What's new

Life in Australia as an Immigrant

Ive never heard of Fobs

Dont have any many islanders here but.

Plenty of Maoris.

Talking about american political correctness i remember those guys on that tv show who painted themselves black for a tv show play and the american guest star(who was white) got all offended i was like dude seriously..

Lol Asim dont talk about what you dont no.

1-2 attacks were done by australians the rest were done by islanders , lebanese and even indians themselves many were also opportunist crimes reported wrong by the indian media.

1 Indian got fined for burning himself and blaming it on a racial attack.

The worst racial attacks in recent times arnt even done by australians.

Ashfield gang rapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sydney gang rapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Accepted, my knowledge is just hearsay. I think in 2009, you had the Indian media in rage and there was a lot of one sided reporting. Many Indian members here that time too stated that some of it is their own fault.

I am not dragging the Australian name in the mud, but mostly just curious, as I view friendlyness by correlating two things. The attitude of the locals towards outsiders and the laws of the land. The laws are easy to read in black and white, but attitudes cannot easily be gauged other than simply asking point blank.

I dont deny that there is racism in Australia but there is all over the world.

Australians are targeted for it but because of our past history with the aboriginals and the fact of our "laid back" culture where many will joke about every ones background whether its pom or yank or what ever else.

To us the outside world is more sensitive about such things.

True racism is having a hatred of ones religious beliefs/culture or skin colour.

We also have a zero tolerance for people trying to change our way of life which many will take as racism.

To prove a point we call New Zealanders sheep shaggers but its more of a humour thing.

If roy came to me and said oi ya white dickhead id just laugh and no hes only joking lol.

That sounds quite different, I'd reckon for any immigrant it won't be easy adjusting to it.

edit: let's say for Some immigrants. Any is too general.

That sounds quite different, I'd reckon for any immigrant it won't be easy adjusting to it.

edit: let's say for Some immigrants. Any is too general.

:lol: Obviously we don't go up to random Kiwis in Australia and call them a sheep shagger.

Another question for immigrants... Are there like ethnic communities in Australia, like they hang out within themselves a lot or is the mixed environment common?

If there are, then is there peer pressure from ethnic communities to not to conform to the Australian culture?

For example in Pakistan you can be labelled "westernized" in both negative and positive ways. For example if you go against basic tenets of the faith/culture like drinking or promiscuity you're labelled as negatively westernized.

So now for the question for the Ausies - is that type of westernization required/expected to be accepted by the community?

First generation immigrants usually tend to hang out with their own kind, not always though. Their kids not so much, if you go through Australian school system, university, you talk like an Aussie, you walk like an Aussie, you drink like an Aussie:D

I have seen/met both kinds of Pakistani families here in Australia. The conservative types and the "assimilated" ones.

Another question for immigrants... Are there like ethnic communities in Australia, like they hang out within themselves a lot or is the mixed environment common?

If there are, then is there peer pressure from ethnic communities to not to conform to the Australian culture?

For example in Pakistan you can be labelled "westernized" in both negative and positive ways. For example if you go against basic tenets of the faith/culture like drinking or promiscuity you're labelled as negatively westernized.

So now for the question for the Ausies - is that type of westernization required/expected to be accepted by the community?

Its a hard thing to say people who mix with everyone else are seen in a better light no doubt and it is eventually expected.However you can see reasons why in some suburbs there are a higher number of some particular group.In a suburb i use to live in it had the best Hindu temple in the state so naturally there was a higher number of hindus as well muslims because of the muslim schools nearby and east asians because it was quite a well off area and east asians tend to have a higher income.

Ive known 2 muslim girls from school 1 from Pakistan and 1 from Bangledesh and they arnt allowed out after school and i remember the Pakistani girl had a arab boy who told her she shouldnt speak to so many boys(this girl wasnt even close to slutty).

So if you ask me its more of a parent thing like Roy said because the 2 girls were as aussie as you get.There was similar fears of assimilation when the vietnemese first started coming over here after the Vietnam war as well as Slavs from the yugoslav wars and both have now settled in fine admittedly the slavs have more problems with each other rather then Australians especially at the Australian Open and in state league football matches lol.

Personally i think weve done a lot better at assimilating everyone then europe has lol go to australian sports matches and you'll see people there from all groups.

@asim do you have many permanent residents in the UAE of european decent?

Personally i think weve done a lot better at assimilating everyone then europe

Immigration to Australia is a relatively new trend. People started moving to Australia only when entry to US / Europe was tightened. Australia has a lot to learn from US / Europe in terms of immigration policies.

@asim do you have many permanent residents in the UAE of european decent?

They are sort of permanent, not just European, almost all western country national has some extra perks that we don't get - that other Arabs also don't get.

There's no Permanent Residency concept here, you come here on a work visa sponsored by the company that has hired you. Whn you leave your job, the company that hired you cancels your visa.

The added advantage westerners (except Canadians who pissed off the government here, long story) have that they can enter UAE with the Visa on arrival facility, 6 months stay. Which is enough time to find work. You get your work visa processed in a week to a month (sometimes even a day).

And no taxes - I've heard that the US government taxes Americans working overseas, but don't know this for sure.

And no taxes - I've heard that the US government taxes Americans working overseas, but don't know this for sure.

I think the AU and Canadian govs tax too. But there is a difference between resident tax return and the offshore one

@ Asim can you provide the link to the Canadian story you mentioned above thanks

australia-aborigines-460.jpg

Correction mate you are a immigrant who happened to kick out the real owners of land into deserts :P

So in other words, you don't know anything about australia?

Yeah AUD 14000 is more than fair... We've all heard about attacks on Indians and Pakistanis in Australia and general racism, but the laws are very welcoming and friendly.

Wasn't any such events. It was a story created by the Indian Media. Also there was no mention of Pakastanis.

Wasn't any such events. It was a story created by the Indian Media. Also there was no mention of Pakastanis.

A friend of mine (a Bangladeshi) who works and lives in Australia said most of those events were propaganda. It was just done to stir things up or something like that :confused:

Wasn't any such events.

The Indian media went on a rampage after this incident

Also there was no mention of Pakastanis.

Because there are hardly any Pakistanis in Australia (eventhough the number is increasing). Even those that live their are called Indians. There are more Afghans and Sri Lankans than Pakistanis

Back
Top Bottom