What's new

Major Changes Ahead on JF-17 Block-3

Hi

Should we expect retractable IFR probe for block 3?

Just to reduce the RCS and avoid any hindrance in sight?

No its going to be a fixed bolt on one. Removable on the ground, to be installed when needed according to mission.

JF-17 Thunder is a such a success story worth appreciation. It is such a delight that PAF is already working on block-3 and these upgrades it will be truly a 4.5+ generation aircraft produced by Pakistan which can be exported, upgraded and produced as we want.
Jf 17 thunder block 3 might not be 4.5+ Gen but capability gaps will be covered by advance weapons from China and South Africa....especially the a-darter missile...

That is in those stages for about 10 years now.

My guess is China is funneling tech through Pakistan A-Darter and PL-10 look remarkably similar.

PAF will probably acquire PL-10 once it enters production. Makes sense why PAF didnt acquire PL-9 for F-7PGs and JF-17, sticking to PL-5E till the 5th gen PL-10 becomes available.

26685fc.jpg

2l-image.jpg

Chinese%2BPL-10%2Bfifth%2Bgeneration%2Bimaging%2Binfrared%2B%2528IIR%2529%2Bguided%2Bshort%2Brange%2Bair%2Bto%2Bair%2Bmissile%2B90%25C2%25B0%2Boff-boresight%2Bangle%252C%2Block-on-before%2Blaunch%2B%2528LOBL%2529%2Block-on-after%2Blaunch%2B%2528LOAL%2529%2B%2BPAF%2BPLAAF%2BJF-17%2BJ-20J-21%2B31%2B%25282%2529.jpg

j-20e688b0e6a99fe799bce5b084pl-10e5b08ee5bd88e8b68ae882a9e694bbe6938ae7a4bae6848fe59c96.jpg

The issue with A-darter vs PL-10 is more than just which has better specs. One should not preclude the other. The major issue for Pakistan is diversification of suppliers and for its own use but also for foreign sales. If PAF can match western electronics with A-darter and Marlin LRAAM, then you have a potentially attractive option for mid-tier countries like in the Gulf/Jordan or South American and Nigeria.
This is a key point. It may not matter much to the PAF specifically because China has a vested interest in wanting Pakistan to be a problem for India, but in terms of export, it can be a problem (as stated by @MastanKhan).

We might be able to get a good AESA radar and ECM/EW kit from China for JF-17 Block-III, but that not be available for export, especially to the likes of Morocco, which is close to the West. In this case, we'd need to talk to Finmeccanica, Denel Dynamics, Aselsan, BAE Systems, etc. Who knows, in some very specific cases (as evidenced by the adoption of an Indra RWR and possibly full ECM kit), we could get a really capable specific good from the West for ourselves.

While South African programs generally suffer from being half-baked (lack of funding and urgency), the A-Darter is complete and it is ready (as is the Umbani in its laser and INS/GPS format). In fact, UAE might have footed the bill for the IIR version of Umbani given that Tawazun Dynamics is marketing it too.

Jf 17 thunder block 3 might not be 4.5+ Gen but capability gaps will be covered by advance weapons from China and South Africa....especially the a-darter missile...
This is a key point. It may not matter much to the PAF specifically because China has a vested interest in wanting Pakistan to be a problem for India, but in terms of export, it can be a problem (as stated by @MastanKhan).

We might be able to get a good AESA radar and ECM/EW kit from China for JF-17 Block-III, but that not be available for export, especially to the likes of Morocco, which is close to the West. In this case, we'd need to talk to Finmeccanica, Denel Dynamics, Aselsan, BAE Systems, etc. Who knows, in some very specific cases (as evidenced by the adoption of an Indra RWR and possibly full ECM kit), we could get a really capable specific good from the West for ourselves.

While South African programs generally suffer from being half-baked (lack of funding and urgency), the A-Darter is complete and it is ready (as is the Umbani in its laser and INS/GPS format). In fact, UAE might have footed the bill for the IIR version of Umbani given that Tawazun Dynamics is marketing it too.

Hi,

it would also depend on Morocco as well---what they want to do.

Step one----does the JF17 meet their needs----.

For weapons---do they want a free choice of weapons

Then are they willing to have pakistan keeping an oversight on the aircraft---thus freeing morroco for allt he chinese options----.

The ball is going to be in morroco's court.

Last edited:
No.They just started and they are very slow and for this speed i hate them.
Dear i wont go into details but just to let you know, again, the program for a AAM have been running for almost a decade and there is NOTHING coming out of it so far. You may stick to whatever you believe to be true, what i am telling is based on personal information. :)

My guess is China is funneling tech through Pakistan A-Darter and PL-10 look remarkably similar.

PAF will probably acquire PL-10 once it enters production. Makes sense why PAF didnt acquire PL-9 for F-7PGs and JF-17, sticking to PL-5E till the 5th gen PL-10 becomes available.

26685fc.jpg

2l-image.jpg

Chinese%2BPL-10%2Bfifth%2Bgeneration%2Bimaging%2Binfrared%2B%2528IIR%2529%2Bguided%2Bshort%2Brange%2Bair%2Bto%2Bair%2Bmissile%2B90%25C2%25B0%2Boff-boresight%2Bangle%252C%2Block-on-before%2Blaunch%2B%2528LOBL%2529%2Block-on-after%2Blaunch%2B%2528LOAL%2529%2B%2BPAF%2BPLAAF%2BJF-17%2BJ-20J-21%2B31%2B%25282%2529.jpg

j-20e688b0e6a99fe799bce5b084pl-10e5b08ee5bd88e8b68ae882a9e694bbe6938ae7a4bae6848fe59c96.jpg
PL10 will be a massive gain for the PAF. incorporating most of the modern AAM capabilities and equipped with excellent multi mode seekers, this will be a real threat to enemy aircraft. The range is also pretty decent (much better then A Darter)

As for comparison between these two, while i do feel the do LOOK pretty similar, there are quite a few differences in technical details. Non-the-less, a A Darter connection to the PL 10 cannot be complete rules out.

What is current development status of PL-10? Last year, IHS Janes revealed that it had been tested some 30 times since 2013 when it completed its development and entered into testing phase. I am carious if that has been completed.

Dear i wont go into details but just to let you know, again, the program for a AAM have been running for almost a decade and there is NOTHING coming out of it so far. You may stick to whatever you believe to be true, what i am telling is based on personal information. :)
Very Very Slow progress:angry:

Very Very Slow progress:angry:
If you insist on calling it "progress"
Lets face it, we are not a lot good at complex guidance systems and counter counter measures these missiles require and thus all these problems. The right way forward will be a JV. South Africa will be a good options and the Chinese are always there. Start from that and then build on it! Little steps in this directions will eventually help us in AAM as well as SAMs department but mere talking wont do much good, need to start acting on this, starting yesterday!

Yes you are right. But said last time pak is working on a2a about a decade can u tell me which org was working,

Back
Top Bottom