What's new

List your most favorite Ancient Chinese Generals!

Em i like 司马穰苴 (SI MA RANG JU)

Sun Zi.

His strategies taught many famous generals, including US generals of today.

His books are in every singe US military institution.

再加上:

孙膑(不用说了吧),蒙恬(秦抗匈奴名将),李广(汉朝飞将军),曹仁(曹操铁骑之首),郭子仪(唐朝功臣),薛仁贵(唐朝西征名将),郭侃(汉人,蒙古征阿富汗,伊朗,伊拉克名将),郑和/郑成功(海军)

No need to translate into English. Just general names.

再加上:

孙膑(不用说了吧),蒙恬(秦抗匈奴名将),李广(汉朝飞将军),曹仁(曹操铁骑之首),郭子仪(唐朝功臣),薛仁贵(唐朝西征名将),郭侃(汉人,蒙古征阿富汗,伊朗,伊拉克名将),郑和/郑成功(海军)

No need to translate into English. Just general names.

i do not think li guang is capable of being a good general```he had a fame of being arrogant and stuborn``around that time the achievements made by Wei Qing and Huo Qu bin are echoing for eternity``

As for strategists, l like Zhuge Liang. Calm and intelligent, his strategic thinking is one gives the Shu a fighting chance. Sadly, he overlooked the scarce food supply during the Northern Campaign against Wei in the mountainous region.

As for generals, i like Cao Cao and Zhou Yu. Cao Cao, even though is portrayed as the villian, is a smart and cunning commander, and he proved his sly brain and tactical edge well during the fight against the numerically superior Yuan Shao in The Battle of Guan Du. That battle is proof that good tactics and skill and quality can overcome superior numbers.;)

Can you guys open a thread on which you post ancient chinese history in english so that we can know these generals much better.

Because right now if you ask me i'll say ........emmm Jackie chan

Can you guys open a thread on which you post ancient chinese history in english so that we can know these generals much better.

Because right now if you ask me i'll say ........emmm Jackie chan

u can google those names we posted in pingying``but they didnt have much english sources ahout those famous chinese generals, but mostly in chinese and japanese they do have.

for example Wei Qing (卫青), who almost singlehandly destroyed the Huns, there are books of chronography about him, but on Wiki or other forum just few pages``

As for strategists, l like Zhuge Liang. Calm and intelligent, his strategic thinking is one gives the Shu a fighting chance. Sadly, he overlooked the scarce food supply during the Northern Campaign against Wei in the mountainous region.

As for generals, i like Cao Cao and Zhou Yu. Cao Cao, even though is portrayed as the villian, is a smart and cunning commander, and he proved his sly brain and tactical edge well during the fight against the numerically superior Yuan Shao in The Battle of Guan Du. That battle is proof that good tactics and skill and quality can overcome superior numbers.;)
You know, Zhu Geliang was grossly exaggerated by the novel. Historically he was a decent strategist and tactician, but his greatest strength was always the ability to run an administration. I don't think he is up there with Bai Qi, Han Xin or Wei Qing when it actually came to leading troops in battle. However, the novel made him almost god like, which is historically inaccurate.

I advise you to read 三国志, instead of 三国演义.

Zhuge Liang!!
My advice also applies to you.

诸葛亮 is a politician not a general. His military record is pretty pathetic considering that all seven of his expedition failed.

Gen. Jackie Chan

chan.jpg

诸葛亮 is a politician not a general. His military record is pretty pathetic considering that all seven of his expedition failed.
While that is true, you have to consider that Shu has considerably less resources at its disposal than Wei. Zhu Geliang's expeditions failed not because of defeats on the battlefield, but from the limited manpower and supply level Shu was known for. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's terrible considering what he had to work with.

Gen. Jackie Chan

chan.jpg
Jackie Chan has no place in any historical movie. Aside from the crappiness of that film, I kept wondering when Chris Tucker will jump in and yell "Y'all be punk'd".

While that is true, you have to consider that Shu has considerably less resources at its disposal than Wei. Zhu Geliang's expeditions failed not because of defeats on the battlefield, but from the limited manpower and supply level Shu was known for. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's terrible considering what he had to work with.

孙子 said that a good general wins first and then fights, and a bad general fights first and then seeks to win. 诸葛亮 was a fool by this standard. He had no regard for people's lives, just his personal glory. He did not know how to manage generals, so 魏延had to rebel. He did not know how to manage supplies. So besides foolish bravery and misguided ambition, what else was he good for? Throughout the Chinese history there had been so many good generals. He is not even close to be in the top 100. If anyone is a good general, it would be 刘备.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom