What's new

London Olympic 2012-discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Olympics are over and the countries of the sub-continent collectively could only muster 2 Silvers and 4 Bronze medals (all to India) with a population bordering on 1.6 Billion people!!!. in comparison the tiny country of Trinidad and Tabago won 1 Gold with a population of a few million and similarly the east african state of Uganda won a Gold medal.

In any kind of Sport, no one remembers who came in second or third, its all about being No.1. there is someting wrong here on the sub-continent. we dont have our priorities straight - just look at the Pakistani contingent - 16 hockey players, 1-shooter, 1-athlete and 1-swimmer (all wild card enteries, thanks to the IOC) and there were 26 officials sent to the Olympics to 'free-load' for 2 weeks on government expense.

i recall interviews of various gold-medal winners when asked 'how long did you train for this event', in most cases the answer was between 2 to 3 years of hard training to compete in the Olympics - 2 to 3 years!!!. imagine the Dedication, the Motivation, the Discipline. i dont know the training habits of athletes from India, BD, SL, etc but in Pakistan, the hockey team (which was our best chance to garner a medal) assembled 2 months before the Olympics for Training - 2 months compared to 2-3 years -how can one train for only 2 months before going to the 'Greatest Sports Show on Earth'......and the results are looking right at us in our face.

Sure we were able to win 3 pool matches and draw one but in the 'cruch' matches we were out-scored 11-1 and our Goal-Keeper was supposedly the best athlete on the team - we were inferior to our opponets in Fitness, Stamina, Strategy and Match Tactics. it almost seemed like we just wake-up, put on our kits and take the field.

Then we had the audacity to blame our defeats on the colour of the astroturf or desoturf - we are not used to the color 'Blue' and the second excuse made by the manager and coach of our team (in their defense), 'oh atleast we were better than India' - what a copout!. sure India did not win a single match but was this our Olympic Objective? finish ahead of India and all will be well.!!!

Our last Gold medal was won in LA'84. i was fortunate enough to be in the US at that time and saw the match in front of a roaring ex-pat pakistani community as we beat W-Germany 2-1 with a last-minute effort by Kalimullah (individual effort in the best asian style of hockey). since then except for the surprise win in the 92 World Cup in Australia (once again a brilliant solo effort by Shabaz Sr) we won 2-1 against Australia, the winners cupboard is bare and will remain bare if we continue to not show interest in what is our 'National Game'. Cricket and the money behind it has taken over the sports culture in Pakistan. everything else has been left by the wayside.

Everyone will be surprised to know that all our hockey players (90%) hail from one town - Gojra in Faisalabad Distt. the high school in Gojra has produced something like 68 Olympians and the young players continue to play their hockey on natural turf - there is no synthetic surface available at the 'Cradle of Hockey'. in Pakistan there are less than 10 international standard hockey pitches, in contrast in the Netherlands and Germany, they have 2,500 pitches. each club has its own pitch - its no wonder that the Champions are now emerging from those countries (they played the final in 2012).

We are stuck in the 'Asian Style' of hockey. dribble the ball past your opponent, individual efforts, No Teamwork. the europeans and the aussies have superior hockey skills, their passing, trapping and penalty corner routines are nearly perfect. they have 'plays' direct and in-direct for their penalty corner drills - whilst our penalty corner expert kept on driving, drag-flicking the ball straight at the goal-keeper who kept on blocking it - no imagination in our play and drills.

The game of Hockey has completely changed but we are stuck in a 'time-warp', refusing to change our style, our behaviour, our outlook towards the game. Corruption and Nepotism has destroyed the game. we dont have a league system where young and budding players can hone their skills, our coaches are not 'certified' coaches, sure they are all ex-olympians, some with glittering pasts, but the modern game is 100% different than when India (8 Golds) and Pakistan (3 Golds) dominated all levels of the sport - Commonwealth, Asian,Olympic and World Cups. Heck Pakistan introduced the prestigious Champions Trophy and went on to win the first 3 titles. since then zilch!

If we dont change our system, invest in international standard infrastructure, train our coaches in the New Hockey, have a development program for our hockey players, invest in the 'Cradle of Hockey', soon enough it will all end.

Is Anybody Listening!!!

So the Olympics are over and the countries of the sub-continent collectively could only muster 2 Silvers and 4 Bronze medals (all to India) with a population bordering on 1.6 Billion people!!!. in comparison the tiny country of Trinidad and Tabago won 1 Gold with a population of a few million and similarly the east african state of Uganda won a Gold medal.

In any kind of Sport, no one remembers who came in second or third, its all about being No.1. there is someting wrong here on the sub-continent. we dont have our priorities straight - just look at the Pakistani contingent - 16 hockey players, 1-shooter, 1-athlete and 1-swimmer (all wild card enteries, thanks to the IOC) and there were 26 officials sent to the Olympics to 'free-load' for 2 weeks on government expense.

i recall interviews of various gold-medal winners when asked 'how long did you train for this event', in most cases the answer was between 2 to 3 years of hard training to compete in the Olympics - 2 to 3 years!!!. imagine the Dedication, the Motivation, the Discipline. i dont know the training habits of athletes from India, BD, SL, etc but in Pakistan, the hockey team (which was our best chance to garner a medal) assembled 2 months before the Olympics for Training - 2 months compared to 2-3 years -how can one train for only 2 months before going to the 'Greatest Sports Show on Earth'......and the results are looking right at us in our face.

Sure we were able to win 3 pool matches and draw one but in the 'cruch' matches we were out-scored 11-1 and our Goal-Keeper was supposedly the best athlete on the team - we were inferior to our opponets in Fitness, Stamina, Strategy and Match Tactics. it almost seemed like we just wake-up, put on our kits and take the field.

Then we had the audacity to blame our defeats on the colour of the astroturf or desoturf - we are not used to the color 'Blue' and the second excuse made by the manager and coach of our team (in their defense), 'oh atleast we were better than India' - what a copout!. sure India did not win a single match but was this our Olympic Objective? finish ahead of India and all will be well.!!!

Our last Gold medal was won in LA'84. i was fortunate enough to be in the US at that time and saw the match in front of a roaring ex-pat pakistani community as we beat W-Germany 2-1 with a last-minute effort by Kalimullah (individual effort in the best asian style of hockey). since then except for the surprise win in the 92 World Cup in Australia (once again a brilliant solo effort by Shabaz Sr) we won 2-1 against Australia, the winners cupboard is bare and will remain bare if we continue to not show interest in what is our 'National Game'. Cricket and the money behind it has taken over the sports culture in Pakistan. everything else has been left by the wayside.

Everyone will be surprised to know that all our hockey players (90%) hail from one town - Gojra in Faisalabad Distt. the high school in Gojra has produced something like 68 Olympians and the young players continue to play their hockey on natural turf - there is no synthetic surface available at the 'Cradle of Hockey'. in Pakistan there are less than 10 international standard hockey pitches, in contrast in the Netherlands and Germany, they have 2,500 pitches. each club has its own pitch - its no wonder that the Champions are now emerging from those countries (they played the final in 2012).

We are stuck in the 'Asian Style' of hockey. dribble the ball past your opponent, individual efforts, No Teamwork. the europeans and the aussies have superior hockey skills, their passing, trapping and penalty corner routines are nearly perfect. they have 'plays' direct and in-direct for their penalty corner drills - whilst our penalty corner expert kept on driving, drag-flicking the ball straight at the goal-keeper who kept on blocking it - no imagination in our play and drills.

The game of Hockey has completely changed but we are stuck in a 'time-warp', refusing to change our style, our behaviour, our outlook towards the game. Corruption and Nepotism has destroyed the game. we dont have a league system where young and budding players can hone their skills, our coaches are not 'certified' coaches, sure they are all ex-olympians, some with glittering pasts, but the modern game is 100% different than when India (8 Golds) and Pakistan (3 Golds) dominated all levels of the sport - Commonwealth, Asian,Olympic and World Cups. Heck Pakistan introduced the prestigious Champions Trophy and went on to win the first 3 titles. since then zilch!

If we dont change our system, invest in international standard infrastructure, train our coaches in the New Hockey, have a development program for our hockey players, invest in the 'Cradle of Hockey', soon enough it will all end.

Is Anybody Listening!!!

you wrote this or just copy pasted?

Well people speaking about British Olympics sports, Opening and Closing Ceremonies -

Quotes from the Links: "thank goodness it wasn't just me, I thought it was utter pants and a horrible embarrassment. Plump middle-aged matrons - with one glaring exception - doing kareoke on taxi cabs... who were they supposed to be? Oh dear, it was just so, so awful. What a shame......

Another Comment, Ken Thomas: "Couldn't agree more, I turned off once the Spice Girls appeared. A sorry end to a great games. "

Robert Grey says: "What we really needed was some scantily clad nurses being chased around the running track by a pervy looking Benny Hill lookalike and John Cleese doing a rendition of the German sketch from Fawltey Towers just to make sure we never have to host the Olympics again."

A few more , "Did Danny Boyle blow the budget on the opening ceremony?! it did not feel like a party."

:"repeating the opening tracks (Pet Shop Boys, Blur, etc) because the athletes took too long to come into the stadium was poor, but this was followed by a Kate Bush song where she didn't appear in person, and then a backing track for Bowie but no Bowie in person was a shocker. "

If this
Rumour had it that they were allowed to leave early if they traded in their medals on the way out, with games organisers hoping to save a few quid on precious metals ahead of Rio in 2016.
is true...thats horrendous! SERIOUSLY the athletics who had competed just few hrs before the closing ceremony in the marathon...I would like to see 1 of the dumb organizer do that IF they want to leave early if they are i don't know tired from the marathon and asked to leave his/her medal behind ?

whats your problem? its for me to know and you to find out?

Actually I liked your that post that is why I asked that question and expecting a simple answer from you because you were bashing India in other thread but your focus was bad performance of Pakistan in that post.

But your answer was again as usual.

This is the Olympics and Chinese don't get to play by Chinese rules. Train your coaches to teach their players to play in the spirit expected of them, even if that means other Chinese may lose as a result!

Of course we are playing international rules and this time around the badminton's format sucks! Train your brain thoroughly to understand the spirit and consequence of the format and rule of the matches. 1 indonesian and 2 S Korean teams were "disqualified" too! If the format is perfect, why these idiots have to think about changing it in the coming games! You are terribly slow to understand!!

Is Anybody Listening!!!

mate, if u have written this, i really think it's the best analysis of Pakistani state of affairs in Olympics. I think Pakistan is having some problems as far as Olympics is concerned, & i think until & unless these things are changed i am of the opinion that Pakistan cannot win medals in Olympics:

1. Concentrating on Hockey only for giving a medal in Olympics is a serious flaw, the best nations compete there & both India & Pak Playing the old fashion hockey cannot aspire to win medal there.

2. Even if Pak makes a good hockey team than at best u can get 1 gold in Olympics, will that suffice for a population of 18 crores?? Pak is itself restricting it's medal prospect by concentrating on only 1 sport.

3. Pak should concentrate on other Olympic sports as well, u can see that India is now concentrating seriously on atleast 5 sports which have become a sure shot for atleast a medal - Archery, Badminton, Boxing, Wrestling, shooting. Apart from these 5 sports India is hitting hard for making more sports a medal prospect - tennis, weightlifting, athletics, rowing (these are in our second best bet for medals). yes we have got currently only 6 medals but in a decade or so it will pay a rich dividends to India.

mate, if u have written this, i really think it's the best analysis of Pakistani state of affairs in Olympics. I think Pakistan is having some problems as far as Olympics is concerned, & i think until & unless these things are changed i am of the opinion that Pakistan cannot win medals in Olympics:

1. Concentrating on Hockey only for giving a medal in Olympics is a serious flaw, the best nations compete there & both India & Pak Playing the old fashion hockey cannot aspire to win medal there.

2. Even if Pak makes a good hockey team than at best u can get 1 gold in Olympics, will that suffice for a population of 18 crores?? Pak is itself restricting it's medal prospect by concentrating on only 1 sport.

3. Pak should concentrate on other Olympic sports as well, u can see that India is now concentrating seriously on atleast 5 sports which have become a sure shot for atleast a medal - Archery, Badminton, Boxing, Wrestling, shooting. Apart from these 5 sports India is hitting hard for making more sports a medal prospect - tennis, weightlifting, athletics, rowing (these are in our second best bet for medals). yes we have got currently only 6 medals but in a decade or so it will pay a rich dividends to India.

Good Luck to you but in a decade the standard for winning gold will be much higher. there are no sure shots. your archery womens world champ didnt win anything - did she now.

Good Luck to you but in a decade the standard for winning gold will be much higher. there are no sure shots. your archery womens world champ didnt win anything - did she now.

I replied to ur post as humbly as possible & gave suggestion which i think can make changes for good, why r u taking it as a taunt on the Pakistani Olympics performance??

Of course we are playing international rules and this time around the badminton's format sucks!... If the format is perfect, why these idiots have to think about changing it in the coming games! You are terribly slow to understand!!
I do understand. Chinese and others have to alter their usual group-oriented habits to comply with the rules and spirit of the Olympics.

I do understand. Chinese and others have to alter their usual group-oriented habits to comply with the rules and spirit of the Olympics.

You dont have the tiniest clue of what's happening in the badminton games in the Olympics. Why did they change the format in 2012? When you see the county is "China" "disqualification" your old racist worms start to squirm!

and one has to wonder why cases such as the Tom Daley re-dive and the Philip Hindes deliberate crash to force a restart raised so much eyebrows.

Apparently, the "Rules and Spirit of the Olympics" are made to suit the occasion in the West, progress and economical well being of Asian countries is an anathema to Western psyche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom