What's new

London Olympics: Silver-medallist shooter Vijay Kumar wants to quit Indian

Neuro

BANNED
Reaction score
London Olympics: Silver-medallist shooter Vijay Kumar wants to quit Indian army

shoot.gif

New Delhi: London Olympic silver-medalist shooter Vijay Kumar on Monday said that he wants to leave Indian Army as he has not been given a single promotion in last six years despite good performances at the national and international levels.

Unheralded Vijay, who is a subedar with 16 Dogra Regiment, provided the silver lining for India in London Games last week, clinching the second place in the 25m rapid fire pistol event.

"Indian army helped me in shooting by giving me coaching facilities and providing I with pistol and ammunition but I need money for my daily needs," Vijay told `PTI Bhasha` from London.

"Since 2006 I won many national and international medals that include 2010 Commonwealth Games` three gold and one silver medal. But I have not been recommended by my seniors. I have not given any promotion or honorary award or any other kind of facility," he added.

Six-time national champion, Vijay had won two silver at ISSF`s World Cup. And though he missed out on a medal in rapid fire event at Guangzhou Asiad, he won two bronze in air pistol and center fire pistol. He also won gold at Doha Asian Games.

"I have been continuously performing well in shooting, but I have not given any reward. I am still a subedar," complained Vijay.

Asked if he has written to his seniors about this, Vijay said, "Nothing is given in written. It is done automatically. If somebody is performing well, he is recommended by seniors."

Himachal Pradesh government has announced Rs 1 crore for Vijay but he is not satisfied with it as he is not been given any state awards so far.

"After 2010 CWG, Haryana, Punjab and other states gave promotion to their players but I have not received any award from my state where Parshuram and Himachal Gaurav award is given to those players who perform well at national and international level," he said.
==

Government should give recognition in time for outstanding players, STOP worshiping cricket.

I don't think your decision for quitting army is right. You are hero. It is the army that have built you. I am sure they will give u everything what u deserve. You have made whole nation proud.

He has earned enough money by winning medal, I dont think he will be able to focus on army life now.

Its best to let him go from the army.

He has earned enough money by winning medal, I dont think he will be able to focus on army life now.

Its best to let him go from the army.
I don't think Olympics medal comes with cash price. Its the country that rewards him and by the looks of it he surely hit the jackpot.But I think IA should seriously consider him giving a promotion as athletes in PSUs & other private companies rise up in ranks very quickly.

Well he can always strt coaching other youth as he trains.

He already got the promised job of a permanent seat of a coach as announced by GOI last month. I think hed serve the country better there.

What a dumb b******d. He is right that he was not recognized properly but picked a wrong time to wash dirty linen. He should have waited a little bit longer to cash in on all the goodwill. I pity him.

I don't think Olympics medal comes with cash price. Its the country that rewards him and by the looks of it he surely hit the jackpot.But I think IA should seriously consider him giving a promotion as athletes in PSUs & other private companies rise up in ranks very quickly.

He should be given proper reward and promotion...he deserve it all....In India nothing moves with out hard stand which he has taken now...

What a dumb b******d. He is right that he was not recognized properly but picked a wrong time to wash dirty linen. He should have waited a little bit longer to cash in on all the goodwill. I pity him.

I think this is the right time for him after 30 days people will forget about him and Olympic....like..earlier happened to him....abhi Loha garam hai.....

He is right in complaining...
Those with high ranking relatives must be getting fast promotoions and he has been kept at lower rank despite good performance..
Failure by indian army in recognising his services....

Very bad decision by him. He should serve army while he want army to serve him.

Very bad decision by him. He should serve army while he want army to serve him.

He is claiming his deserved recognition. While Dhonis and Mohanlals are given the rank of lieutenant colonel (albeit in a territorial army), why do the army need to keep him just as a Subedar??

If promoted to the officer core do he have to undergo training at IMA.

He should join IPL or Bollywood if he just wish to earn money :)

On serious note we dont pay well to those who perform well and thatswhy peoples in our countries dont take sports seriously and we cannot blame them if they leave the countries for better opportunities. Peoples need much more than just wah wah

Well I dont support his move many of newcomer comes up to me with such kind of request. Personal achievement has nothing to do with Professional Life. Promotions happen on their time considering all requisite conditions. He was Sepoy became Subedar ofcourse he is getting due work but suppose if I go to my manager and say I have won a big event in world and made me Manager then that is not possible. Request may be considered at due time.

^ well peoples hope for reward after achieving success . I guess he want some cash reward for this medal

Back
Top Bottom