What's new

Man Who Killed The USSR | General Akhtar Abdul Rehman.

@satishkumarcsc

They were fighting one of the most determined and fearsome gurilla force in human history. One Russian commander noted.

"How can you defeat an enemy,who looks right into the barrel of your gun and sees heaven?"

Did the Russian commander say this about the Afghan mujahideen ?

From what I am getting , he seems to have said it about the Chechen mujahideen.

Ay0uawbCIAAl1A8.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:
@nick_indian

I read it in some book, however such statements can be made to suit one's own desire on facebook. Just for the record, chechens fought in Afghanistan and still are.

FAR less price to pay than having Russians take Afghanistan leaving us to face a coordinated dual direction blitzkrieg by the USSR & its ally India resulting in the inevitable extinction of Pakistan from the map. This is the last thing we wanted after the 1971 defeat,Indian nuclear tests and follow up nuclear blackmail in 1973. We defeated and disintegrated a superpower, freed a dozen Muslim countries from USSR's claws, used that time to develop Nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles to face off enemies. The effort was a historic success. Pakistan walked out of that war as triumphant nuclear power.

After 30 years of war our economy is still developing at 3-4% a year, it has never gotten as bad as WWII in Europe, it could have been far worse. The significance of our triumf was displayed in Indian operation Brasstacks, when after 10 years of war in Afghanistan, Pakistan was strong enough to force Indian withdrawal from the borders...thanks to the time we used to develop Nuclear weapons. Almost 35 years later, we are still here and yes this pride is ours to take!

Hypothetical vs real. It was more of imaginary thing that it will impact Pakistan. Could be fear of1 971

@nick_indian

I read it in some book, however such statements can be made to suit one's own desire on facebook. Just for the record, chechens fought in Afghanistan and still are.

Yes , indeed . But I think the Russian soldier's comment was specifically for the Chechen mujahideen fighting in Chechnya. Anyway, not very important.

I think we need to stop glorifying Ji.hadi stupidity. This article only glorifies what happened in the 1980's when that was the biggest mistake in the history of this nation. It doesn't even mention the weaponizing of FATA, the eruption of criminal violence in all of Pakistan and the rise of drug users in Pakistan which all happened because of the idiotic so-called Jihad in Afghanistan. We glorify that useless Afghan Soviet war which did nothing but bog down Pakistan's economy and cause it huge losses.

The war we Pakistanis fought against the Soviets on US behest in the 1980's is responsible for the radicalization of the newer generation of Pakistanis. Secularism was demonized by the Zia government and treated as an enemy of the nation. Instead he promoted J.ihadi mentality which is stupidity at the highest levels. We have to get out of this thinking. We need to stop glorifying the terroristic past. The terrorists we see today were born during that time in 1980's. Our involvement in the war was a major mistake.

I think we need to stop glorifying Ji.hadi stupidity. This article only glorifies what happened in the 1980's when that was the biggest mistake in the history of this nation. It doesn't even mention the weaponizing of FATA, the eruption of criminal violence in all of Pakistan and the rise of drug users in Pakistan which all happened because of the idiotic so-called Jihad in Afghanistan. We glorify that useless Afghan Soviet war which did nothing but bog down Pakistan's economy and cause it huge losses.

The war we Pakistanis fought against the Soviets on US behest in the 1980's is responsible for the radicalization of the newer generation of Pakistanis. Secularism was demonized by the Zia government and treated as an enemy of the nation. Instead he promoted J.ihadi mentality which is stupidity at the highest levels. We have to get out of this thinking. We need to stop glorifying the terroristic past. The terrorists we see today were born during that time in 1980's. Our involvement in the war was a major mistake.

You need serious history classes.

It was US and British help which enabled Pakistan to create a mujaheddin force which fought a war with USSR for 9 years

I have read the book as well and I must say that as a biographical piece it does some justice to the general. As a warrior he deserves respect for taking on winning against the Soviet war machine; however, as a whole the Ziaist strategy in the long run did more harm than good. Yes, we were a good pawn for the USA but our own game got screwed. This book also details the author's accounts of General Mirza trying to get President Zia's attention about the refugees and their condition so it does absolve Gen. Mirza of the criticism he recieves for somethings. In the end he was a soldier and did a soldier's job mayhaps the fault lies in the strategist and not the commander.

I have read the book as well and I must say that as a biographical piece it does some justice to the general. As a warrior he deserves respect for taking on winning against the Soviet war machine; however, as a whole the Ziaist strategy in the long run did more harm than good. Yes, we were a good pawn for the USA but our own game got screwed. This book also details the author's accounts of General Mirza trying to get President Zia's attention about the refugees and their condition so it does absolve Gen. Mirza of the criticism he recieves for somethings. In the end he was a soldier and did a soldier's job mayhaps the fault lies in the strategist and not the commander.

Survival demands sacrifice.

Sir Jihad would continue till day end of this world sir no body can stop it only Muslim governments need to do it on their own and stop using proxies and what happened in 80s was our greatest achievement Sir other wise Russia had history of not stopping Sir and they needed warm waters Sir if we hadn't supported Afghans Russians would have come for us so we had no option but to call for Jihad and train our Afghan brothers and help them in their fight with invading Russia and in fact we were defending Pakistan by helping them other wise we were next target Sir

General Akhtar Khan was a media shy man but a true warrior and knew how to lead his forces and how to know what enemy wants and how he can be weakened under him ISI has flourished the most and is now one of the world best intelligence agencies and this is proven by the fact than these days we have to face Mossad and CIA and RAW and KGB together in Afghanistan still they are the ones who are running away and we are the ones who have the chance to have the final say

Hey, Haviz, how have you been?

Though I agree with you that we should look to encourage a more moderate and tolerant societal thinking I must point out to you that the article basically delves into a book and therefore it resonates his opinions and positions and even though we disagree with his poisition I think we should respect it.

The Pakistan involvement in the Afghan-Soviet conflict was perhaps inevitable the out pour of the refugees and the intelligence that the Soviets had had them thinking that the USA was trying to create a nexus of Pak-Afghan-Iran Muslim empire against the USSR which would instigate the Muslims of USSR against them as well (I would link you up to the documentary it's on Youtube but I cannot access it). So the USSR had contingency plans against Pakistan and an Afghani government under Soviet tutelage would have placed greater pressure against Pakistan as the Pro-Soviet India and Afghanistan could be used to counter the pro-US Pakistan and anti-USSR China. Strategically it was a good decision to engage the USSR in Afghanistan; however, like the South Koreans used the Korean war to use allied funding (Seoul was modelled on Karachi's KSE) to create a strong economy we used it badly and created more problems for us and our neighbours over there you are correct.

Back
Top Bottom