What's new

Mamata hurdle: Hasina may not ink Teesta deal

GR!FF!N

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Kolkata: It is unlikely that Sheikh Hasina will get India to sign the Teesta watersharing treaty during her present tenure as the prime minister of Bangladesh. Sources in Delhi confirmed that Mamata Banerjee has made it clear that her stand on the issue remains unchanged and urged the Centre not to take a decision till the Lok Sabha polls.

Elections in Bangladesh are also due in 2014 and Hasina, criticized for her pro-India stance, will face the heat if India refuses to ink the treaty by then.

Bangladesh had expected some development in the 38th Joint River Commission meeting to be held in Dhaka from June 18. This meeting was cancelled by India at the last minute. Though Bangladesh had initially demanded a 50% share of the Teesta water, in recent times the country was agreeable to a 25% share. The accord would likely have been signed by now had Mamata not put her foot down and refused to visit Bangladesh with PM Manmohan Singh in 2012. She had claimed that Bengal’s opinion had not been sought in the matter.

“In June this year, just before the JRC meet, the cabinet secretary received a letter from the chief secretary of West Bengal, informing the Centre that no minister from the state could attend the meeting in Dhaka due to the panchayat polls. The letter also spelt out quite clearly that West Bengal’s stance on the Teesta water-sharing treaty remains unchanged and the Centre shouldn’t take a decision before the Lok Sabha polls in 2014. After this letter, the government felt that there is no use convening the meet as Bangladesh would be looking forward to the Teesta agreement. The JRC meeting was called off thereby,” a source in Delhi said.

West Bengal minister incharge of the irrigation department Rajib Banerjee admitted that a letter was sent to Delhi. “I was to attend the JRC meeting in Dhaka and received an intimation from Delhi. However, according to the original schedule, the panchayat polls were to be held in June... We thereby wrote to the Centre about our inability to attend the JRC meet,” he said.

River expert Kalyan Rudra has headed a commission on the water issue. Though a report has been submitted, sources claim Mamata hasn’t gone through it. Rudra only said: “You can ask the chief minister and chief secretary about the report. I won’t be able to say anything.”

Article Window

evil yindoo chanakyan baniyas... :devil:

25% is too much, we should not give them more than 10% of water :coffee:

Don't expect anything better from india.

you lost the point..its not what our country offers,its what your country agreed upon..don't accuse us if you guys don't have the "B@lls" to deal with us properly..

Now they reduced it to 25%. Great going awami maggots. And Why is it termed mamata hurdle? Its Indo-awami hurdle. Is WB a independent state. All this teesta drama about a preceived mamata hurdle against "naive" Dadas in Delhi and Hasina's supposed rejection of Indian terms is all a good show in the backdrop of the sinking awami boat. Indo-awami loons can put a good show, they definitely deserve an oscar for this.

Now they reduced it to 25%. Great going awami maggots. And Why is it termed mamata hurdle? Its Indo-awami hurdle. Is WB a independent state. All this teesta drama about a preceived mamata hurdle against "naive" Dadas in Delhi and Hasina's supposed rejection of Indian terms is all a good show in the backdrop of the sinking awami boat. Indo-awami loons can put a good show, they definitely deserve an oscar for this.

India is a federal union where states have a degree of autonomy. It is upto West Bengal govt. to decide on water sharing, personally I feel giving 25% water is being too generous :coffee:, we should charge you $1/litre.

India is a federal union where states have a degree of autonomy. It is upto West Bengal govt. to decide on water sharing, personally I feel giving 25% water is being too generous :coffee:, we should charge you $1/litre.

Nice excuse. If one goes by this logic then WB is more independent than Bhutan. Though more than Indians I blame the awami low life parasites we have been burdened with.

plz don't flame, plz enlightened me how teesta river is important to u? well there's a huge volume of water from both ganga n Brahmaputra rite? (combined as meghna if m not wrong)how is teesta affecting ur industrial atmosphere? I heard somewhere there's so much water during rainy days that over 30% Bangladesh cums under flood,so restricted water flow shud help??

I personally think there shouldn't be any water deal..India's generosity in 2 water sharing deals cost us a lot..we shouldn't have any more water sharing deal on transnational rivers..

Nice excuse. If one goes by this logic then WB is more independent than Bhutan. Though more than Indians I blame the awami low life parasites we have been burdened with.

What excuse? WB govt. is independent to take decisions which are in interests of that state and it's people and we stand by them.

It is high time you start importing water from China. I heard they are building road to connect Dhaka to Beijing, ask them to build a canal too

What excuse? WB govt. is independent to take decisions which are in interests of that state and it's people and we stand by them.

It is high time you start importing water from China. I heard they are building road to connect Dhaka to Beijing, ask them to build a canal too

well,they know the fact that "geography" will keep them apart forever..they might cry in the name of China,but China is a "worlds away" and they have to live with that..and as the geopolitics are turning up,they'll be far more alone as Mayanmar is slowly turning against China.

Be ready for many more refusal from the upcoming government of Bangladesh

:raise:

Back
Top Bottom