What's new

Mao’s Grandson Rises in Chinese Military

Righteous_Fire

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mao’s Grandson Rises in Chinese Military​

He enjoys good food, collects Chinese fans and keeps an unapologetically patriotic blog. Now Mao Xinyu, the 39-year-old grandson and only surviving male heir of Mao, has become the youngest major general in the People’s Liberation Army, according to the state media.

Although his elevation has not been officially announced by the military and some Web sites have dismissed it as a rumor, the news was reported Thursday by the Changjiang Daily, a state-run newspaper, and has been among the top news items on Chinese Web portals as the nation prepares to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the revolution that brought Mao and the Communists to power.

A historian trained at the Central Party School and a steadfast guardian of Mao’s political thought, the younger Mao is one of the Great Helmsman’s four grandchildren.

China’s ruling party, unlike the one in neighboring North Korea, disavows hereditary rule. Even so, General Mao has had a low profile compared with that of other descendants of some major Communist Party leaders. He is not viewed as a “princeling,”.

Chinese analysts at one time speculated that General Mao might harbor ambitions of becoming a big-city mayor. But he seems to have settled for what has turned out to be a rewarding career in the military. He has also had some success writing books and articles on his grandfather.

During interviews, General Mao provides reliable paeans to his grandfather, whom he describes as “the spine of the Chinese people,” or simply the Chairman. “Without the guidance of Mao Zedong thought and Marxist theory, our industrialization and modernization could not have been accomplished,” he said in an interview published last month by Southern People Weekly. “China will not produce anyone as great as Mao Zedong within the next one thousand years.”

General Mao says he has no recollection of his grandfather, who died in 1976. His father, Mao Anqing, was dogged by illness, and he was reared by his mother, a photographer and army general.

In an interview published last year by News Express, a newspaper, General Mao complained about the pressures of being born into modern China’s most famous family. “As a descendant of the Leader, I do have a lot of stress,” he said. “I feel that people are always watching my behavior, so I must do good.”

:smitten::china:
===================\
===================/
Reference:​
NYT

Last edited:
surviving male heir of Mao, has become the youngest major general in the People’s Liberation Army
----------------------------------------
False news

most of chinese think he is a ****,and let his grandfather :no:

all of us laugh at this guy,a useless :pop:

the guy has some fans, but alot of people think he is just not a good image for the PLA, his weight and size is only one of the reasons, others include but not limited to his strategic ability or lack of and his mindset

一个谣言也能引起这么多遐想?

对于一个装疯卖傻的“安乐公”,宽容些吧……为非作歹的太子党那么多,为什么眼睛就盯着他,莫非都是欺软怕硬的?

外国人不了解实情,也无须解释,这里的中国人也不知道么,也跟着起哄,真是无聊

surviving male heir of Mao, has become the youngest major general in the People’s Liberation Army
----------------------------------------
False news

Hi wangrong,

So what parts are false and is there any truth?
Please elaborate...

Thanks

Hi wangrong,

Please elaborate...

Thanks

I'll take the liberty, and others can take me to task if they disagree.

What's false is the impression that he has even an iota of future in the PLA, or in any other organization for that matter. This is a foregone conclusion.

Somethings are done purely for nostalgia, for charity, and for old times sake, even in China.

Here Mr. Extraordinaire (Feifanke) really made a good point, which ought to translated, if only loosely:

The man is an object of pity, rather than scorn. International friends can be excused for being unawares. But it shows poor taste for the Chinese, who are expected to be a little bit "in the know", to mock a person so many feel sorry for. In addition, he is far removed from the current crop of "red princelings", who are increasingly a law and a caste unto themselves ...

It's easy to understand why he may be an "international sensation". But intellectually (and, well, physically), he is seen by some as the "karmic" reflection of his grandpa.

Whether you rue the "karma" or "celebrate" its "righteousness" - of course, depends on how you view grampy.

So let's say no more.

P.S., the most recent rumour supposedly out of the horse's own mouth is that he'll be promoted to a "major general" at the earliest next year, "barring unforseen circumstances" ...

Last edited:
Hi wangrong,

Please elaborate...

Thanks

Chairman Mao's grandson holds same military rank
+ - 09:49, September 25, 2009

Reports that Chairman Mao's only grandson was promoted to the rank of major general was dismissed as false, the Hong Kong-based Wen Wei Po said on Thursday.

Some media reports, both in China and abroad, said that Mao Xinyu, 39, was promoted from senior colonel to major general, thus possibly becoming the youngest to hold that rank in the People's Liberation Army.
Mao's secretary, Guo Jingliang, confirmed on Thursday that despite being introduced last year as the deputy director at a department on war theory and strategic research of the Academy of Military Sciences, Mao still holds the rank of senior colonel.

Guo said Mao has corrected journalists who addressed him as a major general during interviews.

"I hope the focus would be on Mao's remarkable academic achievements instead of the speculation and hype about promotions,"he said.

The only child of Mao Anqing, the late Chairman's second son, Mao Xinyu was born in 1970 and studied history at Renmin University of China. He earned a Ph.D at the Academy of Military Sciences and joined the army while pursuing his doctoral studies.

"It was after joining the army that I began to really understand grandpa…As a soldier, I regard him as our leader and commander-in-chief,"he told the Southern People Weekly last week.

Mao, who feels that upholding the Mao Zedong Thought is his unshakable responsibility, has authored a number of books, including the award-winning My Grandfather Mao Zedong (2003 edition).

Mao repeatedly expressed his respect for his grandfather.
"My grandpa has the most significant influence on my life,"he said, according to China News Service.

"My grandpa is the inspiration driving my progress."

Mao, who has read a wide number of biographies about Mao Zedong, voiced his averseness to books written by Americans, which, in his view, are filled with distortions and biased accounts, according to China News Service.

Mao also maintains a highly touted blog that has a big following.

Source:Global Times :pakistan::china:

Mao's a great man,he at least founded the New China, China at least is a power now,for this logical,Mao Zedong's a great leader.

In terms of leadership he was a leader for sure!

I hope he is being measured for his performance and not being promoted or condemned simply because of his grandfather.

I hope he is being measured for his performance and not being promoted or condemned simply because of his grandfather.

special case,special case。。。。。mao played a very important role in china's modern history,even though he made a lot of wrong decisions in his old age , one of his son dead in Korean War,we don't know much about this guy,but CPC gotta take care of mao's generations,at least for now

Last edited:
special case,special case。。。。。mao played a very important role in china's modern history,even though he made a lot of wrong decisions in his old age , one of his son dead in Korean War,we don't know about this guy,but CPC gotta take care of mao's generations,at least for now

He is a living piece of history. :) :china:

Unfortunately 3rd eye, he is being both "promoted" and "condemned" at the same time.

To make it easy for you, think of him as the "Varun Gandhi" of China - a little bit plumper (perhaps not by much), a little bit slower (also not by much), and likely a whole lot less vicious ...

That's why I personally kinda "like" him, because he does not come across as someone who is "mean". He is the "Forrest Gump" of the Mao family, which has now preciously few members left ...

Truthfully, would you want to trade places with Varun, with all the "advantages" and baggage he conceivably wields?

Likewise, I will bet that not one of the Chinese posters - anyone who is "advantageous" enough to be able to post on a blog will want to trade places with Mao the III.

So people should leave him be, just as Mr. Feifanke says.

On that note, I will shut up.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom