What's new

Liz Truss news – live: PM resigns after less than seven weeks in Downing Street

View attachment 887942
Liz Truss has announced she is resigning as prime minister after just six weeks in the role.

There will be a leadership election within a week, Ms Truss said.

It comes after the chair of the 1922 Committee, Sir Graham Brady entered No 10 for a crisis meeting with the prime minister, followed by party chair Jake Berry.

Ms Truss’ brief stint as leader involved a mini-Budget that spooked the market, the sacking of her close ally and chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng, the resignation of home secretary Suella Braverman and chaos in Westminster around a confidence vote where there were allegations of senior Tories manhandling and bullying colleagues.

Just yesterday she told PMQs she is a “fighter not a quitter.”

Conservative MP Simon Hoare said Liz Truss only had 12 hours to save her premiership while Lord David Frost, a former Brexit minister who backed Truss for PM, called for her to go in addition to more than a dozen MPs.
Guess it will be the Indian now, money talks in UK politics.

This is faster than game of throne...
UK competing with Japanese in Premier oustings.

Omg lol!!!!!!!!
We left in 2016! Do you know the vast majority of labour we received from the EU was low skilled Labour around 90%!!!!
Do you know anything about much the UK has given the world from modern physics, to the jet engine, to fine literature to antibiotics? I bet you'll say someone else did that for us.

To be honest you don't really reflect the views of most Canadians, real Canadians love the UK and wish it to be successful, and having a shared royal family makes us close.

You better also look at the strength of independence movement in Scotland, it's at its lowest for years.
1) I've already said that I do not spite the UK or its people. Canadians after all still have the queen on the money. So don't bring strawman arguments to somehow deflect the topic.

2) UK's glorious past and its contribution to science overall is not the topic. Once again, please do not deviate.

3) There are some undisputable advantages that London had by UK's place in EU. If 10% of EU migration into UK was in high tech sector as you've stated, it means that innovation in UK was considerably helped by EU immigrants. Brexit formally came into force in May 2021 - https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...eement-council-adopts-decision-on-conclusion/ - UK has not had time to see the reverberations yet.

I have not heard any rational arguments from you that Brexit is better for UK. Realistically, I see that the UK's economy is struggling post Brexit. Either we have to wait for UK's rise or you have to make rational and objective statements to make your case that UK is better of than Brexit. Simply citing an innovation index does not cut it. Past performance is not always an indicator for the future.

Guess it will be the Indian now, money talks in UK politics.

UK competing with Japanese in Premier oustings.

Penny and Boris seem to be tops.

Take a look at what they are saying about Sunak;

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 15.11.25.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 15.11.44.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 15.11.53.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 15.12.00.png

LOL!!!!!!

1) I've already said that I do not spite the UK or its people. Canadians after all still have the queen on the money. So don't bring strawman arguments to somehow deflect the topic.

2) UK's glorious past and its contribution to science overall is not the topic. Once again, please do not deviate.

3) There are some undisputable advantages that London had by UK's place in EU. If 10% of EU migration into UK was in high tech sector as you've stated, it means that innovation in UK was considerably helped by EU immigrants. Brexit formally came into force in May 2021 - https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...eement-council-adopts-decision-on-conclusion/ - UK has not had time to see the reverberations yet.

I have not heard any rational arguments from you that Brexit is better for UK. Realistically, I see that the UK's economy is struggling post Brexit. Either we have to wait for UK's rise or you have to make rational and objective statements to make your case that UK is better of than Brexit. Simply citing an innovation index does not cut it. Past performance is not always an indicator for the future.

Next Canadian PM

1. You can't argue for squat and haven't got a clue about how the UK works or it's history, hence why I brought that in. Most Canadians do, hence why I also found it unusual.

2. The UK's past didn't just suddenly stop at one date! Our sheer might in innovation and scientific output has continued unabated hence our position. You put it down to EU migrants hahahaha (refer again to point number 1 about you knowing nothing).

3. 10% figure is nothing in the massive ocean of our tertiary, and quaternary sectors. It sounds utterly ridiculous to suggest that 10% of a migrant workforce upheld's the UK's top position in the index. Yes it has come into effect in 2001 but EU migration has been falling since 2016....

You haven't heard anything rational from me yet because you blind yourself to obvious realities, have a complete lack of understanding of the UK and can't even respond to basic comments.

I can't help you here.

Stupid woman who is brainless and only know shouting anti China slogan everyday. She deserve to be boot.

What you need is a leader that have the courage to cut straight into the riches, leave the politics for one second and try to focus on the country. Yes, that would most likely be the last thing whoever in charge would do, but at least people in general can survive this.

I mean, the level of governance is unheard of with Liz Truss.....she didn't do anything, I doubt she had even unpacked.....
You don't want to chase all rich away from your shore, right?

3. 10% figure is nothing in the massive ocean of our tertiary, and quaternary sectors. It sounds utterly ridiculous to suggest that 10% of a migrant workforce upheld's the UK's top position in the index. Yes it has come into effect in 2001 but EU migration has been falling since 2016....

I've said that immigration has likely had significant contribution to UK's innovation. Many people underestimate the impact of immigration's impact on scientific contribution.

Innovation is not the only sector that made UK work. London was also a big financial center before Brexit. That has also taken a big hit now.

I should remind again that the discussion is whether brexit has made UK better off or not. I do not try to say that UK will disappear completely because of Brexit. Here is a report from london school of economics.

This report provides the most detailed assessment to date of the impact of the TCA on trade flows over the longer-term. Our modelling finds that over the next decade, as the UK adjusts to the TCA, the UK will have 1.3 per cent lower productivity, and real wages will fall by £470 per person every year than in the absence of Brexit.

Trying to attack individuals on the web who do not conform to your view is very immature. :disagree:

I've said that immigration has likely had significant contribution to UK's innovation. Many people underestimate the impact of immigration's impact on scientific contribution.

Innovation is not the only sector that made UK work. London was also a big financial center before Brexit. That has also taken a big hit now.

I should remind again that the discussion is whether brexit has made UK better off or not. I do not try to say that UK will disappear completely because of Brexit. Here is a report from london school of economics.

Trying to attack individuals on the web who do not conform to your view is very immature. :disagree:

I've already answered your point about immigration from the EU.

So the UK as a big financial sector has taken a hit has it? Let's look at some basic stats;

London ranks second in the world in terms of size of our financial centre;

• New York leads the index, with London second, ahead of Singapore in third place, which has overtaken Hong Kong in fourth position.

So it rose since brexit in the ratings....

• London continues to lead in the region, and rose 5 points in the ratings.
  • Other leading Western European centres also gained in the ratings. Berlin, Stuttgart, Lugano, Malta, Reykjavik, Guernsey, and Liechtenstein rose more than 10 rank places, while Madrid and Brussels fell more than 10 ranking places.

In terms of industry;

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 15.58.45.png

I read the report's summary findings and it does state findings based on modelling and 'set to' statements, which of course valid do have a high degree of estimation based on existing data. With the UK moving forward no one knows what will occur. The UK can and will become far better due to its underlying strength in many areas, ability to forge new agreements and the easing of regulation within our economy.
One thing the report left out was the fall in living standards which resulted in mass migration from Europe at the tune of 5 million people i.e. pressure on schools, the health service, rents going up etc.

Worst role model. British parliamentary system is unstable.

Worst role model. British parliamentary system is unstable.
The longest surviving democratic parliament running UNINTERUPTED for hundreds of years with the worlds MOST successful democratic party EVER , the Conservatives, who have existed since the corn laws .
I despise the conservatives but understand that its a vote winning machine without parallel.

The longest surviving democratic parliament running UNINTERUPTED for hundreds of years with the worlds MOST successful democratic party EVER , the Conservatives, who have existed since the corn laws .
I despise the conservatives but understand that its a vote winning machine without parallel.
You are ill informed. British governance system has not been as successful as the American system over the last hundred years. American colonial system has also been superior over the last hundred years. Look at what S. Korea does for USA compared to what Canada does for Britain.

Britain has been on a downward trajectory over this period. Governments don't have to complete a mandated term. Opposition can agitate and bring down a standing government at a time of crisis creating more instability and crisis. Pakistan has the same flaws....it inherited from its role model.

This is what happen when Conservative party is not fully behind Liz Truss. One week from now we will see new British PM.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom