What's new

Mark Wiens Explores Authentic Bangladeshi Cuisine

and what we call in pakistan pulao in BD you guys have khichri or biryani .
In BD, we also have pulau. This is without meat, However, Pakistani preparation may be more tasty.

Khichri is a mix of rice, haldi/ turmeric, daal masur (only, not other daals?), oil and water mixed together and boiled. I am no Baburchi, so, someone can tell if onions and others are used to cook Khichiri.

Biriyani in BD is the same in Pakistan.

Last edited:
Factually incorrect. People from Dhaka don't eat half as much beef/meat as people from Chittagong/chatgaiyas do.

We have our own beef dishes, chatgaiya specialities.

Indeed, we love meat so much we commemorate the death anniversaries of loved ones by hosting big beef eating feasts every year.. called mezban, a sight to be seen.

The dish is distinct beef curry called mezbani goshto.

From the lower to the middle to the elites, everyone in Chittagong has hosted mezban in memory of a loved one atleast once, if not every single year.

In big feasts, hosted by the elites and upper class, as many 10,000 people are fed or even more at times, huge feast tents are setup.

Everyone is welcome to feast, no invitation needed, only condition is praying for the soul of the deceased.

It is so popular, people I know have flown in chefs to foreign countries to host mezban there.

At a guess ? There's at least 10 mezban feasts in Chittagong at any given week or more... This is excluding the villages in the district.

TL;DR We eat alot more meat than people from Dhaka and the fact that meat is only eaten in Dhaka is a myth. Mind you, I have yet to speak of Kala bhuna, another chatgaiya knockout special.

Did I mention mezbani meat is always fresh, the cattle are bought, slaughtered, the meat cooked and served all in the same day... Cooking can involve anywhere from 10 to 100+ experienced mezbani chefs and kitchen helpers.

The fourth video breaks down Mezban.

A lot of misconception out there about Bangladeshi cuisine.

In BD, we also have pulau. This is without meat, However, Pakistani preparation may be more tasty.

Khichri is a mix of rice, haldi/ turmeric, daal masur (only, not other daals?), oil and water mixed together and boiled.

Biriyani in BD is the same in Pakistan.
we dont have universal biryani in pakistan sir :p: only karachi have real biryani

ami biryani khai bo . :enjoy:

in the starting i was not able to eat bangladeshi indian arab and other foods . 21 years ago when i first time exposed to them . today its something else .

in BD food i like
bhuna gosht
daal soup
beef with rice
and what we call in pakistan pulao in BD you guys have khichri or biryani .

from south indian food i eat biryani
The fifth video shows Kachchi Biriyani and Morog Polao being cooked in parallel.

I watched one of these videos - food looked amazing. Going to try and find an authentic bengali restaurant near me.
some dished are really good some taste totally different like we reached other planet :partay: i tried many . just ask him allo mashed and taste at your own risk :sick:

1651443994094.png

The fourth video breaks down Mezban.

A lot of misconception out there about Bangladeshi cuisine.

Apologies, I hadn't bothered to watch the videos until just now... Anyhow, I'm sure the extra details make the whole thing a lot more interesting..

There are mezbani feasts revolving around fish too btw, although very rare, they do happen, according to my mother anyway.

Check out bhorta's from 4:23:

Old Dhaka food is heavenly with many types of dishes. I have heard from others that there are little matrimonial relationship between men and women from old Dhaka and other areas.

Why? One reason is the existence of traditional old-Dhaka food varieties. Even a poor old Dhaka family would know how to cook many varieties of dishes whereas brides from other areas would not even be aware of the existence of so many varieties.

if someone in NYC, go to Jackson heights for B'deshis food- its mini Bangladesh nowadays
@Avicenna would know good restaurants too as he is born raised New Yorker
I only had it once kachi biryani, some weird sweet rice thing with meat and fish curry- fish curry was really good, didn't like sweet rice or kachi briyani

and also try that white mithai- I don't know what its called but mithai dipped in sugar syrup and tastes like malai

Mouth watering foods indeed.
Khuli aur Haddi, long time. Foodka and Dine Out with Adnan YT channels have done joint food runs in BD and Kolkata recently. Do check them out.

if someone in NYC, go to Jackson heights for B'deshis food- its mini Bangladesh nowadays
I only had it once kachi biryani, some weird sweet rice thing with meat and fish curry- fish curry was really good, didn't like sweet rice or kachi briyani

and also try that white mithai- I don't know what its called but mithai dipped in sugar syrup and tastes like malai
If sweetness stood out so much, they fcuked up Kachchi. Ask @Avicenna for better restaurant/catering recommendations.

some dished are really good some taste totally different like we reached other planet :partay: i tried many . just ask him allo mashed and taste at your own risk :sick:

View attachment 839943
This is our version of mashed potato. Unlike the bland Western mashed potato, ours is made in mustard oil with green chilli and red onion. Taste to behold.

Khuli aur Haddi, long time. Foodka and Dine Out with Adnan YT channels have done joint food runs in BD and Kolkata recently. Do check them out.

If sweetness stood out so much, they fcuked up Kachchi. Ask @Avicenna for better restaurant/catering recommendations.

I've moved down to Texas quite awhile back so I couldn't vouch for the latest and greatest that is there now.

We used to go to Sagar which is sort of the OG but that is in Jamaica.

In fact Jamaica is a hotbed of Bengalis with alot of nice little places I'm sure.

Amazing the progression of the neighborhood since the 1980's.

And the foundation is the masjid Jamaica Muslim Center.

I would try Yelp for the places in Jamaica Queens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom