What's new

Malaysia to stop using Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine after supply ends: Health minister

Mista

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia's health ministry on Thursday (Jul 15) said the country will stop administering the COVID-19 vaccine produced by China's Sinovac once its supplies end, as it has a sufficient number of other vaccines for its programme.

Malaysia's inoculation drive will be largely anchored by the Pfizer-BioNTech mRNA vaccine moving forward, health minister Adham Baba told a news conference with other top ministry officials.

The Southeast Asian country has secured about 45 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, enough to cover 70 per cent of the population, compared to 16 million doses of Sinovac's shot, the officials said.

"About half of the 16 million have already been distributed, so the rest will be used to cover second doses," Adham said.

"For those who have yet to be vaccinated, they will receive the Pfizer vaccine."

READ: More than 13,000 new COVID-19 cases in Malaysia in 3rd straight day of record numbers

READ: Malaysia government mulls giving 'leeway' to those fully vaccinated against COVID-19: PM Muhyiddin

The government had previously said it had secured 12 million Sinovac doses, as part of a deal which would see state-linked firm Pharmaniaga carrying out a fill-and-finish process on the vaccine for local distribution.

The announcement to stop using Sinovac's inactivated virus vaccine comes amid increasing concern over its efficacy against new and more contagious variants of the coronavirus.

Neighbouring Thailand this week said it would use the AstraZeneca vaccine as a second dose for those who received the Sinovac shot, while Indonesia is considering a booster shot for those who received the two-dose Sinovac course.

READ: Thailand defends COVID-19 vaccine 'mix-and-match' after WHO warning

Other vaccines approved in Malaysia include those of AstraZeneca, China's CanSino Biologic and the Janssen vaccine of Johnson & Johnson.

Malaysia also plans on Friday to announce its decision on whether to add the vaccine of China's Sinopharm, officials said.

With 880,782 cases and 6,613 deaths so far, Malaysia has one of Southeast Asia's highest per-capita infection rates, but also one of its highest inoculation rates, with about 26 per cent of its 32 million population receiving at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Pakistan would need pfizer or modena booster shots but we're waiting on imdad

Misleading report. Indonesia only give second booster using Moderna vaccine for health workers only. Second booster is needed to give more protection to health workers where many of them have already been vaccinated early this year in February.

Hardly surprising when China itself is planning to use western booster doses on its own citizens.

Trolling

Last edited by a moderator:
Misleading report. Indonesia only give second booster using Moderna vaccine for health workers only. Second booster is needed to give more protection to health workers where many of them have already been vaccinated early this year in February.

One whole article talking about Malaysia and you think it's misleading because of half-a-sentence on Indonesia which is not even the main point?

Neighbouring Thailand this week said it would use the AstraZeneca vaccine as a second dose for those who received the Sinovac shot, while Indonesia is considering a booster shot for those who received the two-dose Sinovac course.

One whole article talking about Malaysia and you think it's misleading because of half-a-sentence on Indonesia which is not even the main point?

Yup, misleading report for Indonesian case. This is a big mistake if some one make a news like this. Indonesia is not just a sentence, it is a big example that can increase or decrease the writer main point (Sinovac is not effective). I dont say the article is misleading by saying Malaysia stop using Sinovac, it is of course true, you should be able to differentiate between article and report.

Last edited:
It is indeed misleading because Malaysia Vaccine Minister has explained that they have already ordered enough vaccines for the entire population and they are running out of stock for the Sinovac.

But he has just announced he may need to order more Sinovac vaccines as the AZ supplier in Thailand have just informed him that they may not be able to fulfull their delivery obligation as per contract.

This is how a half truth becomes politicised and turned into a lie.

Last edited:
Hardly surprising when China itself is planning to use western booster doses on its own citizens.

Not on the whole population but only on those selective individuals whose antibodies have failed to reach satisfactory levels.

it is all about science and just a part of their R&D on the effectiveness of of their vaccines against newly mutated variants.

Don't get it wrong and so I am surprise you mentioned that.

Not on the whole population but only on those selective individuals whose antibodies have failed to reach satisfactory levels.

it is all about science and just a part of their R&D on the effectiveness of of their vaccines against newly mutated variants.

Don't get it wrong and so I am surprise you mentioned that.
You do realize antibody testing is useless if not highly focused ?
2ndly i have first hand reports from dubai of negligible antibody production in people who received the Chinese vaccines.
And 3rdly most importantly, the Chinese vaccines are not recognized for travel to any western country. People dont want to be barred from official or tourist travel because they took the wrong type of vaccine.

You do realize antibody testing is useless if not highly focused ?
2ndly i have first hand reports from dubai of negligible antibody production in people who received the Chinese vaccines.
And 3rdly most importantly, the Chinese vaccines are not recognized for travel to any western country. People dont want to be barred from official or tourist travel because they took the wrong type of vaccine.
:-):-):-)

It is just a matter of opinion and mainly politics more than science.

What if I tell you that studies have shown both Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines scored higher than both Pfizer and AZ in its efficacy against the Delta Virus.

I am not citing them as
1. I believe all vaccines are effective in prevention of hospitalization and so they will achieved the greater human good objective.

2. I am not a virologist nor an agent for any vaccines and I do not need to promote any one if them. But I will not simply accept public opinion like an ignorant as a Chinese Wise saying goes.

3. To me vaccines is science and they need time to be fully tested and studied. Hence there are many missing info e.g. long term side effects, etc in fast-track innovative vaccines and so I choose the safest which a traditional vaccine.

4. Booster shot is encouraged as it has shown to increase one antibody by 100~200X (Sinopharm) after that. Six months after the 2nd dose, the antibody inside one body starts to decline to less than 60%. This applied to all the vaccines and hence Pfizer strongly recommended the third booster shot for USA but was turned down. Now cases are on the rise in both USA, UK, etc

5. Instead of trying to learn science from MSM and ended up with biased political opinions why don't you tried reading Medical Journal like Lancets for instances. :coffee:

Well, all the current vaccines available right now, whatever the brand, will be absolute in one or two years from now.

One or two years later, we will have a special privilege to mock and blame all the current vaccines.

We just need to take a side.

Whatever we said at the time against other vaccines will be true, the same as what others said as well.

Sinovac and Sinopharm, especially Sinopharm are not as bad as what Western propaganda said.

Countries like Hungary, Chile, Serbia, Bahrain, etc saw a significant drop in daily new infections.

And AZ, Pfizer, and Moderna are not as good as they claimed, as we can see from the rise in UK, Netherland, Spain, USA, etc. I do believe, countries who want to switch to those brands, are thinking twice right now.

But still, I can't say much, we never know in the near future, what is good today will be useless tomorrow, whatever China-made or Western-made, only time will tell.

At least with vaccines, it gives a much higher chance to survive.

Sputnik V sounds very promising right now. I think the newer vaccine is more effective than the first-generation vaccines.

UK health minister Sajid Javid tests positive for COVID-19
Sajid Javid tests positive for COVID-19 as the government prepares to lift most pandemic restrictions in England.

Britain's new Health Secretary Sajid Javid has been in the job since late June [File: Henry Nicholls/Reuters]'s new Health Secretary Sajid Javid has been in the job since late June [File: Henry Nicholls/Reuters]
Britain's new Health Secretary Sajid Javid has been in the job since late June [File: Henry Nicholls/Reuters]
17 Jul 2021

British health minister Sajid Javid has said he tested positive for COVID-19, but that his symptoms were mild and he had had two doses of vaccine against the disease.
Javid, who has been health secretary for three weeks, has backed Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s plan to fully reopen England’s economy and scrap legal coronavirus restrictions from Monday.

"I was feeling a bit groggy last night, so I took a lateral flow test this morning and it’s come out positive,” he said in a video message on Twitter on Saturday.

“So I’m now self-isolating at home with my family until I get the result of a PCR test. I’m grateful that I’ve had two jabs of the vaccine. And so far, my symptoms are very mild.”

Javid tweeted on March 17 that he had received the first shot of Oxford-AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine, posting a picture of him getting a second dose on May 16.

Under his government’s rules, Javid is now required to self-isolate for 10 days unless the PCR test comes back negative and he no longer has symptoms.

Any of his “close contacts” – potentially including others in the government – would have to self-isolate too if they receive instructions from the state-run National Health Service (NHS).

Javid has only been in the job since June 26, when former health secretary Matt Hancock resigned following revelations he had broken coronavirus restrictions during an affair with a close aide.

Javid said any member of the public feeling symptoms should get a test, too.

“If everyone plays their part, you’re not only protecting yourself and your loved ones, but you’re also safeguarding the NHS and helping to preserve our way of life,” he said.

However, with coronavirus cases again surging, many scientists say the government is endangering the NHS with its plan on Monday to scrap most legal pandemic requirements in the UK.

For the first time since mid-January, Britain’s daily COVID caseload exceeded 50,000 on Friday, and Javid has warned the figure could double from that in the coming weeks.

But the government insists that with two-thirds of the adult population now fully vaccinated, the risk can be managed, and Monday has been dubbed “freedom day” by many UK media.

AZ is really bad if he is not even tired working non stop to get the virus.

The inactive vaccines are good enough to cut down severe cases by a large drop. The good news is that the method is more well understood so having 3 doses per year is OK while the other vaccines using gene therapy is unknown so only 2 shots are approve for now.

Back
Top Bottom