What's new

Made in India Vehicles

Anyone seen this shit? It's Chinese I believe. $450.00 USD on Alibaba and marketed as "cheap Bajaj". It's electric too. Wouldn't mind trying out this bad boy, wonder what the battery life is like.

cheap-bajaj-three-wheeler-auto-rickshaw-price.jpg

^^
Not made in India I know but Rickshaws are an essential part of Indian traffic flow atm and I wonder if a re-gen braking/solar panel on roof type electric brushless motor Rickshaw might be just the thing as they are inherently limited in speed which makes them suitable for urban use. Not sure about pulling power though.

Instant torque however...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAJAJ V15
bajaj-v15-vikrant-15-ocean-blue-colour-2.jpg

I'd like to import this. Looks like a sweet deal! Coming in at ~€850.00 without the paperwork.

@patentneer @Water Car Engineer

Last edited:
Anyone seen this shit? It's Chinese I believe. $450.00 USD on Alibaba and marketed as "cheap Bajaj". It's electric too. Wouldn't mind trying out this bad boy, wonder what the battery life is like.

^^
Not made in India I know but Rickshaws are an essential part of Indian traffic flow atm and I wonder if a re-gen braking/solar panel on roof type electric brushless motor Rickshaw might be just the thing as they are inherently limited in speed which makes them suitable for urban use. Not sure about pulling power though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAJAJ V15
bajaj-v15-vikrant-15-ocean-blue-colour-2.jpg

I'd like to import this. Looks like a sweet deal! Coming in at ~€850.00 without the paperwork.

@patentneer @Water Car Engineer
They're already used in Delhi.

There are also some with solar panel on top.

India Auto Industry
  • India automotive sales to exceed the US marketby mid 2030's

• The Indian automobile market is tipped to become the third largest in the world by 2020 according to estimates by Ernst & Young
  • While many of the global OEMs are increasing their designing focus in the Indian market, most of the new launches in the Indian market are global successful mode
  • Automobile sector has been opened up for FDI long back. Daimler BMW etc are all 100% subsidiary of their parent companies with no local partners
  • The global automotive game will be pretty much decided by twin forces for China and India. India automotive industry is going through the transformation phase. Political stability, new regulations, increasing competition and rising consumer expectations will shape the way auto manufacturers or suppliers do their business in India
  • The long-term outlook remains positive for strong fundamental reasons such as high GDP growth, adequate financing availability, higher per capita GDP, decreasing unemployment, increasing disposable incomes, favorable demographics, and rising consumer expectations
  • The new government’s efforts to implement a GST, build smart cities, and revive key sectors such as mining and infrastructure should boost job creation. Other key factors for substantial growth are higher spending on infrastructure and the government’s focus on rural areas
  • The engineering R&D services market is expected to be on a roll with increasing interest by the global companies to set up their captive R&D centre in the country
^^
India can beat China to become the world's small vehicles factory!

Sharing an old article since this vehicle isn't discussed anymore.

Rajiv Bajaj’s ‘Mad in India’ jibe: The not so ‘Qute’ journey of his quadricycle ‘car’
What went wrong with the Bajaj Qute quadricycle and why can't it ply on Indian roads despite being exported? We explain.
fe-amp-img.jpg
Bajaj criticised the demonetisation move and said that it wasn't the execution only to blame but the idea itself was wrong.

At the Annual Nasscom Leadership Forum, Bajaj criticised the demonetisation move and said that it wasn’t the execution only to blame but the idea itself was wrong. “If the solution or the idea is right, it will go like a hot knife through butter. If the idea is not working, for example, demonetisation, don’t blame execution. I think your idea itself is wrong”, he said. He also fired a salvo at the Make In India policy by saying “If your innovation in the country depends on government approval or judicial process, it will not be a case of ‘Made in India’, but ‘Mad in India’. After five years, we are still waiting for permission to sell our four-wheeler in the country.”

What Bajaj was referring to is the Qute, which has been a pain point for the company since the last few years. In order to understand what the pain is about, one needs to understand what the Qute is actually. Many might recall that long time back Renault had announced to launch a micro car that would be manufactured in collaboration with Bajaj Auto. The project known as the Ultra Low-Cost Car Project resulted in a vehicle known as the RE60, which for various reasons never reached its intended stage and subsequently Renault too pulled out of the project. The most common reason that floated around was that Renault did not like the end result in the form of RE60. After all, the Nano had failed to sell so it made little business sense to launch a smaller and cheaper car as it was clear by then that Indians do not like things that relate to the word ‘cheap’.

That left Bajaj with the RE60 for itself and it had to figure out a way to do something with it. Thereafter, came the talk of the RE60 being classified as a ‘Quadricycle’, which the Supreme Court refused to on the back of safety concerns and petitions filed by the Automotive Engineers Association and the Auto-rickshaw Drivers Association. Since then, Bajaj has been constantly trying to get the policy changed, which essentially means the policy is being pushed to change for one company that is trying to sell a product for a purpose it was never originally conceived for. However, is the Qute really a good vehicle for our roads?

Safety and Policy Concerns

At the Nasscom event, Bajaj also said that “This is the only country that has not given us permission to sell this vehicle. Because, for some reason, it thinks if four-wheeler is worse, let people continue on three-wheeler”, making a point that the Qute is being sold already in countries across Asia, Europe and South America.

While Bajaj was right in pointing out that the Qute is being sold in other countries, one must consider that India is now rapidly upping its pace in terms of improving its safety and emission regulations. Amid such a progress rate, out focus should be on making leaps of progress. The Qute is claimed to be a better solution than autorickshaws as it’s safer and efficient and is more comfortable and also has four doors. While the Qute might certainly be safer than an auto rickshaw and a good option for last mile connectivity, it isn’t exactly a safe vehicle. In April, 2016, the Qute received a dismal 1-star crash rating from Euro NCAP. Bajaj, however, rejoiced this rating and stated that the result is better than the zero star rating of some Indian cars such as the Volkswagen Polo, Ford Figo, Maruti Suzuki Alto, Hyundai i10 and Tata Nano. What wasn’t told was that quadricycles and cars are tested on different parameters and hence cannot be compared.

Euro NCAP too criticised quadricycles in an official statement “It is disappointing to see that quadricycles are still lacking the basic safety features that are common in small cars,” said Michiel van Ratingen, secretary general of the Euro NCAP.

Watch the Video fo the Bajaj Qute

That said, the claims about the Qute’s fuel-efficiency and low emissions cannot be challenged as it weighs under 500 kg and is powered by a 200 cc engine that also powers the Pulsar motorcycles in a different state of tune. With a top speed of 70 km/h, the Qute definitely cannot be taken onto the highways so it cannot be sold as a personal transportation vehicle since we still aren’t a country rich enough where people can afford a cheap and small quadricycle for urban usage and a car for roads that do not permit quadricycles. That means the Qute would primarily be limited to replacing the auto rickshaws, which Bajaj too manufactures.

Carmakers and auto rickshaw companies such as TVS have been against the idea of quadricycles as they believe it will add to the population of unsafe vehicles on already dangerous Indian roads. Bajaj, on the other hand, believes that the Qute is a better and efficient vehicle for urban transportation and that the petition filed by the auto rickshaw union against the Qute is driven by some competitors.

Whatever the real case is, one thing is clear that the journey of Qute in India hasn’t been anywhere close to the qualities associated with its name. It also shows how the Indian automotive industry is divided on a crucial issue such as environment and safety. It’s hard for anyone to predict what the future holds for the Qute but one thing is clear that the Qute is only going to be a marginal safety increment over the three-wheelers that ply on our roads. Similar to the BSIV to BSVI progression, we need larger progresses across our mobility solutions and electric/ hybrid vehicles of small capacity seem to be a better answer to the traffic congestion and pollution problems we’re facing right now.

Also read: Bajaj Pulsar most preferred motorcycle in India, Honda Activa takes top spot in scooters

Safety issues too need to be addressed urgently as India ranks at the top of traffic fatalities in the world. The Qute hence cannot be a solution to that on its own. What needs to change first is the attitude of people on roads and their fundamental understanding of traffic rules.

Maybe the Qute isn’t the right idea for our roads and Rajiv Bajaj himself said that “If the solution or the idea is right, it will go like a hot knife through butter. If the idea is not working, for example, demonetisation, don’t blame execution. I think your idea itself is wrong.” Irrespective of the demonetisation’s success/ failure, probably the Qute isn’t a hot knife exactly to cut through the frozen butter of our policies!

^^

They are all over the place in Bangladesh. Take a trip across the border sometime. Banned from the major cities though, too slow. You have to go to a smaller town.

[/QUOTE]

^^
Bajaj must transition to next gen., Qute 2.0 e-vehicle. Design must also go from fugly to smooth.
I see an e vehicle winner form Bajaj here, but this may be the competition:

Tata Pixel, ie. Nano 2.0
Tata_Pixel_2011_360_720_50-1.jpg

The above is why Tata outsourced contemporary Nano it to Jayem rather then go for Nano electric re: below.
Tata-Nano-Jayem-Neo-EV-1.jpg

Last edited:
^^
Bajaj must transition to next gen., Qute 2.0 e-vehicle. Design must also go from fugly to smooth.
I see an e vehicle winner form Bajaj here, but this may be the competition:

Tata Pixel, ie. Nano 2.0
Tata_Pixel_2011_360_720_50-1.jpg

The above is why Tata outsourced contemporary Nano it to Jayem rather then go for Nano electric re: below.
Tata-Nano-Jayem-Neo-EV-1.jpg
I don't think Pixel will see the light in India. Nano was given to Jayem because Tata has no hope left for it. I say this as a Nano apologist.

Tata's EV plans are dependent on Tiago and Tigor. Qute is an upgraded highly reliable autorikshaw and if there's an upgraded Qute 2.0 car EV, the competition will be Mahindra e2O.

Mmmmm ... anyways, I wish it be a 3 way between
  • Tata Nano/Pixel Vs. M&M's e20 Vs. Qute2.0 + local newbies Vs. Rest of the World eg. VW, Renault, Hyundai, Datsun, Toyota etc. who are already big and bold in India

Back
Top Bottom