What's new

Land Version of K 4 Under Development?

I know composite materials and composite motors reduce the weight of missile.

However propellant accounts for 75 to 80 % of missile weight, so unless a very powerful propellant has been used which results in dramatic decrease in mass and weight of propellant, the missile can not lose so much weight.

Any literature for the empty weight , fuel weight , etc of Agni 3 ??

However propellant accounts for 75 to 80 % of missile weight, so unless a very powerful propellant has been used which results in dramatic decrease in mass and weight of propellant, the missile can not lose so much weight.
One liter of gasoline can accelerate a 1000kg vehicle faster than with a 2000kg vehicle, and run the 1000kg vehicle longer distance as well. We have the same amount of energy but for different vehicle masses. We can achieve TOTAL vehicle weight reduction with:

- Vehicle mass
- Propellant mass
- Combination of both

I believe the lady was talking about total vehicle weight but the reduction was on vehicle, not propellant, mass. Reduction of propellant mass will increase acceleration, of which the propellant contributes to total mass, but will reduce distance. So unless there came a new propellant that will produces the same amount of energy and efficiency but with lower mass, it is better to work on reducing vehicle mass.

One liter of gasoline can accelerate a 1000kg vehicle faster than with a 2000kg vehicle, and run the 1000kg vehicle longer distance as well. We have the same amount of energy but for different vehicle masses. We can achieve TOTAL vehicle weight reduction with:

- Vehicle mass
- Propellant mass
- Combination of both

I believe the lady was talking about total vehicle weight but the reduction was on vehicle, not propellant, mass. Reduction of propellant mass will increase acceleration, of which the propellant contributes to total mass, but will reduce distance. So unless there came a new propellant that will produces the same amount of energy and efficiency but with lower mass, it is better to work on reducing vehicle mass.

But the figure of 22 tons suggest that such powerful propellant is already under development

Other possibilities are its typo or they are talking about K-4 or as one member suggested, hybrid version of Agni-3 and K-4.

But the figure of 22 tons suggest that such powerful propellant is already under development

Other possibilities are its typo or they are talking about K-4 or as one member suggested, hybrid version of Agni-3 and K-4.
It may be a combination of both. But my point was that 40% weight reduction, empty or total, is not extraordinary. An excellent achievement, yes. But nothing unusual.

If we have reduced the weight of missile by 40% its a great news now its easy to transport, hide and will have greater ranger. :)

This thread was so informative in lots of ways. well done guys

@AhaseebA : What's your thought on this ??
I think that the statement is either incomplete or misquoted because that much reduction in overall weight is highly unlikely. The mass of the propellent alone is something like 75-80%. Maybe she was referring to a redesigned, all-composite version of Agni-III with some new and more efficient propellent.

I guess you guys should hold your horses and wait for a more clear statement on this matter.

It may be a combination of both. But my point was that 40% weight reduction, empty or total, is not extraordinary. An excellent achievement, yes. But nothing unusual.

Let there be ghee shakkar in your mouth :D

After seeing the OP, the Sengupta's claim of Agni 5 weighing 23 ton makes sens.

Perhaps he was hinting at new version of Agni 5 which will go under same process the Agni 3 will go-as OP says.

I think that the statement is either incomplete or misquoted because that much reduction in overall weight is highly unlikely. The mass of the propellent alone is something like 75-80%. Maybe she was referring to a redesigned, all-composite version of Agni-III with some new and more efficient propellent.

I guess you guys should hold your horses and wait for a more clear statement on this matter.

Agreed. But gambit says 40% weight reduction, empty or total, is not extraordinary. An excellent achievement, yes. But nothing unusual.

After seeing the OP, the Sengupta's claim of Agni 5 weighing 23 ton makes sens.

Perhaps he was hinting at new version of Agni 5 which will go under same process the Agni 3 will go-as OP says.

IIRC , he said A5 weighs 28 tons .

Maybe the A3 , Tessy Thomas was talking about must be after they reduced the payload .

Just my guess: there has been a great deal of work on both reducing Structural Weights as well as some New Propellant. Both can achieve dramatic results in Launch Vehicle weights.

@gambit has explained the scientific principles involved quite well as he usually does. AFAIK, even the Saturn Launch Vehicles had a string of improvements during its service life.

All said and done; the K family will have substantial improvements (which we will progressively come to know) over the earlier Agni series.

Just my guess: there has been a great deal of work on both reducing Structural Weights as well as some New Propellant. Both can achieve dramatic results in Launch Vehicle weights.

@gambit has explained the scientific principles involved quite well as he usually does. AFAIK, even the Saturn Launch Vehicles had a string of improvements during its service life.

All said and done; the K family will have substantial improvements (which we will progressively come to know) over the earlier Agni series.

I will be happy if indeed new Agni 3 weighs 22 or even 32 tons (without reduction in payload).

Back
Top Bottom