What's new

‘Made in China’ label discourages Saudis!

OrionHunter

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
JEDDAH: Ibrahim Naffee

Published — Wednesday 22 January 2014

‘Made in China’ label discourages Saudis​

China may have emerged as a major outsourcing destination for Western companies and brands to manufacture their products, but in Saudi Arabia, the “Made in China” mention on labels of even popular brands is enough to discourage Saudi consumers from buying them. This is mainly because of popular perception among the citizens that all Chinese products are fakes.

Some vendors have specialized in selling counterfeit products. They sell watches of Swiss brands, which are not genuine. But the vendors are still in business because they know that some consumers buy the fakes since they can’t afford genuine products that are expensive.

“If anyone wants to buy a genuine watch of a reputable brand, he must then go to one of its authorized agents. But when they come to us, we know they want to buy a cheaper, counterfeit watch of a reputed brand. That’s why we are in business,” a Yemeni vendor in downtown Jeddah said.

Chinese counterfeit products, particularly clothes and shoes carrying Western brand names, have flooded the market.

‘Made in China’ label discourages Saudis | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Buy Chinese stuff but make sure its genuine! Otherwise you guys will meet the same fate as I did when my iPhone died an inglorious death one week after I bought it! Sheeesh!!

It turned out to be an expensive Chinese fake! Yep! I got suckered too! :hitwall:

Buy Chinese stuff but make sure its genuine! Otherwise you guys will meet the same fate as I did when my iPhone died an inglorious death one week after I bought it! Sheeesh!!

It turned out to be an expensive Chinese fake! Yep! I got suckered too! :hitwall:

Your Indian stores buy fake stuff and sell it as real stuff?

Then who's fault is it?

Last edited:

It's true you do get a fake phones. They are everywhere. Some Indian stuffs are stamped as "Made in China" as well.
You cannot get a fake Iphone if you have purchased it in any reputable store. I have a feeling you did otherwise.
Also, you can distinguish between a real Iphone and a fake one by just noticing the display once it's switched on. But it took a week for it to die on you? And you didn't do much on Day 1 after you switched on the phone? Something tells me there is something fishy going on here. Unless you just want to bad mouth about Made in China goods.

You cannot get a fake Iphone if you have purchased it in any reputable store. I have a feeling you did otherwise.

Exactly. He probably bought it cheap off some black market vendor.

If it was a reputable vendor they would be shut down right away.

Also, you can distinguish between a real Iphone and a fake one by just noticing the display once it's switched on.

It is incredibly easy to tell the difference between real iPhones and fake ones. Fake ones don't even have the Apple operating system!

But it took a week for it to die on you? And you didn't do much on Day 1 after you switched on the phone? Something tells me there is something fishy going on here. Unless you just want to bad mouth about Made in China goods.

That's exactly how it seems to me.

It's true you do get a fake phones. They are everywhere. Some Indian stuffs are stamped as "Made in China" as well.
Also, you can distinguish between a real Iphone and a fake one by just noticing the display once it's switched on. But it took a week for it to die on you? And you didn't do much on Day 1 after you switched on the phone? Something tells me there is something fishy going on here. Unless you just want to bad mouth about Made in China goods.

Dude - where did you get this imagination from that Indian stuff is stamped made in China? Last time you guys were in news, was for stamping Chinese substandard out of date medicines under "Made in India" stamp for sales into Africa.

Exactly. He probably bought it cheap off some black market vendor.

If it was a reputable vendor they would be shut down right away.

It is incredibly easy to tell the difference between real iPhones and fake ones. Fake ones don't even have the Apple operating system!

He tried to bad mouth China. But got caught in the process. He didn't do much research before posting lol...

Dude - where did you get this imagination from that Indian stuff is stamped made in China? Last time you guys were in news, was for stamping Chinese substandard out of date medicines under "Made in India" stamp for sales into Africa.
Oh there are many, trust me. Do some research in the Indian black market and ask the vendors. Go to Kolkata's Fancy Market and check it out. I've been there and done that.
Cheers!

China is like Microsoft, constantly bad mouthed, but you just can't live without it, unless you are a programmer, when talking Microsoft or rich when talking Chinese products.

But seeing as most are not programmers or rich, I guess you are stuck with us and microsoft.

But some Indian members have this crazy perception that Made in Indian means good, if we did put made in India is because nobody would believe crap was made in US or UK. We got to make it look believable man.

India is not developed, nor does it have prestige, why would your products be quality? Who would wear Indian instead of French or Italian if they got the money? Who would drive Tata instead of Audi if they got the cash. Get real man.

Wrong! They have the logo as well as an operating system! Read this.....

Police in Shanghai arrested five people over the matter, with the reporting that they were using parts procured from Guangdong in Southern China, and that the handsets were being manufactured in rented apartments inside Shanghai.

Perhaps the most interesting fact to note is the claim that these fake iPhones actually included some original parts, presumable bought or stolen from one of Apple’s manufacturing plants. One enterprising youngster sold white fake iphones made from real parts until the Cupertino outfit got wind of his operation – the budding businessman claimed the parts came from one of Apple’s partners.

According to investigators in China, the fake iPhones were almost indistinguishable from their legitimate counterparts, and that the only noticeable difference in use was the shorter battery life of the counterfeit handsets.

"It’s really hard for customers to distinguish the fake ones from the genuine ones," an officer was quoted as saying.

Spot the fake...

article-2024878-0D640EDC00000578-926_634x577.jpg

Fake iPhones Made From Real Parts Discovered In China | Redmond Pie
'hiPhone 5': Fake Chinese version of Apple's iPhone 5 on sale months before real thing | Mail Online

Last edited:
Wrong! They have the logo as well as an operating system! Read this.....

Police in Shanghai arrested five people over the matter, with the reporting that they were using parts procured from Guangdong in Southern China, and that the handsets were being manufactured in rented apartments inside Shanghai.

Perhaps the most interesting fact to note is the claim that these fake iPhones actually included some original parts, presumable bought or stolen from one of Apple’s manufacturing plants. One enterprising youngster sold white fake iphones made from real parts until the Cupertino outfit got wind of his operation – the budding businessman claimed the parts came from one of Apple’s partners.

According to investigators in China, the fake iPhones were almost indistinguishable from their legitimate counterparts, and that the only noticeable difference in use was the shorter battery life of the counterfeit handsets.

"It’s really hard for customers to distinguish the fake ones from the genuine ones," an officer was quoted as saying.

Spot the fake...

article-2024878-0D640EDC00000578-926_634x577.jpg

Fake iPhones Made From Real Parts Discovered In China | Redmond Pie
'hiPhone 5': Fake Chinese version of Apple's iPhone 5 on sale months before real thing | Mail Online
Oye Kake the only the person never used iPhone will fall for those counter fits.
The one ever used knows its fake in a min.

But yes the finishing is good.
Your image diesnt even come close to the fakes. 100 similar in visibility.
Just sucked at touch screen and OS.

That's how one can get suckered!! :partay:
Ya one can. But we shouldn't blame that on china. Its consumer market. Produces make what consumers want.

I bought 5S @ 54K few months ago and my friend bought 5 copy @4K. And it even has a bluetooth FTP which Apple don't allow :rofl:
Finishing is quite good. But you have to blame yourself for following for that. Not the poor Chinese product.

Why are chinese soo greedy that they put profits over people? Nothing is sacred to them, they put melamine in milk just to make a few extra dollars. Do they think about how many people will get hurt?

Then who's fault is it?

This is exactly where I always bash the Anti China brigade. You get what you buy and bargain for. I have often said this many, MANY times in my previous posts - and I am being very non-partial here ! If a trader goes to Canton Fair and tries to get the best price from the most dubious Chinese poser (not manufacturer), you are of course, going to be duped.

I am sure many Chinese here will agree with me that for most merchandise, there are two categories. Yiwu category which is throwaway, volume price, low quality which is good for third world markets - and non-Yiwu category, where goods are manufactured to buyers specifications (often that means good quality).

The oft repeated refrain from Chinese manufacturers is this (to many traders and importers of other countries - you want gold for price of copper, go to Yiwu ! You wan't platinum for price of platinum, talk to me !)

The low quality issue is not China's fault entirely. Importers / traders who want to make a quick profit at the expense of their own countrymen's goodwill, often undervalue / under-invoice goods, bring in lowest of low quality and flood the market with trash. The blame, gentlemen, is equally on importing traders.

Then who's fault is it?

Relax man,

the article is not written by any Indian.

they sale fake drugs by typing Made in India drugs.

Chinese passing off fake drugs as ‘Made in India’ - The Times of India

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom