What's new

load shedding ?

What is your per unit charge ?
Also how many phase you got and what's the connection wattage ?
I know technique with AC to reduce bills as in my neighborhood i know people who has 4000 INR per month due to AC.
Whats that technique?

What is your per unit charge ?
Also how many phase you got and what's the connection wattage ?
I know technique with AC to reduce bills as in my neighborhood i know people who has 4000 INR per month due to AC.
I don't know exactly per unit charge. It varies between 5.65 to 6.5. It's a 3 phase connection. Connection wattage is 8 kw. During winters my bill will come down to 1800-2300 without AC's running. On average my bill comes to 3500 per month.

I am from Azad Kashmir, Mirpur, Islamgarh. I went to visit family back in 2013. I was there for three months every month electric bill was 12'000 to 15'000 rupees. This was our electric usage ... PAY ATTENTION ... 45min to 1hr electric was on ... NEXT 2 - 3 HOURS it was OFF FOR PURPOSE OF LOAD SHEDDING ... MONTHLY BILL BETWEEN 12'000 TO 15'000 ... in other words .... 7 hours of daily electric ... and electric usage was nothing extra ordinary ... one two bulbs, one fridge, small fan kept turned off ... if turned on only for brief period. Compare this with England ...

electric usage 24/7 one fridge, one freezer, washing machines, dish washer, cloth dryer, micro, bulbs, three TVs on most of the day, ... monthly gas electric bill 90/115 a month. Exchange rate back then was around 150 rupees ... that adds up to roughly 15k ...

BASICLY WE KASHMIRIS ARE PAYING BILLS FOR ALL PEKIS WHO DON'T PAY. Thats 99.99 percent of Pekis we are paying for ... yes us Kashmiris are not only paying for your roti salan we are also paying for your electric usage as well.

I forgot to tell you what i did next. I came back to UK, and three years later when I went to Pakistan again, I ordered from China, solar panels, 8 solar panels. Had them fitted ... took the metre and cable off ... i felt like pissing on them and giving em back to WAPDA ... but better hate prevailed and I handed them and told them never to step on my property again or i will charge you rent for walking on it.

Last edited:
People from various parts of Pakistan, can you describe the situation of Load shedding in your areas ? I mean because of lock down market , industries , malls and much of the cities major power consumption areas are close but still suddenly the Load shedding increase in Karachi , now I live in Karachi so i know about it , so people can share their situation ? last year the load shedding was non existent in my areas and many other areas my relatives and friends live, but suddenly Load shedding restarted , from 3-6 hours depends on Area .. Gulshan where i live we have around 3 hours divided by 1 hour each , one of my friends in his areas face 6 hours divided into 2 hours each .

Why the hell is sudden Load shedding increase ? One reason i thought that some people might be stealing electricity but in my township its no possible, KE people come to check our meters 2-4 times in week, and bills for this month came extensively high, just for a ref I live in a 120 Gaz house with roughly 2 AC , 2 Fridge and 1 water motor, we have two portions .. just for my portion with 1 AC , 1 Fridge we got a bill of 41,000 PKR when all month we run our AC at 26 , and we never Runs the AC for continuously for hours because my father is old and he can not sleep in extreme cold temp, so we run at intervals of 1-2 hour than shut down AC for next 2-3 hours than run again ..

What the hell is Provincial Govt or Federal Govt doing ? why no one is taking notice of that shit ?
In which blcok you are ? I am in block 10A and same issue with the load shedding. However, my bill with 2 AC remains around 25 to 30 thousand.

Whats that technique?
Bhai 80 % bill comes due to Compressor but that is the thing to decide when you buy AC. Rest in top of my mind are-
1) Outdoor unit must be under shade and exposure from direct sunlight to be avoided.
2) Refrigerant should be as per mentioned by company as many companies hire local service dealers who have poor knowledge of the product and do casual service and work.
3) Outdoor unit and indoor unit pipe must be sealed and try minimum leakage and avoid joints.
4) Proper sealing of cabin/Rooms is required which is very essential and cause the electricity bills.
5) Timely clean your unit as dust inside fins reduce the area between system and surrounding hence reducing the heat exchange and increasing the work load hence electricity consumption increases.

Too many things to consider and most are condition based and if you know all of them then good otherwise do some research and yes when you buy AC always get knowledge first. In India we have started star system for electricty consumption like 5 star, 4 star etc.

In which blcok you are ? I am in block 10A and same issue with the load shedding. However, my bill with 2 AC remains around 25 to 30 thousand.

I am in Gulshan block 1, yaar my portion bill is 41k, and the other portion bill is 28k, this is outrageous ..

I am in Gulshan block 1, yaar my portion bill is 41k, and the other portion bill is 28k, this is outrageous ..
Agreed 41k with just one ac is extreme. If its your own house u should look into solar. Ur invest will be paid back within one and a half year

Agreed 41k with just one ac is extreme. If its your own house u should look into solar. Ur invest will be paid back within one and a half year

we are thinking about it now, every year for 4 months our electricity bill sky rocket, but this time its the highest ever , but we ask around people and many has told us that their bill is also extremely high .. can you imagine the Maid that works in my home, her bill is 20k , yaar ek bechari Masi ( maid ) kahan se 20k de gi :(

we are thinking about it now, every year for 4 months our electricity bill sky rocket, but this time its the highest ever , but we ask around people and many has told us that their bill is also extremely high .. can you imagine the Maid that works in my home, her bill is 20k , yaar ek bechari Masi ( maid ) kahan se 20k de gi :(
thats unbelievable and so sad.

there is no one to keep a check and Balance on KE , its like they have left Karachi at the mercy of MQM's , PPPP , corrupt ministers and feudal warlords , wadere , and Mafia :(
Dude Arif Naqvi the owner of KE was shahbaz shareef buddy. With the help of shareefs he bought KE. Blame should be goes to shareef and PMLN. Why blaming ppp and mqm. Its become fashion to Criticize sindh. Look what federal and shareef did. What establishment did under this. You need to dug it properly.

Dude Arif Naqvi the owner of KE was shahbaz shareef buddy. With the help of shareefs he bought KE. Blame should be goes to shareef and PMLN. Why blaming ppp and mqm. Its become fashion to Criticize sindh. Look what federal and shareef did. What establishment did under this. You need to dug it properly.

The context i am using here is that no one is standing up for Karachi and its people ..

Can a company based in Pakistan be responsible for the fall of one of the world’s largest private equity firms?

42699_AP_Karachi_Power_1539869712028.jpg

Violent protests in Karachi like this one over incessant power outages were common before Abraaj's takeover of K-Electric. ( AP Archive )
As the Dubai-based Abraaj Capital, which is the Middle East’s top private equity firm, continues to make headlines, one of its investments in the spotlight is K-Electric, the utility powering Pakistan’s largest city, Karachi.

Abraaj has filed for provisional liquidation after reports emerged that its management diverted investor funds to pay its own expenses. A lot of the blame for this has come down to K-Electric, which Abraaj took over as a majority shareholder in 2008.

How K-Electric met Abraaj Capital

42703_AP_Karachi_Power_1539870462967.jpg

Successive governments failed to solve the increase power outages in Karachi until K-Electric was privatised.(AP Archive)
K-Electric (then known as the Karachi Electric Supply Corporation) is an organisation that has been marred by incompetence, underinvestment and political interference since the 1990s up until it was taken over by Abraaj in 2008.

The port city of Karahchi, which hosts more than 16 million people, boasts the highest number of factories in the country and electricity breakdowns resulted in loss of production hours, straining an already frail economy. There used to be near-daily street protests by angry locals.

Successive governments didn’t bother to invest in generators, copper wire and electricity theft was rife, causing massive financial losses to the company.

It was such a free-for-all that people would even stick toothpicks in consumption-reading meters to slow them down or just steal electricity directly from overhead power lines.

In 2005, K-Electric was privatised and sold to a group of Middle Eastern investors in a bid to rejuvenate the company.

The problems afflicting Karachi's power supply didn’t go away. K-Electric continued to pile up losses, and the government kept handing out subsidies to keep it afloat.

A succession of CEOs followed with little success. And then Abraaj swooped in.

The trailblazers

Abraaj came with an investment of more than $300 million, promising to add power generating capacity and fix the rickety distribution system.

42705_GettyImagesKElectric_1539870826347.jpg

Abraaj invested more than $300 million in Karachi's power utility, investing in electricity generators and revamping old power lines.(Getty Images)
But first it needed to deal with a bloated workforce. The company didn’t need one-third of its 18,000 employees, and it fired thousands of them.

What followed was a revolt.

Hundreds of angry workers, backed by politically connected unions began a strike and stormed the company's head office, pelting it with stones and burning official cars.

Tabish Gauhar, a Karachiite then in his late 30s, was brought in as the CEO to oversee the transition.

Depending on locals to maneuver around bureaucracy and politics had become a hallmark of Abraaj’s operations in developing countries.

Using a carefully crafted PR strategy and lobbying in Islamabad, it was able to withstand the pressure of protesting employees.

By 2012, after years of remaining in the red and relying on government bailouts, K-Electric was posting profits – even though it continued to struggle to meet a growing power demand.

42706_AP_Abraaj_1539871027997.jpg

Arif Naqvi, centre, was a regular feature at the World Economic Forum and was considered to be one of the smartest minds in the industry.(AP Archive)
All about returns

K-Electric was Abraaj’s largest investment among the more than 200 companies in various emerging markets that were in its portfolio since it started in 2002.

Arif Naqvi, Abraaj’s founder, is also from Karachi.

The life of the fund that was used to invest in the company ran out in 2016. This coincided with the time when Abraaj was hoping to sell its stake to another investor at a profit. This never happened.

Like many other countries, the money investors can make in the electricity generation and supply business is regulated by the government.

Regulation was all the more important for utilities like K-Electric, which is the sole supplier for the entire city and faces no competition.

The regulator determines K-Electric’s profit on the basis of how efficiently the company is run. That means if the managers recover more bills and increase electricity generation than the net profit goes up.

In October 2016, Abraaj announced that China’s state-run Shanghai Electric Company had agreed to buy its 66 percent stake in K-Electric for $1.77 billion.

But that deal hit regulatory snags as K-Electric is embroiled in what in Pakistan is known as circular debt – where one energy firm owes money to another along the supply chain.

“That was one of the reasons government officials were reluctant to give their consent. They wanted K-Electric to settle its dues before the deal goes through,” said a former K-Electric executive.

“The Chinese were also asking for more even though they were offered a return of 18 percent to 19 percent on their investment. It’s just sad that it didn’t work out.”

Now it is slowly becoming apparent that Abraaj's inability to sell its stake at the right time might have contributed to the cash flow issues, which resulted in its liquidation.
https://www.trtworld.com/asia/k-electric-the-power-utility-at-center-of-abraaj-debacle-20969/amp

The nexus between K Electric. Arif Naqvi. Abraj Capital. Shareefs. China. And Establishment.

Back
Top Bottom