What's new

Massive earthquake in Pakistan

An earthquake of magnitude 7.7 struck Pakistan and northeastern Afghanistan on Monday, the U.S. Geological Survey said, sending tremors that were felt in India.

The quake was 196 km deep and centred 82 km southeast of Feyzabad in a remote area of Afghanistan in the Hindu Kush mountain range.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earthquake measured 8.1 on Richter scale: Met dept

However, Pakistan’s Meteorological Department has said the earthquake measured 8.1 on the Richter scale.

Our thoughts and prayers to the nations affected including pakistan. You will have our all out support if needed . Thankfully from what i hear the casualties are very limited and are NOTHING compared to the scale of the quake .

If this happened in Iran we'd have hundreds of thousands of casualties.

Let's thank the lord for his mercy

You guys have our all out support.

Peace to you and your nation

Didn't feel it here in Karachi. Stay safe everyone in Northern Pakistan. Our prayers and support is with you.

ALLAH kary Karachi never experiences an earthquake Ameen. The result would be devastating.

I was speaking to my mother few seconds ago on the phone and suddenly she started shouting --- massive earthquake massive earthquake

and it carried on for over a minute and then the phone is disconnected

I hope my whole family and the entire Pakistan is safe

i don't do prayer, but my sincere wishes are with you and your family, aether bhai... my wishes are with all innocents in the affected areas in afghanistan and india too.

i especially wish for your unwell father. :)

She started crying as she has also witnessed the earthquake of 2005 which devastated millions of families.

seems no country in the subcontinent has learnt from past earthquakes and made residential and office areas open and safe... every place is choc-a-bloc with buildings and huge masses of people. :angry:

governments here spend huge amounts of money and resources on buying foreign weapons but not for bringing foreign expertise in development of new planned cities that can be made free from most possible damage by quakes... things like houses being max two-storey within a garden setting instead of ugly and hazardous 10-storey apartment complexes.

Many of the injuries in Pakistan will be due to people panicking, running and falling!

The full extent of the damage and the number of possible casualties is not yet known. Pakistani officials have reported four deaths and an official in Badakhshan said there were reports of casualties and destruction.

Dr Muhammad Sadiq, the head of emergency services at a government hospital in Pakistan’s northern Swat Valley, told AFP that more than 100 people were also injured.

State-run Pakistani television said at least one person died when the roof of a home collapsed in the eastern city of Kasur.

Back
Top Bottom