What's new

Massive floods across Pakistan | Thousands Killed

Because India.. like all wonderful neighbors, tends to be as helpful as possible.. blocking water in drought conditions so that crops rot and releasing it when our canals are already full so that maximum destruction is caused.

Leave others, being a think tank you should know the depth of accusation you're making on India. I wonder why Pakistan is not moving to UN or even formally protesting to GoI for disaster India causing deliberately to Pakistani common people. Ain't your gov care for her own people?

MUZAFFARABAD, Pakistan, Aug 1, 2010 (AFP) - The death toll from floods in Pakistan passed 900 on Sunday as nearly 50 people were confirmed dead in the capital of Pakistani-controlled Kashmir, officials said.

"Forty-seven people have been killed and another 39 injured by floods in different parts of Muzaffarabad" since last week, Pakistani Kashmir's State Disaster Management Authority chief Farooq Niaz told AFP.

The floods have killed at least 862 people around the northwest Pakistani province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

Leave others, being a think tank you should know the depth of accusation you're making on India. I wonder why Pakistan is not moving to UN or even formally protesting to GoI for disaster India causing deliberately to Pakistani common people. Ain't your gov care for her own people?

I know exactly the depth.. and it is correct, protest.. our government?.
With a president that is intending to go to the UK to attend his son's convocation even after Camerons vilifying comments about pakistan.
A prime minister who stopped the recovery effort for the Airblue flight so he could show up and make a political statement..
I doubt our government would protest anything, and according to international law, India is allowed to open spillways in its part of the river in case of heavy monsoon, even though, in most cases.. the Indians can hold it back for a while till the water recedes here a little bit. But no.. whats the fun without making life more miserable for Pakistanis..
Being a TT does not mean i have to kiss indian *** everywhere just to show myself as neutral.

Sometimes we are crying about India restricting our water and sometimes we are crying about floodings however in between two extremes of crying we refuse to help ourselves by building dams to harness this rain water and let it wreck havoc on ondinary people.

Sometimes we need to cry less about India and more on pathetic affairs of our state.

With a president that is intending to go to the UK to attend his son's convocation even after Camerons vilifying comments about pakistan.
A prime minister who stopped the recovery effort for the Airblue flight so he could show up and make a political statement..
I doubt our government would protest anything, and according to international law, India is allowed to open spillways in its part of the river in case of heavy monsoon, even though, in most cases.. the Indians can hold it back for a while till the water recedes here a little bit. But no.. whats the fun without making life more miserable for Pakistanis..
Being a TT does not mean i have to kiss indian *** everywhere just to show myself as neutral.

Do you know for a fact that for a fact that the Jammu Tavi reservoir was not above the danger mark??

Besides you do know that ppl have died in Rajouri due to rain flooding.

Do you know for a fact that for a fact that the Jammu Tavi reservoir was not above the danger mark??

Besides you that know ppl have died in Rajouri due rain flooding.

About 300 people in all of India.. I know.
I also know that the head of IRSA contacted his counterpart in India to ask him to co-ordinate water release to avoid flash floods in Lower Punjab and Sindh..
he was rebuffed with a simple "not our problem" line.

About 300 people in all of India.. I know.
I also know that the head of IRSA contacted his counterpart in India to ask him to co-ordinate water release to avoid flash floods in Lower Punjab and Sindh..
he was rebuffed with a simple "not our problem" line.

I can't vouch for what chairman of IRSA was told too..

but tell me if the reservoir cracks ..how man more ppl will die in both India and Pakistan...it will be disaster of different magnitude..these flash floods, which are primarily due to rainfall ..will turn into river floods ....besides I think Pakistan's primary concern show be the low Pressure trough ..which will hit Pakistan tonight...after two day of continuous rains in Delhi..the "low" has moved out of here and is moving towards Pakistan.

PESHAWAR, Pakistan, Aug 1, 2010 (AFP) - The floods that have killed more than 900 people in Pakistan are among the deadliest ever seen in Asia over the past 20 years.

Others include:

June-September 1991: More than 3,000 dead in central and eastern China

September 1992: More than 3,000 dead and missing in northern and central Pakistan following monsoon rains

July 1993: More than 2,000 are killed in Nepal, and around 1,000 in Bangladesh and India, after monsoon rains

June-September 1993: More than 3,300 dead during the rainy season in China

June-July 1994: More than 2,000 dead in China, mainly in the south

July-August 1996: Some 3,000 dead in nine provinces in central China

March 1998: More than 1,500 dead in southwestern Pakistan after floods struck around 100 villages

May-August 1998: More than 4,000 dead in southern and central China, with most of the victims in the Yangtze River valley, in the worst floods since 1954 when more than 30,000 died

June-September 1998: Some 2,000 dead in northern and eastern India

July-September 1998: Around 2,000 dead and more than 30 million left homeless by floods that struck two-thirds of Bangladesh

June-September 2007: Monsoon rains leave more than 1,000 dead and displace 2.5 million others in Bangladesh

August 2007: At least 600 dead or missing in North Korea during heavy rains

August 8, 2009: Floods triggered by a typhoon leave 614 dead and 75 missing in Taiwan

The biggest natural disaster to strike Asia in recent years remains the December 2004 tsunami that struck about a dozen countries and killed more than 226,000 people.

You changed your assertion from India causing disaster to India could have done more to prevent it. Fair enough.

Hope you do know that flood is more prone to occur at downstream.

Also you seem to know that 300 people have died in our part as well.

Also it should be expected that India should take care of her citizens first.

And if the Dams cracks how much disaster it will bring upon to both people in India and Pakistan, and how it will contribute to already volatile state of J&K.

It's not about neutrality but power of reasoning and not letting yourself overwhelmed by emotion that's what expected from TT. Anyway at least you didn't call us sons of Chanakya and what not(last time I checked chanakya hailed from Gandhar and was a graduate and teacher of Takhhashila. What irony!).

I trust that, with a cool head, you will check and let us know if the Western Rivers which are meant for Pakistan (with a small amount of Water from these rivers which India can Draw) have "Storage" Dams in India or are they only "Run of the Mill(?)" Type.

If the later, case then India does not have the ability to control the Flood Waters.

Thank You.

Sometimes we are crying about India restricting our water and sometimes we are crying about floodings however in between two extremes of crying we refuse to help ourselves by building dams to harness this rain water and let it wreck havoc on ondinary people.

Sometimes we need to cry less about India and more on pathetic affairs of our state.

Good points.
Now a days it is fashionable to blame everything on Zardari but Pakistan's water-management was not much better under absolute and unaccountable military rulers like Zia or Musharraf for nearly 2 decades of their combined rule.

With so much unemployment and poverty I'd guess there would be no shortage of people to line-up canals and build dams, even if smaller dams, in Pakistan. There have been dire warnings about water shortage in Pakistan--a crisis worse than even power-shortages. But the rulers (including the Khakis) have not grabbed the bull by the horns while the non-tax paying ruled are happy to watch Sania-Shoaib like soap operas.

I don't know enough about India's role in Pakistan's water problems but I think, after this flood, it becomes clear that Pakistan can certainly better manage the water it actually has.

Didn't the gov't know ahead of time how severe this storm would be? Is there not a flood shelter protection plan to save the populace?

Because you can't rely on the gov't providing "enough" helicopters afterward. That's very bad planning. Us Americans learned that when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans several years ago.

Didn't the gov't know ahead of time how severe this storm would be? Is there not a flood shelter protection plan to save the populace?

Because you can't rely on the gov't providing "enough" helicopters afterward. That's very bad planning. Us Americans learned that when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans several years ago.
I think only few areas have monitoring devices and Govt did IIRC inform the people and started registration relief camps but even now a lot of people are not coming to relief registration camps from areas where flood will reach soon.People just don't want to leave their homes and then they pay the price when floods come.In Pakistan Generally Army deals with relief activities as only Army has the adequate infrastructure to support relief activities.The Provincial Governments request Army to send troops for relief activities just as Sindh Government yesterday requested Army Corps Stationed in Sindh to provide troops for relief activities with choppers etc.Pakistan has stepped up relief work for its flood-hit north-west, with 30,000 troops joining the effort.
For Example Read this News from Today

RAHIMYAR KHAN: Contingents of Pak Army have arrived in Rahimyar Khan to deal with any contingency in view of possible flooding of the city while a flash flood with 520,000 cusecs water is passing through Chachran.

DCO Rahimyar Khan Dr. Ahmed Javed Qazi told Geo News the Army has set up camps in Chachran Sharif, Tehsil Jamaldin, Sadiqabad in view of the possibility of floods entering the area.

Besides, Civil Defence is also all set to provide rescue services.

The DCO said that some of the locals living near the riverines have started shifting to safer places but so far no one has come for registration at the relief camps.
-
So people don't listen much to government until push comes to shove.

I don't think it's possible to forecast flash flood.

Because India.. like all wonderful neighbors, tends to be as helpful as possible.. blocking water in drought conditions so that crops rot and releasing it when our canals are already full so that maximum destruction is caused.

Because Bharat is known for such inhuman acts. You block Pakistani water in Summer when we need it the most and India Push the extra water into Pakistan to flood and Kill Pakistanis. WHY THE HELL OPEN THE EXTRA WATER INTO PAKISTAN DURING MONSOON??????

NOW SHUT UP and keep stealing water and killing innocent people YOu chunkya followers :angry:

before blaming on india please can u provide any link(non-pakistani) which can proof your words.....
however pakistan is suffering from massive flood not due to fault of india,it's your mistake. you can also build dams to contain river water and i never happens. and now you shut up.

Back
Top Bottom