What's new

Longest Range Ballistic Missile All Set for Undersea Launch

@HariPrasad

Well those are renderings of ( non existing) Agni III SL,but K 4 might look similar in stored condition,in the canister/launch tube.

To evade Chinese BMD systems,maybe?
The article says it would not leave atmostphere ( like k 15 ).and criuises like a cruise missile,thats a QBM.

See this is an unique missile Which behave differently in different phase. In first phase it reaches upto 50 KM like a Ballastic missile. Than it starts horizontal journey at 50 KM height. When it approaches the target, it starts reducing the height gradually and starts behaving like Cruise missile. It goes on reducing the height of its flight path and strikes the target within a single digit accuracy. So shaped trajectory is a correct word. It has hundreds of paths to reach the target in its memory. One can choose any one prior to launch of missile. Most of this difference shall be in terminal phase. This is going to be a nightmare for BMD systems. No system can intercept it (Except S 500) in my opinion because of its hypersoinc speed and terminal maneuvers.

They will not look identical..

Arihant has 4 silos that can hold 1 K-4 or 3 smaller K-15 in each. There will be a clear size difference.

480px-Trident_missile_launch.jpg

3Mb2n.jpg

UGM-27C_Polaris_A3_launch.jpg

20090429-214218-pic-119341782.jpg

1257634815689.jpg

It'll look like a typical short, fat SLBM.

You are right. There may be some difference in height (K4 may be 1 to 2 m Long) but except that there will be no huge change in design. This will be a longer version K 15 that's all.

@HariPrasad

Well those are renderings of ( non existing) Agni III SL,but K 4 might look similar in stored condition,in the canister/launch tube.

No man it will be same as K 15 except some additional length. You may say redesign Agni IV instead of Agni III as both missiles uses same 1.3 m Dia motors.

Last edited:
You are right. There be some difference in height (K4 may be 1 to 2 m Long) but except that there will be no huge change in design. This will be a longer version K 15 that's all.

Dude, the obvious part is the thickness, because you can fit only one K-4 in 1 silo in the Arihant, but you can fit 3 K-15s in 1 Arihant silo.

You will clearly tell the difference by the width alone. We dont even know how the look of this missile will be, so saying it will look like a K-15 is premature.

Last edited:
Dude, the obvious part is the thickness, because you can fit only one K-4 in 1 silo in the Arihant, but you can fit 3 K-15s in 1 Arihant silo.

You will clearly tell the difference by the width alone. We dont even know how the look of this missile will be, so saying it will look like a K-15 is premature.

Ok Guy. My assumption is based on the fact that it will be a longer version of K 15. I can believe that it will be a bit longer than K15 but no major change in design like what pictures you posted. It is few days away. So let us wait and see.

Ok Guy. My assumption is based on the fact that it will be a longer version of K 15. I can believe that it will be a bit longer than K15 but no major change in design like what pictures you posted. It is few days away. So let us wait and see.

Bro.... It's obviously going to be fatter.

BO5%2BK15%2Ba-779712.jpg

K-15 is a pencil thin SLBM, probably the thinnest SLBM.

K-4 has a 1.3m diameter.

jl-1.jpg

polaris.jpg

Similar to Polaris and JL-1.

Wait and see.

Last edited:
Bro.... It's obviously going to be fatter.

BO5%2BK15%2Ba-779712.jpg

K-15 is a pencil thin SLBM, probably the thinnest SLBM.

K-4 is 1.3 diameters.

jl-1.jpg

polaris.jpg

Similar to Polaris and JL-1.

Wait and see.

You may be right. It will be fatter as well in addition to be longer than K15.

RV mk 4 used Agni III weighs around 400 kg,and houses a 200 kT TNW,and diameter is really small,that they use a payload adapter to connect it to the missile..

Pl Explain. Agni III has 2 m dia. What is RV 4,5,6 etc.

Last edited:
@Hari Prasad,
hey buddy,with due respect don't jump into conclusions alrehey buddy,with due respect don't jump into conclusions alrehey buddy,with due respect don't jump into conclusions alrehey buddy,with due respect don't jump into conclusions already.
I mean the K 4 might have a single digit CEP or might not.But we can't asses that is totally true or not because we test our missiles on sea and not against some stationary target,unless and until we do that,we'll never be able to properly asses the CEP of our missiles.I don't know about someone else but I for one am not ready to take the words of DRDO guys as a gospel truth.I'm in no way disrespecting DRDO here,infact I'm a huge supporter of them.What they have achieved with the paltry 'defence budget' is to be proud I mean the K 4 might have a single digit CEP or might not.But we can't asses that is totally true or not because we test our missiles on sea and not against some stationary target,unless and until we do that,we'll never be able to properly asses the CEP of our missiles.I don't know about someone else but I for one am not ready to take the words of DRDO guys as a gospel truth.I'm in no way disrespecting DRDO here,infact I'm a huge supporter of them.What they have I mean the K 4 might have a single digit CEP or might not.But we can't asses that is totally true or not because we test our missiles on sea and not against some stationary target,unless and until we do that,we'll never be able to properly asses the CEP of our missiles.I don't know about someone else but I for one am not ready to take the words of DRDO guys as a gospel truth.I'm in no way disrespecting DRDO here,infact I'm a huge supporter of them.What they have achieved with the paltry 'defence budget' is to be proud I mean the K 4 might have a single digit CEP or might not.But we can't asses that is totally true or not because we test our missiles on sea and not against some stationary target,unless and until we do that,we'll never be able to properly asses the CEP of our missiles.I don't know about someone else but I for one am not ready to take the words of DR

Try to copy A AK47 first. The problem is you can't even copy, am I right?

You see in developing our own stuff, we loose the art of copying. Your country mastered it since you can not bring in innovation of your own. We need a weapon of our choice. For you, any copied stuff will fulfill your requirement. Our path are different.

I'm so in love with Ohio Class SSBNs :smitten:

What about los angeles class ? It is a very nice sub.

Last edited:
I mean the K 4 might have a single digit CEP or might not.But we can't asses that is totally true or not because we test our missiles on sea and not against some stationary target

Dubby who told you that target can not be stationary. I just repeat what Tassy said and read on some other authentic news.

Last edited:
I'm in no way disrespecting DRDO here,infact I'm a huge supporter of them.What they have achieved with the paltry 'defence budget' is to be proud I mean the K 4 might have a single digit CEP or might not.

You see there are 2 type of things. One is a forecast and other is a statement of facts. e.g DRDO said that K 4 missile will be tested in September 13 but they didn't. But if they say that Agni V hit a target 5000 KM away, it will always be 5000 KM or more and not less than that. They (Tassy) have quoted this CEP on successful test of Agni V and it is not based on any theoretical calculation. Even you may see the Video of Agni 1 hitting target with few meter of accuracy on you-tube.

You see in developing our own stuff, we loose the art of copying. Your country mastered it since you can not bring in innovation of your own. We need a weapon of our choice. For you, any copied stuff will fulfill your requirement. Our path are different.
Innovation is very important, you are probably right in some extent. I think copy is the basis for innovation. You will see lots of innovation by China very soon.

Yeah thats the result of heavy funding+research in the civilian(ISRO) and military(DRDO) sectors.
Not just increased funding. Funding has more or less remained static in real terms with GDP.

There is a critical threshold that has to be achieved in these sectors before the technology and research gets streamlined enough to rapidly introduce new capabilities. Organizational Knowledge accumulation.

These thresholds have been achieved in propulsion, materials research. So now, projects that earlier took decades of research to achieve, now take a few years at max to produce similar jumps in technology.

That critical mass of research and maturity was reached in early 2000's.

Dont take this personaly but what is the problem with you man?You always attribute the success of Indian missile & space projects to funding.Arent these organisations poorly funded when compared to similar organisations in other countries?

Dont India have an advantage in 'starting much earlier'?ISRO was designing its own Solid fueled Sounding Rockets in '60s,and was developing SLV in 70s.Did they recieve lavish funding back then?

Similarly DRDL was reverse engineering SA 2s in 80s and trying to developed a liquid fueled IRBM in 80s.

Arent we watching the results of ectensive R&Ds these organisations have done?

I'm not sure what ticked you off. o_O
I said funding AND research. Nowhere I said or meant to imply that extensive research wasn't involved. I don't always attribute the success of Indian missile & space projects to funding....only when it is being compared to Pakistan's. Talented minds are on both sides of the border, its just that we lack resources.

Of course India has the advantage of an established civil space programme. Again, nowhere I said that R&D wasn't involved.

Not just increased funding. Funding has more or less remained static in real terms with GDP.

There is a critical threshold that has to be achieved in these sectors before the technology and research gets streamlined enough to rapidly introduce new capabilities. Organizational Knowledge accumulation.

These thresholds have been achieved in propulsion, materials research. So now, projects that earlier took decades of research to achieve, now take a few years at max to produce similar jumps in technology.

That critical mass of research and maturity was reached in early 2000's.

Yes of course, now that the missile industry is mature, it takes lesser time for them to design and develop newer systems.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom