines locally. i am also of the opinion that T86UG should be rebuilt and upgraded on lines oaf AZ and Ak to similarized the equipment and training as well as supply change. for example if T85ug and az uses same engine is simplifies the supply china, training, management etc. all having same ammo with standardized caliber 125mm will also help. why not think about t69 on lines of AZ. what i know t69 is not much different than t59. have same engine turret, electronics etc. standardized. nevertheless a good way forward may be in parallel continue to develop AH as a next gen tank to be planned for full production by 2025. by then all t69 and t59 will be upgraded to AZ, all t85ug done, may be the last batch of ak2 is completed. all T80UD rebuilt and upgraded to 3rd gen and then PA can move on to new 4th gen AH.

Last edited:
View attachment 621598

T-85 II upgraded is known as T 85 UG in Pakistan army standards , it has a new 730 hp engine , auto loader and FCS from al khalid .
( image taken by khizer mehmood )

Old brochure of Type-85II
Type-85II brochure-2.jpg

number of rounds for main gun decrease from 38 to 28 though the gun is still 125mm which is bit strange

Secondly max speed has also decrease from 57 km to 52 km, though in cursory look does not appear significant but the issue is engine horsepower, overall weight of tank is same which mean same power to weight ratio of 17.8 HP/Tonne so why the top speed has decreased ???

Last edited:
Old brochure of Type-85II
View attachment 621792

number of rounds for main gun decrease from 38 to 28 though the gun is still 125mm which is bit strange

Secondly max speed has also decrease from 57 km to 52 km, though in cursory look does not appear significant but the issue is engine horsepower, overall weight of tank is same which mean same power to weight ratio of 17.8 HP/Ton so the top speed has decreased ???
I think 0.5 Ton is decreased

From what I have read about armor warfare; in addition to the armor protection & the gun, “Power to Weight ratio” is about the most important thing in a tank because quick acceleration is a great help in getting out of the tight spots. All other things being equal. the tank having better armor and better Power to Weight ratio is likely to come on top.

Also, IMHO, having autoloader does not necessarily make MBT better. It would undoubtedly improve the rapidity of fire, but there is always the possibility of it being jammed/malfunction in the middle of a fire-fight. No matter how small the chances of this happening, results would be fatal. Additionally, autoloader weighs more than the ’Man’ and having an additional hand during the heat of the battle would be handy.

Therefore, in my humble opinion, in addition to better armor protection and fire control systems etc, a higher-powered engine must be included the modernization program.

Last edited:
22 rounds in the carousel, 8-10 inside the ammo bins while the rest stored inside the turret. Removing those means that rounds are not scattered, which makes the vehicle safer in case turret or hull gets penetrated.

From what I have read about armor warfare; in addition to the armor protection & the gun, “Power to Weight ratio” is about the most important thing in a tank because quick acceleration is a great help in getting out of the tight spots. All other things being equal. the tank having better armor and better Power to Weight ratio is likely to come on top.

Also, IMHO, having autoloader does not necessarily make MBT better. It would undoubtedly improve the rapidity of fire, but there is always the possibility of it being jammed/malfunction in the middle of a fire-fight. No matter how small the chances of this happening, results would be fatal. Additionally, autoloader weighs more than the ’Man’ and having an additional hand during the heat of the battle would be handy.

Therefore, in my humble opinion, in addition to better armor protection and fire control systems etc, a higher-powered engine must be included the modernization program.
Effectiveness of a tank is always dependent upon the interplay between armor protection (related to weight), mobility (related to engine and speed) and firepower (related to space inside for ammo and main gun). You may focus on one and then tailor your doctrine and tactics to exploit it to the full in battle,

State of the fart Al Khalid tank from the 1990s wah bai wah kya baat hai.

Back
Top Bottom