What's new

Latest Ranking of Developed, Developing, and Underdeveloped Nations (HDI Index)

scythian500

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
This is a list of all the countries by the Human Development Index as included in aUnited Nations Development Programme's Human Development Report. The latest report was released on 14 December 2015 and compiled on the basis of estimates for 2014.

Latest HDI (Human Development Index) of countries of the world:

un_human_development_report_2015-svg-png.306337

hdi-blue-2015-png.306340

2015_un_human_development_report_quartiles-svg-png.306338

hdi-blue-2015-png.306339

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

Attachments

• UN_Human_Development_Report_2015.svg.png
    UN_Human_Development_Report_2015.svg.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 2015_UN_Human_Development_Report_Quartiles.svg.png
    2015_UN_Human_Development_Report_Quartiles.svg.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,258
  • hdi blue 2015.png
    hdi blue 2015.png
    4 KB · Views: 1,226
  • hdi blue 2015.png
    hdi blue 2015.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,216
Last edited:
Some countries were not included for various reasons, primarily due to the lack of necessary data. The following United Nations Member States were not included in the 2014 report

North Korea, Marshall Islands, Monaco, Nauru, San Marino, Somalia, India, Pakistan, South Sudan and Tuvalu.

Some countries were not included for various reasons, primarily due to the lack of necessary data. The following United Nations Member States were not included in the 2014 report

North Korea, Marshall Islands, Monaco, Nauru, San Marino, Somalia, India, Pakistan, South Sudan and Tuvalu.

The latest report was released on 14 December 2015... And both India and Pakistan are included in latest report. North Korea is still excluded for obvious reasons though!

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/latest-r...loped-nations-hdi-index.431638/#ixzz49OAd0XhS

Sri Lanka is high HDI
India and BD are medium HDI
Pakistan and Nepal are low HDI.

Sri Lanka should target very high HDI by 2030.
India and BD should target high HDI by 2030.
Pakistan and Nepal should target medium HDI by 2030.

Pakistan will be in Medium HDI countries within few years as the situation of terrorism is improving and also steady improvement in the economy and pakistan is only on the border of Medium HDI

Pakistan Score :0.538(rank 147)
Bangladesh Score:0.570(rank 142)

Above 143 starts Medium HDI countries.

@Scythian @mohsen I don't have much faith in these scores. They should be taken as very, very crude measures. I think if you read my posts you will see I don't like making unconsidered comments. I like to think things through. What happens with these type of scores is they are subjected to inevitable geoplitical bias. India for example will get the benefit of doubt whereas say Iran will have to earn double time to make it anywhere. The same applies to Pakistan.

For example Iraq is listed at 91 and Iran at 92. I mean I am not a expert but that is highly suspect. Gabon in Africa comes above Iran? Marocco is at 98 and India at 99. Give me a break. My brother just spent two weeks in Marocco onn holiday and travelled all over the country. From what he told me and the pictures I saw Marocco is league years ahead of India. He certainly did not see 2 million Maroccons tethered like animals like donkeys - below. f this is not indicative of inequality I have no idea what is. This is not isloated case. Over 2 million Indians are left to earn bread this way. And the tables place Marocco at 98 and India at 99?

01-POD-may-day-IndiaInk-blog480.jpg

Link > https://defence.pk/threads/man-as-beast-india.402799/

Pakistan will be in Medium HDI countries within few years as the situation of terrorism is improving and also steady improvement in the economy and pakistan is only on the border of Medium HDI

Pakistan Score :0.538(rank 147)
Bangladesh Score:0.570(rank 142)

Above 143 starts Medium HDI countries.

What you say is true.

Pakistan may be able to get to the upper half of the medium HDI by 2030 but high income would be out of reach. Pakistan could accelerate it's growth from the current 4-5% but it is hard to see how it can do any more than 6-7% a year, bearing in mind it's heavy defence expenditure burden - 3.5% of GDP as opposed to half that for both BD and India.

BD is currently growing at just over 7% a year and this is with the worst infrastructure in the whole of S. Asia. When the current mega-projects are completed over the next 2-7 years then we shall start seeing 8-9% a year sustained growth rate. When this is combined with the low population growth of only 1% a year, HDI will grow leaps and bounds between now and 2030.

When a student doesn't like his marks, he blames the teacher!

You are certainly getting a lot of use out your Indian poverty p0rn pics. Please keep in mind that there are approx a million homeless people in the good old US of A too and the USA Is a high HDI region. ...though you wouldn't think so driving around Appalachia.

Being medium HDI does not preclude the existence of poor people indeed it means that there are many poor people but NOT as many as in a country with LOW HDI.

@Scythian @mohsen I don't have much faith in these scores. They should be taken as very, very crude measures. I think if you read my posts you will see I don't like making unconsidered comments. I like to think things through. What happens with these type of scores is they are subjected to inevitable geoplitical bias. India for example will get the benefit of doubt whereas say Iran will have to earn double time to make it anywhere. The same applies to Pakistan.

For example Iraq is listed at 91 and Iran at 92. I mean I am not a expert but that is highly suspect. Gabon in Africa comes above Iran? Marocco is at 98 and India at 99. Give me a break. My brother just spent two weeks in Marocco onn holiday and travelled all over the country. From what he told me and the pictures I saw Marocco is league years ahead of India. He certainly did not see 2 million Maroccons tethered like animals like donkeys - below. f this is not indicative of inequality I have no idea what is. This is not isloated case. Over 2 million Indians are left to earn bread this way. And the tables place Marocco at 98 and India at 99?

01-POD-may-day-IndiaInk-blog480.jpg

Link > https://defence.pk/threads/man-as-beast-india.402799/

I know this post was not directed at me but let me answer some of your points below:

Gabon is a tiny country with a population of just over 1 million. It has a GDP capita/PPP of 22,400 dollars. The main reason for it's wealth is oil and the fact that most of it's population are of one ethnicity, the Bantu. Another example of an African country is Botswana that has a GDP capita/PPP of around 18,000 dollars and that is also dominated by a single ethnicity called the Tswana.

As for Morocco and India, you may be right that the common Moroccan has a better life than the common Indian. What gives India a slightly higher HDI is that a larger chunk of the Indian population has a lifestyle where they have access to good food, education and recreational facilities. India is more unequal than Morocco and so you will see more poverty in India than in Morocco but the average HDI will be roughly the same.

Actually Morocco is more unequal than India not the other way around. I think it has more to do with outliers in a very large population.

A huge population will have more people at the extremes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

I know this post was not directed at me but let me answer some of your points below:

Gabon is a tiny country with a population of just over 1 million. It has a GDP capita/PPP of 22,400 dollars. The main reason for it's wealth is oil and the fact that most of it's population are of one ethnicity, the Bantu. Another example of an African country is Botswana that has a GDP capita/PPP of around 18,000 dollars and that is also dominated by a single ethnicity called the Tswana.

As for Morocco and India, you may be right that the common Moroccan has a better life than the common Indian. What gives India a slightly higher HDI is that a larger chunk of the Indian population has a lifestyle where they have access to good food, education and recreational facilities. India is more unequal than Morocco and so you will see more poverty in India than in Morocco but the average HDI will be roughly the same.

Last edited:
As the security situation is improving drastically in Pakistan, one can hope to see it in medium league no later than 2018. That will be the time when the energy issues will also be lowered due to massive energy projects linked to CPEC being operational by the end of 2017.

@farhan_9909

Gabon is a tiny country
I am aware of the oil. The tiny population. La la. However check out Iranian literacy rates and poverty rates. They are far better than Gabon. Poverty rates in Gabon are over 32% and are below 9% in Iran. You may well ask me why I am prepared to cite one set of figures but dismiss others. The reason is common sense. Iran has been a competant state for century plus. It has had oil for over half a century. Gabon got oil yesterday and and was a banana state the day before by comparison.

Iran > http://data.worldbank.org/country/iran-islamic-republic
Gabon > http://data.worldbank.org/country/gabon

HDI is that a larger chunk of the Indian population has a lifestyle where they have access to good food, education and recreational facilities
True but a bigger chunk of Maroccans enjoy the same facilities than Indians. On top of that poverty is far less intense and the pool is tiny in comparison to the ocean in India. Despite all this Marocco is just next to India. Give me a break. My brothers impression of Marocco was a poorer version of Spain or Southern Europe. India does not even make it into the same universe (Pakistan included) yet it is positioned next to India.

What we have here are two factors. (i) How well figures are collated and reflect the reality of the economy (ii) How those figures are used by external agencies. That is they do not let bias creap in. Do they try to be objective or let subjectivity run rampant.

If you go Pakistan's FATA region with almost 5 million people. You will see the population that is well fed, well clothed and well housed. Certainly far better than Indian's in slums cities. These peole probably eat more meat in one weak than others do in one month. Yet their economic output is zero as regards the Pakistan government. The regions economy is entirely unrecorded. The same can be said for other regions of Pakistan if only that they are slightly better recorded. On paper these people should be starving, naked and homeless. Pakistan fares real bad on these scores first because it has largest black economy amongst the large countries of the world. Second it get's the rough end of the stick by Western analysts. Google FATA people and this is what you get.

Link > https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fata+people&biw=952&bih=420&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj34fCIle7MAhXqAsAKHee7Cj8Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=Ds7miiTdKA_llM:
Link > http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-04-05/the-secret-strength-of-pakistans-economy

Back
Top Bottom