What's new

Lata Mangeshkar Almost became a Pakistani

Yes, another great singer.
I could mention many more great singers from that era.

Perhaps someone should start a thread, purely for Pakistani singers of yesteryears.
So, only videos and information to be added to increase knowledge.
Not pictures, but substantive stuff that increases knowledge about them.

I'm afraid I do not qualify for that role.

I don't mean to belittle Lata ji. Her songs will always invoke a huge amount of nostalgia for me. But they will do so also because of the music and lyrics and not just the singing. Personally I found her voice too high pitched, not a natural voice for any actress of any generation. More natural sounding voices never got their due in Bollywood until the late 90s/early 2000s.

Sir Jee: aap nain hamaara dil taurh diya. Noor Jahan aur Lata bar bar janam naheen laiteen.

I'm afraid I do not qualify for that role.

Tau phir koyi "meeraasi" PDF poster dhoondhain. :p:

Sir Jee: aap nain hamaara dil taurh diya. Noor Jahan aur Lata bar bar janam naheen laiteen.
Aisi baat nahin hai Sir ji. I am myself a big fan of her songs. But not so much her voice. I thought it was too melodious, for lack of better description. More importantly, that sort of voice became a sort of benchmark for how a female playback singer should sound. When newer voices came, they were temporarily celebrated as fresh, but then consigned to the dustbin (like Nazia Hasan, Usha Uthup, Ila Arun, Runa Laila). So we kept getting more 'melody queens' like Alka Yagnik and Anuradha Paudwal.
It was only in late 90s and early 2000s that singers like Kavita Krishnamurthi and Sunidhi Chauhan brought in some real change and now we have playback singers who sound like the actual women in our lives. More believable and relatable. That was also the beauty of Nusrat sahab - I could imagine people in real life who would sound like him.

Aisi baat nahin hai Sir ji. I am myself a big fan of her songs. But not so much her voice. I thought it was too melodious, for lack of better description. More importantly, that sort of voice became a sort of benchmark for how a female playback singer should sound. When newer voices came, they were temporarily celebrated as fresh, but then consigned to the dustbin (like Nazia Hasan, Usha Uthup, Ila Arun, Runa Laila). So we kept getting more 'melody queens' like Alka Yagnik and Anuradha Paudwal.
It was only in late 90s and early 2000s that singers like Kavita Krishnamurthi and Sunidhi Chauhan brought in some real change and now we have playback singers who sound like the actual women in our lives. More believable and relatable. That was also the beauty of Nusrat sahab - I could imagine people in real life who would sound like him.
Nusrat was like no other singer, wish he didn't eat and drink as much as he did

Would have pushed the SC music genre to a whole another level, died too young

As he was genuinely famous across the globe not just in Urdu/Punjabi/Farsi speaking areas

There was something in his voice that was untrained and unique
Like you don't hear that kinda voice often
That's why his father refused to train him and instead chose his brother

As according to him his voice was too off/weird for him to become a proper singer
How wrong was he

Nusrat was like no other singer, wish he didn't eat and drink as much as he did

Would have pushed the SC music genre to a whole another level, died too young

As he was genuinely famous across the globe not just in Urdu/Punjabi/Farsi speaking areas

There was something in his voice that was untrained and unique
Like you don't hear that kinda voice often
That's why his father refused to train him and instead chose his brother

As according to him his voice was too off/weird for him to become a proper singer
How wrong was he
This is going OT, but I have to say that I like imperfections if they are backed by solid talent in some other department. Music after all has many dimensions, melody is just one of them. Lucky Ali is besura, but has a unique voice and is soulful. Mohit Chauhan of Silk Route was in a similar mould. NFAK pulled it off with sheer passion and energy. Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits is no great singer either but I love listening to their songs.

There is a weight in what you are saying. She was far too melodious, like a nightingale or "koyel". It may be that I belong to an older generation, and we cannot come out of the psychological and emotional grip of voices of Lata, Noor Jahan and Asha. So, yesterday was a heavy day.

But not so much her voice. I thought it was too melodious, for lack of better description.

Her voice was not the only thing. Her extraordinary rendition of notes and expressions was also, what gripped many people, like Noor Jahan, me and other millions, perhaps above billion. For example her song, in film Naubahar (1952) "ae ri man tau prem deewaani", composed by Roshan, in Raag Bhim Palasi, was extraordinary. I have heard score of songs, ghazals, qawwalis, folk music, in this Raag; but, no one comes near to what Lata rendered.

Her voice was not the only thing. Her extraordinary rendition of notes and expressions was also, what gripped many people, like Noor Jahan, me and other millions, perhaps above billion. For example her song, in film Naubahar (1952) "ae ri man tau prem deewaani", composed by Roshan, in Raag Bhim Palasi, was extraordinary. I have heard score of songs, ghazals, qawwalis, folk music, in this Raag; but, no one comes near to what Lata rendered.
I have to admit, I have not heard too many of her very early renditions and certainly not from a technical perspective. Neither am I qualified to do so. I am in my mid forties and her best work was already behind her when I was grown up enough to appreciate these aspects. So yes, I agree there must be more to her than just her voice. For me she along with other singers of her era (both male and female) are vehicles for beautiful nostalgia trips, into a time that exists only in my imagination.

I have to admit, I have not heard too many of her very early renditions and certainly not from a technical perspective. Neither am I qualified to do so. I am in my mid forties and her best work was already behind her when I was grown up enough to appreciate these aspects. So yes, I agree there must be more to her than just her voice. For me she along with other singers of her era (both male and female) are vehicles for beautiful nostalgia trips, into a time that exists only in my imagination.

You are perfectly right. I belong to a generation older than yourself. I am 63. So, may be, for us Rafi, Talat, Manna Day, Noor Jahan, Lata, Asha, etc. etc. have a different aura. We possibly heard their voices in our cradles. But, somehow, I believe that, perhaps, India wouldn't get a Lata and Pakistan wouldn't get a Noor Jahan.

Last edited:

Tau phir koyi "meeraasi" PDF poster dhoondhain. :p:

I didn't get this notification, came across it by chance.

Why not, meeraasi are the movers and shakers of society these days.
The days of walking the streets are long gone lol

Back
Top Bottom