What's new

Lal Shabaaz urs: Scorching heat claims 34 lives

Proudpakistaniguy

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
723729-copy-1403109511-215-640x480.jpg

Thousands of devotees have gathered at Sehwan for the 762nd urs celebrations. PHOTO: APP

HYDERABAD:
Death continued to visit the devotees of Lal Shahbaz Qalandar on the second day of the urs and the taluka hospital had reportedly received 34 bodies by Wednesday evening.

At least 12 people died on Wednesday, according to the medical superintendent of Sehwan taluka hospital, Dr Moinuddin Siddiqi. Nine of the deceased were identified as Mairajuddin, Asif Gul and Arif Gul from Lahore, Shafqat Hussain from Gujaranwala, Abdul Razzak from Abbottabad, Dost Muhammad from Peshawar, Matiullah Khan from Karachi, Muhammad Mushtaq Shahani from Nawabshah and Gul Hassan from Sanghar.

Siddiqi said that all of the victims, except one, had died due to heat stroke. The mercury peaked at 46 degrees centigrade. The Met office has forecasted the temperatures to remain as high for the next few days.

Hundreds of thousands of people, mainly from the Punjab and Sindh, visit the small town of Sehwan during the urs celebrations of the Sufi saint. The 762nd urs has attracted between 500,000 to 600,000 visitors according to unofficial estimates.

Not enough shelter

The hotels and guest houses in the town are far less to be able to accommodate such a large number of visitors. Locals often vacate their houses and rent them out for a few days to the devotees. However, this temporary facility could also not meet the demand of accommodation as the poorer visitors either stay at the shrine or pitch up tents on the town’s outskirts.

According to Dr Siddiqi, most of the bodies they have received were from these tents.

“We don’t come here to enjoy facilities,” said Ilahi Bux, who had come to the hospital to take away the body of his 45-year-old cousin, Muhammad Hashim. The two belong to Rahim Yar Khan district. “It’s our aqeeda (faith) in Lal Shahbaz that brings us here. The more hardships we endeavour, the greater aqeedat (devotion) we show to our murshid.”

Dozens of bodies piled up at the mortuary of the taluka hospital had caused an unbearable stench in the trauma centre and other wards. The MS said that the morgue’s capacity is limited and over a dozen unidentified dead bodies were lying there.

The unknown deceased are buried by the Edhi Foundation. However, Edhi’s regional incharge Muhammad Mairaj told The Express Tribune that they had only received permission to bury the dead in Sehwan’s graveyards on Wednesday evening.

“We were not permitted to bury the dead people in Sehwan and had to shift them to Hyderabad or Dadu districts for burial.” According to him, Edhi currently has 14 unidentified bodies whose burial will start by Wednesday night.

Whats the festival celebrating or about? What do they do and why do something that is not fardh rather is can cost you your life!
Is life that worthless?

Whats the festival celebrating or about? What do they do and why do something that is not fardh rather is can cost you your life!
Is life that worthless?
No that life is not worthless, These people go and visit the graves of Auliya Allah to pay their respect and make a bond, so when the day of Judgement comes, these Auliya Allah will Beg Allah SWT's mercy for these people and get them into Jannah!

Why people risk their lives for such urs...to attend such gathering is not obligatotry/fard on Muslims
Is life that worthless?
On the authority of Abu Huraira who said: The Messenger of Allah (upon whom be Allah’s blessings and peace) said: “Allah the Almighty has said, ‘Whoever has mutual animosity with a friend (wali) of Mine, I declare war upon him. My servant does not draw near to Me with anything more beloved to Me than the religious duties that I have imposed upon him; and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory work such that I love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes, and his leg with which he walks. Were he to ask of Me, I would surely give him; and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.” (Recorded in al-Bukhari)

No that life is not worthless, These people go and visit the graves of Auliya Allah to pay their respect and make a bond, so when the day of Judgement comes, these Auliya Allah will Beg Allah SWT's mercy for these people and get them into Jannah!

On the authority of Abu Huraira who said: The Messenger of Allah (upon whom be Allah’s blessings and peace) said: “Allah the Almighty has said, ‘Whoever has mutual animosity with a friend (wali) of Mine, I declare war upon him. My servant does not draw near to Me with anything more beloved to Me than the religious duties that I have imposed upon him; and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory work such that I love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes, and his leg with which he walks. Were he to ask of Me, I would surely give him; and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.” (Recorded in al-Bukhari)
But mind you the Wali is dead....No one does that to the Prophet of ALLAH....

Allah always said ask me and I will give so why ask HIS creation when HE is open to give? Was ALLAH joking in the Quran? I never understood this habit of seeking shortcuts...

BTW, what guarantee do we have the dead one is truly in the positive list?

Allah always said ask me and I will give so why ask HIS creation when HE is open to give? Was ALLAH joking in the Quran? I never understood this habit of seeking shortcuts...
Thats totally a misunderstanding, Everyone does ask Allah for everything but ask yourself are we deserving enough to get what we ask from Allah SWT? , People go to Prophet Muhammad SAW's Roza Mubarak all the time!

What about when ALLAH said that if you do sabr (repeated all over the Quran) or if you do good deeds and stay firm, if you ask ALLAH and all this ...what is the value of any of this when you can go murder, respect a dead man and hope all is well?

I am sorry for my language...but such things never made sense to me...

Also let me ask you, have you ever heard of Owais Al Karni?

Thats totally a misunderstanding, Everyone does ask Allah for everything but ask yourself are we deserving enough to get what we ask from Allah SWT? , People go to Prophet Muhammad SAW's Roza Mubarak all the time!
Well, they go to his Roza Mubarak to give read durood not to ask him....When he died his companions were the 1st to acknowledge it...that he is no longer with us! Quran acknowledged that the miracle is the Quran...Why not open it? is it that much of a burden then committing suicide at a shrine in the heat?

What about when ALLAH said that if you do sabr (repeated all over the Quran) or if you do good deeds and stay firm, if you ask ALLAH and all this ...what is the value of any of this when you can go murder, respect a dead man and hope all is well?

I am sorry for my language...but such things never made sense to me...
No it won't be all well, Allah SWT is Great, he has a system in place, where Justice is for ALL

Though I'm not a muslim, Can I answer you on this one as I have read in one of our holy books regarding the same question?

Well, they go to his Roza Mubarak to give read durood not to ask him....When he died his companions were the 1st to acknowledge it...that he is no longer with us! Quran acknowledged that the miracle is the Quran...Why not open it? is it that much of a burden then committing suicide at a shrine in the heat?
People open it and read it and believe me these people when they read it, they understand it unlike others who read it just to say they read it

Well Shahbaz Qalandar converted almost all of Sindh into Islam with his knowledge so I'm pretty sure that he was in the positive list

Though I'm not a muslim, Can I answer you on this one as I have read in one of our holy books regarding the same question?
sure go ahead...

Well Shahbaz Qalandar converted almost all of Sindh into Islam with his knowledge so I'm pretty sure that he was in the positive list
Hmmm...true...but why do many hate Dr. Zakir Naik ...he also got soo many taking oath in front of him? Not that I am comparing a few tens of people to that of almost the whole of Sindh!

No it won't be all well, Allah SWT is Great, he has a system in place, where Justice is for ALL
true...But lets just say there was such a system to by pass the normal way of getting forgiveness...Dosnt it send a different msg in the minds of many (as it already has) ...
Many are like udher say "manat mango" uss minar par ja ker doa kero qabul ho jai gi...Why not Pray for once with a sincere heart to the MOST ALMIGHTY, MOST MERCIFUL?

Also let me ask you, have you ever heard of Owais Al Karni?
Nope who is he?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom