What's new

Mazagon Dock Ltd likely to get fresh orders after Scorpene

Techy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mazagon_Dock_Ltd.jpg

NEW DELHI: Mumbai-based Mazagon Dock Ltd, which is building six Scorpene submarines, is likely to get a follow-on order for "some more" of these vessels.

The first Scorpene class submarine -- Kalvari, that was undocked in April -- will shortly proceed for sea trials.

It is likely to be commissioned in September next year and, thereafter, the remaining five submarines will follow every nine months as per a revised schedule. The sources said that MDL is likely to order for more as the government does not want to waste the skill and infrastructure that has developed at the shipyard.

While the first four are conventional submarines, the last two are to be equipped with Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system, which will enable the vessels to stay underwater for a longer duration.

Sources said that any additional submarines are likely to have AIP technology. Scorpene submarines are being built in partnership with French firm, DCNS.

Mazagon Dock Ltd likely to get fresh orders after Scorpene - The Economic Times

Mazagon_Dock_Ltd.jpg

NEW DELHI: Mumbai-based Mazagon Dock Ltd, which is building six Scorpene submarines, is likely to get a follow-on order for "some more" of these vessels.

The first Scorpene class submarine -- Kalvari, that was undocked in April -- will shortly proceed for sea trials.

It is likely to be commissioned in September next year and, thereafter, the remaining five submarines will follow every nine months as per a revised schedule. The sources said that MDL is likely to order for more as the government does not want to waste the skill and infrastructure that has developed at the shipyard.

While the first four are conventional submarines, the last two are to be equipped with Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system, which will enable the vessels to stay underwater for a longer duration.

Sources said that any additional submarines are likely to have AIP technology. Scorpene submarines are being built in partnership with French firm, DCNS.

Mazagon Dock Ltd likely to get fresh orders after Scorpene - The Economic Times

Wow... that's a great news.. this is about next gen sub or Additional scorpene ??

Wow... that's a great news.. this is about next gen sub or Additional scorpene ??

The report suggests follow-on Scorpene with DRDO AIP it seems! Indeed a great news :cheers:
A great step to preserve the skill unlike what previous governments did with German know-how of Shishumar class submarines and didn't go for extra numbers which resulted in a lost generation of skilled workers and also contributed in Scorpene delays.

Why all eggs are in mazagon, we should divercify our expertise in submarine/shipbuilding to other shipyads. Proximity of mazagon with Pakistan is a very dangerous scenario, a single nuk strike by Pakistan on Mumbai in the event of war will destroy all know how.

Why all eggs are in mazagon, we should divercify our expertise in submarine/shipbuilding to other shipyads. Proximity of mazagon with Pakistan is a very dangerous scenario, a single nuk strike by Pakistan on Mumbai in the event of war will destroy all know how.

If it comes to nuclear war its all over for everyone anyway.Tech knowhow will be the last thing on anyone's mind in such a scenario.
Anyway its very good news.Order will be 3 more at least ,hoping for 4 more.10 scorpenes plus 6 P-75I will be potent force .

All other shipyards are running on full capacity....

We need to increase the capacity of the shipyards or make some new ones on the eastern side

If it comes to nuclear war its all over for everyone anyway.Tecg knowhow will be the last thing on anyone's mind in such a scenario.
I know,chances of surviving know how will me more if we divercify our shipbuilding centeres. You see almost all frigates,destroyers & submarines are building in mazagon. In the event of war Mumbai will be the prime target,due to proximity Pakistan's ballistic missiles can carry out pinpoint strike on Mumbai,which is not the case with Cochin,vizag & Kolkata. The more the distance more will be the navigation error for ballistic missiles & also chance of shooting down enemy missiles with our ABMs are more.

All other shipyards are running on full capacity....

We need to increase the capacity of the shipyards or make some new ones on the eastern side
Cochin shipyards desperately waiting for orders,they are unable to utilise there full capacity. & I think pipav also running like that.

I know,chances of surviving know how will me more if we divercify our shipbuilding centeres. You see almost all frigates,destroyers & submarines are building in mazagon. In the event of war Mumbai will be the prime target,due to proximity Pakistan's ballistic missiles can carry out pinpoint strike on Mumbai,which is not the case with Cochin,vizag & Kolkata. The more the distance more will be the navigation error for ballistic missiles & also chance of shooting down enemy missiles with our ABMs are more.

The process of diversification has begun with frigates and destroyers already.
For submarines p75I project will not go to MDL,but to a private shipyard.

Great news. I hope they order another 4 to 6. With this we will have atleast 6 aip scorpene and another 6 of p75i. So total of 12aip sub which is a very potent force

This is a very good option indeed. The only question is, are the scorpenes good enough? If the navy thinks so, then more indeed makes sense as its a low hanging fruit. For all you know building a new line for the follow on class may take close to a decade. In the meantime scorpenes will make the numbers for the obsolescence of the Russian subs.

So this officially puts MDL out of reckoning for P-75I. With Pipavav busy upgrading Kilo Class, we are probably left with only HSL with ability to make new Subs.

Back
Top Bottom