What's new

Long march against Rampal project

Just going by the declarations of the present govt. 15 Gigawatts is okay....I guess

Please make your own calculations and post your own thinking, and not what a govt. spokesman says. I remember the days when the then PM Khaleda spoke in a public meeting, "বৰ্তমানে দেশে ৩,৫০০মেগাওয়াট বিদ্যুৎ উৎপাদনের ক্ষমতা আছে। আর মাত্র ৫০০ মেগাওয়াট বিদ্যুৎ উৎপাদন করতে পারলেই আমার দেশ বিদ্যুতে স্বয়ংসম্পূর্ণ হয়ে যাবে।" Her words were a shit. She is quite unfit to become even a local Chairperson of a village.

By the way, you are wrong to imply that the present govt. is happy with the 15,000 mW production, because the present declared policy is to produce 40,000 mW. If your statement is correct why Rampal and many other poer plants are needed in the planning?

It's time we started exporting to larger neighboring countries like Pakistan and India
They will just impose more 'anti dumping' tax on our products, even in the slightest hint of that.

http://www.climatechangenews.com/20...cheaper-than-coal-says-india-energy-minister/

Solar is now cheaper than coal, says India energy minister
Published on 18/04/2016, 3:51pm24

Energy minister says power realities are changing fast, predicting a fast uptake in solar energy despite concerns over baseload and storage

QA_solar_Pakistan_800.jpg

(pic; http://www.qasolar.com/)

By Ed King

India is on track to soar past a goal to deploy more than 100 gigawatts of solar power by 20227, the country’s energy minister Piyush Goyal said on Monday.

Speaking at the release of a 15-point action plan for the country’s renewable sector, Goyal said he was now considering looking at “something more” for the fast growing solar sector.

“I think a new coal plant would give you costlier power than a solar plant,” he said.9

“Of course there are challenges of 24/7 power. We accept all of that – but we have been able to come up with a solar-based long term vision that is not subsidy based.”

In the past financial year, nearly 20GW of solar capacity has been approved by the government, with a further 14GW planned through 2016 according to the Union Budget.

UN: China, India driving new clean energy investments

Capital costs have fallen 60% in the past four years and could drop a further 40% reports Deutsche Bank, which said in a report last year solar investment would overtake coal by 2020.

Solar energy prices hit a new record low in January with the auction of 420 megawatts in Rajasthan at 4.34 rupees a kilowatt-hour. In comparison coal tariffs range between 3-5 rupees/kWh.

The looming bankruptcy of renewables giant Sun Edison has left many Indian investors nervous about backing solar, Bloomberg reported last week, but Goyal said the sector had a strong outlook.

“If one airline goes bankrupt I don’t think people stop flying in aircraft,” he joked, insisting India had renewable energy benchmarks that are “unparalleled in the world”.

Analysis: Will doubling coal tax boost India’s clean energy sector?

Goyal added India was now willing to help developing countries in Asia, Africa and the Pacific to develop clean energy plans free of charge.

The Delhi government would “supply expertise” to any poor country that needed help, promising it would “never charge a single rupee”.

“I sincerely believe that what the West is doing in this respect is anti-development and anti the fight against climate change,” he said, accusing rich countries of charging too much for clean technology.

The World Trade Organisation recently incurred the anger of the Modi government when it ruled India was illegally supporting domestic over international solar producers.

Poorer nations were receiving “absolutely no support” from developed governments, said Goyal, calling for the easing of trade agreements to allow countries to accelerate green energy deployment.

Report: India affirms commitment to sign Paris climate accord

“India should stop following the world and now is destined to lead the world as champion for underdeveloped, clean tech and clean energy,”3 he said.

Levels of climate finance support are an open sore between rich and poor countries, with progress towards a 2009 pledge to deliver $100 billion a year by 2020 still uncertain.

A report from the OECD club of industrialised nations released last year said $62 billion was flowing to poorer nations to help develop them green their economies – a number many contest.

Goyal said he hoped to win more support for an Indian-led global solar alliance when he travels to New York this week to witness the signing of the Paris Agreement on climate change.

“I believe this is the single most important world agreement that is going to be executed on 22 April,” he said.

Related posts:
  1. No renewables without coal, says Indian energy minister
  2. India targets 500% increase in solar power generation
  3. Solar industry strong despite Sun Edison bankruptcy, say analysts
  4. India’s energy revolution accelerates, as solar costs near coal
Energy | India | Renewables | Solar

http://www.climatechangenews.com/20...cheaper-than-coal-says-india-energy-minister/

Solar is now cheaper than coal, says India energy minister
Published on 18/04/2016, 3:51pm24

Energy minister says power realities are changing fast, predicting a fast uptake in solar energy despite concerns over baseload and storage

QA_solar_Pakistan_800.jpg

(pic; http://www.qasolar.com/)

By Ed King

India is on track to soar past a goal to deploy more than 100 gigawatts of solar power by 20227, the country’s energy minister Piyush Goyal said on Monday.

Speaking at the release of a 15-point action plan for the country’s renewable sector, Goyal said he was now considering looking at “something more” for the fast growing solar sector.

“I think a new coal plant would give you costlier power than a solar plant,” he said.9

“Of course there are challenges of 24/7 power. We accept all of that – but we have been able to come up with a solar-based long term vision that is not subsidy based.”

In the past financial year, nearly 20GW of solar capacity has been approved by the government, with a further 14GW planned through 2016 according to the Union Budget.

UN: China, India driving new clean energy investments

Capital costs have fallen 60% in the past four years and could drop a further 40% reports Deutsche Bank, which said in a report last year solar investment would overtake coal by 2020.

Solar energy prices hit a new record low in January with the auction of 420 megawatts in Rajasthan at 4.34 rupees a kilowatt-hour. In comparison coal tariffs range between 3-5 rupees/kWh.

The looming bankruptcy of renewables giant Sun Edison has left many Indian investors nervous about backing solar, Bloomberg reported last week, but Goyal said the sector had a strong outlook.

“If one airline goes bankrupt I don’t think people stop flying in aircraft,” he joked, insisting India had renewable energy benchmarks that are “unparalleled in the world”.

Analysis: Will doubling coal tax boost India’s clean energy sector?

Goyal added India was now willing to help developing countries in Asia, Africa and the Pacific to develop clean energy plans free of charge.

The Delhi government would “supply expertise” to any poor country that needed help, promising it would “never charge a single rupee”.

“I sincerely believe that what the West is doing in this respect is anti-development and anti the fight against climate change,” he said, accusing rich countries of charging too much for clean technology.

The World Trade Organisation recently incurred the anger of the Modi government when it ruled India was illegally supporting domestic over international solar producers.

Poorer nations were receiving “absolutely no support” from developed governments, said Goyal, calling for the easing of trade agreements to allow countries to accelerate green energy deployment.

Report: India affirms commitment to sign Paris climate accord

“India should stop following the world and now is destined to lead the world as champion for underdeveloped, clean tech and clean energy,”3 he said.

Levels of climate finance support are an open sore between rich and poor countries, with progress towards a 2009 pledge to deliver $100 billion a year by 2020 still uncertain.

A report from the OECD club of industrialised nations released last year said $62 billion was flowing to poorer nations to help develop them green their economies – a number many contest.

Goyal said he hoped to win more support for an Indian-led global solar alliance when he travels to New York this week to witness the signing of the Paris Agreement on climate change.

“I believe this is the single most important world agreement that is going to be executed on 22 April,” he said.

Related posts:
  1. No renewables without coal, says Indian energy minister
  2. India targets 500% increase in solar power generation
  3. Solar industry strong despite Sun Edison bankruptcy, say analysts
  4. India’s energy revolution accelerates, as solar costs near coal
Energy | India | Renewables | Solar

@maroofz2000 others have complained before about you posting irrelevant off-topic India-related threads in this forum and I have to agree with them now. What India does or does not do is better left to be discussed in the Indian forums. There are many reasons why this rule exists, the most obvious being ugly troll-fights.

Please discuss or start only Bangladesh-related threads in the Bangladesh forum.

Well we are discussing against burning of HYDROCARBONS, while offering us dirty cheap polluting energy plants, our neighbours both INDIA AND PAKISTAN are galloping towards ECO FRIENDLY, GREEN AND CLEAN RENEWABLE ENERGY.

HIGH TIME FOR US TO SERIOUSLY PONDER FOR OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS,I AM JUST CITING EXAMPLES OF OTHERS.
  • 1000 MW Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park, Bahawalpur, Pakistan.. 400 MW is now Operational. 3 new Plants sites are visible in Satellite view. ... 600 MW is Under Construction

15592372_1331248560272576_392629371_n-png.361260
    15592195_1331248443605921_2059618271_n-jpg.361261
    15592519_1331248610272571_1393001753_n-jpg.361262
    15645585_1331248563605909_1094166858_n-jpg.361263

+ QuoteReply

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/quaid-e-azam-solar-power-plant-updates.467398/#ixzz4TBLQEj7G

PLEASE READ THE TREAD AT PDF TITLED World Energy Hits a Turning Point: Solar That's Cheaper Than Wind

Source: https://defence.pk/#ixzz4TBje03gI:-):-):-)

Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park is on a 6500 acres of land with a nameplate capacity of 1000 mw. Whereas Rampal is on a 1834 acres of land with a nameplate capacity of 1320 mw. This is just one single limitation out of many of choosing solar over coal. Tell me where we gonna get the land?

Please make your own calculations and post your own thinking, and not what a govt. spokesman says. I remember the days when the then PM Khaleda spoke in a public meeting, "বৰ্তমানে দেশে ৩,৫০০মেগাওয়াট বিদ্যুৎ উৎপাদনের ক্ষমতা আছে। আর মাত্র ৫০০ মেগাওয়াট বিদ্যুৎ উৎপাদন করতে পারলেই আমার দেশ বিদ্যুতে স্বয়ংসম্পূর্ণ হয়ে যাবে।" Her words were a shit. She is quite unfit to become even a local Chairperson of a village.

By the way, you are wrong to imply that the present govt. is happy with the 15,000 mW production, because the present declared policy is to produce 40,000 mW. If your statement is correct why Rampal and many other poer plants are needed in the planning?

I agree - maybe my statement was not correct. I was not implying anything or agreeing with the Govt.

I hope you're not accusing me of being a 'Chamcha' of Hasina, are you? :-)

You put me on the spot about making a 'declaration' when I simply reported the govt. press release that the govt. had reached that 15 Gigawatt milestone. The 40 Gigawatt figure is a future milestone, not a present one.

It really isn't my job to make calculations or offer opinions about the Govts. press releases. The Govt. could care less and neither do I. I am not obligated to do it by any means. And neither do I need to offer an explanation to you or anyone else on this forum on any post I make, provided I follow the rules set by the mods, and whose judgment I trust completely.

I come here to the Bangladesh forum to let off some steam once in a while and socially interact with intelligent minds. It is no more than a hobby. Interaction depends on civilized behavior and respectful engagement. If you fail to follow those tenets of civility and respect - then people will simply put you on their ignore lists and not interact with you any longer.

No one in the Bangladesh Govt. takes or will take anything we say here on this forum seriously - no matter the amount of your disagreement with the Govt. We should keep that in mind every time we post.

Just going by the declarations of the present govt. 15 Gigawatts is okay....I guess.Only thing that saved Bangladesh was fluorescent tubes and CFL bulbs which consume one sixth of the energy.

But that is not the last word - more fridges and aircons are being bought in droves as lifestyles improve. Think about how much electricity those consume....

By the way - there are two million fridges and just as many aircons being made locally per year by various local brands, which meets may be 90% of local demand. It's time we started exporting to larger neighboring countries like Pakistan and India.
I doubt our fridges will get market in India or Pakistan. Even in BD people prefer fridges of foreign brand if they can effort them

Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park is on a 6500 acres of land with a nameplate capacity of 1000 mw. Whereas Rampal is on a 1834 acres of land with a nameplate capacity of 1320 mw. This is just one single limitation out of many of choosing solar over coal. Tell me where we gonna get the land?
That's what pro solar people need to understand. Coal causes pollution but that's the cheapest source for us. I'm all for moving towards renewable energy sources but we have to keep up with increasing demand. When we'll have surplus energy we should shut down coal fired plants then. Bit as of now, we have to generate power be it coal or whatever.

I doubt our fridges will get market in India or Pakistan. Even in BD people prefer fridges of foreign brand if they can effort them

Well we have to try. These are lucrative markets and 'hot countries'. Our fridges and aircons (especially Walton) are being marketed in Nepal and all over the middle east. 'Price strategy' at first will win lower end customers, before establishing a brand with other qualities like reliability, features etc. You have to start somewhere.

Look at Chinese products and Korean, Japanese products before them. All were considered shoddy before, but look at them now. Chinese cellphones (HUAWEI, XIAOMI) have already captured major markets like US. You need to get in on the bottom end first when you have a price advantage. These items are becoming commodity items, branding is increasingly less important while 'value' or bang for the buck is more important, decided by intelligent consumers on social media and word of mouth.

Plus proximity (shipping cost) and cultural affinity (marketing) can definitely play a part. India's North East market is very close, we can start there. We already market in Nepal.

Fridges are too expensive to make in Sweden, Japan or Italy because of sky-high labor cost. Korea, China will be next. Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, South Asia will be the new manufacturing hubs - Bangladesh' labor costs are the cheapest in South Asia.

They stopped making them in Sweden in the 70's (Electrolux), Italy (Zanussi, Indesit) in the 80's and then Japan (Hitachi, Toshiba etc.) in the 90's. All were imported into Bangladesh at some point, I've seen them (old ones, still running).

They are made mostly in China and ASEAN countries now (lowest cost of manufacture). Bangladesh can be a logical next destination. Bangladesh consumed two million fridges (mostly local made) last year. especially during Qurbani Eid. The entire country of India consumed eight million. Definitely there is potential.

I know Korean fridges (LG, Daewoo etc.) have markets in these countries, but they will rapidly grow out of reach of most lower end buyers, they will eventually concentrate on the higher end in these markets.

If you have a robust support network and good warranties, we can market them. If not India, then definitely Pakistan. I am sure the fridge manufacturers are establishing foothold as we write.

Last edited:
Well we have to try. These are lucrative markets and 'hot countries'. Our fridges and aircons (especially Walton) are being marketed in Nepal and all over the middle east. 'Price strategy' at first will win lower end customers, before establishing a brand with other qualities like reliability, features etc. You have to start somewhere.

Look at Chinese products and Korean, Japanese products before them. All were considered shoddy before, but look at them now. Chinese cellphones (HUAWEI, XIAOMI) have already captured major markets like US. You need to get in on the bottom end first when you have a price advantage. These items are becoming commodity items, branding is increasingly less important while 'value' or bang for the buck is more important, decided by intelligent consumers on social media and word of mouth.

Plus proximity (shipping cost) and cultural affinity (marketing) can definitely play a part. India's North East market is very close, we can start there. We already market in Nepal.

Fridges are too expensive to make in Sweden, Japan or Italy because of sky-high labor cost. Korea, China will be next. Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, South Asia will be the new manufacturing hubs - Bangladesh' labor costs are the cheapest in South Asia.

They stopped making them in Sweden in the 70's (Electrolux), Italy (Zanussi, Indesit) in the 80's and then Japan (Hitachi, Toshiba etc.) in the 90's. All were imported into Bangladesh at some point, I've seen them (old ones, still running).

They are made mostly in China and ASEAN countries now (lowest cost of manufacture). Bangladesh can be a logical next destination. Bangladesh consumed two million fridges (mostly local made) last year. especially during Qurbani Eid. The entire country of India consumed eight million. Definitely there is potential.

I know Korean fridges (LG, Daewoo etc.) have markets in these countries, but they will rapidly grow out of reach of most lower end buyers, they will eventually concentrate on the higher end in these markets.

If you have a robust support network and good warranties, we can market them. If not India, then definitely Pakistan. I am sure the fridge manufacturers are establishing foothold as we write.

Yeah companies should try to explore the foreign markets. Not only fridge, but with Mobiles, TV's, AC's and other electrical goods also. It'd be great if Bangladeshi electrical goods can find a market abroad. I guess we're going off topic here. But anyway we'd need to generate much more power to help our companies production.

দায়ী আমলাদের গাফিলতি!
সবুজ জলবায়ু তহবিল থেকে বাদ বাংলাদেশ
আরিফুর রহমান

১৮ ডিসেম্বর, ২০১৬ ০০:০০
http://www.kalerkantho.com/print-edition/first-page/2016/12/18/442024
শেয়ারমন্

031019GCF-Logo_kalerkantho_pic.jpg

জলবায়ু পরিবর্তনের কারণে ঝুঁকিপূর্ণ দেশের তালিকায় বাংলাদেশের নাম সবার ওপরে, আর জলবায়ু পরিবর্তনের জন্য দায়ী উন্নত দেশগুলো—বিশ্বে ক্রমেই যখন এ দাবি প্রতিষ্ঠিত হতে চলেছে, ঠিক তখন বড় ধরনের ধাক্কা এলো। জাতিসংঘের সবুজ জলবায়ু তহবিলের (জিসিএফ) নীতিনির্ধারণী ফোরাম বা সিদ্ধান্ত নিয়ে থাকে যে পরিষদ, সেই পরিষদের স্থায়ী সদস্য পদ হারিয়েছে বাংলাদেশ।

২০১৬ সাল থেকে ২০১৮—এ তিন বছরের জন্য জিসিএফ সভার স্থায়ী সদস্য হিসেবে নির্বাচিত হয়েছিল বাংলাদেশ। কিন্তু দায়িত্ব শেষ করার দুই বছর আগেই স্থায়ী সদস্য পদ থেকে বাংলাদেশকে সরিয়ে দেওয়া হয়েছে। নতুন করে স্থায়ী সদস্য পদের দায়িত্ব দেওয়া হয়েছে আফ্রিকার দেশ মালাওয়িকে। মেয়াদের বাকি দুই বছর দায়িত্ব পালন করবে দেশটি। পরিবেশ ও বন মন্ত্রণালয় সূত্রে এসব তথ্য জানা গেছে।

সূত্র জানায়, গত শুক্রবার ওশেনিয়া অঞ্চলের দেশ সামোয়ায় জিসিএফ বোর্ডের সভায় স্থায়ী সদস্য হিসেবে শেষ প্রতিনিধিত্ব করেছে বাংলাদেশ।

কোন দেশের প্রকল্প অনুমোদন দেওয়া হবে, কোন দেশের প্রকল্প অনুমোদন দেওয়া হবে না কিংবা কাকে কত টাকা দেওয়া হবে—এসব বিষয়ে চূড়ান্ত সিদ্ধান্ত নিয়ে থাকে সবুজ জলবায়ু তহবিলের ২৪ সদস্যবিশিষ্ট বোর্ড, যার মধ্যে ১২ জন সদস্য প্রতিনিধিত্ব করে উন্নত বিশ্ব থেকে, বাকি ১২ জন উন্নয়নশীল দেশ থেকে।

বাংলাদেশকে স্থায়ী সদস্য পদ থেকে সরিয়ে দেওয়ার কারণ খুঁজতে গিয়ে জানা গেল, এর পেছনে দুটি অজুহাত দাঁড় করানো হয়েছে। প্রথমত, বিশ্ব জলবায়ু সম্মেলনে রাষ্ট্রপ্রধানদের যোগদানের আগে যেসব সমঝোতা সভা অনুষ্ঠিত হয়, সেসব বৈঠকে স্বল্পোন্নত দেশের পক্ষ থেকে বাংলাদেশ সরকারের প্রতিনিধি কার্যকর ও যথাযথ ভূমিকা পালন করেন না। দ্বিতীয়ত, সরকার একেকবার একেক প্রতিনিধিকে জলবায়ু সম্মেলনে পাঠায়। এতে করে কোনো ধারাবাহিকতা থাকে না। এ দুটি যুক্তি দেখিয়ে বাংলাদেশের স্থায়ী সদস্য পদ বাতিল করা হয়েছে।

স্থায়ী সদস্য পদ থেকে বাংলাদেশকে এমন সময় বাদ দেওয়া হয়েছে, যখন সবুজ জলবায়ু তহবিল থেকে টাকা পেতে অপার সম্ভাবনা তৈরি হয়েছে সরকারের সামনে। এরই মধ্যে এ তহবিল থেকে বাংলাদেশের জন্য আট কোটি ডলার অনুমোদন দেওয়া হয়েছে, বাংলাদেশি মুদ্রায় যার পরিমাণ ৬৪০ কোটি টাকা। আরো আট কোটি ডলারের একটি প্রকল্প অনুমোদনের অপেক্ষায় রয়েছে। স্থায়ী সদস্য পদ হারানোয় ভবিষ্যতে এ তহবিল থেকে টাকা পাওয়া বেশ কঠিন হবে বলে মনে করছেন বিশেষজ্ঞরা। তাঁরা বলছেন, বাংলাদেশের জন্য এটি বড় ধাক্কা। স্থায়ী সদস্য হওয়ার সুবাদে এত দিন অন্য সদস্যদের সঙ্গে আপস কিংবা সমঝোতা করে বাংলাদেশের প্রকল্প বোর্ডে তোলা যেত। এখন থেকে আর সেই সুবিধা পাওয়া সম্ভব হবে না। স্থায়ী সদস্য হওয়ায় এ ধরনের উচ্চপর্যায়ের বৈঠকে নিজেদের ঝুঁকির কথা বলা যেত, মতামত দেওয়া যেত, সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়ার ক্ষমতাও ছিল। কিন্তু সদস্য পদ বাতিল হওয়ায় সব ধরনের সুযোগ-সুবিধা থেকে বঞ্চিত হবে সরকার।

এ ব্যাপারে পরিবেশ ও বন মন্ত্রণালয়ের ভারপ্রাপ্ত সচিব অমিত কুমার বাউল কালের কণ্ঠকে বলেন, ‘জিসিএফ বোর্ডে একেকবার একেক কর্মকর্তা গেলে কিংবা একজন গেল না কি পাঁচজন গেল, সেটি কোনো বিষয় নয়। যিনি বা যাঁরা যাচ্ছেন, তাঁরা তাঁদের কাজটি সঠিকভাবে করছেন কি না, সেটাই দেখার বিষয়। আমি মনে করি, আমাদের প্রতিনিধি তাঁর দায়িত্ব সঠিকভাবে পালন করেন। জিসিএফ বোর্ড যে সিদ্ধান্ত নিয়েছে সেটা তাদের বিষয়। তবে যে যুক্তি দেখিয়ে তারা বাংলাদেশের স্থায়ী সদস্য পদ বাতিল করেছে সেটা কোনো যুক্তি হতে পারে না। আসলে উন্নত বিশ্ব যেভাবে চায়, জিসিএফ বোর্ড সেভাবেই নির্ধারিত হয়। তা ছাড়া পরিবেশ ও বন মন্ত্রণালয়ে একজন সচিব কত বছরের জন্য থাকবেন, সেটা সরকার নির্ধারণ করে, এটা আমাদের বিষয় না। ’

অমিত কুমার বাউল আরো বলেন, জিসিএফ তহবিল থেকে টাকা পাওয়া অনেক কঠিন। তারা অনেক শর্ত জুড়ে দেয়। সেসব শর্ত পূরণ করতে সরকারকে অনেক সময় হিমশিম খেতে হয়। বাংলাদেশের প্রতিনিধি জিসিএফে যথাযথ দায়িত্ব পালন করেন না, প্রতিনিধিও ঘন ঘন বলায়—সদস্য পদ বাতিলের ক্ষেত্রে এটা কোনো যুক্তি হতে পারে না।

জানতে চাইলে বাংলাদেশ জলবায়ু পরিবর্তন ট্রাস্ট ফান্ডের ব্যবস্থাপনা পরিচালক (অতিরিক্ত সচিব) জ্ঞান রঞ্জন শীল কালের কণ্ঠকে সদস্য পদ হারানোর তথ্য নিশ্চিত করে বলেন, হ্যাঁ, বাংলাদেশ এবারই শেষবারের মতো স্থায়ী সদস্য হিসেবে দায়িত্ব পালন করবে। এরপর অন্য দেশ আসবে। তবে এর পেছনে কী কারণ সে বিষয়ে পরিবেশ ও বন সচিব দেশে ফিরে এলে জানা যাবে। তিনি এখন জিসিএফ বোর্ডের সভায় অংশ নিতে সামোয়াতে রয়েছেন।

পরিবেশ ও বন মন্ত্রণালয়ের সূত্র বলছে, ২০১৬ সালের আগ পর্যন্ত বাংলাদেশ ছিল জিসিএফ বোর্ডের সহযোগী সদস্য। গত বছর স্বল্পোন্নত ৪৮টি দেশের প্রতিনিধিরা এক সভায় বসে সিদ্ধান্ত নেন, জলবায়ু পরিবর্তনের কারণে বাংলাদেশ যেহেতু অন্যতম ঝুঁকিপূর্ণ দেশ, তাই ২০১৬ সাল থেকে পরবর্তী তিন বছর জিসিএফ বোর্ডে বাংলাদেশের প্রতিনিধি স্থায়ী সদস্য হিসেবে দায়িত্ব পালন করবেন। সেই আলোকে এবার স্বল্পোন্নত দেশগুলোর (এলডিসি) পক্ষ থেকে জিসিএফ বোর্ডে প্রতিনিধিত্ব করছিল বাংলাদেশ। কিন্তু হঠাৎ করে স্বল্পোন্নত দেশের ৪৭টি দেশ একমত হয়ে সিদ্ধান্ত নেয় যে আগামী দুই বছর এলডিসি থেকে প্রতিনিধিত্ব করবে আফ্রিকার দেশ মালাওয়ি। ফলে মাত্র এক বছর এ দায়িত্ব পালন করতে পারছে বাংলাদেশ।

এলডিসির ৪৭টি দেশের যুক্তি ছিল, বাংলাদেশ সরকার কখনো একজনকে ধারাবাহিকভাবে জলবায়ু সম্মেলন কিংবা জিসিএফ বোর্ডে পাঠাতে পারেনি। একেকবার একেক কর্মকর্তা উপস্থিত থেকেছেন। বিষয়টি তাদের পছন্দ হয়নি। এর প্রমাণ মিলল পরিবেশ ও বন মন্ত্রণালয়ের ওয়েবসাইট থেকে। তাতে দেখা গেছে, গত তিন বছরে পরিবেশ ও বন মন্ত্রণালয়ে তিনজন সচিব পরিবর্তন হয়েছেন। ২০১৪ সালে বাংলাদেশ যখন জিসিএফ বোর্ডের সহযোগী সদস্য ছিল, তখন মন্ত্রণালয়ের সচিব ছিলেন শফিকুর রহমান পাটওয়ারি (অবসরোত্তর ছুটিতে আছেন)। তখন তিনি জিসিএফ বোর্ডে সহযোগী সদস্যের দায়িত্ব পালন করেছিলেন। পরের বছর বোর্ড সভায় গেছেন তখনকার পরিবেশসচিব নজিবুর রহমান, এখন তিনি জাতীয় রাজস্ব বোর্ডের (এনবিআর) সিনিয়র সচিব। তারপর এ মন্ত্রণালয়ের সচিবের দায়িত্বে আসেন ড. কামাল উদ্দিন আহমেদ। গত ১৩ ডিসেম্বর থেকে শুরু হওয়া জিসিএফ বোর্ড সভায় অংশ নিয়েছেন তিনি। যদিও এক প্রজ্ঞাপনের মাধ্যমে গত সপ্তাহে তাঁকে স্বরাষ্ট্র মন্ত্রণালয়ে নিয়োগ দেওয়া হয়েছে। তাঁর জায়গায় পেট্রোবাংলার চেয়ারম্যান ইশতিয়াক আহমেদকে পরিবেশ ও বন মন্ত্রণালয়ে নিয়োগ দিয়েছে সরকার। উল্লেখ্য, পরিবেশ ও বন মন্ত্রণালয়ের সচিব পদাধিকারবলে জিসিএফ বোর্ডে প্রতিনিধিত্ব করেন।

এলডিসির ৪৭টি দেশের নেতারা মনে করেন, স্থায়ী সদস্যের ধারাবাহিকতা না থাকলে স্বল্পোন্নত দেশগুলোর দাবি যথাযথভাবে তুলে ধরা হয় না। তথ্যের পাশাপাশি জানারও ঘাটতি থাকে। তাঁদের মত ছিল, একজনকে এ পদের জন্য চূড়ান্ত নিয়োগ দেওয়া হোক। কিন্তু বাংলাদেশ সরকার সেটা করেনি। এ ছাড়া এলডিসির নেতারা মনে করেন, কয়েক বছর ধরে বিশ্ব জলবায়ু সম্মেলনে রাষ্ট্রপ্রধানদের অংশগ্রহণের আগে যেসব সমঝোতা সভা অনুষ্ঠিত হয়েছে, সেগুলোতে স্থায়ী সদস্য হিসেবে বাংলাদেশ সরকারের প্রতিনিধি কার্যকর ভূমিকা রাখতে পারেননি।

জানতে চাইলে ট্রান্সপারেন্সি ইন্টারন্যাশনাল বাংলাদেশের (টিআইবি) জলবায়ু অর্থায়ন সেলের পরিচালক জাকির হোসেন খান কালের কণ্ঠকে বলেন, জিসিএফ বোর্ডের স্থায়ী সদস্য থাকার সুবাদে বাংলাদেশের যে অবস্থান ছিল, সামনের দিনগুলোতে সেই অবস্থান থাকবে না। এতে করে দেশের অধিকার ক্ষুণ্ন হবে। সদস্য হিসেবে বোর্ডে উপস্থিত থাকলে সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়ার ক্ষমতা থাকে, কথা বলার সুযোগ তৈরি হয়, দেশের কথা বলা যায়। নিজেদের অবস্থানও তুলে ধরা যায়। কিন্তু এখন এসব সুবিধা পাবে না বাংলাদেশ। এটা বড় ধরনের ধাক্কা। ন্যাশনাল ডেজিগনেটেড অথরিটি (এনডিএ) হিসেবে দায়িত্বে থাকা অর্থনৈতিক সম্পর্ক বিভাগও (ইআরডি) তাদের দায়িত্ব পালন করেনি বলে অভিযোগ আছে।

পরিবেশ ও বন মন্ত্রণালয়ের সূত্র বলছে, সবুজ জলবায়ু তহবিল বাংলাদেশের জন্য অত্যন্ত গুরুত্বপূর্ণ ও জরুরি। জলবায়ু পরিবর্তনের কারণে ঝুঁকিতে থাকা উপকূলীয় এলাকায় বসবাসরত দুই কোটি মানুষের জীবন-জীবিকার জন্য এ তহবিল থেকে অর্থ পেতে জোর চেষ্টা চালিয়ে যাচ্ছে সরকার। মন্ত্রণালয়ের কর্মকর্তারা বলছেন, ২০০৯ সালে ডেনমার্কের রাজধানী কোপেনহেগেনে বিশ্ব জলবায়ু সম্মেলনে (কপ ১৫) প্রথম সবুজ জলবায়ু তহবিল গঠনের বিষয়ে আলোচনা শুরু হয়। ওই সম্মেলনেই অংশগ্রহণকারী সব দেশ তহবিল গঠনে একমত হয়। পরের বছর মেক্সিকোর কানকুনে বিশ্ব জলবায়ু সম্মেলনে (কপ ১৬) এ তহবিল গঠন করা হয়। শিল্পোন্নত দেশগুলো তহবিলে ১০০ কোটি ডলার দেওয়ার প্রতিশ্রুতি দিয়েছে এবং প্রতিবছর এ তহবিল থেকে বাংলাদেশসহ উন্নয়নশীল দেশগুলোকে ২৫০ থেকে ৩০০ কোটি ডলার ছাড় করার ঘোষণা রয়েছে। গত বছর থেকে জিসিএফ তহবিলের অর্থছাড় শুরুও হয়েছে।

বিশেষজ্ঞরা বলছেন, জিসিএফ থেকে টাকা পাওয়ার অনেক সুযোগ ও সম্ভাবনা রয়েছে। সরকারের এসব সুযোগ কাজে লাগানো উচিত। কিন্তু স্থায়ী সদস্য পদ হারানোয় পরিস্থিতি কঠিন হয়ে গেল।

সূত্র বলছে, সম্প্রতি যুক্তরাজ্যের সরকারি সংস্থা ডিএফআইডি বাংলাদেশের জন্য বরাদ্দ করা বাংলাদেশ ক্লাইমেট চেঞ্জ রেজিলিয়ান্স ফান্ড (বিসিসিআরএফ) থেকে এক কোটি ৩০ লাখ পাউন্ড ফেরত নিয়ে গেছে। উন্নয়ন সহযোগীদের সঙ্গে শর্তে বনিবনা না হওয়ায় বিসিসিআরএফ এখন বন্ধের মুখে। তা ছাড়া জলবায়ু পরিবর্তনের ঝুঁকি মোকাবিলায় আরেক তহবিল বাংলাদেশ ক্লাইমেট চেঞ্জ ট্রাস্ট ফান্ডে (বিসিসিটি) নানা অনিয়ম ও দুর্নীতির অভিযোগ ওঠায় তাতে অর্থ বরাদ্দ কমিয়ে দিয়েছেন অর্থমন্ত্রী আবুল মাল আবদুল মুহিত। আগামী অর্থবছরেও এ খাতে কম অর্থ বরাদ্দ দেবেন বলে আভাস দিয়েছেন তিনি।

Over 900 acres at Badarpur plant, ash flies in face of pollution fight
Richi Verma| TNN | May 10, 2016, 12.28 AM IST
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-of-pollution-fight/articleshow/52196227.cms

New Delhi: Spread across nearly 900 acres, the fly-ash pond at Badarpur thermal power plant is a green anomaly. Despite the thousands of plants growing around, there is little one can do to prevent the fly ash from being dispersed by the wind. Experts have pointed a finger at it as being a factor in the city's polluted air, and plant officials are keen to have the ash utilised, but there is too much of it, having accumulated over four decades, with some dunes reaching as high as 15 metres from the ground.

Fly ash is a by-product of coal burnt to generate power. When the Badarpur thermal power plant was started in the early 1970s, no one foresaw any problems because the plant was surrounded by barren land. From the '80s, however, slums and unauthorised buildings started coming up in the vicinity. Being very minute, experts said, fly ash tends to remain airborne for a very long period and can lead to serious health problems when inhaled.

"Despite using water sprinklers and planting thousands of Ipomoea plants, there is no way to stop fly ash from being airborne, especially during dust storms," conceded an official of the National Thermal Power Corporation, which runs the plant. At present, there are approximately 250 lakh metric tonnes of fly ash in the pond.

Clearing the fly ash is a priority, and NTPC said that in the last few years, the total ash utilisation of the plant has been more than 100%. "The ash is being used in the laying of the Delhi-Agra Highway and for ash-brick manufacturing," said a senior official. "In 2015-16, the total ash utilisation was 6.68 lakh MT against the production of 5.12 lakh MT."

NTPC is banking heavily on the eastern peripheral road project to deplete the ash. "If the project materialises, it can use up all the accumulated fly ash," said a top official. "The requirement for such a project would be 280 lakh metric tonnes. We are able to use the newly generated fly ash, but the pond has 45 years of collected ash. We aim to have the whole quantity used within two years."

To make the ash more useful, an officer explained that the Badarpur plant installed Electro Static Precipitators to collect the fly ash in a dry condition, which is preferred by cement industry for use in construction material. The coarser ash, significantly less than dry fly ash in quantity, is discharged into the pond."

Almost 90% of the fly-ash pond area has been developed into a green belt with the planting of Ipomoea and other shrubs. The area is criss-crossed by pipes of a sprinkler system that moistens the dusty ash and keeps it from being blown away. There are also sand filters to ensure minimum fly ash becomes airborne.

Because of the fly ash problem, there have been demands for closing down the plant. On its own, it is also facing a bleak financial future, and insiders say operating it might not be viable beyond five years. "The power distribution companies only schedule purchases from us in peak seasons, specially summer. Else, they schedule power from Badarpur barely 60% of the time," said a plant official. Absorbing the fixed costs for the rest of the time doesn't make for a good bottom line.

RELATED

I agree - maybe my statement was not correct. I was not implying anything or agreeing with the Govt.

I hope you're not accusing me of being a 'Chamcha' of Hasina, are you? :-)

You put me on the spot about making a 'declaration' when I simply reported the govt. press release that the govt. had reached that 15 Gigawatt milestone. The 40 Gigawatt figure is a future milestone, not a present one.

It really isn't my job to make calculations or offer opinions about the Govts. press releases. The Govt. could care less and neither do I. I am not obligated to do it by any means. And neither do I need to offer an explanation to you or anyone else on this forum on any post I make, provided I follow the rules set by the mods, and whose judgment I trust completely.

I come here to the Bangladesh forum to let off some steam once in a while and socially interact with intelligent minds. It is no more than a hobby. Interaction depends on civilized behavior and respectful engagement. If you fail to follow those tenets of civility and respect - then people will simply put you on their ignore lists and not interact with you any longer.

No one in the Bangladesh Govt. takes or will take anything we say here on this forum seriously - no matter the amount of your disagreement with the Govt. We should keep that in mind every time we post.

I am not going to answer your Chamcha claim by me because it will derail the thread. Read my post again. I said do not trust the politicians because many do not just know the real need of electricity. A country and its people must think of the need that will go up in future. Even today, we need at least 40,000 or 50,000 mW of power. But, our production is less than 10,000 mW.

Power is needed MOSTLY to operate the (future) railway trains, mills, factories, shops, shopping centers, business offices and hundred others. Electricity need to illuminate the houses is not that high comparing to the need in the industrial sector. If we want to industrialize tomorrow, we have to build power plants today. It must not be the other way around. It is not that we build hundred industries this year, and build the needed power plants ten years later.

I am not going to answer your Chamcha claim by me because it will derail the thread. Read my post again. I said do not trust the politicians because many do not just know the real need of electricity. A country and its people must think of the need that will go up in future. Even today, we need at least 40,000 or 50,000 mW of power. But, our production is less than 10,000 mW.

Power is needed MOSTLY to operate the (future) railway trains, mills, factories, shops, shopping centers, business offices and hundred others. Electricity need to illuminate the houses is not that high comparing to the need in the industrial sector. If we want to industrialize tomorrow, we have to build power plants today. It must not be the other way around. It is not that we build hundred industries this year, and build the needed power plants ten years later.

For the sake of not lengthening the argument, agreed.

It was not the gist of your arguments I had an issue with. It was how you verbally attack people who don't agree with your viewpoint. First @BDforever , and then me. One must respect others opinions, even though one might disagree. And having a sense of humor helps too. Why be a sourpuss?

But as I said - civility and respect...

Back
Top Bottom