What's new

LHC orders construction of Kalabagh Dam!!

If a Karachiti is saying this doesn't mean that someone is teaching them. All the info is on the net. As for 70% revenue it maybe true cuz there is tax on everything in Karachi...just like in USA, NewYorkers pays tax on everything & other states there is almost no tax.

we are also living in this country dear and i have many of my relative there you saying like khi is out of this country :P those taxes on every thing are called Bhatta or Jagga Tax in punjabi :D

Kalabagh is very important for the prosperous Pakistan and should be built after the national consensus is developed. I think every political party in Punjab has always stressed the need of Kalabagh dam but there is a difference of opinion in other provinces. The only it is possible is the new Government in formed in K-P --- preferably Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf's government. They would be the one who would be able to give a go ahead for this project for the future of the country. No party in Punjab would object and if there is such government in K-P you can finally go ahead with this project

we are also living in this country dear and i have many of my relative there you saying like khi is out of this country :P those taxes on every thing are called Bhatta or Jagga Tax in punjabi :D

Bhatta is different illegal thing collected by thugs of different political parties whereas tax is different thing. Tax goes to govt bhatta goes to polititions/mafias.

And i don't understand how you took the impression of "Karachi is out of Pakistan" from my post.:undecided:

Kalabagh is very important for the prosperous Pakistan and should be built after the national consensus is developed. I think every political party in Punjab has always stressed the need of Kalabagh dam but there is a difference of opinion in other provinces. The only it is possible is the new Government in formed in K-P --- preferably Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf's government. They would be the one who would be able to give a go ahead for this project for the future of the country. No party in Punjab would object and if there is such government in K-P you can finally go ahead with this project

Thats what i said in my first post, Kalabagh Dam should be build but take every concern party/province into confidence.

Bhatta is different illegal thing collected by thugs of different political parties whereas tax is different thing. Tax goes to govt bhatta goes to polititions/mafias.

And i don't understand how you took the impression of "Karachi is out of Pakistan" from my post.:undecided:

the way you compare tax system of karachi with new york gave me feeling like u saying karachi is out of this country and we dont know what happens there :D kunda system is also one of invention which give losses of more then 60 billion rupee per annum :D

Is kalabagh dam Ka name badal ke bacha khan rakhdo to anp manjai gi :D

why not name it Bacha Khan Dam and its link Canals SHaheed benzir bhutto canals both provinces will be happy :partay:

the way you compare tax system of karachi with new york gave me feeling like u saying karachi is out of this country and we dont know what happens there :D kunda system is also one of invention which give losses of more then 60 billion rupee per annum :D

why not name it Bacha Khan Dam and its link Canals SHaheed benzir bhutto canals both provinces will be happy :partay:

aks18, yaraaa which Province & City are you from ? :what:

aks18, yaraaa which Province & City are you from ? :what:

I am from Paris of Shahbaz Sharif ( some times turns into Venice in Moon Soon) and now days in Bacha Khan International City came here via SHaheed Benazir Bhutto International Air port looking to move towards Zulfiqaar Ali Bhuttoabad :D

I am from Paris of Shahbaz Sharif ( some times turns into Venice in Moon Soon) and now days in Bacha Khan International City came here via SHaheed Benazir Bhutto International Air port looking to move towards Zulfiqaar Ali Bhuttoabad :D

Currently where are you?

Lahore?

only imran khan will make this happen in coming year INSHA ALLAH :pakistan: Kon bachai ga pakistan ? imran khan imran khan :D :enjoy:

Welcome to Buttistan ! :rofl:

Kalabagh dam should be built without a delay, Kalabagh dam could be used to store water and produce hydro electric, You just have to look at all the floods we had in Pakistan, if Kalabagh dam was in place I'm sure lots of people lives and properties would have been saved, its not about provinces, its about prosperity of Pakistan.

Kalabagh dam should be built without a delay, Kalabagh dam could be used to store water and produce hydro electric, You just have to look at all the floods we had in Pakistan, if Kalabagh dam was in place I'm sure lots of people lives and properties would have been saved, its not about provinces, its about prosperity of Pakistan.

environmental issues will occur cz of this dam fishes will suicide in Dam when they will be not allowed to jump into sea indus dolphins will die of hunger and America will came here to help these fishes another war will start on name of fishes right we need to consider every possible conditions .. rest of developed and developing countries have experimented such projects like america and europe they have serious concerns about our environment cz they have developed them selves and dont want other countries to have environment issues like they are facing after such development in agriculture and industry :D

Editorial in 'The News' of today:

LHC bombshell

Saturday, December 01, 2012

An explosive decision by the Lahore High Court has immediately sent shock-waves reverberating through the country. Hearing a petition from a former World Bank official seeking the building of the highly controversial Kalabagh Dam, Chief Justice of the Lahore High Court Umar Ata Bandial has ordered the federal government to immediately begin work on constructing the reservoir. The decision is based on the fact that in 1991 the Council of Common Interests (CCI) had approved the dam. The unexpected short order from the court also stated that, constitutionally speaking, the construction of the dam should have gone ahead after this CCI agreement. The judge also spoke of problems caused by the extreme energy shortage in the country, something the dam could help resolve. The right of citizens to a supply of power was mentioned as well during the hearings.

Reaction from across the country has poured in immediately. The ruling PPP, which had already stated that work on the dam would not go ahead, the ANP in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the Qaumi Watan Party and other groups have spoken out forcefully against any plans to build the dam. Sindhi nationalist parties have been even more vociferous – expressing anger over the move. In Sindh, opposition to the dam is based on the view that it will cause a further reduction in water flow down the Indus, while in KP the argument goes that several districts will be flooded were the dam to be constructed. These are very real concerns and, while the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf’s call for building a consensus may not be illogical, the fact is that various attempts to do so in the past have failed. There are varying views on the problems the dam will solve or, alternatively, give rise to. We must ask ourselves if we can really afford this at this moment when we already beset with a dizzying range of issues to deal with. As analysts are already stating, it is simply not feasible – or in political terms sensible – to move ahead with the Kalabagh project. The three smaller provinces oppose it; and right now we need to draw our nation closer together, not tear it further apart. The issue of the Kalabagh Dam had died down to a large extent. It is a pity it has cropped up again, creating new frictions at a time when we can really ill-afford them.

LHC bombshell - thenews.com.pk

And the one in 'Dawn'

Kalabagh issue
From the Newspaper

KALABAGH dam enjoys support in the capital of Punjab which is the only unit in the federation backing its construction. For some, the proposal has been a dream for many decades now. For just as long, the ‘smaller provinces’ have opposed the construction of the dam, their opposition intensifying even at the mere hint of attempts to force the project through. But on Thursday, there was more of a thrust — from the blue. The Lahore High Court’s order has been met with the standard objections outside Punjab. In fact, so sensitive is the subject that even those who support Kalabagh’s construction have been guarded in their response to the LHC decision that the federal government is constitutionally bound to start the project in the light of the decisions of the Council of Common Interests. The decisions referred to in the LHC short order were made in the 1990s and called for technical and political issues associated with the dam to be addressed to make the latter acceptable to all.

The court says the project’s fate should not be sealed on the basis of presumptions and surmises, perhaps seeking to put the focus back on the CCI’s calls for evaluation of contentious aspects of Kalabagh. Maybe there is a hope that this would help iron out the differences between the provinces manifested in the anti-Kalabagh resolutions passed by the assemblies of Balochistan, Sindh and the erstwhile NWFP some years ago.

In any event, the matter will ultimately come to the people’s representatives which is only fair. Regardless of whether or not they agree with the court, the politicians have, without exception, spoken of the lack of consensus on Kalabagh in response to Thursday’s ruling. The question is: if it is to be ultimately referred to the politicians why did the LHC have to intervene in the first place? The temptation is there to find an answer in the judiciary’s relationship with a government whose decision to shelve the Kalabagh project “forever” was among its first resolutions. In more recent times the superior judiciary has ruled that a provincial government (in Balochistan) has lost its mandate to govern. It has also sought to fix CNG prices. This approach to addressing problems can be termed risky since it can increase the gap between two pillars of the state which cannot do without each other and must complement one another. The Kalabagh ruling by the LHC has already been dubbed ‘anti-federation’. It could cause — perhaps it already has caused — greater polarisation in a country confronting major provincial and ethnic divisions.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/economy-development/221779-lhc-orders-construction-kalabagh-dam-5.html

Back
Top Bottom