What's new

Mark Wiens Explores Authentic Bangladeshi Cuisine

Bakarkhani Roti was of course a staple snack in my family for afternoon tea and even breakfast. Miss the darned things.
Never tasted a Bakharkhani Roti. Is it Roti or Nan? I saw in the video, the raw Roti is pasted in a Tandoor-like oven, probably built of clay, just like Nan is done.

Something can be seen inside the Bakharkhani cuts. What is this? Some sweets or what?

Never tasted a Bakharkhani Roti. Is it Roti or Nan? I saw in the video, the raw Roti is pasted in a Tandoor-like oven, probably built of clay, just like Nan is done.

Something can be seen inside the Bakharkhani cuts. What is this? Some sweets or what?

If I remember it correct its egg kinda stuff

To be honest, after seeing couple of videos today this petuk couple appears to me to be unprofessional food vloggers who are often awkward and laughing for no apparent reason.
Unlucky Mark Wiens and BD. They even fail to describe many things, right? Someone please tell me are they even real food enthusiasts or just mostly for attention and views
petuk couple are travel and food vlogger, they are among the top vlogger in bd.
of course they make a lot of money out of it but one cant be in the business just faking it.

of course they make a lot of money out of it but one cant be in the business just faking it.
Obviously, there were no questions about it, and perhaps I failed to clear myself. Correct me if I'm wrong, there are significant differences between food enthusiasts who are vloggers (Mark Wiens definitely falls into this category) and food vloggers whose priority is views and attention (there are many vloggers like this these days, and I felt like Petuk falls into this) because their food description level is below average for a top vlogger, otherwise I wouldn't use the word unprofessional earlier.
On the other hand, Adnan Faruque seemed reasonable

Obviously, there were no questions about it, and perhaps I failed to clear myself. Correct me if I'm wrong, there are significant differences between food enthusiasts who are vloggers (Mark Wiens definitely falls into this category) and food vloggers whose priority is views and attention (there are many vloggers like this these days, and I felt like Petuk falls into this) because their food description level is below average for a top vlogger, otherwise I wouldn't use the word unprofessional earlier.
I would not call them food vlogger as such, they are more of a travel + food + lifestyle + whatever happened to me recently like I bought a car type vlogger. They are not rich I suppose, and corona has limited travel options, so their content options is limited. They might not appear professional or refined (you are right) but I watch them to have a feel of ordinary middle class bd couple. I like khuda lagse too, mainly because of her smile. :)

Last edited:
To be honest, after seeing couple of videos today this petuk couple appears to me to be unprofessional food vloggers who are often awkward and laughing for

You're being overly critical.
They are just kids. Let them learn and grow. At least they could speak enough English to support Wiens. Watch the second video. They stayed up all night to cook all those dishes for Wiens. How many couples of their age are willing or able cook that well?
When was the last time Wiens received this level of guidance and hospitality from his hosts anywhere in the world? There is absolutely no way he could have covered so much ground without Petuk Couple.
Adnan too has flaws. He can barely complete a full sentence in English.
Vlogging is not as easy as it appears on the screen. 90% of the effort is off camera.

Last edited:

You may be right as in recent time many people are trying to open their channel to earn money doing simple stuff. I have not seen they have done anything fancy in their videos.

But please note that having 8.5 million subscriber is not a joke. Not everyone can have it. People liked it that’s why they have these much subscriber.

Yes they are not professional but gradually they will reach to that point.

I would not call them food vlogger as such, they are more of a travel + food + lifestyle + whatever happened to me recently like I bought a car type vlogger. They are not rich I suppose, and corona has limited travel options, so their content options is limited. They might not appear professional or refined (you are right) but I watch them to have a feel of ordinary middle class bd couple. I like khuda lagse too, mainly because of her smile. :)

I can’t define definition of rich here. But with the level of subscriber they have they are earning more than lakh or couple of lakh taka. This is not a middle class income in Bangladesh.

I don’t know if they are doing brand endorsement that can add more money in their income.

Plus this recent exposure will add more subscriber and money to their income.

Some come with sweet filling - some without.

The texture of Bakarkhani Roti is what is odd. It is very dry and flaky without being fried.

I like it.

I will try to watch their pre-pandemic vlogs later, thanks for the info. Petuk + Khudalagse + Rafsan looks like some trio where rafsan isn't definitely middle class or relatable to me at least and sometimes unwatchable. Not to mention, the food vloggers of bd also seem divided into groups. I prefer the ones who are still not in any groups. By the way, I'm not disagreeing with anyone here. Very valuable inputs are put forth by you guys, thanks

You're being overly critical.
They are just kids. Let them learn and grow. At least they could speak enough English to support Wiens. Watch the second video. They stayed up all night to cook all those dishes for Wiens. How many couples of their age are willing or able cook that well?
When was the last time Wiens received this level of guidance and hospitality from his hosts anywhere in the world? There is absolutely no way he could have covered so much ground without Petuk Couple.
Adnan too has flaws. He can barely complete a full sentence in English.
Vlogging is not as easy as it appears on the screen. 90% of the effort is off camera.

You are absolutely right about my being overly critical. LOL. Maybe my expectations were too high and also because to me it just felt like Mark Wiens deserved a better guide and explanation of what he clearly wanted to know, but no worries, I'm hopeful that next time he comes again, these problems will be covered. By the way, credit goes to that Srilankan girl from the Dubai vlogs for taking Mark to a BD restaurant, otherwise pretty much sure he wouldn't come to bd now or met the petuks (Mark Wiens accepted their invitation in the comments and in the next month boom he was in bd)
Adnan too surely has flaws and also has issues with quality control, though his recent video presentation and production quality improved a lot
You may be right as in recent time many people are trying to open their channel to earn money doing simple stuff. I have not seen they have done anything fancy in their videos.

But please note that having 8.5 million subscriber is not a joke. Not everyone can have it. People liked it that’s why they have these much subscriber.

Yes they are not professional but gradually they will reach to that point.

That is the disappointing part for me. A vlogger who's got several million subscribers should have better describing skills and scripts, especially when it comes to guiding someone special like Mark Wiens. I think they should've watched and studied Mark Wiens' videos more lol. Also regarding bd viewers, you already know the major percentage of kamla youtube viewers of bd can do

I don’t know if they are doing brand endorsement that can add more money in their income.
You didn't notice all the City Group sponsored water, sorisha soyabean oil, forced into their videos with Mark Wiens? That's one of the most frustrating things. The vlogs made it look like the entire journey and reception were funded by teer jibon pani toil

@notapdformat every vlogger/content creator has their own style and USP. People are making money literally 'reacting' to other videos(the most pointless and least effort video in my opinion). Some are eating food loudly(people like it), thats literally their content.
Petuk couple are not refined and I would not probably want them to. I am their target audience, I want to see authenticity/banality of everyday life in bd they deliver. Now a days they have drones as well and slightly sleek content but I hope they will remain true to their own style.

I watch high production quality travel vlogs too but find them a bit fake. This is first video I watched(bali) and found them very easy to watch. May be because I can easily identify myself with them?

@notapdformat every vlogger/content creator has their own style and USP. People are making money literally 'reacting' to other videos(the most pointless and least effort video in my opinion). Some are eating food loudly(people like it), thats literally their content.
Petuk couple are not refined and I would not probably want them to. I am their target audience, I want to see authenticity/banality of everyday life in bd they deliver. Now a days they have drones as well and slightly sleek content but I hope they will remain true to their own style.

I watch high production quality travel vlogs too but find them a bit fake. This is first video I watched(bali) and found them very easy to watch. May be because I can easily identify myself with them?

Man, don't take the words that I've said personally. I'm also putting my inputs here. For now, petuk seems like it's not my cup of tea, and talking about high production quality travel vlogs, I've been a regular consumer of travel vlogs for the last 6-7 years (replaced them with the cable TV bullshits then), but of course not the fake scripted ones. Quality and unfake ones do exist. I hope you will find that part of gold youtube, petuk isn't the only one making unfake videos, and having drones doesn't mean having a high-quality production or quality-controlled video. I mean video editing, direction and importantly, communication skills. Any way, please don't be offended. I didn't mean to hurt you

Last edited:
Man, don't take the words that I've said personally. I'm also putting my inputs here. For now, petuk seems like it's not my cup of tea, and talking about high production quality travel vlogs, I've been a regular consumer of travel vlogs for the last 6-7 years (replaced them with the cable TV bullshits then), but of course not the fake scripted ones. Quality and unfake ones do exist. I hope you will find that part of gold youtube, petuk isn't the only one making unfake videos, and having drones doesn't mean having a high-quality production or quality-controlled video. I mean video editing, direction and importantly, communication skills. Any way, please don't be offended. I didn't mean to hurt you
Man, was it too apparent that I am the guy in petuk couple videos? ha ha. jk :)
I was not defending them as such just that I like their style, if you think there are better ones, do post here. I would love to know your taste. Sorry if my posts had aggressive tone, I was just chitchatting with you.

Man, was it too apparent that I am the guy in petuk couple videos? ha ha. jk :)
I was not defending them as such just that I like their style, if you think there are better ones, do post here. I would love to know your taste. Sorry if my posts had aggressive tone, I was just chitchatting with you.
I said not to take offense because you mentioned you are a regular petuk viewer. That's it.
Just came back home from the eid vacation. I will try to get to you after some relaxation and find something for you later slowly

The strength of Bengali food is variety: chicken, beef, fresh water fish, seafood, veggies and mashes all are eaten in many varieties.
Good to see a lot of acknowledgement of the above from other countries:

Screenshot_20220508-232155_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220508-232211_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220508-232245_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220508-232313_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220508-232345_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220508-232336_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220508-232400_YouTube.jpg

Back
Top Bottom