What's new

Malaysian Muslims declare jihad on Cadbury over pork-laced chocolate

I think Cadbury should declare it on the package if the chocolate contains anything from pork.

If it is some pig parts in there then it is not Kosher either. Jews and Muslims have some things in common.

We do NOT "isolate the people". (Check the rosters of Major League Baseball, in the case of Cubans and Venezuelans. ) We may isolate the governments of certain countries. In the case of Venezuela, you are incorrect. We have full diplomatic relations with Venezuela. There is free and open travel between Venezuela and the USA and we have extensive trade and relations with Venezuela, despite conflicts with their leftist government. Cuba is most definitely isolated and personally, I don't think it should be. It is mostly because of huge numbers of Americans of Cuban heritage, who were the refugees fleeing Castro and his communist government. They have much political clout. Ironically, there is extensive and pretty open travel between Iran and the USA. One day, we may have full diplomatic relations but that is not our fault. We had an embassy there until you guys ransacked it and held our diplomats hostage. And nothing will change between our two countries as long as Iranian leaders say things like this...

Iran's ayatollah: Jihad will last until America is wiped out - Washington Times

Yah, words like that tends to sour relations between any two countries. :guns:

Yeah, Whatever helps you sleep at night. You missed my point, my point was that the countries that have the potential for better relations with USA are not given enought thought, instead US antagonizes them (1953 Iran's coup, supporting Islamists in Iran and overthrow of Shah, Khameni and Khomeni are US's creations, etc). Anyway, don't tell me relations with Venezula is all warm and fuzzy because we both know that's not ture.

I have already explained this to OCguy and I'll repeat it again, Khamenei hates you, he may have his reasons, but I couldn't personally give a **** about what he thinks, not many take this guy seriously. So prepare yourself, I'm not saying that the guy loves you, but whatever garbage that is posted on Conservative websites such as Washington Times, Daily Caller, etc... about such a (recent) statement by him are lies and exaggerations. Your convervatives are more or less are like our own Mullahs, wearing suit doesn't cover up the fact that they're bunch of braindead old farts who are dragging the US down by their idiotic religious oriented policies.

The hostility between the two countries are deep but that doesn't mean that the two countries have to stay enemies forever, and don't try to act as if US is a saint and its all Iran's fault.

How can you detect the DNA of an exact species in processed food? doesn't DNA gets disintegrated when it is heated?

OK.. I got the answer to my query...

Malaysia’s Islamic Development Department, known as Jakim, began using DNA tests to certify halal products in 2010. It announced in 2011 that it had detected pig DNA in Heinz’s HP Sauce and Tabasco hot sauce, though both companies disputed the finding. Commercial DNA tests can detect as little as 5 picograms (trillionths of a gram) of porcine DNA.

The supply chain of industrial food products is mind-bogglingly complex, with dozens of ingredients drawn from around the world, which provides many opportunities for unwanted ingredients to contaminate them. But how do traces of pork actually get into a chocolate bar? One possibility is that industrial food packaging sometimes uses lubricants and stabilizers (known as stearates) that are made from animal derivatives, including pigs in some cases.

“Cross contamination can be an issue because the stearate can effectively ‘leak’ into the food,” said Bill Thompson, CEO of the lab testing firm Genetic ID Europe, in an interview with FoodProductionDaily.com in 2012.

For the food industry, halal scandals are bad PR and even worse for the bottom line—the halal food industry is estimated to be worth hundreds of billions of dollars worldwide. Malaysia is seen as the global leader for halal certification, with exports of $9.8 billion last year. Manufacturers should probably get used to having their products put under the microscope—literally.

Last edited:
Malay NGO to sue Cadbury for RM100 million over pig DNA found in chocolates
BY MOHD FARHAN DARWIS
MAY 26, 2014

PC_BY_JMM_ON_CADBURY_260514_TMISHAFIQ_05_540_377_100.jpg

Jaringan Melayu Malaysia president Azwanddin Hamzah (seated right) and a lawyer holds a Cadbury product bearing the 'halal' stamp, during a press conference today. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Shafiq Safiee, May 26, 2014.

A Malay group called Jaringan Melayu Malaysia (JMM) said it plans to sue Cadbury Confectionery Malaysia following reports that two of its products contained traces of pig DNA.

JMM president Azwanddin Hamzah accused Cadbury of misleading Muslims by producing products with porcine DNA. Cadbury's biggest consumer, he said, are from Muslims and Malays.

"This is a malicious lie and has to be contained. Among the Muslims, this is a great insult... such products should not be produced at all," he said at a press conference today.
Tests conducted by the Health Ministry on two chocolate products, Cadbury Dairy Milk Hazelnut, with batch number 200813M01H I2 that expires on November 13, 2014, and Cadbury Dairy Milk Roast Almond, with batch number 221013N01R I1, that expires on January 15, 2015, had found pig DNA in them.

Following this, the Malaysian Islamic Development Department (Jakim) immediately suspended the products' halal certification, while Cadbury said it would recall them from stores.

Azwanddin said he was extremely upset with the incident as he had brought home the affected chocolates and his children have eaten it.

He said JMM would partner with legal aide group Sukaguam to proceed with their legal action against the confectionary giant.

"We have received 700 emails from people stating their support for us to take legal action against Cadbury.

"We also received complaints from more than 50 individuals with receipts and other proof that they have bought the two products that allegedly contained porcine DNA," he said.

He said JMM and Sukaguam are pursuing action under Section 50 of the Consumer Protection Act.

"We want to close down Cadbury if possible," he said.

He said it is not enough for the company to just apologise as such incidents had happened many times.

"They shoved pork in our mouths, and then apologise later. Cadbury has been in Malaysia for years. Why do they still not understand the sensitivities of the Muslim community?

"They have huge labs and yet, they keep giving the same excuses and just apologise. To me and other Muslims, this is not enough," he said.

He also announced a special team to provide free legal service to the Muslim community for compensation purposes.

"There are about 80 Muslim NGO teams waiting to sue Cadbury and seek an estimated RM100 million in damages," he said.

Azwanddin also trained his guns at both Jakim and the health ministry, saying that both entities should apologise for the delay in detecting the pig DNA in the two chocolate products.

He said JMM would submit memorandums to both agencies as a result of this incident.

"There may be some leakages in Jakim, I don't want to make any accusations but I encourage consumers to sue Jakim," he said. – May 26, 2014.

I think Cadbury should declare it on the package if the chocolate contains anything from pork.

I believe that's the issue.

It's one thing to have pig stuff in something but, if something is declared halal/kosher and contains pig stuff, then people would be angry.

Imagine if something was declared vegetarian and then found to contain animal fat.

I believe that's the issue.

It's one thing to have pig stuff in something but, if something is declared halal/kosher and contains pig stuff, then people would be angry.

Imagine if something was declared vegetarian and then found to contain animal fat.

This is true, there is no point arguing about whether it is right/wrong to be sensitive about it, the bottom line is that many people ARE sensitive about it, and so the information should be made widely available.

It should be known that gelatin use is very widespread in food products, including things like ice cream, so one should be aware of that.

This is true, there is no point arguing about whether it is right/wrong to be sensitive about it, the bottom line is that many people ARE sensitive about it, and so the information should be made widely available.

It should be known that gelatin use is very widespread in food products, including things like ice cream, so one should be aware of that.

Gelatin doesn't have to be pork-based.
There is beef-based gelatin and there may even be vegetarian gelatin.

Many products have a "halal", "kosher" or "pareve" symbol on them which is an assurance by the manufacturer that the product conforms to those guidelines.

It doesn't seem like Cadbury, as a company, was up to mischief, but someone screwed up, either as a mistake or a prank.

McDonalds in Australia guarantees that their sausages and burgers are 100% beef (not halal) and there are no pork products in their shakes, ice-creams, etc. They even guarantee which cuts of beef they use (no crap parts).

How the heck pig DNA was mixed with chocolate???

Are those two things far away from each other???

http://rt.com/news/161980-cadbury-jihad-pork-chocolate/Enraged Muslims in Malaysia have called for a holy war or Jihad to be waged on Cadbury after traces of pig DNA were picked up in their chocolates. As a result of the complaint, the company has pulled two of its products from Malaysian shop shelves.

A group of more than 20 Muslim organizations have condemned UK confectionary company Cadbury, saying“it has crossed the line.”

“They have betrayed us Muslims by putting ‘haram’ elements through the foods we consume in our body, to weaken us Muslims,”said Abu Bakar Yahya, chief of Muslim group, Perkasa Selangor, to press at a conference on Tuesday in Kuala Lumpur quoted by Malaymailonline.

Some of the Muslim organizations even called for a Jihad to be declared against Cadbury for its“betrayal.”

The Malaysian Health Ministry confirmed on Tuesday that traces of porcine DNA had been picked up in a routine check for non-halal substances in Cadbury products. According to Islamic law, Muslims cannot consume pork or any products derived from it.

Cadbury’s Malaysia, which is part of the British multinational (owned by Mondelēz International), said that it was pulling two chocolate bars from the shelves in line with the discovery – Cadbury Dairy Milk hazelnut and Cadbury Dairy Milk roast almond.

"Ensuring that all our products made here in Malaysia are halal is something we take very seriously,"it said in a Facebook posting.

Malaysian Health Minister Subramaniam Sathasivam told press that Cadbury was now cooperating with the Ministry and sharing samples to ascertain where the porcine DNA came from.

“We want to know how the product became contaminated with pig DNA. The health ministry will also do additional tests,”said Subramaniam.
000_dv621137.si.jpg

Well I guess Malaysia will not be importing this Japanese poduct then. All the goodness of pig placenta in a bottle.

placenta_pa36.jpg

40% of Malaysian population is Non-Muslim, a big chunk of whom are ethnic Chinese. The Malaysian Chinese love their pork and will not accept any banning of pork or pork based products..

How the heck pig DNA was mixed with chocolate???

Are those two things far away from each other???

The supply chain of industrial food products is mind-bogglingly complex, with dozens of ingredients drawn from around the world, which provides many opportunities for unwanted ingredients to contaminate them. But how do traces of pork actually get into a chocolate bar? One possibility is that industrial food packaging sometimes uses lubricants and stabilizers (known as stearates) that are made from animal derivatives, including pigs in some cases.

“Cross contamination can be an issue because the stearate can effectively ‘leak’ into the food,” said Bill Thompson, CEO of the lab testing firm Genetic ID Europe, in an interview with FoodProductionDaily.com in 2012.

Quick question, is this only a problem with the factory in Malaysia or with other factories in other countries also? Because if it is only related to the factory in Malaysia, then it is not much intentional rather a lapse in regulatory standards.

May 27, 2014

Cadbury chocolates in UAE not contaminated with pork

Cadbury chocolates sold in the UAE are not contaminated with pork DNA, the company has confirmed.

It follows news from Malaysia on Monday that two products, Cadbury Dairy Milk Hazelnut and Cadbury Dairy Milk Roast Almond, had tested positive for trace amounts of the substance.

However, consumers in the UAE are not at risk.

“We understand how important halal is to the Muslim community,” said Mondelez International, Cadbury’s parent company.

“It is also of the highest importance to us here at Mondelez International.”

The Malaysian products in question are not sold in the UAE, the company said.

“We employ stringent quality procedures to ensure that all our products are of the highest standard of safety and quality,” it added.

The company said that it was working with authorities in Malaysia to resolve the issue.

Cadbury chocolates in UAE not contaminated with pork | The National

Back
Top Bottom