What's new

Let's talk about AL's success and failure in this tenure?

about traffic management I think the main culprit is minister and union leader Shahjahan. He is the one who suggests to give permission to drivers without any permit. What a bullshit. But the flyovers significantly ease the traffic flow. Once Jatrabari flyover opens that will completely change the southern part of Dhaka. Skyline will be as par with Mumbai. lol

The current Jatrabari flyover construction will not reduce traffic congestion. Dhaka needs the following two projects very urgently. AL govt failed to start these projects.

1) A proposed 21 km long expressway to be built by Ital-Thai Company will be connected to all the four/five (?) flyovers. This will make the total length of elevated highway to about 45 km. I think it is quite long.

2) Construction of JICA financed elevated metropolitan railway transport (MRT-6) could not be started. This MRT-6 can carry 60,000/hr during the pick hours. JICA has selected three separate railway routes, mrt-6, mrt-5 and mrt-4 inside the perimeter of Dhaka. MRT-6 and MRT-5 are straight and the third one is a loop line. There will be other three mid-distance lines that will take people out of Dhaka. So, the total is six lines.

Both the Ital-Thai and JICA projects are important, but AL govt failed to start/implement them. I do not care which party comes to power, but I wish it to undertake these two very essential infrastructural projects. However, BNP's BKZ has a very bad ego. She may put these projects on hold just to show her power.

The current Jatrabari flyover construction will not suffice to reduce traffic congestion. Dhaka needs the following two projects very urgently. AL govt failed to start these projects.

1) A proposed Ital-Thai Company built 21 km long expressway that will be connected to all the four (?) flyovers. This will make the total length of elevated highway to about 45 km. I think it is quite long.

2) Construction of JICA financed elevated metropolitan railway transport (MRT-6) could not be started. The maximum number of passengers this MRT can carry is 60,000/hr during the pick hours. JICA has selected three separate railway routes, mrt-6, mrt-5 and mrt-3 inside the perimeter of Dhaka. There will be other three mid-distance lines that will take people out of Dhaka.

Both the Ital-Thai and JICA projects are important, but AL govt failed to start/implement them. I do not care which party comes to power, but I wish it to undertake these two very essential infrastructural projects.

Metro rail project getting final shape | Dhaka Tribune

Lets see if they can start the construction work.

Metro rail project getting final shape

The communication ministry is set to appoint consultant for the Tk220bn work, which will be opened by prime minister ‘soon’

The government is likely to finalise the appointment of a consulting firm for the Dhaka Metro Rail Project, with the target of starting its work from next month.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is expected to lay a foundation stone for the project at Uttara soon. The date will be fixed after the PM returns from New York next week.

MAN Siddique, secretary of the communication ministry’s roads division, told the Dhaka Tribune on Monday that the ministry had finalised preparations for laying the foundation of the construction work.

The secretary, however, declined to disclose the name of the probable consulting firm, saying: “It is yet to be finalised. We will finalise it before arranging the foundation stone setting ceremony. Before getting approval of the (cabinet) purchase committee, it should not be disclosed publicly.”

Meanwhile, the communication ministry is in the final stage of appointing a consulting firm for the project at an estimated cost of Tk9.3bn.

The total expenditure for constructing the nearly 20km metro rail line in the capital has been estimated at Tk220bn.

According to sources at the ministry and Dhaka Transport Coordination Authority (DTCA), the consulting firm will be selected by a technical committee from seven international organisations that bid for the position.

A Japanese company, Nippon Koei Ltd, is apparently on the top of the list as the lowest, and the best qualified bidder fulfilling the government’s conditions.

The DTCA has begun analysing the financial proposal of the company, the sources said. After scrutiny by the technical committee, it will be sent to the cabinet committee on public purchases for approval.

According to DTCA officials, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) on September 3 gave its approval to appoint Nippon Koei as the consulting firm for the metro rail project.

The chosen consulting firm will prepare a detailed design, supervise the construction work and supply the equipment and rolling stocks for the project. It will also monitor and work to improve the management of the mass rapid transit system, they added.

