What's new

Made in India’ F-16s on radar, thanks to FDI

Sold to whom though? You guys do realise that one manufactures something they want to actually buy or have hopes of selling.
The Kuwaiti Superhornet deal is closed and being made here, All F-16 orders are going to be fulfilled here. So where is the customer for which there will be investment to make in India?

India had the option to go for the Superhornet and involve Boeing in the Tejas to truly synergize its industry instead of falling for the French Floozy that eventually cant even get going at 36 jets; let alone 120.

India will be the customer. Listen to recent comments by MoD. He mention another fighter jet under the MiI program.

Most likely India or rather Reliance Industries will get the F18 assembly line. The Make in India program is basically aimed at making the likes to Reliance very rich i.e. the people who brought Modi into. Good return on investment.

Boeing and LM will prefer TATA's aerospace wing, they've formed a natural partnership with the TATAs.

Lockheed Martin Corp. is leaning toward the Tata Group as a potential partner to build its flagship F-16 as India looks to modernize an aging fleet of fighter jets.

“Naturally we would gravitate to Tata," George Standridge, Lockheed Martin’s vice president for Aeronautics Strategy and Business Development, said in an interview in New Delhi on Wednesday when asked about production of F-16s. “We know them well and we have worked with them well."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...a-as-f-16-partner-for-next-big-india-jet-deal

Reliance is producing a plant for Antonov's line of civ and military planes.

India will be the customer. Listen to recent comments by MoD. He mention another fighter jet under the MiI program..
His mentioning needs the Air Force to agree. The only possible logic to get another fighter is to deny Pakistan any source for hardware; there is literally NO other reason. That is a strategy but it also means a logistical nightmare for the IAF; something it already goes through every day.

His mentioning needs the Air Force to agree. The only possible logic to get another fighter is to deny Pakistan any source for hardware; there is literally NO other reason. That is a strategy but it also means a logistical nightmare for the IAF; something it already goes through every day.

Yes, I dont like it either. But I am starting to believe another fighter might get into the fray. Mentioning assembly production under a private firm, mentioning of another fighter jet under MiI program in the recent TATA-Boeing ceremony, etc.

Yes, I dont like it either. But I am starting to believe another fighter might get into the fray.
That then will be the Gripen and the death knell for the Tejas. Because TATA would lobby or bribe to make it happen. The F-16 is a chance in hell and the Hornet is something the IAF would lobby against. A new fighter that is NOT the AMCA program has no positive outcomes for India's industry.

This is Great news

If Rafale is not going to be made in India then lets us make F 16

This will also help us in getting OTHER US technology like Aircraft carriers
Predators ; Jet engines etc

F 16 deal will act like a GREASE for other deals

AIM X Block 2 is now nearly a BVR missile

Add to it APG 83 Aesa and AIM 120 D

That then will be the Gripen and the death knell for the Tejas. Because TATA would lobby or bribe to make it happen. The F-16 is a chance in hell and the Hornet is something the IAF would lobby against. A new fighter that is NOT the AMCA program has no positive outcomes for India's industry.

We'll see, we'll see. Things are starting to get weird that's all I can say.

We'll see, we'll see. Things are starting to get weird that's all I can say.
Nothing weird about it. India is sadly behaving like an upstart that just made the lottery and cant decide what to do with the money. There is a lot coming in and there needs to be a very level head that is a balance of smart spending and reasonable negotiations.
Currently India wants to buy everything at the price it wants. This policy is not serving the interest of its armed forces nor the interests of its local industry .

The idea of make in India is to bring the technology to India to be absorbed by the local population. Right now it seems the idea is to bring in money that employs the local population. Unlike China which blatantly but to its advantage reverse engineers everything; India has bound itself by IP laws.

Nothing weird about it. India is sadly behaving like an upstart that just made the lottery and cant decide what to do with the money. There is a lot coming in and there needs to be a very level head that is a balance of smart spending and reasonable negotiations.
Currently India wants to buy everything at the price it wants. This policy is not serving the interest of its armed forces nor the interests of its local industry .

The idea of make in India is to bring the technology to India to be absorbed by the local population. Right now it seems the idea is to bring in money that employs the local population. Unlike China which blatantly but to its advantage reverse engineers everything; India has bound itself by IP laws.

The idea of make in India isnt just to bring in tech, but also to bring local employment like you mentioned.

And there's nothing wrong with farming high skilled talent, team that's not just under HAL. What ever the case, I do want HAL's monopoly to end, and another private production line that can support future designs from ADA, or from their own inhouse design firms, or completely outsourced.

It just could've been done better with the F18SH, Tejas example you gave.

And damn confusing as well.
Unless India gov is trying to play one of these manufacturers against the others, the moves make little sense, unless these planes are going to exported from India...

It is, but we'll have to wait and see till we get a clearer picture.

India and US are moving closer than ever before

We will overcome the hesitations of History ( The words of PM Modi )

One plane will definitely be made in India

It might be Rafale or F 16

Rafale off the shelf can be limited to 60 odd planes

India and US are moving closer than ever before

We will overcome the hesitations of History ( The words of PM Modi )

One plane will definitely be made in India

It might be Rafale or F 16

Rafale off the shelf can be limited to 60 odd planes

With Tejas in, would another Single engine fighter like F16 make sense?

Not really sure about F16's for IAF's requirement!

With Tejas in, would another Single engine fighter like F16 make sense?

Not really sure about F16's for IAF's requirement!

We have to replace Many planes in the next 10 years

We need Numbers -- Tejas and F 16 both can co exist

Mig 21 and Mig 27 will be completely phased out

These two planes being replaced means the need for 300 planes

After 2035 we will also scrap Mig 29 ; Mirage 2000 and Jaguars

We have to replace Many planes in the next 10 years

We need Numbers -- Tejas and F 16 both can co exist

Mig 21 and Mig 27 will be completely phased out

These two planes being replaced means the need for 300 planes

After 2035 we will also scrap Mig 29 ; Mirage 2000 and Jaguars

F-16 could perfectly suits IAF in numbers, but I am doubtful about that, when the future upgrades and advancement is doubtful for the next 40 years. Another point would be how to justify F-16 when its block 60 version with CFT failed in the technical evaluation during MMRCA.

F-18 also offer attractive capability, but again problem is that US wants India to market F-18 which would start from Induction in Indian service, but then the Rafale offers better options.

In 10 years I am very sure couple of fighter in India and for which I am sure is LCA Tejas MK-1 and HAL/BAE Combat Hawk in numbers to fullfill that voids.

I am not the decision maker, but if I would have then then I would like to bring the commonality between the fighter planes in IAF and INaF. E.g for LCA Tejas MK-1 and 2 instead of EL/M-2052 and Python 5 and Derby RBE-2 and MICA.

There will be no death for Tejas or any Indian defense related research items.... it will only enhance and contribute to India's drive.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom