What's new

Life in Australia as an Immigrant

If you're an educated person you should type like one, no disrespect. As for your inquiry a Pakistani member here "Developereo" who resides in Australia I'm sure he can help answer any questions you have regarding immigrant life in Australia, work opportunities, etc.

We have a few other members here who also live in Australia.

You could have behaved better yourself, no disrespect. The guy is new, his first post here in fact, and deserves a little guidance, some help and lots of letting go, especially from the senior members.

Welcome to the forum Bluemoon. What Mr.A1Kaid meant was that you should be a bit less casual while typing over here (although your post wasn't that far off the mark...Iv'e seen worse). We take this forum quite seriously and would like to keep it as professional as we can.

And good luck with your future pursuits :)

I dont think theyd be allowed to apply for permanent residence i'm preety sure to live in Australia you need to be very well qualified and work for a certain amount of years and even then its a ***** to be able live here.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/40.pdf

There seems to be a parent visa :)

A sponsor for applicants applying for a Parent category visa,
Contributory Parent category visa, Aged Dependent Relative
visa, Remaining Relative visa or Carer visa, must be:
• aged 18 years or over; and
• an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an
eligible New Zealand citizen; and
• a relative of the applicant or if specified in the eligibility
criteria for the relative visa class, a cohabiting partner of the
relative of the applicant; and
• be settled and resident in Australia at the time the
application is lodged.

I guess anyone who wants to do that first needs to get their own General Skilled Migration visa and then apply for the parents. It's amazing how much info is clearly available on the internet, usually for most countries to know the info of visit visa's is a pain. The GSM has an online assessment test, which I think anyone with a good degree and 5-6 years of experience would pass easy. The GSM form also asks how much money you'd bring into Australia, I don't know if that's something your application would be graded on or just for their own info...

But I understand the job markets are down everywhere, you may not be able to get a job in your preferred field/industry even after your immigration.

Just a question on the good vs bad immigrant views from an Australian, one of the most attractive thing about Australian is the free health care. In most countries you've got insured health care and people with old parents aren't eligible to health insurance, either. In essence the options are to grow old and then die (you're retired so you won't have the necessary earnings to pay for the huge bills yourself).

So someone who brings their parents along is probably a burden on the Australian economy. Are they seen as such or the work/skills they contribute offset that?

You can't bring your parents along as a skilled migrant. You can apply for a separate dependent parent visa/ contributor parent visa after two years of starting work in Australia.

For dependant parent visa, if you are single and have no kids, you need to show the you have been earning atleast A$35,000 per annum for the past two years/ or about A$50,000 (if you are married with two kids) and lodge a bond of $7000 to the Centerlink( social security agency including medicare/fee healthcare). But the waiting period for this visa is at least 15-20 years, so no one opts for this.

Second option is contributor parent visa, once again if you are single and have no kids, you need to have an income of at least A$35,000 (again no big deal,almost everyone working full time does) for the past two years/ or about A$50,000 (if you are married with two kids) and lodge a bond of A$14,000(for 2 parents) and A$10,000(for 1 parent) to the Centerlink. Waiting period is around 1.5-2 years. Most people go for this option.

Once they get the visa, they get free healthcare and other benefits. So in other words you need to pay A$14,000 to get the Medicare and other facilities for your parents. Which is fair enough in my opinion, because only tax payers should get the benefit. Hope this makes sense?

So once someone migrates here as a skilled migrant, it will take them at least 4 years to get the parents over permanently. In the mean time parents can come visit on visitor/tourist visas with which they can stay over for 6 months at a stretch.

mmm...how many years of experience they want? I have recently completed MBA first semester with good results :P

Considering migrating there in the long term.

You can't bring your parents along as a skilled migrant. You can apply for a separate dependent parent visa/ contributor parent visa after two years of starting work in Australia.

For dependant parent visa you need to show the you have been earning atleast A$35,000 per annum for the past two years and lodge a bond of $7000 to the Centerlink( social security agency including medicare/fee healthcare). But the waiting period for this visa is at least 15-20 years, so no one opts for this.

Second option is contributor parent visa once again you need to have an income of at least A$35,000(again no big deal,almost everyone working full time does) for the past two years and lodge a bond of A$14,000(for 2 parents) and A$10,000(for 1 parent). Waiting period is around 1.5-2 years.

Once they get the visa they get free healthcare and other benefits. So in other words you need to pay A$14,000 to get the Medicare facility. Which is fair enough in my opinion. Hope this makes sense?

So once someone migrates here as a skilled migrant, it will take them at least 4 years to get the parents over permanently. In the mean time parents can come visit on visitor/tourist visas with which they can stay over for 6 months at a stretch.

Yeah AUD 14000 is more than fair... We've all heard about attacks on Indians and Pakistanis in Australia and general racism, but the laws are very welcoming and friendly.

1. There's no Permanent residency in UAE. After 30 years if you end up being without a job you go back home and if you have spent 30 years in UAE, you probably have no home, back home.
2. In the US there's no straight way for a permanent residency, usually people defraud the system, or get married to a US national - again if done with the sole intent of residency then its like fraud.
3. Canada used to be friendly but they want very senior positions for their skilled migrants, again people lie about it to get in and there is no correlation between skills and seniority in an organization
4. UK closed their skilled migration they just want people with job offers in hand, but most companies first want you to be eligible for a job before offering one to you, so its as good as dead.
5. Australia has fair requirements, education, work experience and assessment of skills from one of their proven authorities.

Yeah AUD 14000 is more than fair... We've all heard about attacks on Indians and Pakistanis in Australia and general racism, but the laws are very welcoming and friendly.

1. There's no Permanent residency in UAE. After 30 years if you end up being without a job you go back home and if you have spent 30 years in UAE, you probably have no home, back home.
2. In the US there's no straight way for a permanent residency, usually people defraud the system, or get married to a US national - again if done with the sole intent of residency then its like fraud.
3. Canada used to be friendly but they want very senior positions for their skilled migrants, again people lie about it to get in and there is no correlation between skills and seniority in an organization
4. UK closed their skilled migration they just want people with job offers in hand, but most companies first want you to be eligible for a job before offering one to you, so its as good as dead.
5. Australia has fair requirements, education, work experience and assessment of skills from one of their proven authorities.

Lol Asim dont talk about what you dont no.

1-2 attacks were done by australians the rest were done by islanders , lebanese and even indians themselves many were also opportunist crimes reported wrong by the indian media.

1 Indian got fined for burning himself and blaming it on a racial attack.

The worst racial attacks in recent times arnt even done by australians.

Ashfield gang rapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sydney gang rapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trust me the attacks were not as bad as the media made it out to be. Most of the attacks that happened against international students were opportunistic crimes and not really racial attacks. International students usually work late shifts and used public transport, so were seen as soft targets. They are just your street crimes, nothing more nothing less, and every city has it, and people from every race ethnicity are victims of such crimes.

And the ironic part is that most of the perpetrators of those attacks were ethnic migrants themselves.

Majority of the Australians are nice, hardworking people and (at the risk of sounding cliched) are happy to give everyone a fair go, irrespective of religion or race.

I dont deny that there is racism in Australia but there is all over the world.

Australians are targeted for it but because of our past history with the aboriginals and the fact of our "laid back" culture where many will joke about every ones background whether its pom or yank or what ever else.

To us the outside world is more sensitive about such things.

True racism is having a hatred of ones religious beliefs/culture or skin colour.

We also have a zero tolerance for people trying to change our way of life which many will take as racism.

To prove a point we call New Zealanders sheep shaggers but its more of a humour thing.

If roy came to me and said oi ya white dickhead id just laugh and no hes only joking lol.

I dont deny that there is racism in Australia but there is all over the world.

Australians are targeted for it but because of our past history with the aboriginals and the fact of our "laid back" culture where many will joke about every ones background whether its pom or yank or what ever else.

To us the outside world is more sensitive about such things.

True racism is having a hatred of ones religious beliefs/culture or skin colour.

We also have a zero tolerance for people trying to change our way of life which many will take as racism.

To prove a point we call New Zealanders sheep shaggers but its more of a humour thing.

If roy came to me and said oi ya white dickhead id just laugh and no hes only joking lol.

:lol: Yeah thats what I love about Australia. Everyone can have a laugh about these things, not like American political correctness.

Wogs- Greeks, Italians, Turks

Lebs/Lebos- Lebanese

Curries- South Asians (including Afghans)

Fobs- Islanders

Yobs, Bogan, Junkies- certain kind of white people.:P

Poms, Yanks.

Abos-lets not even go there:lol:

And the list goes on and on,

Back
Top Bottom