Of the total expenditure, JICA will provide about Tk166bn for consultancy, preparing detailed designs and construction of the rail network.

The Bangladesh government will finance the remaining Tk54bn for land acquisition, rehabilitation of displaced residents and other relevant works.

The metro rail, consisting of high speed electric trains with engines in the front and back, will run from Uttara to Motijheel every 20 minutes, carrying at least 60,000 passengers every hour.

“We have already acquired 14.5 acres (5.9 hectares) of land in Uttara from Rajuk for construction of a metro rail depot. The main construction work will begin in the 2017-18 fiscal year,” a DTCA official said.

The project will be implemented in three phases. A portion from Pallabi to Hotel Sonargaon is expected to start operation in the first phase in 2019. The second portion from Hotel Sonargaon to Motijheel is likely to start in 2020, while the final part from Uttara to Pallabi in 2021.

Infrustracture development was noticable. Many flyovers are made. Infact all the flyovers apart from Mohakhali flyover was build by AL. The good part is govt. gave major projects to army to construct except Jatrabari flyover which is given to an Indian company to build.

Jatrabari flyover is being constructed by the Bangladeshi company Orion Group, if I'm not wrong!

The current Jatrabari flyover construction will not suffice to reduce traffic congestion. Dhaka needs the following two projects very urgently. AL govt failed to start these projects.

1) A proposed Ital-Thai Company built 21 km long expressway that will be connected to all the four (?) flyovers. This will make the total length of elevated highway to about 45 km. I think it is quite long.

2) Construction of JICA financed elevated metropolitan railway transport (MRT-6) could not be started. The maximum number of passengers this MRT can carry is 60,000/hr during the pick hours. JICA has selected three separate railway routes, mrt-6, mrt-5 and mrt-3 inside the perimeter of Dhaka. There will be other three mid-distance lines that will take people out of Dhaka.

Both the Ital-Thai and JICA projects are important, but AL govt failed to start/implement them. I do not care which party comes to power, but I wish it to undertake these two very essential infrastructural projects.

@eastwatch, can you tell me exactly how many MRT routes have been planned? As far as I know, in a transport masterplan for Dhaka prepared in 2005 jointly by JICA and DCC, they proposed six rapid transit routes comprising three Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and three Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) routes. I thought MRT 6 is one of those three routes. There is one BRT route under construction funded by ADB and WB has proposed to fund another BRT route.

Last edited by a moderator:

no amount of flyovers, expressway, etc. will help Bangladesh. the traffic management is poor. cops are corrupt. even in places like Gulshan, Banani, you will find rickshaws, stalls and cars in both sides of a narrow road. buses stop basically in the middle of the road in Bangladesh. its also unfortunate that the so called upper class don't do jack after watching their drivers break law.

Jatrabari flyover is being constructed by the Bangladeshi company Orion Group, if I'm not wrong!

Orion Group appointed Simplex, the biggest Indian flyover construction company to construct the flyover.

Description of the Project:

Name of the Project: Jatrabari-Gulistan Flyover Project on BOOT Basis
Line Ministry: Ministry of Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperation
Govt. Executing Agency: Dhaka South City Corporation
Design Review & Finalization Consultant: Consulting Engineering Services (India) Pvt.
Design Review & Finalization Consultant: Consulting Engineering Services (India) Pvt.Ltd. in association with DCC, Devcon, DUL.
Supervision Consultant: Consulting Engineering Private Limited.
Concessionaries Contractor: Simplex Infrastructure Ltd. India.

BAL is sadhinotar Bipokkhe shokti set by India. Now how does it sound????

Scrap this pokkha/bipakkha theory. JI was against the creation of BD in 71, not now. We have got a new sets of problems aka the Dalali of India aka the BAL of Hasian and co. If you look at the past, you wont see the present issues before you.

JI is still against the creation of Bangladesh. I know a few JI supporter even in the PDF who do not really believe that east was economically exploited by the west for a long 23 years. Unless JI understands and accepts this exploitation, it will not also understand the need and accept the creation of BD. BNP supporters are completely different.

@eastwatch, can you tell me exactly how many MRT routes have been planned? As far as I know, in a transport masterplan for Dhaka prepared in 2005 jointly by JICA and DCC, they proposed six rapid transit routes comprising three Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and three Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) routes. I thought MRT 6 is one of those three routes. There is one BRT route under construction funded by ADB and WB has proposed to fund another BRT route.

Bold part: Yes, you are perfectly right about BRT that it is Bus Rapid Transport. Sorry, I made a wrong statement on BRT in my previous post. I am sending also the excerpt from an essay on the subject that supports your opinion.

However, there will be three Mass Railway Transit or MRT systems in the Dhaka City.

"The purpose of this paper is to introduce the key transport and traffic characteristics in metro Dhaka and to discuss the potential of introducing BRT in Dhaka metro city and restructuring of existing bus network to cater for ever increasing public transport demand towards alleviation of congestion level and achieving a sustainable urban public transport system."

Last edited by a moderator:
Orion Group appointed Simplex, the biggest Indian flyover construction company to construct the flyover.

Description of the Project:

Name of the Project: Jatrabari-Gulistan Flyover Project on BOOT Basis
Line Ministry: Ministry of Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperation
Govt. Executing Agency: Dhaka South City Corporation
Design Review & Finalization Consultant: Consulting Engineering Services (India) Pvt.
Design Review & Finalization Consultant: Consulting Engineering Services (India) Pvt.Ltd. in association with DCC, Devcon, DUL.
Supervision Consultant: Consulting Engineering Private Limited.
Concessionaries Contractor: Simplex Infrastructure Ltd. India.

Thanks not only for the bold part, but also for the entire post, which is educational. However, I would like all to take note or understand one thing about this selection of a local company as the MAIN Contractor over other non-BD contractors.

BD companies were not selected as the main contractor for many important govt construction works before. One reason was BD had little money to finance its own projects and had to borrow from WB, ADB or others.

The lenders required BD to select from those companies who have similar experience. No BD companies had equal experience of a foreign company in those days. So, they failed in pre-qualification bid and were not short listed.

I have noticed that the GoB has selected local companies for the construction of Jatrabari,as well as some other flyovers like Kuril. It is a milestone for our future development. Bangladesh will be tremendously benefited by this decision.

Since our companies will gain experience in survey, design and construction of national expressway or other heavy projects, therefore, they will be eligible to bid for similar international projects in other countries as well in the future.

Once they win tenders in the ME countries, our engineers, surveyors, technicians and skilled workers will be hired by them. Even construction materials like cement and steel bars (rods) also will be exported there.

We have seen Korean and Chinese companies doing similar construction jobs in the ME. A day will shortly come when our companies will do the same that will bring benefit to the entire country.

JI is still against the creation of Bangladesh. I know a few JI supporter even in the PDF who do not really believe that east was economically exploited by the west for a long 23 years. Unless JI understands and accepts this exploitation, it will not also understand the need and accept the creation of BD. BNP supporters are completely different.

JI is against the creation of BD, yet they are running to form BD's govt. crazy logic right there

It is without doubt that JI was against an independent BD. But that is understandable, maintenance of the integrity of Pakistan as a Muslim nation was in itself a not a bad thing. Did BDs not fight and sacrifice for the creation of Pakistan?

But the moment operation searchlight began they should have stopped supporting the army.

JI should be judged on what they do now.

If they are anything but pro BD I would support their elimination. But one mistake should not invalidate them.

I am pro BD and do not wish to see Indian dalali by BAL or dalali by any party on behalf of anyone but the ppl of BD.

The load shedding has started since the day this thread was created. Say Nauzubiallah to AL success. lol

If some are still against the creation of BD after 42+ years, then accept it as the reality, and live with that.

Get used to it. If BNP comes to power in next term, load shading will be a regular thing:lol:.

Back
Top Bottom