What's new

Large bomb goes off in Bangkok

I would say that most likely he has to be part of a group, unless he is an explosives expert and knows how to get the explosives in Thailand, but that's a bit unlikely.

More will be revealed soon.

Well I could be wrong but I don't remember Asians having a lone-wolf mentality, which is somewhat common in the US.

If he works with a group, it could either be from those who are at odds with the current junta, or terrorists from the south.

Well I could be wrong but I don't remember Asians having a lone-wolf mentality, which is somewhat common in the US.

If he works with a group, it could either be from those who are at odds with the current junta, or terrorists from the south.

Yes and also global jihadis, Thailand did get their attention when they sent those refugees back to China.

National police chief Somyot Pumpunmuang said the bomb tossed from a bridge at Bangkok’s Sathorn pier and yesterday’s bombing of the Erawan shrine are the work of the same perpetrators.

After inspecting the scene at the busy Chao Phraya River boat terminal, Pol Gen Somyot said divers were able to recover a half dozen metal fragments of the pipe bomb thrown from the Taksin road and rail bridge near the waterway and the BTS Saphan Taksin station.

The device bounced off a post and into the nearby canal where it detonated harmlessly, sending up only a large plume of water. There were no injuries or damage.

Explosive ordnance disposal technicians found TNT was used in both devices, which had been stuffed into a metal pipe with a timed fuse.

The Sathorn bomb was estimated to have a blast radius of 35-50 metres, less than half of the bomb left under a bench Monday night at the Hindu shrine at the Ratchprasong intersection.

Pol Gen Somyot said he believed there were more than one person behind the two bombings and they likely disguised themselves before launching Tuesday's failed attack.

The Sathorn bombing took place at 1.20pm, but half the pier remained open with boat operations continuing as normal. Police closed Sathorn Road to traffic from the pier to the Saphan Taksin Skytrain station to investigate.

Assistant police chief Prawut believed the perpetrator wanted to throw the bomb onto a busy walking platform leading to the pier but missed. CCTV footage taken at the time of the explosion showed people running down a causeway over the canal to escape the blast.

Police initially dispatched divers into the canal to try to recover any surviving pieces of the bomb that Transport Minister Prajin Juntong called an "improvised explosive device". Later, sandbags and pumps were brought into to drain the impact area to hasten the search for evidence.

Sathorn pier is a major terminal linking Chao Phraya River commuter boats and the nearby Skytrain station. It's also a major tourist stop, especially for Chinese tour groups.

ACM Prajin said the Sathorn bomb was an IED that was thrown. An IED is also blamed for Monday's devastating explosion at the Erawan shrine that officially has left 20 dead and 125 injured.

Yes and also global jihadis, Thailand did get their attention when they sent those refugees back to China.

Most likely this is ISIS related. Lots of talk in Japanese defense forums regarding this and it's assumed it is Daesh related.

Talks also of boots on the ground . But that's not confirmed, just what I've been hearing --- and my sources are from active intelligence officers in the JMSDF. Just talks tho , just talks.

Not just the Uighyur issue, other issues as well.......

Arab-like man seen leaving bag at Erawan shrine before explosion

The Nation August 18, 2015 9:04 am

A police source said police are now hunting for a suspect with an Arab look who was seen leaving a bag at the Erawan shrine shortly before the blast occurred.
The man was seen on a security camera sitting on a bench in the compound of the shrine after leaving his bag behind the bench.

After a while, he was seen standing and making a dial from his phone and walking fast from the area.

Police spokesman Pol Lt-Gen Prawut Thavornsiri confirmed Tuesday morning that so far 20 people were dead and 125 injured in the blast happened at 6:55 pm Monday.

Arab-like could be any semitic people, including the terror organisation Mossad.

Possibility of inter-coordination with Islamiyaah Jeemah --- they were responsible also for the Bali bombing several years back. Japanese Intelligence have traced many of their operatives to splinter cells of AQ, as well as Daesh. It could be supposed that there may be a connection with JI.

Possibility of inter-coordination with Islamiyaah Jeemah --- they were responsible also for the Bali bombing several years back. Japanese Intelligence have traced many of their operatives to splinter cells of AQ, as well as Daesh. It could be supposed that there may be a connection with JI.

If it is the terrorists, then I guess the JI found a "replacement" for Marwan after the PH SAF took him out earlier this year.

As I can see, all attentions are being directed to the patsies aka AQ/ ISIS (well, that's their purpose) instead of the root.

Why reactive policies ? why are'nt there any pro-active policies ? Intel is getting lax.

The problem is that JI is "complex" for a lack of a better word. Their activities are transnational; they have operatives in Indonesia (verified), Malaysia (verified), the Philippines (verified) and Thailand (speculated, not yet verified).

The extermination of JI would be hard as they have a significant following in the countries i mentioned and they blend in with the local population.

They are funded internationally as well; from wealthy middle eastern states -- the names of which I will not mention.

religion of peace strikes again. When will enough be enough?

You're late to the party. Your dullard friends have already been through this and have got it wrong and been made to look very silly.

Thailand's junta leader Prayut Chan-O-Cha described it as the 'worst ever attack' on the kingdom, adding that the suspect was believed to be from country's north-east – the heartland of the anti-coup Red Shirt movement.
Prayut also said he believed Facebook messages apparently warning of an imminent danger to Bangkok ahead of the bomb came from an 'anti-government group' based in that area.

'We are looking for them now, some of them are in Isaan (northeastern Thailand),' he added.

The problem is that JI is "complex" for a lack of a better word. Their activities are transnational; they have operatives in Indonesia (verified), Malaysia (verified), the Philippines (verified) and Thailand (speculated, not yet verified).

The extermination of JI would be hard as they have a significant following in the countries i mentioned and they blend in with the local population.

They are funded internationally as well; from wealthy middle eastern states.

Does'nt this make a good case for international co-operation against Terror ?
Why is the international community so tardy in this respect ? We even saw the Chinese Govt. reluctant to step up when Terrorist Organisations were being named in the UN. Now there is a price to be paid for that.

Even the GCC is coming on board this joint effort as we just saw; which led to so much consternation and uproar among our pakistani colleagues on this forum. But nobody can escape from having to make this choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom