What's new

Libya: Qaddhafi Violates Ceasefire, Foreign Forces Mount Attack

How to get Gaddafi

Yet it would also be an erroneous conclusion that the only form of assistance America can give to good revolutions is military.

Niall Ferguson

President Obama is reluctant to intervene in the bloody civil war now underway in Libya. As a senior aide told The New York Times last week, "He keeps reminding us that the best revolutions are completely organic." I like that notion of organic revolutions - guaranteed no foreign additives, exclusive to Whole Foods. I like it because, like so much about this administration, it is both trendy and ignorant.
Was the American Revolution "completely organic"? Funny, I could have sworn those were French ships off Yorktown. What about Britain's Glorious Revolution, the one that established parliamentary rule? Strange, I had this crazy idea that William III was a Dutchman.
The reality is that very few revolutions, good or bad, succeed without some foreign assistance. Lenin had German money; Mao had Soviet arms. Revolutions that don't get some help from outside aren't so much inorganic as unsuccessful. Indeed, they generally don't go down in history as revolutions at all. More than one revolt has been brutally crushed by a dictator - think of the Marsh Arabs' fate at the hands of Saddam Hussein. Such events tend to be remembered as massacres. We must hope that someone gives President Obama a history lesson before thousands of Libyans share their fate. It will be tragic, indeed, if America concludes from the experience of overthrowing murderous tyrannies in Afghanistan and Iraq that the correct policy is to turn a blind eye to murder in Libya. That, remember, was the policy pursued by the last Democrat to occupy the White House, in Rwanda as well as, for much too long, in Bosnia.
Yet it would also be an erroneous conclusion that the only form of assistance America can give to good revolutions is military. A no-fly zone was not, after all, what helped the Central and Eastern European revolutionaries of 1989 topple their tyrants. The assistance we gave them was not military. It was moral.
One of the many unsung achievements of President Gerald Ford, the Helsinki Final Act of 1975, was history's biggest-ever poison pill. The document was the result of two years of haggling at the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, originally a Soviet initiative to deal with security issues, but one that veered unexpectedly to address issues of human rights. Eight of the 35 countries that signed the Final Act were communist. Yet it contained the following startling words:
"The participating States will respect human rights and fundamental freedoms, including the freedom of thought, conscience, religion or belief, for all without distinction as to race, sex, language or religion … The participating States will respect the equal rights of peoples and their right to self-determination."
So accustomed were the Soviet authorities to lying that they saw no harm in subscribing to these pledges. Indeed, the Final Act was reprinted in full in Pravda. But for dissidents inside the Soviet bloc like the physicist Andrei Sakharov or the Czech playwright Václav Havel, Helsinki represented a huge stick with which to beat their persecutors.
The Cold War ended not because the United States achieved a military edge over the Soviet Union, but because the legitimacy of the Soviet system collapsed from within. Our role was to insist on the importance of those "human rights and fundamental freedoms." Even if not all our allies in the Cold War always upheld them, the other side respected them less.
Why have we failed to learn from that success? Why have we allowed a mockery to be made of the United Nations Human Rights Council, which numbered Libya among its members until just the other day and includes China and Cuba?
Memo to the president: organic revolutions, just like your Whole Foods arugula, need sunlight and watering. It's time for a new Helsinki, aimed at discrediting all of today's unfree states.

ofcourse he has declared a one way cease fire. he knows his days are numbered now...what else option did he have?

Looks like Brits and the French are caught with their pants down. :lol:

Now its interesting to see what will be their reaction to this - stop their planned military intervention and be snubbed or go ahead and earn the ire of attacking a Muslim nation when the pro-Govt forces have declared a ceasefire.

+1.

This is not a case of clear cut good vs bad. The rebels till now have no proclaimed leader and who knows their winning may be the seed for another war for power. Who knows maybe another radical Islamist group may hijack this movement for its own purpose.

As of now nothing is clear and it is too early to venture into the mist.

Grr -10 LOL( i still like you :) ). dude , who tells you guys these are professional rebel groups . its ordinary citizens standing up , picking up arms - at least international version of CNN and other news interviewed civilians who are fighting + the entire diplomatic core quit on Libya. and where do you get this Qaddafi was is wining now so india should hedge the risk. His days are done--- now that resolution is passed- no cease fire is gonna work.

The world expects this from Russia and China- China don't care about genocide and never have. They did not care if 100 million Muslims get slaughtered as long as the coffins are made in china. It's their nature- they think non interference is some sort of magnanimous gesture and now India has shown China like traits...don't take the great things from china- just emulate the worst , heh.

There is no any evidence of mass murder. You should not believe everything what said on TV.

yeah and there was no Holocaust too - pfttt- i should not believe what I saw on TV .

every arab nation practically, international correspondents have also said it is true, he is killing thousands..

The Libyan opposition asked for it, the Arab league demanded it and the UN security council authorized it. That's who "gave them the right".

Killing your population is not "internal affairs" and the UNSC can legally authorize military interventions..

Well, you're an American, and have nothing to do with India. It's natural that you'll consider what's best for American interests, and not Indian interests.

American interest is already served. It will now remove chinas great influence and investments in that country and its great friendship with the murderous dictator. I can walk and chew gum..

How could it go down specifically:

[video]http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/03/201131720311168561.html[/video] (Video)

Grr -10 LOL( i still like you :) ).

:angel:

dude , who tells you guys these are professional rebel groups . its ordinary citizens standing up , picking up arms - 1) at least international version of CNN and other news interviewed civilians who are fighting + the entire diplomatic core quit on Libya. 2) and where do you get this Qaddafi was is wining now so india should hedge the risk. His days are done--- now that resolution is passed- no cease fire is gonna work.

1)CNN told you ?? Then it must be true.

BTW where are the WMDs that were supposed to be in Iraq. IIRC it was CNN only back then which said Iraq had WMDs. :coffee:

2) Gadhafi forces retake western town as world debates intervention.

Only Ben Ghazi is still holding out. All other towns have been re-taken by troops loyal to Qadaffi.

The world expects this from Russia and China- they don't care about genocide and never have. They did not care if 100 million Muslims get slaughtered as long as the coffins are made in china. It's their nature- they think non interference is some sort of magnanimous gesture and now India has shown China like traits...don't take the great things from china- just emulate the worst , heh.

Actually if you see this kind of moral-high ground BS has not helped India one bit. We were strong supporters of Palestinians and almost hostile to Israel teill 1991 but did any Arab country helped India in any of the wars ?? It was only Israel that helped us in the Kargil war.

All the supposed morals count for nothing in today's world and still I am not convinced that Brits and French are doing this out of purely humanitarian concerns.

Frankly I would like India to go on a China like foreign policy of not minding whether the rulers are democratically elected Leaders or tinpot dictators and just do business.Let them clean their $hit themselves.We will not clean it.

Yeah we (Germany) abstained too and I think that is okay since supporting the resolution and then not participating militarily would be inconsistent and although I am of course for protecting the civilian population it is a risky step with unclear consequences...

yeah and there was no Holocaust too - pfttt- i should not believe what I saw on TV .
Instead showing proof u divert.

every arab nation practically,
Arab nations? Thats additional reason why I dont believe that nonsense. Where are footages of bombings?

international correspondents have also said it is true, he is killing thousands..
They said same about genocide and mass graves in Kosovo. Now we know it was a lie.

Resolution specifics:

The UN Security Council resolution, passed on Thursday, authorises a no-fly zone over Libya and "all necessary measures" to protect civilians from attacks by Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

These are the key points:

* Demands "the immediate establishment of a ceasefire and a complete end to violence and all attacks against, and abuses of, civilians".
* Demands that Libyan authorities "take all measures to protect civilians and meet their basic needs, and to ensure the rapid and unimpeded passage of humanitarian assistance".
* Authorises UN member states "to take all necessary measures ... to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory".
* Decides "to establish a ban on all flights in the airspace of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya in order to help protect civilians", but says humanitarian flights and flights authorised by the UN and Arab League can take place.
* Strengthens the arms embargo imposed on February 26 by calling on UN member states "to inspect in their territory, including airports and seaports, and on the high seas, vessels and aircraft bound to or from" Libya if the country has information with "reasonable grounds" to believe the cargo contains banned military items, or that armed mercenaries are being transported.
* Orders all states to prevent any Libyan owned, operated, or registered aircraft - or any aircraft believed to be carrying prohibited weapons or mercenaries - to take off, land or overfly their territory without prior approval from the UN committee monitoring sanctions.
* Adds travel bans on the Libyan ambassador to Chad and the governor of Ghat, both directly involved in recruiting mercenaries for the Libyan regime of Muammar Gaddafi.
* Extends an asset freeze to seven more individuals including three additional Gaddafi children, the defence minister, the director of military intelligence, the director of the external security organisation, and the secretary for utilities.
* Freezes the assets of five key financial institutions: the Central Bank, the Libyan Investment Authority, the Libyan Foreign Bank, Libyan Africa Investment Portfoilio, and the Libyan National Oil Corporation.
* Asks Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to establish an eight-member panel of experts to help the UN sanctions committee monitor implementation of sanctions against Libya.

UN resolution: key points - Africa - Al Jazeera English

Back
Top Bottom