What's new

Leaked NATO report claims to expose direct links between ISI, Taliban

will cause unnecessary bloody civil war in Afg again, nobody will benefit, the Afghan people will lose the most, better to find a peaceful compromise.
Hey! Afghan pplz love war , they can't sleep at night if they haven't faught during the day, thats their way of the life.....:smokin:

but when hawks are around and want to influence talibanisation of Afg what can one do?
Don't blame the hawks, the alleged popularity of the Taliban is because of the massive failures and corruption of the NATO propped government, much like when the Taliban first rose to power - their popularity then was because of the massive failures and chaos spread by the warlords, including the Northern Alliance thugs.

can someone please tell me y do we (pakistanis) give sh**s about afghanistan? y r we even there?

Take a look at the map and recall what has happened in Pakistan for the past 10 years. You will get the answer.

Given the choice between Afghan Government and Taliban, it is obvious Pakistan will choose them. If in 13 years the US would have put in place an Afghanistan that was prosperous, stable and friendly to Pakistan we would have chosen different.

Taliban is not a threat to America. They never attacked American soil and don't even have a helicopter to reach America let alone an air force. I don't know why U.S. is wasting trillions of dollars fighting Taliban. U.S. is not in Afghanistan for WTC attacks thats for sure if they were they would be long gone after Bin Laden was "killed".

I don't know what kind of treasure is hidden in Afghanistan's soil that all superpowers try to conquer the piece of land throughout history.

Well if Pak has their support, then at the same time, when NATO leaves, Pak would want a stable Afghanistan. Taliban use should be over... We Pakistanis cannot afford another million afghani refugees. Moreover, we are just trying to clear our mess on our side first, and at the same time if both keep running, then it would be like never ending fighting extremists.

yap, i am sure the leak wasn't intentional and not part of u.s. propaganda against pakistan to coerce it to sacrifice ever more for a strictly american cause

BBC News - Pakistan helping Afghan Taliban - Nato

The Taliban in Afghanistan are being directly assisted by Pakistani security services, according to a secret Nato report seen by the BBC.

The leaked report, derived from thousands of interrogations, claims the Taliban remain defiant and have wide support among the Afghan people.

A BBC correspondent says the report is painful reading for international forces and the Afghan government.

A Pakistani foreign ministry official has called the accusations "frivolous".

"We are committed to non-interference in Afghanistan," the unnamed senior official told Reuters.

The report alleges that Pakistan knows the locations of senior Taliban leaders.

"We have long been concerned about ties between elements of the ISI [Pakistan's intelligence service] and some extremist networks," said US Pentagon spokesman Captain John Kirby, adding that the US Defence Department had not yet seen the report.
'Informational'
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

The Taliban are not Islam - the Taliban are Islamabad”

Senior al-Qaeda detainee, quoted by the report

The BBC's Quentin Sommerville in Kabul says the report - on the state of the Taliban - fully exposes for the first time the relationship between the ISI and the Taliban.

The report is based on material from 27,000 interrogations with more than 4,000 captured Taliban, al-Qaeda and other foreign fighters and civilians.

It notes: "Pakistan's manipulation of the Taliban senior leadership continues unabatedly". It says that Pakistan is aware of the locations of senior Taliban leaders.

It quotes a senior al-Qaeda detainee as saying: "Pakistan knows everything. They control everything. I can't [expletive] on a tree in Kunar without them watching."

"The Taliban are not Islam. The Taliban are Islamabad."

Our correspondent says the report seems to suggest that the Taliban feel trapped by ISI control and fear they will never escape its influence.

However, it states: "As this document is derived directly from insurgents it should be considered informational and not necessarily analytical."

Despite Nato's strategy to secure the country with Afghan forces, the secret document details widespread collaboration between the insurgents and Afghan police and military.

Lt Col Jimmie Cummings, a spokesman for Nato's International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) in Afghanistan, said the document was "a classified internal document that is not meant to be released to the public".

"It is a matter of policy that documents that are classified are not discussed under any circumstances," he said.

The report also depicts the depth of continuing support among the Afghan population for the Taliban, our correspondent says.

It paints a picture of al-Qaeda's influence diminishing but the Taliban's influence increasing, he adds.
Taliban influence
Afghan President Hamid Karzai Afghan President Hamid Karzai wants peace talks with the Taliban

In a damning conclusion, the document says that in the last year there has been unprecedented interest, even from members of the Afghan government, in joining the Taliban cause.

It adds: "Afghan civilians frequently prefer Taliban governance over the Afghan government, usually as a result of government corruption."

The report has evidence that the Taliban are purposely hastening Nato's withdrawal by deliberately reducing their attacks in some areas and then initiating a comprehensive hearts-and-minds campaign.

It says that in areas where Isaf has withdrawn, Taliban influence has increased, often with little or no resistance from government security forces. And in many cases, with the active help of the Afghan police and army.

When foreign soldiers leave, Afghan security forces are expected to take control.

However, according to the report, rifles, pistols and heavy weapons have been sold by Afghan security forces in bazaars in Pakistan.

The report adds that Taliban members "do not receive salaries or other financial incentives for their work", but their operations are funded by the narcotics trade and they frequently take a cut from the trade.

Their main revenue, though, is from donations, and they travel around the country from door to door making no secret of their affliation, it says.

Actually it will be nice in a way.. Once Talibanization of Afghanistan happens, Pakistan will be next in line. If you track the history in the area since 1980's the growth of religious extremism in Pakistan almost traces the same graph as growth of extremism/talibanization in Afghanistan. The sadist part of me almost wishes for this to happen as that will allow all the Taliban sympathizers in Pakistan taste the Taliban rule, what they have been wishing on Afghanistan for last so many years.

But both you and I know that its not gonna happen. These reports are nothing but red herrings to scare the congress in the US into allowing a freer reign to the Pentagon/CIA

You see Talibanization of Afghanistan is good for us, but why is Talibanization of Pakistan being considered good for you? The current secularized set up is more motivated to prevent hostilities against India than a religious set up. The religious in Taliban are more motivated to prevent hostilities against Pakistan which is the reason we prefer them.

In any case we have a good chance of preventing the spillover from Afghanistan. We don't have a chance of preventing hostilities under the Karzai government. So it has to go.

Taliban is not a threat to America. They never attacked American soil and don't even have a helicopter to reach America let alone an air force. I don't know why U.S. is wasting trillions of dollars fighting Taliban. U.S. is not in Afghanistan for WTC attacks thats for sure if they were they would be long gone after Bin Laden was "killed".

I don't know what kind of treasure is hidden in Afghanistan's soil that all superpowers try to conquer the piece of land throughout history.

Is there OIL in afghanistan....just asking :angel:

Is there OIL in afghanistan....just asking :angel:
No idea of oil , but trillions of dollars worth of natural resources, iron ore, copper, natural gas...etc. China already got copper mine while India bagged 3 out of 4 iron ore mine.

No idea of oil , but trillions of dollars worth of natural resources, iron ore, copper, natural gas...etc. China already got copper mine while India bagged 3 out of 4 iron ore mine.

so...US went there only for iron n copper :p:cheesy: no oil :undecided:

You see Talibanization of Afghanistan is good for us, but why is Talibanization of Pakistan being considered good for you? The current secularized set up is more motivated to prevent hostilities against India than a religious set up. The religious in Taliban are more motivated to prevent hostilities against Pakistan which is the reason we prefer them.

In any case we have a good chance of preventing the spillover from Afghanistan. We don't have a chance of preventing hostilities under the Karzai government. So it has to go.

I think it's not about wether talibanisation is good for Pakistan or not. But it will be the natural outcome of Taliban coming to power in Afghanistan. They have repeatedly stated that after Afghanistan, Pakistan is their target of establishing taliabn rule. The problem is that they think this is some Islamic system. So it is natural that they will spread it to Pakistan.

The Sam pakistanis may not like it, but their might be plenty who may welcome it.

Now this is a prime example of diplomatic stupidity. "Disregarding" the leaked report will not make the potential consequences go away. Who is guiding such a stupid response? Homer Simpson?

Leaked US document can be “disregarded”: Khar

KABUL: Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar said on Wednesday that a leaked US military report claiming Pakistan supported the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan can be “disregarded”.

“We can disregard this as a potentially strategic leak…This is old wine in an even older bottle,” she told reporters during an official visit to the Afghan capital Kabul.

The US military said in a secret report the Taliban are set to retake control of Afghanistan after Nato-led forces withdraw from the country, raising the prospect of a major failure of Western policy after a costly war.

Khar, whose visit was the first high-level meeting in months between officials from both countries, added that the neighbours should stop blaming each other for strained cross-border ties.

“We must start engaging in the end of blame games,” she said.

Well, they help others who attack them.Its simple common sense.

Back
Top Bottom