What's new

Landmark film opens Indian eyes to life in Pakistan

sng

New Recruit

Reaction score
A Letter from NEW DELHI, to Herald: Of all the flattering headlines that greeted the release last week of the first Pakistani film to be shown in India in four decades, one stuck in the mind of the director Shoaib Mansoor.

"We didn't know that Pakistan had such good houses," the headline went, Mansoor recalled in an interview in Delhi.

It was a striking reminder of how little people in India know about the way their immediate neighbors across the border live.

For the past 43 years no Pakistan-made film had been distributed commercially to cinemas in India until Mansoor's "Khuda Kay Liye" ("In the Name of God") premiered here April 4 - a fact that has contributed to widespread ignorance in India about modern Pakistan.

This week, Indian filmgoers were offered a rare glimpse of life on the other side, the architecture, the unfamiliar landscape, the homes and the lifestyles. The film provided an unusual opportunity for audiences here to peer into the lives of middle-class Muslims in Pakistan, a country geographically close, but set apart by such entrenched political hostility that very few Indians have ever visited it.

"Indian films never stopped coming to Pakistan, on DVDs," Mansoor said. "So every Pakistani is absolutely clear about the way of life in India, about how everything works in India. But there is nothing coming in the other direction, with the result that India has very clear misconceptions about Pakistan."

His film was edited in Delhi, where he was, he said, "shocked by the ignorance" of Indian colleagues in the cutting room. "They had very surprising ideas about Pakistan. They asked 'Do you have taxis there?', 'Can women drive?' 'Are women allowed to go to university?' They thought Pakistan consisted entirely of fanatics and mullahs.

"The opening of films between India and Pakistan will really help people know each other. These films will help these misconceptions to go away. People here will start seeing Pakistan as it really is."

Aside from their incidental curiosity at the unexpected beauty of Pakistani houses, filmgoers and reviewers have also been struck by the insight offered by the film into the difficulties of being a liberal Muslim in Pakistan after 9/11.

The film, which won the Silver Pyramid Award at the Cairo International Festival in 2007, shows two brothers, both talented musicians, living in Lahore, growing apart as they embrace different readings of Islam. One is brainwashed by the local mullah, abandons his Sufi rock group and his rich, liberal parents in their beautifully decorated home, and heads off to join the Taliban. The other leaves Pakistan to study music in Chicago, where he falls in love with America and marries an American before being arrested and subjected to Abu Ghraib-style torture by officials who are suspicious of his Muslim background, erroneously convinced that he played a role in the planning of the 9/11 attacks.

"That is the tragedy that a Muslim faces in these days," Mansoor said. "We are beaten up by fundamentalists, with the label that we are too Western, and when we go out of the country, we are labeled as fundamentalists just because we have Pakistani names."

The acting is patchy, but beneath the numerous plotlines, Mansoor successfully rams home his point: "All Muslims are not terrorists."

"People need to understand that Pakistanis are not all rabid fundamentalists."

He has been pleased by the response in India. "People clapped here at the same places people clapped in Pakistan. That's a good sign."

The Indian film critic Subhash K Jha, said it was a film everyone in India should see "to understand the isolation, to understand what it feels like to be deemed a terrorist, to be frisked extra hard, the pain and the humiliation."

"I don't think that is easy to understand as a Hindu."

But he warned that the film would not have obvious appeal to most Indian viewers. "Sadly, not too many people will be interested to see a film that reveals life as a Muslim, so its impact will be rather restrained. It is not a pot-boiler, it doesn't have the audience-pulling big stars, it doesn't have any item numbers."

The Bollywood scriptwriter Javed Akhtar described it as a "very bold and honest film."

"Ignorance breeds suspicion and suspicion breeds hate, it creates huge villains," he said. "There is a lot to be heard and seen by Indian and by U.S. audiences here too."

The Indian certification board recommended a couple of cuts before approving the film for release (removing a reference to Muslims being killed in Indian-controlled Kashmir), but Shailendra Singh, managing director of Percept Pictures, the firm responsible for distributing the film, said the process of bringing the film to India had been surprisingly easy, and the initial box office response encouraging. He said he thought the film, which cost $1.5 million to make, would recoup $2.5 million over the next three months in India.

"We felt like we were being part of history," he said.

Attachments

• 11letter550_resize.jpg
    11letter550_resize.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 45
I know from my own experience that majority in India has misconception about the way things are done in Pakistan, mostly due ignorance and lack of objective media coverage.

Its a good thing that this movie will be released for Indian audience, a unique chance for millions to see Pakistan.

I haven't see a Pakistani movie for more than a decade, I'll fore sure download this one?

From the movie "Khuda ke Liye"

Soundtrack:
[youtube]

Trailers:
[youtube]
[youtube]
[youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard this film is doing good business in India. I hope more Pakistani films are shown in India. The same amount of Pakistani films should be shown in India, as Indian films are shown in Pakistan.

Just finished watching the movie, its brilliant! Apart from steriotyping some cases the story is quite credible and confronting and covers aspect of both modest and extremly religious society.

The film is about the difficult situation in which Pakinstanis in particular and the Muslims in general are caught up since 9/11.

There is a war going on between the fundamentalists and the liberal Muslims. This situation is creating a drift not only between the Western world and the Muslims but also within the Muslim community. The educated and modern Muslims are in difficult situation because of their approach towards life and their western attire. They are criticized and harassed by the fundamentalists and on the other hand the western world sees them as potential suspects of terrorism just because of their muslim names.

This paradox is resulting in great suffering for a forward looking Muslim. This is the theme of the film "Khuda Ke Liye".

Look at the picture above.

On one hand a slutty Indian movie, while on the right Kuda Ke Liya with a mosque in the background.

Such is the cultural change!

Ohh I didn't notice the thumbnails..lol.
Khuda kay Liyee is sold out, beating the 'slutty movie' :cheers:

I know from my own experience that majority in India has misconception about the way things are done in Pakistan, mostly due ignorance and lack of objective media coverage.

100% SPOT ON SIR. Even in south of the country we atleast in the intellectual circuit have German , Polish, Dutch and French films making rounds, but I have never come across Pakistani movies.

Indians do have preconceived notions just like Pakistanis have preconceived notions aboout Indians across the border. I think this is a first step towards public diplomacy and the government of Pskitan and India should do much more in contributing and exchange culture . Here I do not mean special screenings or cultural troops that are acccessible to elites but should target and promote to a wider audience.

Look at the picture above.

On one hand a slutty Indian movie, while on the right Kuda Ke Liya with a mosque in the background.

Such is the cultural change!

Brilliant !!! Dear Webmaster,
I appreciate your sharp analytical critic capabilities which is observed as you have shown by accessed even minor details of background mentioned in picture and sarrounding of it.

Just to be clear, Khuda ke liye differentiates between an extreme in Life of Pakistan and the moderate life of Pakistan.

There are many many other lifestyles. Many other extremes and many other middles.

Love two songs from it, although I'm against people singing songs in the movies.

Khawar - Bandeya ho
And another one called Allah. The voice seems like Gurdaas Maan from India. But I can be worng.

:Dhere in saudia arabia canima is ban .i cant see any film of world:lol:

Now Playing in India: A Rare View of Pakistan

286e572b8f78e9184709a6973d278f59.jpg

NEW DELHI — Of all the flattering headlines that greeted the release this month of the first Pakistani film shown in India in four decades, one stuck in the mind of its director, Shoaib Mansoor.

“We didn’t know that Pakistan had such good houses,” the headline said, Mr. Mansoor recalled in an interview here.

It was a striking reminder of how little people in India know about their neighbors across the border.

For 43 years no Pakistan-made film had been distributed commercially to movie theaters in India until the opening here of Mr. Mansoor’s movie, “Khuda Kay Liye” (“In the Name of God”). That absence has contributed to widespread ignorance in India about contemporary Pakistan, a country set apart by such entrenched political hostility that few Indians have visited it.

The release of the film, which broke all box office records in Pakistan last year, was hailed here as a significant moment in the slowly progressing India-Pakistan peace talks.

The Pakistani government imposed a ban on the distribution and broadcast of Indian movies after the war between the countries in 1965, one of three wars they have fought since the region was split by partition in 1947. No formal reciprocal order was issued by India, but initial political hostility to the idea of showing Pakistani films was superseded in later years by commercial considerations.

In the second half of the 20th century, the Pakistani film industry, known as Lollywood, slipped into severe decline and produced little meriting distribution in India, which is well served by its own film industry, Bollywood.

Despite the ban, pirated copies of Bollywood hits have always been hugely popular in Pakistan. And in 2006, with improving political ties, the Pakistani government gradually began to relax its approach, allowing a limited number of Indian films to be screened legally in theaters.

The effect has been a cultural two-way mirror dividing the countries, with Pakistan able to observe India (or a gaudier Bollywood version of India), but with Indians unable to see beyond their own frontiers.

“Indian films never stopped coming to Pakistan, on DVDs,” Mr. Mansoor said. “So every Pakistani is absolutely clear about the way of life in India, about how everything works in India. But there is nothing coming in the other direction, with the result that India has very clear misconceptions about Pakistan.”

His film was edited in Delhi, where he was “shocked by the ignorance” of Indian colleagues in the cutting room, he said.

“They had very surprising ideas about Pakistan,” Mr. Mansoor recalled. “They asked: ‘Do you have taxis there?’ ‘Can women drive?’ ‘Are women allowed to go to university?’ They thought Pakistan consisted entirely of fanatics and mullahs.”

Aside from their incidental wonderment at the unexpected beauty of Pakistani houses, filmgoers and reviewers have been struck by the insights the film offers into the difficulties of being a liberal Muslim in Pakistan after 9/11.

The film shows two brothers, both talented musicians in Lahore, growing apart as they embrace different readings of Islam. One falls under the influence of the local mullah, abandons his Sufi rock group and his rich, liberal parents in their interior-decorated home and heads off to join the Taliban.

The other leaves Pakistan to study music in Chicago, where he falls in love with the United States and marries an American. But he is then arrested and subjected to Abu Ghraib-style abuse by officials who are suspicious of his Muslim background, erroneously convinced that he played a role in planning the Sept. 11 attacks.

“That is the tragedy that a Muslim faces in these days,” Mr. Mansoor said. “We are beaten up by fundamentalists, with the label that we are too Western, and when we go out of the country, we are labeled as fundamentalists just because we have Pakistani names.”

The acting is patchy, but beneath the numerous plotlines Mr. Mansoor drives home his point that “all Muslims are not terrorists.”

“People need to understand that Pakistanis are not all rabid fundamentalists,” he said.

He has been pleased by the response in India. “People clapped here at the same places people clapped in Pakistan,” he said. “That’s a good sign.”

An Indian critic, Subhash K. Jha, said everyone in India should see the movie “to understand the isolation, to understand what it feels like to be deemed a terrorist, to be frisked extra hard, the pain and the humiliation.”

“I don’t think that is easy to understand as a Hindu,” he said.

But he said the film would not have obvious appeal to most Indian viewers. “Sadly, not too many people will be interested to see a film that reveals life as a Muslim, so its impact will be rather restrained,” he said. “It is not a pot-boiler; it doesn’t have the audience-pulling big stars.”

A Bollywood script writer, Javed Akhtar, described “Khuda Kay Liye” as a “very bold and honest film.”

“Ignorance breeds suspicion and suspicion breeds hate; it creates huge villains,” he said. “There is a lot to be heard and seen by Indian and by U.S. audiences here too.”

The Indian certification board recommended two cuts before approving the film’s release, removing a reference to Muslims being killed in Indian-controlled Kashmir. The other cut was from a speech near the film’s end and reflected concerns about offending Muslims in India.

But Shailendra Singh, managing director of the Percept Picture Company, which is distributing the film, said the process of bringing it to India had been surprisingly easy, and the initial box office response encouraging. He predicted that the film, which cost $1.5 million to make, would earn $2.5 million over the next three months in India.

“We felt like we were being part of history,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/16/world/asia/16india.html

well, it is true that indians dont know much about pakistan. but i would urge pakistanis not to associate indian movies with life in india. most bollywood movies are a real far cry from life in india. for instance, most of our girls dont dress like bollywood sluts, we dont get into fights were one guy beats up an entire armed gang and we definitely dont dance in the rain singing music that came into our heads when we are in love, with a bunch of people suddenly appearing out of nowhere and mimicing all our moves to perfection!

and we definitely dont dance in the rain singing music that came into our heads when we are in love, with a bunch of people suddenly appearing out of nowhere and mimicing all our moves to perfection!

:woot:

Dammit!

There go my elaborate plans to deal with that situation when I visit India!

:partay:

well, it is true that indians dont know much about pakistan. but i would urge pakistanis not to associate indian movies with life in india. most bollywood movies are a real far cry from life in india. for instance, most of our girls dont dress like bollywood sluts, we dont get into fights were one guy beats up an entire armed gang and we definitely dont dance in the rain singing music that came into our heads when we are in love, with a bunch of people suddenly appearing out of nowhere and mimicing all our moves to perfection!

su-47 where do you put up in India btw?? it was Cochin right?

Really good movie, I will suggest most of people in India go and see the movie.
But I failed to understand what is unimaginable about Pakistan's life in movie? The house where two hero live? Its very obvious that an industrialist or business man can afford such kind of house.

After seeing movie, I can say, this is what I always imagined about Pakistan, a society with some liberal, and hardliner who are putting their own youth on wrong path and making country and religion week.

Movie is true depiction of Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom