What's new

Mayhem in Karachi - Karachiites trap CJ at Airport

some videos from Karachi

Last edited by a moderator:
tsk tsk.......wish chief justice of Pakistan, act like chief justice of Pakistan, rather then power hungry politician...who is to blame...?

Well this is your advice to Mushraff. But when GOI does the same its oppression and blah blah.

Theres a difference to what is happenning in India and Karachi, don't manipulate the two into the same situation.

Lets us analyse the situation. Opposition parties were trying desperately to get people on the street but couldnt. This was a heaven sent opportunity when lawyers decided to protest. Political parties have taken advantae and jumped on the band wagon. Protesters are shouting ' Go Musharraf go'. Large number of the protestes belong to MMA and ANP; mainly Pashtoon. Karachi has approx 2-million Pashtoons and among the Mohajirs there is substantial support for Jamaat Islami ( Maulana Maudoodi was from Aurangabad ). Karachi is however strong hold of MQM who have joined forces with Jiye Sindh movement as a marriage of convenience. This is the ground reality.

This was a fight between Pashtoons and MQM. In Punjab & Islamabad, most significant parties are Muslim League ( Q and N) and PPP. Muslim League is really a right wing party and sympathize with the Mullahs, thus wouldnot use force against Lal Masjid thugs. PPP supporters are reluctant partners in the Opposition and would not openly resist lathi wielding goondas of MMA. That is why opposition rallies are gaining support in Punjab.

In Karachi however MQM have no such qualms, thuggery is their strong point also. Since MQM are in the Govt and support Musharraf they proved that they would not let an upstart Chief Justice to have his way. What happened was of course disgusting but this is Pak politics in its true form.

What I find hard to understand is the rationale behind opposition movement. No one with democratic values will support actions of Musharraf. But when the matter is in the Supreme Court, they should wait and see which way the cookie crumbles. Let us assume Mushaarf is forced to go ( he probably will IMO) who comes in his place??. Will BB, NS and MMA accept the Chief Justice as their leader???

Most likely scenario is that an emergency will be declared, another Army General will take over and the same process all over again ( Deja vu in truest sense). Perhaps Benazir realises this and is reluctant to lend full support to this movement.

I only see more mayhem, but MMA thrives on mayhem, perhaps next general would be like Zia and MMA would have a field day. IMO mullhas have all to gain and nothing to lose but Muslim Q and PPP should see thru this.

Let’s get this straight Musharraf came in power declaring he is democratic and wants democratic elections. However, he is has been in power (so called democratically) for more than 2 terms the constitution does not allow a third term, like Musharraf follows the constitution. He can’t step down from chief of army staff and do elections because the constitution says if you are part of any organisation, to be able to do elections you must step down form that organisation/institute and wait for 2 years then hold elections. Musharraf is not going to take that step. This is also one of the many reasons the CJ has been ousted he was selected by Musharraf because they thought he would follow Musharraf like a dog. Now the CJ won’t allow Musharraf to appeal for a third term we can see CJ opposes him. If Musharraf steps down or runs out of the country, I wouldn’t think that another General would try to seize power as this would lead to consequence for which it could cost Pakistan. However, in the past many assignations, attempts were taken on Musharraf and the General who would try to seize power would know he isn’t safe.

The chief justice is not a politician he is though made to look like one in the media and Musharraf has said his role politics would be dealt with. CJ is not a politician though he is the first CJ who has stood up against a dictator, last time a CJ did that he was attacked and had to fled the country he went to UK and I believe died in the UK as well. What CJ has done is that he has made an excuse for the majority of people to go on the streets and protest against Musharraf, this has been done successfully, and effectively the political parties have also demonstrated against Musharraf.

If Musharraf goes MQM goes in the past MQM leader Altaf has murdered many Pakistani soldiers in Karachi; MQM was created by Zia. MQM leader made mini jails were he tortured Pakistani soldiers and for that, he is a coward he is also the chaos of Karachi. Karachi was said to be the city of peace the city that illuminated, however, it now illuminates fire burning street to street because of MQM. If a democratic government comes they will first take down MQM and trail there leader who lives in UK the coward. However, there should not be any prejudice towards Muhajirs of Karachi or else where the majority lawyers are Muhajirs this minority Pakistani sect is the brightest in Pakistan. They have top jobs in fact, most of the government is made of Muhajirs and that shows how dedicated these people are, and how educated they are.

If Musharraf goes then this would be a revolution for Pakistani politics and it would also make the Dictatorship disappear a more stable Pakistan will appear.

Let’s get this straight Musharraf came in power declaring he is democratic and wants democratic elections. However, he is has been in power (so called democratically) for more than 2 terms the constitution does not allow a third term, like Musharraf follows the constitution.
He was elected President only once by the present government.

The one time before really doesn't count. A one year term? That's not even an argument. He has one more turn left.

He can’t step down from chief of army staff and do elections because the constitution says if you are part of any organisation, to be able to do elections you must step down form that organisation/institute and wait for 2 years then hold elections. Musharraf is not going to take that step. This is also one of the many reasons the CJ has been ousted he was selected by Musharraf because they thought he would follow Musharraf like a dog. Now the CJ won’t allow Musharraf to appeal for a third term we can see CJ opposes him.
Now now, that's not why the government had issues with him. He was about to literally fire 43 elected members of parliament over the issue of fake degrees. It's the PML-Q/Shaukat Aziz who filed a reference against him, not Musharraf. Musharraf would lose allies sure but life would still go on and the next election is just around the corner.

Before CJ could do that, they entrapped him into this other case of which CJ is completely guilty as well whereas the fake degree issue is still to be proven.

If Musharraf steps down or runs out of the country, I wouldn’t think that another General would try to seize power as this would lead to consequence for which it could cost Pakistan. However, in the past many assignations, attempts were taken on Musharraf and the General who would try to seize power would know he isn’t safe.
You really think Pakistani generals are a bunch of pussies eh?

The chief justice is not a politician he is though made to look like one in the media and Musharraf has said his role politics would be dealt with. CJ is not a politician though he is the first CJ who has stood up against a dictator, last time a CJ did that he was attacked and had to fled the country he went to UK and I believe died in the UK as well. What CJ has done is that he has made an excuse for the majority of people to go on the streets and protest against Musharraf, this has been done successfully, and effectively the political parties have also demonstrated against Musharraf.
How is the media making him assemble mobs and go out on rallies? How is the media making him surround himself with PPP members? How did the media make him synchronize his address to the Karachi bar association with the MMA/PML-N rally?

He's not a politician sure, but he's tied up with politics since he's in cahoots with the opposition's political parties.

If Musharraf goes MQM goes in the past MQM leader Altaf has murdered many Pakistani soldiers in Karachi; MQM was created by Zia. MQM leader made mini jails were he tortured Pakistani soldiers and for that, he is a coward he is also the chaos of Karachi. Karachi was said to be the city of peace the city that illuminated, however, it now illuminates fire burning street to street because of MQM. If a democratic government comes they will first take down MQM and trail there leader who lives in UK the coward.
Really? Benazir's period in the power saw the most of the Karachi violence. There literally were shootings 24/7, gun battle on the streets. After 5pm nobody would step out of the house.

However, there should not be any prejudice towards Muhajirs of Karachi or else where the majority lawyers are Muhajirs this minority Pakistani sect is the brightest in Pakistan. They have top jobs in fact, most of the government is made of Muhajirs and that shows how dedicated these people are, and how educated they are.
And Karachi's Muhajirs vote for MQM. Heck everyone in Karachi votes for MQM now.

If Musharraf goes then this would be a revolution for Pakistani politics and it would also make the Dictatorship disappear a more stable Pakistan will appear.
Revolution indeed, we'd have the same robbers and looters to plunder Pakistan.

'Open letter': a rejoinder

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=56373

I read Rauf Klasra's article appearing in The News on May 9 on the flight from London to Islamabad. As usual, truth is the first casualty.

I have only a few friends whose affection and concern for me has visibly increased. The 'social isolation' exists in the imagination of Mr Klasra, who is also wrong in his assertion that I received "a handsome money for services" for NAB. In the initial days of NAB, a few of us volunteered to be prosecutors, not for 'handsome money' but in the belief that Lieutenant-General Syed Amjad Hussain, the first chairman of the bureau was capable of tackling corruption.

Mr Klasra twice refers to my 'Open Letter' as infamous, completely overlooking the fact that between February 16 and March 9 there was neither infamy nor a comment. His assertion that the letter was written "in the hope of becoming a hero" is equally astonishing. A person who has never contested an election even in the legal community, has never joined a political party, has experienced fame beyond desire, and is nearing sixty years, would have no incentive or yearning to be a 'hero'. Not a single instance has been cited where I made a 'proud appearance'. Pride in any shape, is alien to me.

My 'collaboration with the military government' nor the 'vested interest' has been amplified. However, conjecture is considered a sufficient alternative to evidence. It is not even pointed out that if the government had decided to file a reference, why would they require a letter?

Except for the weekly interview show on a TV channel (which is continuing), I have not appeared on any other channel for nearly two years. Unlike many other commentators, I consider it inappropriate to comment on matters that are sub judice. I also do not subscribe to a 'gherao' of the Supreme Court nor of boycott of courts, which is both unfair and unjust for litigants. Till the recent happenings, I could not even conceive of lawyers in uniform beating their breasts or burning black coats or insisting that matters before the Supreme Court should be withdrawn or decided in terms of the slogans raised in the streets. The issues before the Supreme Court have to be decided by the Supreme Court. The inquiry before the Supreme Judicial Council has to be decided by the Supreme Judicial Council.

The assault (verbal or physical) on lawyers representing the federation or the government or the president is a terrible precedent, which the legal fraternity will regret. If the present agitation is both correct and appropriate, shame on the supporters of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, who allowed the trial against him to proceed in the High Court and the appeal in the Supreme Court. Shame on the supporters of Mian Nawaz Sharif, who allowed a court in Karachi to inflict life imprisonment on him. Shame on those who supported Chief Justice Sajjad Ali Shah, for allowing the Supreme Court to remove him from his position as Chief Justice of Pakistan.

I do repent in not writing the open letter earlier.

Let Mr Klasra not judge me in the current frenzy, but when issues have been sorted out and matters settled. Like all outbursts, this too shall pass.

Lastly, since Mr Klasra is in London, he does not know that I have never been a social person and my outings were and are limited to a few friends, who are with me. Only they matter.

Naeem Bokhari

Islamabad

Asim Aquil said:
He was elected President only once by the present government.

The one time before really doesn't count. A one year term? That's not even an argument. He has one more turn left.

He was called president general Musharraf since he came in power in 1998 ever since he has been a puppet.

Asim Aquil said:
Now now, that's not why the government had issues with him. He was about to literally fire 43 elected members of parliament over the issue of fake degrees. It's the PML-Q/Shaukat Aziz who filed a reference against him, not Musharraf. Musharraf would lose allies sure but life would still go on and the next election is just around the corner.

Hence I said one of many reasons Musharraf doesn't like the CJ. There is something you can see but ignore every time, the CJ was selected by Musharraf, and Musharraf is not elected by all means he is a dictator.

Asim Aquil said:
Before CJ could do that, they entrapped him into this other case of which CJ is completely guilty as well whereas the fake degree issue is still to be proven.

Show evidence that is accountable. You cant see that Musharraf has been guilty for many action that have costed Pakistan, the liability of your view is such that it only is confined on what you want to hear.

Asim Aquil said:
You really think Pakistani generals are a bunch of pussies eh?

Why did you swear for?

O well if u mean the generals like Ayub Khan the first dictator of Pakistan ran away, Yahya Khan the first dictator who destroyed Pakistan later he ran away and gave power to Mr Bhutto, then one of the greatest traitor of Pakistan Zia and now present day dictator of Pakistan Musharraf.

Asim Aquil said:
How is the media making him assemble mobs and go out on rallies? How is the media making him surround himself with PPP members? How did the media make him synchronize his address to the Karachi bar association with the MMA/PML-N rally?

I cant understand from where you get that kind of view he is the CJ of Pakistan he was selected by Musharraf he isn't a mafia leader or mafia chief justice.

He's not a politician sure, but he's tied up with politics since he's in cahoots with the opposition's political parties.

Political parties joined his rally but it doesn't make your point valid that he has anything to do with any political party.

Really? Benazir's period in the power saw the most of the Karachi violence. There literally were shootings 24/7, gun battle on the streets. After 5pm nobody would step out of the house.

Did you see anything different now, she though lost her brother in the struggle to get MQM out of Karachi.

And Karachi's Muhajirs vote for MQM. Heck everyone in Karachi votes for MQM now.

:lol: Yeah, they really are dominating party when it comes to thuggery and stabbing people for for votes.

Revolution indeed, we'd have the same robbers and looters to plunder Pakistan.

Revolution only happens when you put effort into it and not chat about, the revolution you talk about is a lethargic revolution.

Millions of dollars export orders lost due to Karachi turmoil

http://www.geo.tv/geonews/details.asp?id=6036&param=3

KARACHI: The foreign buyers have cancelled export orders worth millions of dollars in the wake of political instability in the country and the alarming law and order situation here.

Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) president, Majeed Aziz told Geo News that over $50 million textile export orders have been cancelled due to the political instability in the country and the turmoil inflicting the city since last three days. Countries from where the orders were withdrawn included USA and some of the European countries.

Majeed Aziz told that the foreign buyers after canceling Pakistan export orders have turned towards other countries of the region and made contacts with India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

On the other hand, vegetables and fruits exporters said that at least Rs150 million export orders were revoked due to the ongoing violence and upsurge in the city since last three days. He said that Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Indonesia and Masqat have cancelled the shipment orders of about 6,000 tons of mango, potato and onion.

Height of selfishness, violence is the trade mark of Pakistani politcal parties. It is not difficult to visualise a Pakistan under there rule.

May 12 victim’s relatives refuse to accept compensation

By Ghanshamdas Dodeja

JACOBABAD, May 18: Relatives of Awami Tehrik leader Mohammad Nawaz Kandrani of the Thul taluka, a victim of the May 12 Karachi mayhem, have refused to receive compensation from the government.

Talking to reporters here on Saturday, Deedar Kandrani, a cousin of the deceased, and other family members said those offering compensation were involved in the murder of Mohammad Nawaz. So, there was no question of taking compensation from the murderers, they said.

The victim Nawaz Kandrani has left behind his wife Sakeena Khatoon, sons Yasir and Aitzaz Nawaz, and daughters Zarina and Samreen.

His family members said the children of Nawaz Kandrani were school going and they were not sure if they could continue their education after the murder of their father – the family’s bread earner.

Nawaz Kandrani had started political life from the platform of the Awami Tehrik in 1983 as a member of its central committee. He remained president of the party’s Jacobabad district chapter. He played a vital role in spreading awareness among the people of Thul, a small town in the Kashmore district, and turning it into a hub of political activities.

http://www.dawn.com/2007/05/19/top12.htm

UK condemns violence in Karachi

By M. Ziauddin

LONDON, May 18: “We condemn the violence in Karachi over the weekend and urge restraint on all parties,” a British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) spokesman said here on Friday.

He was commenting on the recent violence in Karachi and “the position of Altaf Hussain.”

The spokesman said Altaf Hussain was a British citizen, and “like anyone else in the UK, must abide by UK law. Any allegations against him will be thoroughly investigated in accordance with UK law.”

The following is the statement of the spokesman:

“Please find below an FCO comment on the recent violence in Karachi and the position of Altaf Hussain. You can attribute these comments to an FCO spokesman.

— We condemn the violence in Karachi over the weekend and urge restraint on all parties.

— Altaf Hussain is a British citizen and, like anyone else in the UK, must abide by UK law. Any allegations against him will be thoroughly investigated in accordance with UK law.”

The spokesman’s reference to allegations against Altaf Hussain was perhaps the FCO’s response to reports appearing in the British media to the effect that the MQM leader who is a British citizen and lives in London permanently was in part responsible for encouraging his party which is in power in Karachi to resort to violence.

http://www.dawn.com/2007/05/19/top17.htm

Violence is breach of any state's law and should not only be condemed but also be crushed by force.
As Altaf Hussain cannot break the laws of UK so should N.Sharif be treated with same stick and how come some tyrants are spreading violence freely in Pakistan. Are there no similar laws in Pakistan.
Who will pay to those in various other cities whose vehicles/properties had been damaged, whose life has been disrupted, who were tortured and injured. Who will pay for the loss of bussiness and damage to the state property, who will pay for the expenses of mobilising state resources. Who will pay for loss of children education and setting a un-civilized legacy for the youth.
Not only, those should be identified and prosecuted also those who financed them from abroad.
If in UK provocative speeches can result in svere punishments why not in Pakistan?
Why all Europe is a classic example of racism and still not criticised by Human rights activists?
Why some states act against the resolutions of UN and there membership not get invalidated?
Hypocrats should be ashamed of there acts, instead of destablizing reformist goverments, massacring children and women around the world just to get rich.

I am constantly amused at the political bias of certain posts. What are we talking about; reference against the Chief Justice or removal of Musharraf ??. It appears that a lot care nothing about justice as long Musharraf is toppled.

Let us for a moment assume that Chief Justice is an 'angel' wronged by the demon Musharraf. Musharraf has taken a legal step and filed a reference against the Chief Justice. Even the honourable Interceptor would agree that no one is above the law. Why not take let the legal system take its course??. At least wait till a decision comes and if it appears that justices has not been done then take to streets.

What has been happening instead is that all political parties have used this heaven sent opportunity to try to bring down the government.

Dear Interceptor, obviously you are a peoples party man as evident from your choice of ZAB photograh as your emblem; why do you want to to bring down the government when elections are only a few months away. Do you fear that PPP is not popular enough to win a majority??

Please consider the possible scenario in the event Musharraf is ousted at this moment. How will it benefit PPP and Benazir. I maintain that only people that will benefit will be the mullahs and MMA is against every thing PPP stands for. Firstly PPP is liberal in its outlook. Secondly how will Mullah accept a women as Premier once again. What will be the position of current Chief Justice. Is he a PPP man???.

I am not greatly fond of Musharraf and believe he is past his 'Shelf Life'. But why not bargain with him to gain power as PPP was doing until recently. Musharraf was openly telling Pakistanis that if you like me then vote for liberal parties. Who are the liberals if not PPP and MQM. Why this rush to de-stabilise the governemnt and cause billions of dollars worth of damage???

May be you think that you leaders are so good that every one should stand aside for them. Other people think the same about their leaders. IMO prudence demands that any thing is better than chaos. However, MMA, Muslim League ( N) and even PPP seem to be on a course which implies that they would rather see Pakistan go to the dogs but would not tolerate Musharraf. It happened twice before, in 1968 when Yahya Khan took over and again in 1976 when Zia ul Haq took over. How will that help your favourite Chair Person. Traditionally Army has been allies of the right wing parties which PPP is not but MMA is.

Who says that the wise learn from past mistakes ??.

No one is above law but where was Mush and his faithful PM when PML-Q and PPP-Patriots were formed. Why didnt Mush see the NAB cases against the Lotas in the ruling parties. Rather NAB was used to buy their loyalties and once they voted for the general they were given a general amnesty.

Where was Mush when Owais Leghari almost sold out PSM's. Had it not been for the "non-functional" CJ, we would have lost a valuable asset.

Btw for those who blame CJ for mayhem in Karachi i will post links in this message and keep them updated. Perhaps i may be able to change ur views

In Karachi, the wounds caused by the May 12 carnage will take time to heal. The demand for a judicial probe into the tragedy that has so far resulted in the death of 48 people has not yet been accepted and gives the impression that the federal and provincial governments have things to hide. The MQM, which is being held responsible by all opposition parties for the May 12 massacre, now blames “the establishment” for the deaths. What is meant by “establishment” defies logic because the MQM is itself part of Sindh’s coalition government. A three-day strike is due later this week, and the citizens of the metropolis are wondering whether the federal and provincial governments are aware of the gravity of the situation and whether they have taken appropriate steps to meet any eventuality.

http://dawn.com/2007/05/22/ed.htm

The day of the sector commanders
By Ayaz Amir

WITH apologies to Euripides for quoting him again: “Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.” No other explanation holds for the events of May 12 when Pakistan’s once-upon-a-time City of Lights was handed over, with the utmost of deliberation, to the forces of darkness and anarchy.

There is nothing surprising in avowed criminals spreading lawlessness, nothing surprising in a mafia carrying out a murder, mafias after all being in the business of murder. But here was something completely different: the supposed guardians of order themselves perpetrating disorder, gifting for 24 hours and more the city of Jinnah to elements dedicated to violence and intimidation---elements whose trademark has been the political use of terror.

Not just the abdication of authority but much worse: for perhaps the first time in our none-too-happy history a provincial government, with encouragement from afar, not only turning a blind eye to anarchy but actively encouraging it. If this is not madness, what is?

Why the paralysis of Karachi, the gifting of it to killing and mayhem? Why the miraculous disappearance of the so-called law-enforcing agencies, the police and the Rangers? Only so that the Chief Justice of Pakistan, Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry, should not travel down the Sharea Faisal and arrive at the High Court to address the Karachi Bar. Our city and who dare enter it against our wishes?

This was going one better than the Nazis. They set fire to the Reichstag in 1934 so as to find a pretext to crush their opponents. But they set fire to one building, however important, not the whole of Berlin.

Here an entire city, Pakistan’s largest, its financial and commercial hub, its only seaport, paralysed – hundreds of buses, trucks and containers hijacked in the previous 24 hours to block not just the major arteries but also minor roads – all because Justice Chaudhry should not be able to get out of Karachi airport and those wishing to welcome him should not be able to go to the airport.

Justice Chaudhry and the lawyers accompanying him were not allowed to step out of the airport. Yet Gen Musharraf feels no qualms about holding them, rather than himself, responsible for what happened in Karachi that day.

The Nazis had their gauleiters. Karachi has its sector commanders. This was the day of the sector commanders.

With roads blocked, movement was difficult if not impossible. But people were willing to brave all obstacles and make it to the airport. At several points they were set upon and ambushed, all with the greatest deliberation. Fortytwo dead are the accounted for victims of this slaughter although the real toll could be higher. Many more were injured.

At the Jinnah Hospital which I visited the next day I saw people lying with gunshot wounds – all poor, most of them day-labourers, in pain and dazed at what had befallen them.

The sector commanders were trying to show their strength. What they have exposed instead is their weakness, their terror at the thought of Justice Chaudhry coming in triumphal procession down the Sharea Faisal. One man striking terror into the hearts of a multitude: the wages not of strength but abject cowardice.

Gen Musharraf outdid himself that evening, declaring before the rent-a-crowd gathered in front of the houses of parliament in Islamabad that it was the power of the people which had manifested itself in Karachi and that anyone daring to stand in its way would be crushed. As a British paper has commented, not a twinge of shame, not a touch of remorse, just loud talk and a swaggering attitude and this on the day Karachi was visited by death and anarchy.

We’ve heard of riots being incited against Muslims in India by Hindu extremists to achieve some dark political purpose. In Karachi no compunction was shown in shedding Muslim blood in order to score a political point that defies sense and understanding.

And as if to emphasise the ‘strategic’ nexus behind these events, at a hastily-convened meeting of the Q League in Islamabad, Gen Musharraf exhorted his assembled supporters (for the most dispirited because of the killings in Karachi) not to leave the MQM alone in its hour of trial and distress. This was less exhortation than a cry from the heart. Not a word about healing Karachi’s wounds, not a word of regret about the madness that had tipped Karachi into anarchy, just a long harangue about coming to the aid of the MQM.

Even from that gathering of the meek and the docile murmurs arose against the MQM, only to be brushed aside, the order of the day being “support the MQM”.

There was also anger at the media, presumably for showing the emperor and his cohorts without their clothes. The media is being watched was the second order of the day. It better behave or it would be dealt with sternly.

This seems to be the season of sternness. The Chief Justice was dealt with sternly and we know what has come of that. Karachi has been dealt with sternly and we know the grim fruits of that. There are other indicators in the wind: the firing on the house of Munir Malik, President of the Supreme Court Bar Association (two days before the CJ’s arrival in Karachi). Now the tragic killing of Hammad Raza, Assistant Registrar of the Supreme Court.

Hammad, virtually staff officer to the CJ, was reportedly under pressure to give evidence against him. By all accounts an upright officer, it is being said that he wasn’t coming around. The government says he died in the course of an attempted robbery – an explanation few people in the country are willing to buy. His wife says it was a targeted killing. Allah knoweth best. All we can be sure of is that strange things are afoot in this season of sternness.

Hand it to Gen Musharraf though for making no bones about his ambition. His third order of the day at that same Q League meeting was not to be upset by ‘temporary’ troubles and instead concentrate on ‘my reelection’ which would benefit the Q League’s election prospects. A preview, no doubt, of the free and fair elections towards which we are supposedly heading.

Elections under Musharraf, elections in Karachi under the aegis of its sector commanders: there were few takers for these ideas before, fewer still after the events of May 12.

Army chiefs have presided over our biggest disasters: foolish, unnecessary wars, even the country’s dismemberment. Ayub Khan and Yahya Khan are the true fathers of Bangladesh. If the people of Bangladeshi had any gratitude, they would raise statues in their honour.

But the army command allowing itself to be perceived in the colours of ethnicity – and I choose my words most carefully here – is a first, never happening before. Are our self-appointed saviours, whose time as all the signs suggest, is clearly up, totally oblivious of the grave consequences of their actions?

Karachi-specific ethnicity was a bad enough phenomenon. Nothing, however, can be more sinister than playing the ethnic card from the centre. This is one game of poker best avoided. There also should be some limits to personal ambition. Self-preservation is a powerful feeling and up to an extent understandable, but it shouldn’t be stretched to the point where it drags everything down with it.

This is going to be a long, hot summer. Pray God some sense prevails. Pakistan was not created for men of limited ability to play around with its destiny. Pakistan a failed state? By no means. Its failures have been the failures of its leaders. But we may have turned a corner and in that sense left the past behind because the one sentiment being voiced across the country is, “Enough is enough”.

The yearning for change is visible. More than that, as the popular response to the judicial crisis shows, the struggle for change is being joined by wider sections of the people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom