What's new

Maiden test of Agni-II Plus failed

Got the news yesterday night. Any news of the test so far? The weather condition seems very bad.

Its not an upgraded version. Its completely new missile.

Hmmm, exactly what I was thinking. Maybe its a land based K series missile.

the weather is not really good here..the sky is still very cloudy.it rained last night.
the morning local times of india publication says that it may be canceled.

sorry of the bitter news..:undecided:
Whats the use of such a missile which cant launch in all weather conditions.Tell me once you get nuked will you wait for clear blue sunny sky to launch your missile in reply??

Whats the use of such a missile which cant launch in all weather conditions.Tell me once you get nuked will you wait for clear blue sunny sky to launch your missile in reply??

Oh lady i never thought u had a funny side too, nice one there. Well i was literally chuckling off in office. Good one. :rofl:

To all Indian Members kindly ignore the above post, please take it as funny and avoid trashing of this thread in to troll fest. Please heed this advice.

Last edited:
Hmmm, exactly what I was thinking. Maybe its a land based K series missile.

Very much possible. Reliable reporters had got some more details....

India Set To Launch Agni-II Plus Missile

Nov 30, 2010

By Anantha Krishnan M.

BENGALURU, India — India is preparing for the first launch of an upgraded version of the Agni-II missile.

Known as the Agni-II Plus, Agni-II Prime or A2, this nuclear-capable missile was developed by India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO).

The surface-to-surface missile can hit targets at ranges between 2,500 km. and 3,000 km. (1,550-1,860 mi.), bridging the gap between the 2,500-km.-range Agni-II and 3,000-km.-range Agni-III missile.

It is currently scheduled for a December launch, and top scientists from DRDO’s missile complex in Hyderabad already have started preparations at Wheeler Island, off the Orissa Coast.

Sources tell AVIATION WEEK that the Agni-II Prime will be an improvement in terms of accuracy, distance and strength. “The launch preparations are on,” an official says. “This is part of DRDO’s extended campaign in December as we have scheduled some more launches.”

The A2 will be most likely test-fired for the first time on Dec. 8. “The dates might [slip], but the launch is [certainly] soon,” the official says.

In addition to the ability to carry extra fuel, the A2 will have a new motor in its re-entry vehicle for better maneuverability and increased range, a flex nozzle in the second stage to avoid anti-ballistic missile defenses and an improved navigation system.

The makers of the A2 at DRDO’s Advanced System Laboratory (ASL) in Hyderabad refuse to give any details of the missile launch. The A2’s launch follows a Nov. 25 Agni-1 test-firing by India’s Strategic Forces Command as part of user trials.

In an interview for AVIATION WEEK’s India Thought Leaders series, ASL Director Avinash Chander says that India’s aim is not to create mass nuclear weapons, but to create deterrence. “We must be adequate enough to survive the first strike and we must be ready with an adequate response,” Avinash says.

With the stage set for the A2 launch, all eyes are on Tessy Thomas, DRDO’s project director and India’s first woman scientist to head a missile program. She was appointed to lead A2 in May 2008, having previously served on the Agni-III project as an associate director.

The A2 program also is significant for DRDO as the majority of scientists working on this mission are relatively young. “This is the DRDO of tomorrow and we are not hesitant to hand over national programs to people who can deliver,” an official says. “A2’s success is sure to write a new chapter in India’s missile program.” :smokin:

Just ignore the "disguised troll"

I wonder if they do delay the test, how long it'll take.

and @AMCA I'm not sure if its MIRV capable, I'm looking into it right now.

With the stage set for the A2 launch, all eyes are on Tessy Thomas, DRDO’s project director and India’s first woman scientist to head a missile program. She was appointed to lead A2 in May 2008, having previously served on the Agni-III project as an associate director.

Basically Tessy Thomas works on Agni Programs. So I guess we will have to wait for the missile test. I want to see the structure of the missile, Agni missiles have a very distinctive body, if A2 is anything different then its an easy guess that its a K series missile.

Basically Tessy Thomas works on Agni Programs. So I guess we will have to wait for the missile test. I want to see the structure of the missile, Agni missiles have a very distinctive body, if A2 is anything different then its an easy guess that its a K series missile.

Yeah, we better wait for the test.

Actually Agni series are based on two platforms....

Early platform: Agni-II, Agni-I.
New plat form: Agni-III, Agni-III+ and further version of Agni-III.

Early platforms were of small diameter and new platforms have larger diameter.

Yeah, we better wait for the test.

Actually Agni series are based on two platforms....

Early platform: Agni-II, Agni-I.
New plat form: Agni-III, Agni-III+ and further version of Agni-III.

Early platforms were of small diameter and new platforms have larger diameter.

But bro i thought it was the reverse?? Usually the earlier models are huge and bulky and get lighter and sophisticated over the time. That is the main difference between Agni and K series right. Correct if i am wrong.

indushek said:
Usually the earlier models are huge and bulky and get lighter and sophisticated over the time. That is the main difference between Agni and K series right. Correct if i am wrong.

I think the Agni II+ is actually the land based K-series. (remember the guy saying completely new missile :azn:)

But bro i thought it was the reverse?? Usually the earlier models are huge and bulky and get lighter and sophisticated over the time. That is the main difference between Agni and K series right. Correct if i am wrong.

agni+series.jpg

To test all weather condition the test is planned in dec. Still it is in testing phase engineers have to work during harsh weather. So there is clear difference all weather missile & all weather engineers.

Back
Top Bottom