What's new

Man with 4 wives 19 children commits suicide

That may be in accordance with islamic law, but from an Indian legal as well as ethical POV, such a policy cannot be implemented. What you are essentially saying is that rich people can be allowed to have multiple wives, but poor people cannot. The state cannot and should not distinguish between rich and poor like that.

That being said, the state should also not have two sets of laws for different religions. Either polygamy should be allowed for all or for none, irrespective of religion. And going further, since the state should not differentiate on the basis of gender, if men are allowed to have multiple spouses, so should women.

I am not making a slippery slope argument here, I am serious.

This is not an argument for rich and poor.. this is a argument for essentially using the clause of the religion to end the issue with polygamy. Sure, the rich can have multiple wives... but then the clause also should include that strict measures will be taken against the husband(or wife) for that matter if any one of the spouses complains that they were not treated equally.

Outlawing polygamy may create a sense that a single religion is being targeted.. but making polygamy as difficult as juggling chainsaws will work without the whole issue becoming a ploy for minority squabbles.

If you can afford to have children have as many as you like they are an asset to both you and the community

if you want more then one wife, no problem as long as everyone is in agreement and you can afford

if you can't afford it then don't do it, stay within limits

this man took the cowards way out

Actually it was a case of, "Yeh dil maange more." But his wives refused to entertain him as enough was enough! :lol:

No it doesnt.. no community comes up just like that. there has to be encouragement from pragmatic elements.
A simple "its not our problem" will not solve it.

the 4 wife nonsense has a simple religious clause that the BJP would know about had it actually bothered to consider Islam as an Indian religion.. that you are not to take in 4 wives unless you can afford them and treat them. If the BJP can condescend to talk to clerics in Gujrat for a vote bank.. it sure can take in their cooperation to implement a civil law that forbids polygamy unless strict financial conditions are met followed by social checks.

@Oscar

I know that I am going to get a lot of flak from Indians for this, But I think you have one aspect of Indian politics spot on.

The bolded part. When you read the posts of Indians in PDF, at least some of them, it is obvious they treat Islam as an invading religion or an outsider's religion.

As to how to solve it? I have an imperfect suggestion. Engagement. As you said, reach out to clerics, community leaders etc to deliver the message grassroots.

I don't know about other parts of India, but I have seen very few cases in Kerala where Muslim Men marry more than 1 wife I think.

Instead of reservation may be focus more on financial incentives like scholarships for education.

In the end, the goals must be to increase economic, educational chances for Muslims.

That is actually a pretty effective method at population control.

Actually, this applies to the so called lower caste Hindus too.

Me trolling @Spring Onion aside Islam is in India to stay, and Indians need to figure out a way to move past the historical grievances Hindus and Muslims often get caught upon and realise that the Future India needs synergy of both the communities.

:)

Back
Top Bottom