What's new

Language identity in India

That is not possible...we can never ever give away our mother tongue....states based on language are created so that every major language gets special status in her respective state...

Imagine how a kid will learn to read, write and speak in his mother tongue if language based states are dissolved and thus dissolving our current education system...

It also creates division among the people and division breaks the nation. We can still learn our mother tongue as an optional for all where everyone can choose their own mother tongue.

Another India and Pakistan fighting post. Guys there are 250 other countries in the world too.

I personally think India should break up in to different countries, this is the only way to solve hindu racism against others. I think, Muslims, Sikh, Christians, Jain, Buddhists all should have their own land and their own identity, not hindu identity being forced down their throats.

Your country is similarly formed. So look before you leap. :lol:

India is a powder keg.

One ethnicity is bound to be exploited and announce their independence.

I always found Tamil Indians different from the rest.

They are usually smart, nice, and don't have hate towards Muslims or Pakistan.

I feel like Indians in general ride on the backs of the successful segments of their society.

Sorry to burst your bubble,

But in reality Pakistanis are most racist towards tamils,mocking their language/food/customs and so on....

They do hate the muslims equally if not more,even though their opinion towards pakistan is very neutral.

and you are not a natural redneck cowboy,being that or not being that.

Karnataka seems to be a state created without putting any thought into it....Belgaum is largely Marathi speaking area and it ended up with Karnataka...Similarly many Tulu speaking areas are struck with karnataka...

On the other hand there are many kannada speaking areas in Maharashtra near Karnataka border...something needs to be done about this soon..

You are not completely correct. The Mahajan Commission held that Belgaum should stay with Karnataka (also recommended merger of Kasargod, a Kannada speaking area in Kerala into Karnataka) & its population is almost evenly divided between Kannada speakers & Marathi speakers. Tulu speaking areas will go where? Tulu speakers are almost all bilingual & unlike what is said in the article have a very rich history in Kannada literature with the dialect of Kannada spoken by them being widely regarded by almost all the people of Karnataka as the sweetest form.

Karnataka is different from other S.Indian states because of the number of languages indigenous to the state and how that plays out in an identity with the connection of the state to the main language(Kannada). There is no real inter-language friction in Karnataka. The more important part is the bit about how the language of Kannada itself is so intrinsically connected to Hinduism (also Jainism) and how cultural practices that have evolved for over a 1000 years allows for very little input from non-Hindu/Jain traditions. Not intentionally but that is how it has played out. I posted this because I have always found this question of a Hindu cultural identity fascinating and because this particular argument is one that runs through many Indian languages & practices. The breaking of the coconut, the lighting of the lamp, saluting by namaste are all culturally Indian but they are also underpinned by their roots in Hinduism. At what point do these practices become a purely cultural expression & religion neutral? Not as clear cut an answer as many would like to assume.

Its important factor but it divides the people.

every body has his own right to conserve his culture.u cant force anybody to do something which he is not comfortable.today we have many states solely based on language.so u mean they dont feel that they are indian??

Back
Top Bottom