What's new

Lahore Girls school set ablaze in broad day, government sat and watched!

Sunni tehrek has never done anything like burning girls school nor do I see them ever doing anything like that.

There re countless girls schools in Lahore and no tehrek has ever touched them. Op of the thread in an attempt to take a shot at Punjab govt out of sheer hatred for them has created an inflammatory titles and has ended up making a mockery of his own country.

Which seems to be quiet common a trait among my fellow Pakistanis. Become an accessory of mocking your nation out of political allegiance. And look at the mods making it a sticky.

The Frankenstein of blasphemy & intolerance devouring our society... slowly and gradually....

Couldn't agree with you more. It is not only the illiterate and the uneducated but the people who rule the Urdu media that are guilty. Since these are the opinion makers such bigots are in reality responsible for propagating intolerance in the society. Ayaz Amir has written a very apt column on this. He is referring to Hamid Mir & Ansar Abbasi articles published in Jang of Nov.1, 2012.

Hurricane Sandy: Americans getting it wrong....Islamabad diary

Ayaz Amir
Friday, November 02, 2012
From Print Edition

147 49 87 3

I clicked on Google and got this article from The New York Times which wondered…”Did the enormous scale and damage from Hurricane Sandy have anything to do with climate change?”

It went on to quote several distinguished climate scientists who agreed that the human race had messed up the environment, leading to climate change, but that it would take years before anyone had all the answers about how the winds rose over the ocean and wrought such destruction.

“My profession hasn’t done its homework,” says a climate scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Kerry Emanuel, cited in the article. “I think there’s going to be a ton of papers coming out of this, but it’s going to take a couple of years.”

Clearly, American scientists are worrying themselves unnecessarily. If only they could take time out to read some Pakistani newspapers they would save themselves a lot of trouble and have their doubts removed in an instant.

A journalist with whom I often find myself in talk-shows, to my great joy I need hardly add, has expressed the definitive opinion that Hurricane Sandy is God’s punishment visited upon the American people for the Californian film blaspheming the Holy Prophet.

Excerpts from his column: “How could the Lord of the Worlds remain silent over (this blasphemy)? Of what account a superpower against the might of my Lord? ...Only a few weeks after (the blasphemous film) powerful America has been hit by such a calamity that until yesterday intoxicated by pharaonic power it today presents a picture of the utmost helplessness.”

In between he says that Muslims across the world were expecting nothing from their rulers, all American toadies, or from the Organisation of Islamic Countries. And they were dismayed. But how could my Lord remain silent? He doesn’t say it but the implication is clear that the US deserves every bit of what it has got, although what connection there might be between the benighted film-maker and the millions hit by the hurricane comes out less clearly.

We can therefore rest easy. The Almighty took notice of a film that any ordinary filmgoer would have found unworthy of notice and, moved to uncontrollable wrath, sent down the thunderbolts of His vengeance on the modern-day Philistines, the American people. This in a widely-read newspaper, on the living page. And there would be any number of Pakistanis, rest assured, who would say how very true…and be in raptures over the notion of divine retribution.

The same day another article shed light on the reaction among Indian Muslims to the hanging of Ghazi Ilm Din in 1929, convicted of the killing of Ram Gopal, a Hindu who had published a book disrespectful of the Holy Prophet. It said the event had a profound impact on the Muslim mind and may have been responsible for moving Iqbal to sound the demand for a separate Muslim homeland in India. There would be few more singular takes on the Pakistan movement, this explanation opening up a whole new field of historiography.

None of this should be surprising. History has not been among our strong points. We are more at home with fantasising and mythology, the history taught in our schools a tribute to this world of make-believe. And I suspect that because as a nation we tend to live in the clouds it is so much harder for us to come down to earth and deal with the problems of this world, as opposed to those of the hereafter.

The years pile up and as they do my morbidity grows that our mental state is fast reaching the point of no return, if that fatal milestone has not been crossed already. Substances deeply embedded become one with the soil. Some shibboleths take such a hold of the mind that the mind becomes one with those shibboleths. This is close to being our condition.

What holds Pakistan back? Not so much the energy crisis, balance of payments or the Taliban, symptoms of our distress, as this mental condition, in full display in our reactions to different happenings. Let me not be too specific, issuing fatwas having become a national pastime. Those who should stand up make a virtue of expediency, swaying to the winds howling across the landscape, instead of giving some kind of lead to the masses.

Does anyone from amongst our armies of the devout think that a hurricane, however calamitous, will break America? How many people have died in Hurricane Sandy? A few dozen. And if such a thing had happened here, would we have coped as well? We have a hard time handling our floods even though knowing they will come we should be better prepared.

And talking of divine vengeance, for what accumulation of sins was the 2005 earthquake a punishment? If for corruption and related failings then it is decidedly odd that the corrupt amongst us are flourishing like never before. If we still persist with the divine theme then it also becomes necessary to ask why the poor, the lowest of the low, suffer the most whenever a natural calamity occurs. The meek shall inherit the earth but one has to look real hard for evidence to support this divine assurance.

