What's new

Lollywood losing lustre

Ahmad

Reaction score
CENTRAL/S.ASIA
Lollywood losing lustre

Lollywood - Pakistan's film industry - is facing its worst crisis in decades.

In its heyday during the 1970s and 80s, the film industry based in the city of Lahore churned an estimated 200 films per year, but now it produces a much smaller fraction of that.

Crippling competition from Bollywood, India's mult-billion dollar film industry, and a dramatic shortage of funds are blamed for the downturn in fortunes.

Hashem Ahelbarra reports from Lahore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick to the topic please. And what exactly is this thread doing in the PW section anyway?

What kind of article is this, the real distraction was in the 80's when Zia destroyed the industry but it is picking up now. A new bill to renew the industry has been signed.

Fun fact:

If it wasn't for Zia ul Haq's pointless Sharia-ization of Pakistan, Lollywood would be neck and neck with Bollywood.

Another fun fact:

Shaan lives down the street from my house in Pakistan. He has awesome guard dogs.

well to be honest lollywood can never compete with bollywood. we are not very open society and religious values are still given enough attention. you know the terms used for lollywood actresses in pakistan, dont you?
in india, on the other hand, you get respect for dancing and showing off your sex. can that ever happen in pakistan, islamisation or no islamisation? in 60s to 80s indian society was quite similar to ours but they changed a lot from 90s onward.
here in pakistan, families cant even think of marrying within lollywood families. correct me if i am wrong. in india its quite opposite.
a proof of wat i am saying is our music industry which is far better than indias in my view. only bec you dont have to defy your religious limits.

well peoples in Pakistan consider Lollywood industry a job of low class peoples so they never invest in film industry. There is a very famous saying in Pakistan "Movies waghera to kanjaro aur Marasiyoun ka kaam hota hai". This word will never let our Lollywood industry grow unless peoples stop thinking negative.

In india Music is a part of their culture/religion. Dancing is considered a matter of presige so they have a reason to grow but here in Pakistan its totally inverse. Unless the mentality of our peoples is not changed..... our Film industry will never grow

Why would Pakistan have named their film industry Lollywood?

I mean seriously, come on..

I thought the name Bollywood was stupid, but Lollywood here takes the cake.

bollywood is nothing but a pile of sh1t, it doesnt produce a single good movie, some of them which are good are copies of hollywood.

lollywood should not try to follow bollywood, it can learn from meaningful pak dramas and inject some young talents this this single handedly in short time would turn lollywood in its favour and dump bollywood. it doesnt need to use bollywood stuff to compete it.

Indian Drama's and bollywood movies never ever beat Pakistani Drama's. Pakistani Drama serials Rocks!!!! i havnt see any single even not a single good story or good drama from Indian side.

well to be honest lollywood can never compete with bollywood. we are not very open society and religious values are still given enough attention. you know the terms used for lollywood actresses in pakistan, dont you?
in india, on the other hand, you get respect for dancing and showing off your sex. can that ever happen in pakistan, islamisation or no islamisation? in 60s to 80s indian society was quite similar to ours but they changed a lot from 90s onward.
here in pakistan, families cant even think of marrying within lollywood families. correct me if i am wrong. in india its quite opposite.
a proof of wat i am saying is our music industry which is far better than indias in my view. only bec you dont have to defy your religious limits.

Very good analysis sir, very well said. :cheers:

Seriously why do they call everything by western precedents' names.

lollywood - lol was the key word?!:lol:

I don't know what idiot thought of the name Lollywood. They were apparently trying to compete with India and U.S. but ended up looking stupider.

it might have been to do with the name of the city they are based at

bollywood - bombay
lollywood - lahore

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom