What's new

Long march against Rampal project

Bilalbhai,

I have no quarrel with your hypothesis. But the fact is at least for the next decade or so BD would need thermal power as it is the only power which is cheap and reliable enough. Now there are three options:

1. You set up plants in Sundarbans
2. You set up plants elsewhere in BD.
3. You import power from India.

Maybe between you, Maroofbhai and bluesky you guys being actual BD-ites can tell us what is the best solution. As an outsider, I can only accept your judgement, sir!

Regards

The question is whether you can place a third-rate polluting coal-based electricity generation plant in the middle of an ecologically sensitive world-heritage site.

Ain't happening. Too much publicity of the wrong kind. Case closed.
This is Bangladesh. If the power plant is not built close to Sundarban, it is not getting built elsewhere. Means one less power plant and less electricity. And we're a poor country. Coal based power plants are the cheapest option for us to generate electricity.

I'd rather not do it unless very necessary
Good solution.
Power generation is important. With all due respect to India, in power sector, we cannot be dependent on India. I'd rather have 10+ Coal based power plant in Sunderban.

Bangladesh should continue building Rampal project, but expertise needed for environment planning. All concerned authorities should cooperate each other to avoid area from pollution , just need proper planning and plant much tress around there as possible. Project like these happens in the world, just you need proper expertise and coordination to solve issues.
Protest is not solution, instead doing protest, help government to complete the Project and send them suggestions through proper channels when needed. You have parliament for this.

Bilalbhai,

I have no quarrel with your hypothesis. But the fact is at least for the next decade or so BD would need thermal power as it is the only power which is cheap and reliable enough. Now there are three options:

Maybe between you, Maroofbhai and bluesky you guys being actual BD-ites can tell us what is the best solution. As an outsider, I can only accept your judgement, sir!

Regards

Bangladesh has exceeded 15000 megawatts of power generation recently which more or less matches our current demand.

No power-plant was ever placed even close to the Sundarban areas, it is an ecologically sensitive location.

There are plenty of other areas where power-plants can be built, currently there are a lot of rental barge-mounted power plants very close to power-demand areas. These burn either fuel oil or natural gas. If there is demand, then more rental plants can be installed before making longer term power demand fulfillment.

Coal-mounted power stations are relatively rare in Bangladesh. As seen from the table below, only 250 MW is coal-fired compared to 13000 Mega Watts plus generated of all types of fuel.

Installed Capacity of BPDB Power Plants as on December 2016

Fuel Type Capacity(Unit) Total(%)

Coal 250.00 MW 1.91 %
Gas 8303.00 MW 63.41 %
HFO 2684.00 MW 20.5 %
HSD 1028.00 MW 7.85 %
Hydro 230.00 MW 1.76 %
Imported 600.00 MW 4.58 %
Total 13095.00 MW 100 %

Bangladesh has exceeded 15000 megawatts of power generation recently which more or less matches our current demand.
We'd need to generate around 50000MWs in 20 years. If you don't build power plants now you won't be able to match the growing demand.

Bilalbhai,

Gas is the ideal source for BD. But it is a good deal more expensive than coal. Your existing gas reserves, I suspect are enough to keep your existing plants running. I may be wrong tho'. Now the question is how do you fuel your growth, Philia bhai quotes a demand for 50 GW going forward. That will bring us back to the three options that I had laid out.

Regards

Bilalbhai,

Gas is the ideal source for BD. But it is a good deal more expensive than coal. Your existing gas reserves, I suspect are enough to keep your existing plants running. I may be wrong tho'. Now the question is how do you fuel your growth, Philia bhai quotes a demand for 50 GW going forward. That will bring us back to the three options that I had laid out.

Regards
Philia bhai sounds weird

সুন্দরবন ধ্বংস করে রামপাল বিদ্যুৎকেন্দ্র চাই না রামপাল প্রকল্প এবং সুন্দরবন সম্পর্কে আরো জানতে ভিজিট করুনঃ
www.sundarbans.cbsbd.orgSee translation

the sundarbans archive « by center…
SUNDARBANS.CBSBD.ORG
ramphal.jpg

Bilalbhai,

Regards

Bangladesh will be importing LNG from the middle east and necessary infrastructure is already coming on line for this. I am happy about the planning and measures being put in place.

IN FACT, THE PROCESS BEGAN IN 2004, DURING THE FIRST EVER VISIT OF H.H THE AMIR, SHEIKH HAMAD BIN KHALIFA AL THANI, LED A HIGH POWERED DELEGATION OF QATAR AND PAID A STATE VISIT TO BANGLADESH.

THE QATARI SIDE OFFERED TO BUILD AN L.N.G TERMINAL OFF CHITTAGONG PORT, WORTH US DOLLARS 2 BILLION, AND PROMISED BANGLADESH THAT THEY WOULD SUPPLY LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS , TRANSPORTED BY SPECIALLY SEA VESSELS, TO CATER FOR ALL OUR REQUIREMENTS.

HOWEVER, THE UN DEMOCRATIC POLITICAL EVENTS THAT TOOK PLACE IN BANGLADESH SUBSEQUENTLY, PUT MANY OF THE QATARI PROPOSALS IN THE DEEP FREEZER, HOPE THEY SOON REVIVE.

I am surprised to hear even the present power demand can be met only with a 15,000 mW installed capacity.

I am surprised to hear even the present power demand can be met only with a 15,000 mW installed capacity.
For a country of 160 million, 15gW power generation is really pathetic. And obviously there are still many people without access to electricity. I don't really know how this much is enough. In fact our generation capacity needs to be multiplied by several times

For a country of 160 million, 15gW power generation is really pathetic. And obviously there are still many people without access to electricity. I don't really know how this much is enough. In fact our generation capacity needs to be multiplied by several times

Just going by the declarations of the present govt. 15 Gigawatts is okay....I guess.Only thing that saved Bangladesh was fluorescent tubes and CFL bulbs which consume one sixth of the energy.

But that is not the last word - more fridges and aircons are being bought in droves as lifestyles improve. Think about how much electricity those consume....

By the way - there are two million fridges and just as many aircons being made locally per year by various local brands, which meets may be 90% of local demand. It's time we started exporting to larger neighboring countries like Pakistan and India.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom