What's new

Maharaja Ranjit Singh, the conqueror of Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panjabi Tiger

New Recruit

Reaction score
Ranjit Singh was born in Gujranwala, now in modern-day Pakistan.

He conquered :

Punjab region till Multan in south
Punjab, India
Punjab, Pakistan
Ganganagar, India
Haryana, India. Including Chandigarh.
Himachal Pradesh, India
Kashmir, conquered in 1818, India/Pakistan/China
Jammu, India
Gilgit, Northern Areas, Pakistan (Occupied from 1842 to 1846)
Khyber Pass, Afghanistan/Pakistan
Peshawar, Pakistan (taken in 1818, retaken in 1834)
North-West Frontier Province and FATA, Pakistan (documented from Hazara (taken in 1818–22)[55] to Bannu)
Parts of Western Tibet (1841), China

without maharaja ranjeet singh panjab history is totally uncompleate.he was real brave honest and very kind person .its so sad many of pakistani panjab ppl don't know him.i read two very very historical books on panjab history .there is 400 pages of his life story writen in 1870 in panjabi i read and it was great great experiance to know him. i beleve he was very very kind its unbeleve able when our muslim kings give to there enemyes and crimnals very very turture and punishments like remove the eyes cut beheed them but ranjeet singh never ever do like this in his rule. many times he knock the door of a poor former he eat wih him saag and lassi and when he leave his house he told him i am your maharaja.waoooooooooo.some one read history of panjab he will got what kind of great man maharaja ranjeet singh was.its too sad after he dai maharani jindaan and his brother make mess with khalsa and sardars of other mishals."

i read too much on him and he was real brave kind and very well ruler

maharajaranjitsingh1.gif

@ Abingdonboy

Don't wanna believe me...look for yourself

"On 7 July 1799, the Sikh militia of the Sukerchakia chief, Ranjit Singh, took control of Lahore.[3] After the capture of the city, the Badshahi Mosque was severely damaged when Ranjit Singh used its vast courtyard as a stable for his army's horses and its 80 hujras (small study rooms surrounding the courtyard) as quarters for his soldiers and as magazines for military stores. Ranjit Singh used the Hazuri Bagh, the enclosed garden next to the Mosque as his official royal court of audience.[4]
In 1841, during the Sikh civil war, Ranjit Singh's son, Sher Singh, used the Mosque's large minarets for placement of zamburahs or light guns, which were placed atop the minarets to bombard the supporters of the Sikh Maharani Chand Kaur taking refuge in the besieged Lahore Fort, inflicting great damage to the Fort itself. In one of these bombardments, the Fort's Diwan-e-Aam (Hall of Public Audience) was destroyed (it was subsequently rebuilt by the British but never regained its original architectural splendour).[5] During this time, Henri De la Rouche, a French cavalry officer employed in the army of Sher Singh,[6] used a tunnel connecting the Badshahi Mosque to the Lahore Fort to temporarily store gunpowder.[7]"

Badshahi Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Badshahi Mosque was damaged and misused during the reign of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, the Sikh Ruler of the Punjab. The four domes on top of its four minarets were used by the Sikhs for cannon practice and destroyed. The Mosque was converted into a stable for the horses of Ranjit Singh’s army and also used as a gun powder magazine for military stores."

Badshahi Mosque Lahore

Might be a generous king..but he is famous for using Badshahi Mosque as a stable for his horses !!!

ok bhai jaan....aapki baat sahi......all his good deeds and act of wisdom were vaporised because his men kept some horses (animal kaffir...lol) in a mosque
to me its much better to keep horses in places of worship rather than removing eyes from their sockets.
hope u get y so many facepalms for u

It is nice to see Pak posters having a kind opinion of Ranjit Singh.

After Emperor Ashok, he was the only Indian ruler who carried the sword outside the borders of the Sub Continent.

The British were mortally scared of him and ensured that the dynasty died with him by sending to exile his son dalip singh

For those who are keen to read books called " Empires of the Indus" by Alice Albinia and ' The Exile' by Navtej Sarna , a former Indian Diplomat and " Soldier sahibs" by Charles Allen are recommended.

people give Ranjit Singh too much credit. No doubt he was one fine ruler, but what made him exemplary was Nihang Phula Singh. He was one man Maharaja Ranjit Singh both feared and respected.
If it wasn't for Ranjit Singh's lust, Kashmir would've not been a disputed state!

It is nice to see Pak posters having a kind opinion of Ranjit Singh.

After Emperor Ashok, he was the only Indian ruler who carried the sword outside the borders of the Sub Continent.
The British were mortally scared of him and ensured that the dynasty died with him by sending to exile his son dalip singh

For those who are keen to read books called " Empires of the Indus" by Alice Albinia and ' The Exile' by Navtej Sarna , a former Indian Diplomat and " Soldier sahibs" by Charles Allen are recommended.

For the highlighted portion, how come Indians forget about the great Chola empire and Rajendra Chola who went upto Indonesia defeating the famous Srivijaya kingdom and sacking the capital and capturing the king?

Rajendra Chola I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the highlighted portion, how come Indians forget about the great Chola empire and Rajendra Chola who went upto Indonesia defeating the famous Srivijaya kingdom and sacking the capital and capturing the king?

I stand partially corrected.

I wasnt aware of what you brought out.

However , the areas of SE asia including Indonesia were under Chola Influence not direct rule like Ashoka & Ranjit Singh. Maybe because of non geographical contiguity.

Sadly they dont read about that in the history books, specially the CBSE/NCERT ones. pages are not enough to glorify the mughals and the delhi sultanates. How come native kings like Raja raja and Rajendra will be mentioned ?

*facepalm*

However , the areas of SE asia including Indonesia were under Chola Influence not direct rule like Ashoka & Ranjit Singh. Maybe because of non geographical contiguity.

Actually it was. The Chola Navy played a crucial role in maintaining the hold over those kingdoms and the King's representative held suzerainity over the local kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom