What's new

Made in India Vehicles

oh? sorry you feel that way.....not sure how pointing something out can be seen as ''hating''

didnt mean to trigger sensitivities

Absolutely..When you can't make anything, its not prudent to belittle someone else. I have you know that India exports a lot of cars for global markets. Toyota, Hyundai, not to mention other Indian companies all export their cars from India

Absolutely..When you can't make anything its prudent to belittle someone else.

there's a lot of ''things'' we make (and export)......cars are not one of them however. Those companies that do give licenses for domestic ASSEMBLY are purely for domestic consumption.

my only point was that when companies give you licenses (or joint ventures are formed between auto manufacturers and local subsidiaries) to assemble cars --they are doing exactly that. You are not the manufacturer. The car is made in hindustan, the parts, the tool & die, the specific quality assurance measures and tools (e.g. noise detection systems and other crucial things); majority (if not all) of the robots on the production lines --those are all foreign.

so if you want to adhere to the topic at hand, focus on your Marindras, Tatas, and hindustans. Dont come here and then try to convince me that a Pajero chassis designed 20 years ago by Mitsubishi of Japan is now ''made in india'' because that's retarded.

I have you know that India exports a lot of cars for global markets. Toyota, Hyundai, not to mention other Indian companies all export their cars from India

what's your point? Ford motor company has a joint venture with Koc Holdings group in Turkiye --- they assemble commercial vehicles like the Transit Connect and Cargo. Does that make them Turkish vehicles? No. It doesnt.

not to say that it isnt beneficial or that it doesnt create local jobs....it's commendable! But it's just not ''indian'' or ''made in india''

as the topic here is ''made in india'' then perhaps you should be responsible and not try to mislead people with false information.

22651d1309788285-new-tata-indica-vista-facelift-around-corner-5f8bb27dc1ede87de8900b9ed3f56225_555x416_1.jpg

22652d1309788285-new-tata-indica-vista-facelift-around-corner-759015fe7202aa25f4c5e72e7ca64386_555x416_1.jpg

25035d1312802991t-new-tata-indica-vista-facelift-around-corner-dsc00578.jpg

25425d1313073718t-new-tata-indica-vista-facelift-around-corner-photo0069.jpg

25423d1313073678t-new-tata-indica-vista-facelift-around-corner-scan0009.jpg

New Tata Indica Vista

22896-mahindra-s-new-world-suv-w201-spy-pics-pg-3-undisguised_mahindra_w201.jpg

Mahindra's new SUV

Last edited by a moderator:
2_39.jpg

12831d1289035938-force-one-140-bhp-suv-launch-august-3_29.jpg

Pune based Force Motors is developing an all-new SUV that's aimed at mainstream car buyers

mahindra-xylo-1.jpg

087.jpg

mahindra-xylo-customized.jpg

Mahindra Xylo MUV

in India, do most foreign auto multinationals just "assemble" CKD/Semi assembled automobiles? I thought these companies have suppliers from local automobile and allied companies and the Indian suppliers are now part of the localization/export market of many of these brands.
I believe, except for expensive CBUs, other cars are manufactured here. Local Companies gain know-how, which is imho much more important achievement.

Yeah sorry. Just looking at the official Mitsibushi website now. My mistake.

...Wikipedia

Thats alright, now you can delete your posts, senior member and what not:lol:.

The new Pajeros are sold as Montero in India if am not wrong.

chennai2011xm7.jpg

there's a lot of ''things'' we make (and export)......cars are not one of them however. Those companies that do give licenses for domestic ASSEMBLY are purely for domestic consumption.

my only point was that when companies give you licenses (or joint ventures are formed between auto manufacturers and local subsidiaries) to assemble cars --they are doing exactly that. You are not the manufacturer. The car is made in hindustan, the parts, the tool & die, the specific quality assurance measures and tools (e.g. noise detection systems and other crucial things); majority (if not all) of the robots on the production lines --those are all foreign.

so if you want to adhere to the topic at hand, focus on your Marindras, Tatas, and hindustans. Dont come here and then try to convince me that a Pajero chassis designed 20 years ago by Mitsubishi of Japan is now ''made in india'' because that's retarded.

what's your point? Ford motor company has a joint venture with Koc Holdings group in Turkiye --- they assemble commercial vehicles like the Transit Connect and Cargo. Does that make them Turkish vehicles? No. It doesnt.

not to say that it isnt beneficial or that it doesnt create local jobs....it's commendable! But it's just not ''indian'' or ''made in india''

as the topic here is ''made in india'' then perhaps you should be responsible and not try to mislead people with false information.

^^^^^^^

:usflag:

Indeed! Let's not miss the wood for the trees ;)

May I share a chat I had with a British fellow one time re: above 'Made In ...' or 'Assembled' issue.

He simply did'nt care. For eg. Canada makes a hell of a lot of vehicles :)
There is a huge auto industry in southern Ontario specially bordering Michigan's Detroit region. This is fact as of r8 now and has been fact for some 100 yrs.

What it boils down to then is : Brands :argh:
Now we are talking ... hehe ... Intellectual Property (IP).

C'mon now, are brands and IP that critical for emerging economies?
Do ppl. think of sugar, coal, gas and salt as brands or ... I personally know that Pak has a decent size auto-parts after-market export industry.

In the emerging economy context, I'm sure there is more to buying a vehicle than branding, even in 1'st world brands are not decisive. Ppl. still decide on price, color, stock, a range of brands, reputation ... but price is a huge deal. Even today, anywhere.

Answer: Local brands, in emerging markets context, are hardly a good measure to judge an entire industry. For Eg. Thailand, Turkey, Brazil have huge vehicles industry, but I don't know of any Thai brands. It's good to have both the industry and local brands; however, emerging economies might as well develop a locally made (assembly is a good first step) even if 'foreign branded' auto industry, whynot ?

Mercedes Benz has uber cleverly created a specific India brand recently after sinking 1000's crores ($ Billions) in India over 20 yrs. or more. It's called 'Bharat Benz'. Why? To appease to the nationalistic sentiments of Indians while ... hehe ... NOT FURTHER DILUTING it's Mercedes moniker.

Turkey has a reasonable auto industry where the car market is dominated by foreign brands made in Turkey. So does Brazil. Same - same Malaysia, Russia and specially China. Same - same -same India ;) All the above have some local players as well.

India and China a few more than the others.

Clear as mud :cheesy: ?

---xxx---

This just in :

• " Tata Motors is investing around £1.5 billion on JLR annually over the next few years on new products, sustainable technology and fresh capacity. Around Rs 3,000-3,500 crore more is being invested in its domestic arm every year as capex." -Businessline
Hell that's a lot of money:agree:.

Thats alright, now you can delete your posts, senior member and what not:lol:.

The new Pajeros are sold as Montero in India if am not wrong.

I like the '07 sports version the best. These newer models just keep getting uglier if you ask me. :sick:

I like the '07 sports version the best. These newer models just keep getting uglier if you ask me. :sick:

Never really liked Mitsubishis.

Here's a fun fact, Pajero means "wank*r" in Spanish, so they had to rename the car to Montero for Spanish speaking markets.:rofl:

even Iran did the same thing (Samand) as did the Egyptians (Nasr).....in the formers case, assistance was provided by French marques though essentially they are Iranian manufactured and ''branded'' cars.....in latter case, they were ''localized'' and re-named. Local companies came and said ''hey, we can design OEM parts for that car at fraction of the cost''

everything else -- cant argue with that

as for the Pajero --i'm surprised that in india it is called ''Montero'' whereas in most (if not all) of Europe and Asia it is the ''Pajero''

as far as i know, it was only in American markets where it was known as the ''Montero''

nevertheless, it's a great vehicle in my opinion --easily can be called a direct competitor to others in its segment, namely the Land Cruisers & the Patrol.

as for the Pajero --i'm surprised that in india it is called ''Montero'' whereas in most (if not all) of Europe and Asia it is the ''Pajero''

as far as i know, it was only in American markets where it was known as the ''Montero''
nevertheless, it's a great vehicle in my opinion --easily can be called a direct competitor to others in its segment, namely the Land Cruisers & the Patrol.

They were still selling quite a few older Pajeros, so instead of killing off the older model, they just launched the newer model with a different name.

Back
Top Bottom