Theology is part of our lives, part of the baggage of the human species as it emerged out of the African forest and spread across the globe. Our theologies are inherited, passed down from one generation to the next, a circumstance which should teach us humility and inculcate in us a sense of tolerance for the beliefs of others, but one we choose to forget in the din and heat of theological rancour.

Then there is the history of modern Muslim countries which makes for such depressing reading, lands so easily conquered and colonised, and when seemingly liberated so imperfectly liberated. So little to be proud of, yet look at our cockiness…a visitor from Mars would think we had created the modern world. Across the dull, uninspiring ferment of the world of Islam’s recent past only one figure stands out, only one, who had the will and the strong arm to break the shackles of the past and show a new path for his people, Kemal Ataturk.

You’ll find poets here, poets of love and despair, of unfulfilled longing – Faiz’s poetry is one long lament, one paean to unrequited love – but what strange luck of the draw that all the inventors, scientists, warrior-statesmen, revolutionaries, even great poets, titans in their field, who adorn and, in so many instances, darken the pages of modern history are from other climes. As far as talent and genius go, the lands holding aloft the banner of the faith present the aspect of an extended desert – not of the imagination, because we are fertile in imagination, but a desert of achievement.

The status quo is broken always by radicalism, of thought and action. Consider the curse we carry. The only radicalism we have is of the Taliban and the blaring loudspeakers of the far right. Even a Mustafa Kemal would have a hard time putting this right.

Tailpiece: Lord Shiva’s teardrop, shed at the death of his beloved Sati, is to be seen again at Katas Raj, the pond having been cleaned up and the natural springs flowing again freely. But could the Punjab archaeology department do a better job of preservation and could my friend the chief secretary please ensure that there is no more lime washing of the old walls? Enough in the name of preservation has already been done to destroy the brooding magic of the ancient temples.

Email: winlust@yahoo.com

Hurricane Sandy: Americans getting it wrong....Islamabad diary - Ayaz Amir

Unquote

Sunni tehrek has never done anything like burning girls school nor do I see them ever doing anything like that.

There re countless girls schools in Lahore and no tehrek has ever touched them. Op of the thread in an attempt to take a shot at Punjab govt out of sheer hatred for them has created an inflammatory titles and has ended up making a mockery of his own country.

Which seems to be quiet common a trait among my fellow Pakistanis. Become an accessory of mocking your nation out of political allegiance. And look at the mods making it a sticky.

I agree with you. I have never found Sunni Tehreek or Braelvi mosques indulging in sectarian or anti-female education activities. Such acts are the preserve of the Deobandis. This must be an isolated incident of an especially bigoted mullah. Nevertheless burning of any private building by a mob is a criminal act and should be condemned.

Furious 200-strong mob ransack Lahore's leading girls' school after a female teacher 'set blasphemous homework'

More than 200 furious protestors ransacked a leading girls' school in Lahore this week after claims that a teacher insulted the Prophet Muhammad.

The angry mob descended on Farooqi Girls' High School, set fire to furniture and burnt out the head teacher’s car on Wednesday. And, on the wall of the building, the mob graffitied: 'School management are blasphemers.'

The Islamic hardliners became incensed after a teacher at the prestigious private school allegedly made a mistake while copying Islamic text from an exercise book and then distributed the text to her students.

the protestors reportedly were mainly teenagers and travelled in from outside Lahore, the second largest city in Pakistan.
An inquiry has now been set up to investigate the destruction of the school, parts of which were left in ruins after the attack.
Police used batons to control the protestors as firefighters worked to put out blazes on Wednesday.

The teacher was in hiding today but the school’s 77-year-old principal has been arrested and remains in police custody.
Meanwhile, the school’s management have today denied all responsibility for the ‘dirty act’ and called for the teacher, Arfa Iftikhar, to be punished.

Ms Iftikhar allegedly set homework - for her students to do during Eid holidays from 26 to 29 October - which supposedly made derogatory references to the Prophet Mohammad.

Today, the school took out front page adverts in two leading newspapers denying that it had any knowledge of the alleged insults to the Prophet.

The adverts claimed that Ms Iftikhar had distributed the work just 10 minutes before the school closed for the Eid al-Adha holiday.
Translated from Urdu, the advertisement read: ‘Our school management and the owners have no link whatsoever with this dirty act.’
‘We appeal to the government and the police to take legal action against this teacher and investigate her real motive.’

According to the AFP, a search has been launched for Ms Iftikhar and Asim Farooqi, the school’s headmaster, has been remanded in custody for 14 days on charges of blasphemy.

Pakistan’s laws on blasphemy are extremely strict and charges can carry the death penalty.

Mr Farooqi's lawyer, Jawad Ashraf, told the AFP that he planned to appeal for bail for his client on Saturday.
Sameer Asim Farooqi, Mr Farooqi's son who also works at the school and is now in hiding, described the way the protests unfolded as 'strange'.

He said: 'It seems that an organised gang attacked our school. The attackers were mostly teenagers and they had batons in their hands, but some of them were also armed (with firearms).’

He added that Ms Iftikhar had been fired on Tuesday after parents called up and pointed out her mistake.

She was fired despite telling the principal that she had made a mistake when copying out the passage.

There have also been suggestions that the attacks were part of a conspiracy against the school, which is one of the most respected and successful within the Lahore area.

Authorities have said that if the inquiry reveals that the school administration was not to blame, action will be taken against those who vandalised the school.

Amnesty International’s South Asia Director Polly Truscott told MailOnline: 'Reports about the ransacking of Farooqi Girls' High School by a mob deeply troubling, but sadly, unsurprising. There have been many such incidents in recent years.

'We're glad to hear that an inquiry is already underway but such inquiries tend to fizzle out. It's critical that the police and judiciary ensure that the attackers are swiftly brought to justice, and those whose lives are still at risk are fully protected.

'In the recent past individual members of the public have killed people they for suspected blasphemy, and often where no formal charge has been brought by the authorities

Furious 200-strong mob ransack Lahore's leading girls' school after a female teacher 'set blasphemous homework' | Mail Online

To those two poster above, the thread title is edited by some mod... mine was simple "Girls's school in Lahore set on fire by Sunni Tehrik".

secondly, the government in charge is responsible for security and maintenance of law and order, whoever, it maybe... I dont need to say much on that, my likeness for some other party doesnot change this fact...

if you have problems with Sunni Tehrik being labelled, prefer to ask MQM wallas who is giving them tough time in Karachi in Bhatta khori in certain areas...

P.S.

Parents, students and teachers protest to reopen the closed school

41BB39E7-1B69-4A61-8DBA-AF59255CC7C1_w640_r1_s.jpg

Local residents weeping during visit to the site of Farooqi Girls School, which is closed for last four days over a blasphemy issue.

2870.jpg

the school was set on fire by Sunni Tehrik

.... is there any non muslim country with blasphemy laws....?

UK had Blasphemy laws but these were abolished in 2008. Don’t know the status now but there were Blasphemy laws in the US. There was the famous Scopes Monkey trial in 1925, where a teacher was found guilty of blasphemy against Bible for teaching Darwinian Theory of evolution in Tennessee. A certain Mr Charles Lee Smith was tried in 1928 for writing a pamphlet about evolution in Arkansas. A Florida teacher was prosecuted for teaching evolution theory in 2008. However punishment was only a few hundred dollars fine.

There is a blasphemy law in Israel with maximum punishment up to 3 years. There are blasphemy laws in New Zealand, Holland and Spain. But to the best of my knowledge nowhere punishment is death except in Saudi Arabia & in Pakistan.

UK had Blasphemy laws but these were abolished in 2008. Don’t know the status now but there were Blasphemy laws in the US. There was the famous Scopes Monkey trial in 1925, where a teacher was found guilty of blasphemy against Bible for teaching Darwinian Theory of evolution in Tennessee. A certain Mr Charles Lee Smith was tried in 1928 for writing a pamphlet about evolution in Arkansas. A Florida teacher was prosecuted for teaching evolution theory in 2008. However punishment was only a few hundred dollars fine.

There is a blasphemy law in Israel with maximum punishment up to 3 years. There are blasphemy laws in New Zealand, Holland and Spain. But to the best of my knowledge nowhere punishment is death except in Saudi Arabia & in Pakistan.

There are a few States with laws that make a reference to blasphemy, but they cannot be enforced because Federal law and the Constitution prohibit them on grounds of the First Amendment.

The US Supreme Court has ruled that "It is not the business of government in our nation to suppress real or imagined attacks upon a particular religious doctrine, whether they appear in publications, speeches or motion pictures." (Joseph Burstyn, Inc v. Wilson, 343 U.S. 495 (1952))

There are NO enforceable blasphemy laws in USA presently.

There are blasphemy laws in New Zealand, .
To date the only prosecution for blasphemous libel in New Zealand has been the case of John Glover, publisher of The Maoriland Worker (a newspaper), in 1922. Glover was acquitted. The maximum punishment is one year imprisonment. No one can be prosecuted without the consent of the Attorney General.

Only one case ever and no convitions

How could Pakistanis be behind such an heinous act?

It must be the Uncircumcised Indian looking Pakistanis backed, sponsored, armed, fed, trained, TTP by CIA and RAW who have struck against Pakistan.

I think an appropriate response would be to march and burn down some American Fast Food Restaurant Chain in Pakistan.

Who is with me? :D

^^ you seem hungry for some zinger feast :D count me in buddy !!

I visited the school today, one teacher told me that all four branches of the school were vandalized by Sunni Tehrik and Jamiyat terrorists, it was an organized crime by Madni masjid walay mullah and allah masjid wala mullah(main leader of this crime) !!

they are spreading false rumours that the principal converted to Qadiyanism 5 years ago.....

oh these jahil mullahs and pakistani awam !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom