What's new

List your most favorite Ancient Chinese Generals!

What 王可伟 got it right, and all other modern painters/recreators got wrong, is the ubiquitousness of archery equipments. East of the Catholic sphere of influence, every horseman carried a composite recurve bow.

Ming cavalry: notice that beside the unarmed standard bearer, every horseman has a quiverful of arrows.
swordpolearm.jpg

Tibetan: note the closed quiver.
cataphract.jpg

Mughal: with typical non-Christian belt holster.
scan0019.jpg

What they all had in common: archer's ring. Here's a fine example from India.
37343924.jpg

From Korea to Hungary, Yakutia to India, the bow construction, archery equipment, & techniques are roughly the same. The bow is usually carried in a holster on the left side of the belt, the quiver on the right side. The stereotypical back quiver was almost NEVER used outside of Christiandom. And the draw is almost invariably thumbring draw. The goal is clear: to use the composite recurve bow from horseback.
Also note, that the composite recurve bow is almost strictly a cavalry weapon, as the infantry often preferred the crossbow.
Any "historical" drama that fails to incorporate these features have failed to do their research. In China's case, that's 99% of the 武俠 series.

That drawing was made by 王可伟. He maks some pretty good and historically accurate war paintings throughout different ages. If you're interested, you can google up alot of his work:

u1584p28t3d1484706f326d.jpg

c8fkq02q.jpg

56405802.jpg

the last picture is aw aw aw awesome``better than sex``!! lol

sun tzu anyday,his art of war is something i carry with me everytime,also at the same place is japanese miyamoto musashi

Scythian holster/quiver.
89073.jpg

What I don't understand is: why did western Christians in general avoided horseback archery?

^^^^

That is a Scythian? I thought it was a Han person.

he was talking about the holster/quiver.

come to think of it the arabs don't seem to use horse men archer that much either.

It's a powerful force.

Can arrows show from these bows penetrate armour worn by knights?

What I don't understand is: why did western Christians in general avoided horseback archery?

They used long bows and crossbows, so I guess It wouldn't be that popular there. Hungarians used recurve bows, and they used horse archers in their wars.. Also they have been in contact with Central Asians more then Western Europeans.

Ming Warriors in action.

All weapons are accurate in this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tang dynasty, there was a man off the Chinese envoy to India a country.His name is Wang Xunce。

It says "Tang situational map", not "Tang territorial map". Neither Tibet nor Gok Turk was under Tang control. The latter was eventually defeated by Tang, but its territory was taken over by Uyghurs.

he was talking about the holster/quiver.

come to think of it the arabs don't seem to use horse men archer that much either.

It's a powerful force.

Can arrows show from these bows penetrate armour worn by knights?
The Arabs relied on horse archers as much as the Chinese or anyone other than western Christians. It's just modern recreators failed to present them correctly, much like Chinese 武俠 drama writers failed to do their homework.
Composite recurve is FAR more potent than the much vaunted English longbow. The Turkish bow could send a "flight arrow" out to 600m. Unfortunately, with the cultural dominance of Angloshphere, the longbow has been blown out of proportion.
Any eastern arrow could (and did) easily penetrate Western transitional armour (chain mail reinforced with scales & plates) that it actually encountered historically. By the time of the stereotypical plate armours came to theme, firearms were becoming more widespread, which soon rendered them useless in the battlefield. By then, the plate armours were used in jousting games only.
It's a miracle that western Europe did not get overran by such equipped Muslims or eastern Christians in pre-modern era.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom