What's new

Long march against Rampal project

This Anu Mohammed and his so called different leftist cronies are just a bunch of "Soldouts".

This Anu Mohammed and his so called different leftist cronies are just a bunch of "Soldouts".
Yes, they are sold out. I remember an occasion when they met their fellow communist Jyoti Bosu, the CM of west Bengal and proposed the use of our northern coal reserves by west Bengal. They said this all with the same lame excuse of creation of pollution in the BD country.

The ash content of BD coal is only 3% or 4%, whereas the Meghalaya coal has almost 35% ash content. All the brick fields in Dhaka are using this nasty Indian coal without an objection from these nature loving Doctors of Ecology.

Not all leftist are sold out. Anu himself is not a leftist and a special case. He is an activist and makes his living by stiring things up.

Bangladesh is a densely populated small country. It is very difficult to acquire land here. The locals would come out with weapons to protect their land and the BD environmentalist will come with their ecology crap, anyway, wherever may be the proposed location.
- This happened when BD govt wanted to mine the coal in Dinajpur.
- This happened when BD built a 250 mW power plant in the vicinity of the coal mine.
On the contrary,
- Rampal is almost a marsh land. Almost no cereals are produced there because of very bad soil condition which is made worse by the incursion of salt water during high tide (Joar) two times a day.
- Sundarban is at least 14 km. south of Rampal, and wind blows south to north almost throughout the year except the winter of 2.5 months. How it is possible to assume that Sundarban ecology will be destroyed in such a case?

I see, thanks for the insight. If that is the case, when why is there a concern regarding the location. I assumed India was also a part in development of the power plant?

I see, thanks for the insight. If that is the case, when why is there a concern regarding the location. I assumed India was also a part in development of the power plant?

Rampal location has been made an issue by the Anu Mohammad and gong to mislead us by a strong propaganda. The participant Indian company is not a part of the GoI. Participation in Rampal by an Indian company is being used to dupe us by India very cunningly.

Note one thing, there have been talks of selling electricity from Nepal, Bhutan, Arunachal and finally from Sikim/Teesta during the time when BD people are shouting against Rampal. This is a duplicity to discourage BD from building its own power plants, all in the name of protecting environment. Note that in BD only 2% of power is produced from coal. In India it is more than 35%.

@bluesky @TopCat @Bilal9

Can any of you tell me, how many poweplants are planned and how many of them are under construction as of now? Also their proposed capacity

@bluesky @TopCat @Bilal9

Can any of you tell me, how many poweplants are planned and how many of them are under construction as of now? Also their proposed capacity

A) Coal-fired plants:
1) Barapukuria 3rd Unit: 275 mW
2) Chittagong Power Station: No data
3) Mawa Power Station: 660 mW
4) Mongla Power Station: 217 mW
5) Rampal Power Plant: 1320 mW

B) Nuclear power plants
1) Ruppur Power Plant: 2400 mW

There must be other proposed plants of which I am not aware of. I can remember another coal-fired power plants somewhere near Cox's Bazaar to be built with Japanese finance. It is something near 2000 mW.

Last edited:
I heard about Payra and Matarbari power stations.

Yes, the Matarbari plant is by the Japanese. It is 2,000 mW, which I wrote as near Cox's Bazaar in my previous post. However, I do not see any negotiations going between the two parties since its inception. I believe, there will be many other power plants near Barapukuria coal fields, the total being 4,000 mW, in contrast to the existing 200 mW plant and a proposed 275 mW. plant. I have no knowledge of a Paira power plant, though I heard of a Bhola plant.

Although the plants near the sea will run on imported coal, but, I think the northern region will use BD's own coal. It is abundant with an equivalent heat content of about @80 trillion cft. (tcf) of natural gas. In comparison, the proven gas reserve in BD is only about 13-23 tcf.

Back
Top Bottom